Author Topic: On Biking  (Read 16187 times)

adam

• Bristles
On Biking
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »
I put a comment in the actual blog post but figured it would be easier to carry on the conversation here.

As I've stated many a time, this summer we will move back to my house which is just about 4 miles from work, instead of 80 miles.  I thought that I would like to bike there, but my wife says it will be too dangerous.  There are a couple things here:
1) Basically only one route on very busy roads
2) I can't really cut any corners because I have to go through a security checkpoint.
3) I only have a beach cruiser (single speed, slow) at the moment, but it could at least get me started.

Here is my route:
http://g.co/maps/g6s38 going from north to south (A->B)

North Rhett is a split 4 lane 55mph road that cuts to 35mph at Yeamans Hall for about a half mile, then goes back up to 45 until I leave it.  This road is usually bumper to bumper at rush hour with people trying to get to 526.

If you look east down Remount road you will see my other issue.  A container port with big trucks coming in and out non stop all day.  There are accidents and deaths due to this all the time.  Most recently a guy on a motorcycle was killed right by the gate about 2 weeks ago.  Remount is another 4 lane road (45mph), with a suicide lane that usually backs up to the light from people lining up to turn left into the gate.  Also I'd need to turn left into the gate with the oncoming death trucks.

Once on the base I'd be fine.  Once back home in the neighborhood I wouldn't be as safe (twisty for a little while), but definitely safer than on the big roads and I wouldn't worry as much, but its still a concern.

Maybe if I can cut across to the Kangaroo gas station on the corner where I need to turn left I can ride the grass on the left side of the road all the way up to the gate and avoid that part....  I don't know, it just doesn't look good.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:29:38 PM by adam »

Enphuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: On Biking
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
It looks like that route has sidewalks or shoulders for most of the busy road portions.  Take a full lane crossing the bridge and use the sidewalk if there are no pedestrians.  Cross the dangerous intersections by getting off of your bike and walking across like a pedestrian if you need to.  It will slow you down, but it will get you there safely.  You really won't know how safe it is until you try biking it.  If you feel a portion is unsafe, you can always walk around it.

If you die at 50 of a heart attack, they won't list "driving to work every day instead of biking" as the cause of death, but it's probably true.  Just some food for thought.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »
Can you take Hanahan Rd over the water to Old Point Rd (looks like there's a dirt cut through) and then hop onto N Murray Ave from there?  Murray looks like it goes right to Remount Rd.

It might be a little bit longer, but probably not by too much...

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »
Visibility is usually the biggest issue.  I suggest a bright orange vest (or jacket if the weather permits), and flashing lights on the bike.  Even during the day bright flashing lights can be seen.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
Can you take Hanahan Rd over the water to Old Point Rd (looks like there's a dirt cut through) and then hop onto N Murray Ave from there?  Murray looks like it goes right to Remount Rd.

I imagine they will also have gates all around blocking access, but I can look into it when we get back.  Seems like a good adventure day either way.

So lets say that works.  What do I do on the 4 lane + suicide lane Remount road when I have to turn left into the gate?  Ride in the right lane till I get there and try and scoot across? Ride in the left lane and risk... well... death by truck?

Enphuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:08:41 AM »
Which would be more preferred if you had to ride on a busy road like that:

1) Leave early, there will be less traffic, but it will be moving faster

2) Leave later, traffic will probably be at a standstill the whole way down North Rhett, but the line in the suicide lane to get in the gate would also be backed up. (So maybe I try and ride in the grass?)

Enphuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
I personally prefer more traffic moving slower.  Both have their own risks, but riding past a bunch of cars stuck in traffic is always good for a chuckle.  Riding with traffic is a little better because the cars aren't moving faster than you, but you'll have to keep a sharp eye out for people turning left and cars moving over to the right.

I would completely avoid the suicide lane for turning left.  You don't want to be stuck in the middle, use the box turn method shown in the animation I linked above.  You'll just cross the street like you are going straight and then get in front of traffic going towards the gate on the cross street.

Just go out and ride it once, maybe on the weekend if you are worried about the traffic.  You'll find that some of the dangers you worry about have really simple solutions that are apparent when you are on the ground looking at it.  The best way to increase your safety is to have a helmet, a rear view mirror, blinking front and back lights and wear your reflective belt.  Also, don't be afraid to take the whole lane any time it's too close for cars to pass.  Don't give them the option to pass and they won't.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
I agree that I need to get eyes on the ground to check the validity of some of this.  Regarding the left turn, it's a T intersection so I can't use the box turn method.  Directly across from the gate access road is some kind of warehouse parking lot for 18 wheelers, no lights or anything.

Although, it may be safer to go down past the left turn and do a U turn where it is likely to have much less congestion.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »

I imagine they will also have gates all around blocking access, but I can look into it when we get back.  Seems like a good adventure day either way.

So lets say that works.  What do I do on the 4 lane + suicide lane Remount road when I have to turn left into the gate?  Ride in the right lane till I get there and try and scoot across? Ride in the left lane and risk... well... death by truck?

Looks like you can cut through the commerce circle industrial area and avoid Remount Rd all together, assuming it's safe... I'd just go exploring and see what you find.  There might be some paths and cut throughs that you don't know about. 

For example, I bike to crossfit 3 times a week and there many different ways to get there.  Some involve hopping over a train track or cutting through a parking lot -- the longest one involves following a bike path the entire way.  Some are safer than others, but I wouldn't have found most of them without exploring.

EDIT: looks like cutting through Murray park would work... there might even be a faint line for a path over there... getting over to Perimeter Rd as an alternative route might also work.  Anyway, I think there are a bunch of options to investigate here...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:50:35 AM by Mrs MM »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
As a 10-year suburban bike commuter (plus 8000+ miles of cross-country bike touring, including through Charleston a year ago!), I'd say that on the whole, this actually looks like a pretty sweet route.  Starting from your house, going to work:

- Foster Creek Rd., might be one of the worst sections, since there are no shoulders, and the lane isn't super-wide, but it should be wide enough and the intermittent median gives extra room for cars to slide over.
- Tanner Ford Blvd. looks pretty good, Street View shows there's plenty of room for a car and bike side-by-side.  Though with the concrete curbs (unlike on Foster Creek), make sure you don't get squeezed *too* close to them.
- Rhett is pretty much an ideal cycling road.  Big-ass shoulders (including over the bridge), so you should have this awesome "bike lane" all to yourself, and if there's lots of fast-moving traffic, you can even get a sweet draft off of that to make your pedaling easier.
- Once you cross the bridge, the marked shoulder unfortunately disappears, but it looks like it maintains a wide outside lane for the whole stretch, which is nearly as good.
- Remount Rd. looks the worst, but it's a pretty small stretch of the whole ride, so should be survivable.  I generally use left turn lanes like cars do, and despise sidewalks, but in this case, depending on how tight the lanes actually are and how much traffic there is, I might do the "pedestrian left" from Rhett to Remount, and then take the sidewalk on the south side of Remount.  There aren't *too* many curb cuts along that section of sidewalk, but there are enough where the chance of getting hit by a car entering/exiting one of those driveways is still likely greater than the chance of a car rear-ending/sideswiping you if you just stayed on the road. 
- Then on the way back home it would be a decision between crossing back over to the south side and taking the sidewalk back (even *more* dangerous at the curb cuts because drivers exiting the driveways never look for a cyclist coming from the right), riding in the grass on the north side, or just riding in the road.  That's the sort of thing where experience will be your guide, and you'll weigh pain-in-the-ass-ishness vs. perceived danger.  In my experience, you get less scared over time about being in the road, and eventually you ditch the sidewalk/grass routes for the more-efficient direct routes.

The #1 key for this route will be a mirror, particularly a helmet-mounted mirror.  Most of the time it will just give you confidence by making realize that all the cars coming up from behind you *do* see you and give you space, but then it will also be critical if you want to find gaps and slide across into left-turn lanes.

Edit: as far as *when* to ride, do it whenever Google took its Street View photos and aerial photos!  There is essentially NO traffic in any of their images, it makes me wonder if you're making all this Death Truck stuff up.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:55:16 AM by skyrefuge »

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Checking the street view it does look like N. Rhett is the least of my problems, but I also noticed something else that may help!  Between commerce circle and remount it looks like there's a bit of a dirt/grass path under the power lines I can use to cut the corner.  It just means I'll have to try and cross the street with no light or crosswalk though....  So even if the area right off commerce circle is fenced off I can still turn onto that street and hop to that path from a parking lot or something...

That will help immensely on the route home though, since no left turn is required there.  It does mean I'll have to get in the left turn lane at the light from N. Rhett to Tanner Ford which is something I didn't think about till just now.  That's 55mph area, and traffic going straight does not have to stop of the light.  I guess I can stop on the right and wait at the intersection for a break in traffic to reach that small island then turn left with the traffic waiting at the light.

I also just noticed I can avoid Foster creek by cutting through the neighborhood and going off road under the power lines that connect to Creek Stone Way, that connects to Tanner Ford.  Of course the more off road I go the less appropriate a beach cruiser is for this whole thing, which means I may need a better bike.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
On busy streets, I usually act like a pedestrian and use the crosswalks.  I get off my bike and walk across.  I never get into a left hand turn lane on a busy street, unless it is pretty empty.  The good thing about a bike is you can be like a car, but you can also be like a pedestrian!

Once you figure it out, you'll have to take a video of your route for us!  :)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
On busy streets, I always act like a car.

I use hand signals (including down for "brake" occasionally) and always turn left from the left turn lane, just like a car would do.
I take the full lane (ride in the middle) if necessary. 

A bike is considered a vehicle, and you have the same rights and responsibilities as a car driver. 
As long as you are 1) visible and 2) predictable it is safe to flow with traffic.
Even though uneducated drivers may be annoyed that you are riding in the street in the way you are legally supposed to, they aren't going to hit you deliberately.  Accidents happen because cyclists do things that drivers weren't expecting.  Thats why it isn't safe to ride the wrong way down the street, or to ride on the sidewalk (getting off and walking is of course always ok)

For visibility I have very bright lights front and rear
a 1000W headlight, about $50 from dealextreme:
http://dx.com/c/sports-outdoors-1699/cycling-1607/bike-light-1644?priceFrom=40&priceTo=80
and the planet bike superflash turbo rear light
both of which I run in daytime

At night I add the portable laser powered bikelane (also from deal extreme)
http://s.dx.com/search/bike+safety+light+laser.html?GEPrice=20.00&LEPrice=55.00

BTW, it just so happens that be bike-to-work day is coming up quick.
I just wrote a short blog post about it for the car mpg maximizing website ecomodder:
http://ecomodder.com/blog/infinity-miles-per-gallon/

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »
A bike is considered a vehicle, and you have the same rights and responsibilities as a car driver. 

BTW, it just so happens that be bike-to-work day is coming up quick.
I just wrote a short blog post about it for the car mpg maximizing website ecomodder:
http://ecomodder.com/blog/infinity-miles-per-gallon/

Just remember that despite having the same rights, you have a lot less protection.  I agree with Bakari's biking plan as long as you go with the high visibility he recommends.  Otherwise stick with Mrs MM alternative.  Just do what works and feels best for you.  It might be nerve wracking to ride in traffic at first, but you get used to it.

Bakari, I couldn't get that link to work for me, is the post up yet?

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
The link to the ecomodder bike to work day blog post?  yeah, that's been up all day.  I just clicked it in this forum to double check and its working normal for me.

I second the "It might be nerve wracking to ride in traffic at first, but you get used to it."
The number one fear of most new cyclists in traffic is getting hit from behind by a driver, but that is actually the rarest type of accident.  The most common are at intersections and driveways, when the driver didn't see the cyclist or didn't expect what they did.  That's why I (and the official League bike safety classes) recommend riding with the normal flow of traffic.
Although I do acknowedge there are some special circumstances - most notably when you live in a suburb with 6 foot wide sidewalks that nobody ever uses - that its fine to ride on the sidewalk.

Note that Mrs MM said she gets off and walks across at busy intersections, which is definitely ok too. 
Its just that if you aren't going to get off and walk, you are safer using the left turn lane than you are riding on the sidewalk

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:12 AM »
I'm getting a 404 error on that Ecomodder link.

I definitely ride like I'm a vehicle.  I don't ride in the door zone next to parked cars, I ride in the right half of the lane, so cars have to change lanes to pass me.  If you ride on the white line like you're scared of cars, they will squeeze by you without changing lanes, and come close to hitting you with their mirror.  Make yourself visible as someone who needs to be passed by changing lanes!

If you ride with a mirror, you can see the difference in how cars behave when you take the lane vs. when you hug the shoulder.

More images and discussion here: http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/chapter2a.htm

Don't hide from traffic, take the lane and make yourself visible!

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »
Between commerce circle and remount it looks like there's a bit of a dirt/grass path under the power lines I can use to cut the corner.  It just means I'll have to try and cross the street with no light or crosswalk though....  So even if the area right off commerce circle is fenced off I can still turn onto that street and hop to that path from a parking lot or something...

I'm not sure I really see the advantage to that.  And it seems like the number of danger-increasing unexpected-to-drivers things you'd have to do would outweigh any (time?) benefit.

It does mean I'll have to get in the left turn lane at the light from N. Rhett to Tanner Ford which is something I didn't think about till just now.  That's 55mph area, and traffic going straight does not have to stop of the light.  I guess I can stop on the right and wait at the intersection for a break in traffic to reach that small island then turn left with the traffic waiting at the light.

Yeah, either I'm not quite as badass as Bakari (ok, that's not really in doubt!), or he hasn't had to deal with a situation like this.  Like I said, I *almost* always use left-turn lanes like cars do, but I have an intersection on my commute home very similar to this one you'll have.  At a T-intersection, as I'm traveling along the main artery with no stop light/sign, I need to get across three lanes of 50mph+ traffic to reach a left-turn lane to go down the "stem" of the T.  I'm enough of a badass that using my mirror and rocket-acceleration and bike-handling skillz, I still pull it off 50% of the time, but the other 50%, there's simply no opening in the stream of traffic going 30mph faster than me, so I end up stopping on the right shoulder, waiting for an opening, and then crossing perpendicular to the arterial, just as you describe above.  Depending how dense the traffic is on N. Rhett, your ratio of making it into the left-turn lane may be greater or less than mine.

Another situation where I'll occasionally not make it properly into a left-turn lane is when the cars get backed up, and they're all sitting there stopped forming a two- or three-ply barrier wall (which sounds like another situation you'll encounter).  Sometimes I'll then do the unsafe move of cutting across the stopped cars, Frogger-style, to reach the left-turn lane.  I suppose maybe that's my fault and I'm supposed to predict when that backup is going to happen and merge in with traffic way back when there's still room.  But that doesn't strike me as being terribly safe either, since that would put me in a line of cars well before the left-turn lane appears.

Also, I'm all for not getting squeezed, but do you guys actually "take the lane" on heavily-trafficked arterials with traffic flowing at 50mph, as it looks like adam could be forced to do?

I also just noticed I can avoid Foster creek by cutting through the neighborhood and going off road under the power lines that connect to Creek Stone Way, that connects to Tanner Ford.  Of course the more off road I go the less appropriate a beach cruiser is for this whole thing, which means I may need a better bike.

Yeah, and even without the beach cruiser, unless traffic on Foster Creek is especially evil for a residential collector, I bet you'd quickly come to the conclusion that off-roading for that not-insignificant section is a lot more trouble than it's worth.  But it's definitely cool to have those options available!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »
RE: ecomodder blog - apparently it is being reviewed by the editor, I'll post again when its up.  I may have been able to see it because I was logged in.

When the cars are stopped at a light I will also sometimes cut between them to get to the left hand lane "frogger style", and I don't really see how its unsafe - the cars are stopped.

In the case of 55mph traffic, I would probably go to the right, and cross with the cross traffic (at least some of the time), exactly as skyrefuge suggests.

Where I live the only roads it is legal to go that fast are freeways, and bikes are rarely allowed on them (and they never have intersections anyway).

When I have been on high speed roads, out touring and such, yes, I will sometimes take the lane in 50mph traffic.  In fact, that may be when it is most important too.  If it is heavy traffic, and both lanes are needed, no one will be able to drive that fast.  If they are going at the speed limit, then traffic is light enough that they can change lanes and go around you.  If you are highly visible, no one is going to just run into you.  However, depending how bike-friendly the area is, there is a possibility you will get a bottle thrown at you as they pass.  Another good reason to wear a helmet.  No, really, I know people this has happened too!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:20:30 PM by Bakari »

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
When the cars are stopped at a light I will also sometimes cut between them to get to the left hand lane "frogger style", and I don't really see how its unsafe - the cars are stopped.

Yeah, it's just "unsafe" in the way that any time you act in a way drivers aren't expecting is "unsafe".  My specific concern in those situations is the surprising number of moron drivers who randomly release the brake (in their automatic-transmission cars) and thus scoot forward a bit for no reason after they've been stopped for a while.  I guess their feet must get tired of holding the brake pedal down?  Also in my case, the suburban arterials around here get made fun of by other arterials if they don't have at least 6 lanes at an intersection (one right-turn, 3 straight, 2 left-turn), so even though the light is red and the cars are stopped when I start my Frogger-move, there's a non-zero chance it could turn green before I'm done.

When I have been on high speed roads, out touring and such, yes, I will sometimes take the lane in 50mph traffic.

Agreed.  When I'm on a country road where traffic is light enough and cars will be able to slow down/change lanes, then I have no problem taking the lane.  But somehow on the suburban arterials near me, I feel like the traffic is too tight (yet still moving at or above the speed limit) and the speed-differential is too great for the cars to adjust smoothly.

Anyway, that's one of the reasons I like these "show us your route" threads, because it widens our eyes to situations that we may never encounter in our local area.   adam's route is interesting, because he really *was* right about a lack of alternate routes.  Due to the rivers and his wacky subdivision that is almost on an island, this is a case where there really is pretty much just one option.  Luckily that one option still looks doable!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »
the suburban arterials around here get made fun of by other arterials if they don't have at least 6 lanes at an intersection

lol!

I understand you now, and don't disagree with anything.  I appreciate the Bay Area so much more after learning what its like other places!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On Biking (ecomodder blog on BTWD)
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
Ok, well, my editor never told me why he took it down, but he finally put it back up.

For those who tried to follow this link and got a 404 error, try it now:

http://ecomodder.com/blog/infinity-miles-per-gallon

James

• Handlebar Stache
Re: On Biking (ecomodder blog on BTWD)
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »
Ok, well, my editor never told me why he took it down, but he finally put it back up.

For those who tried to follow this link and got a 404 error, try it now:

http://ecomodder.com/blog/infinity-miles-per-gallon

Works now!  Good post!

johnnylighthouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: taking the lane
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
My new route has ~1.5 miles of 4 lane suburban 40mph, routinely interpreted as 45-50mph.  I definitely feel safer taking the lane and I haven’t had any problems in that stretch thus far aside from one or two honks.  No left turns on that stretch though.  I ride it at rush hour when volume reduces speed somewhat.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »
So I drove by (quickly) trying to see if there was that dirt road/path cut through to go from N. Rhett to Remount along the power lines and it appears that the satellite imagery is old.  It looked all overgrown.  Granted, I didn't get on foot and check it out yet.

Funny thing happened two weeks ago, I've been in training for a while so I was going to a different building on base (at a different time), and when I was going through the gate I saw the Captain and a whole bunch of other people riding their bikes through.  I guess it was some kind of 'ride your bike to work' day.  So maybe they can increase awareness or something.  I don't know, it probably won't help me, but I thought it was an odd coincidence.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »
Funny thing happened two weeks ago, I've been in training for a while so I was going to a different building on base (at a different time), and when I was going through the gate I saw the Captain and a whole bunch of other people riding their bikes through.  I guess it was some kind of 'ride your bike to work' day.

Likely it was bike to work week/day: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/bike-to-work-week!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kath1213

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Comments on "What do you mean you don't have a bike?"
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »
Hi MMM followers!

Posted two questions on the "WDYMYDHAB" thread but thought I might get more answers if I post here.

Anyone have experience riding 3 wheelers? Any info re: great brands, what's a good price range, anything at all will be appreciated.

I have balance issues and cannot ride a 2 wheeler but still have a desire to join the biking crowd.

Thanks in advance!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
Just so you don't feel we're ignoring you, I did see the other post with this question too, but I have no personal experience with trikes, so I really don't know what advice to give.
On the plus side, I don't think I've ever seen any crappy companies making them, so I'd imagine it would be hard to go wrong. 
I guess one thing would be make sure to get as many gears as possible.  I've seen them in single speed, but since you can't really stand up on the pedals, and they are relatively heavy, a single speed would be impractical for really getting anywhere.

Kath1213

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
Thanks Bakari!

That's very kind of you :-)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
OK

So, just for anyone who is subscribed to this thread, but didn't notice the one on safety, I wanted to share some actual data to back up my statement that riding on the sidewalk is more dangerous than riding in the street:

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/TaleOfThree.htm

"The three most frequent collisions in Gainesville comprising 82 (51.9%) crashes involve the motorist facing either a traffic control device or merging from a midblock location and the bicyclist on a crossing path. Of these bicyclists, 65 (79.3%) were riding on the sidewalk facing traffic.

"These crash types ["Drive Out At Stop Sign," "Right Turn On Red," and "Drive Out At Midblock"] are more likely to occur as a result of riding on the sidewalk."

In other words, the 3 types of common crashes which appear to be the fault of the driver, are all more likely from riding on the sidewalk (regardless of whether going with or against traffic).  The next most frequent accident types are clearly the fault of the rider (failure to yield).

"Conclusions/Recommendations... Due to the inherent conflicts at driveways and intersections, bicyclists should ride in the street and not on the sidewalk. "

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 08:33:07 AM »
Just so you don't feel we're ignoring you, I did see the other post with this question too, but I have no personal experience with trikes, so I really don't know what advice to give.
I guess one thing would be make sure to get as many gears as possible.  I've seen them in single speed, but since you can't really stand up on the pedals, and they are relatively heavy, a single speed would be impractical for really getting anywhere.

I don't have any experience with Trikes either, so take what I say with a lot of salt.
Bakari's point reminded me of something - look at the gear ratios available to you. Trikes are heavier than bikes, and most the ones I've seen are cargo trikes (some *really* loaded down). Try to see if you can get a less than 1:1 gear ratio. I know that with loaded touring bikes it is really nice to have a smaller front gear than your biggest rear cog. That lets you pedal easily (but really slowly) up hills, into stupid strong winds, while towing a loaded trailer, or all of the above combined. Just as I wouldn't want to be stuck with a single speed trike, I would prefer a less than 1:1 gear option to know I'll always be able to pedal up the next hill.

Good luck

Kath1213

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks Matt!

To be honest, I know nothing about gears....nada, zilch, zip.

Last bike I rode extensively was a banana stingray when I was in 3rd grade :-)

In the several weeks I've been researching this subject (with added input from my Dr)  I've decided I'm better off investing the $ in a stationary bike or a gym membership.

Thanks again!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »
In the several weeks I've been researching this subject (with added input from my Dr)  I've decided I'm better off investing the $ in a stationary bike or a gym membership.

If you go the stationary bike route, please don't buy a new one.  There are always TONS of used stationary bikes of every flavor imaginable on our local craigslist.  They're the kind of thing that has an abundant used market for dirt cheap.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!