Author Topic: Latest Post by MMM  (Read 28081 times)

FIRE_HELP!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Latest Post by MMM
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
Seemed kind of random and not very well thought out - almost like it was just an excuse to write about expenses he incurred (which could probably be written off as a business expense)

Stachesquatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Latest Post by MMM
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
I found it timely and inspiring- my wife and I are working on a house doing a fair bit of work and have a short timeline to complete it.  House repair is the only noticeable spending I do that is beyond necessities - (my clothing comes from Goodwill, etc.) and while we could hire some of the work out I feel better about not buying someone else's time and knowing things are being done right, and learning in the process. Also 'collecting' a set of high quality tools that I should have for life.

Maybe MMM's last post didn't hit home for you, but it felt like it was written for the moment I'm in...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
Which post?  Maybe include a link, or the title of it as the title of this thread. A month from now someone reading this will have no idea which post you mean.  :)

Also [MOD NOTE] I'm moving this to the correct section of the forums.  Thanks!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Stachesquatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »
While this will probably be a 'dead thread' in a month I respect the suggestion to follow good forum decorum:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/07/07/necessity-is-the-mother-of-badassity/

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:55:12 AM »
Cheap solution would have been to roof over the boards...  I like the fact that he did the right thing and put down decent plywood.  Typical quick-sand that I get myself into sometimes when working on older homes.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:22:28 AM »
I don't see at all where you get the idea it wasn't well thought out. I liked it so much it was the first post I've shared with my husband, in fact, and it went very well indeed.

The whole point is to develop skills/save money to use when you need them. The post was a perfect demonstration of how that pays off under pressure.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »
It's a philosophical take on when things go south. Instead of bitching you just carry on and adapt. Then he proceeds to tell a personal story reflecting that. Not sure where the randomness is that you see.

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
Seemed kind of random and not very well thought out

The primary purpose of this website is a blog, which includes random thoughts and telling people about your life. That being said, I also agree with some other posters that it was well thought out. He told a timely and relevant story from his own life with a powerful underlying theme that many of us are a lot stronger than we think we are and some only learn that through terrible adversity. By realizing the truth in this we can make large changes today instead of waiting for a catastrophic event in our life.

I liked it so much it was one of the few that i emailed around to my friends.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
I liked his blog post.  But it strongly reminded me that when stuff comes up like his roof problems, that I didn't foresee and plan for, it's a lot more stressful now when I have to space all my projects in between 40 hour weeks earning wages, than it will be when I'm retired and it won't matter that much if a job takes me an extra day or two. 

At least I know my roof boards are in good shape because with my house's vaulted ceilings, I can simply look up and see them in many areas.  They're roughly 2" tongue and groove cedar boards.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »
It is interesting how different posts appeal to different people.  It didn't light my fire, but there are multiple people in this thread saying they liked it a lot and shared it with people.

Whereas there are other posts that blow me away, but probably are just okay to others.

Take what you enjoy, learn what you can from the rest, and don't stress about it.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

usmarine1975

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
The only thing that surprised me with this post is that he didn't use Metal on her roof.  If he had the plywood would not have been necessary.  Some sort of vapor barrier and a few 2x and it would have been complete.  Would have possibly been a cheaper roof but last a lot longer.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
The only thing that surprised me with this post is that he didn't use Metal on her roof.  If he had the plywood would not have been necessary.  Some sort of vapor barrier and a few 2x and it would have been complete.  Would have possibly been a cheaper roof but last a lot longer.

He did answer that in the comments.  Lack of time, IIRC. But you can go read his reply.

usmarine1975

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
So what your saying Is that I should have read all the comments before commenting. Lesson learned face punch complete. Lol

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
So what your saying Is that I should have read all the comments before commenting. Lesson learned face punch complete. Lol

lol, I didn't mean it like that. I usually don't read the comments on the main blog articles, this was a rare exception.  I just wa letting you know there was an answer to your question.

usmarine1975

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:18 PM »
Its all good I usually do read some but not all.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
Seemed kind of random and not very well thought out - almost like it was just an excuse to write about expenses he incurred (which could probably be written off as a business expense)
I can understand not enjoying the subject matter or the flow of the story or perhaps even finding errors of spelling/grammar.  But is it necessary to accuse him of cheating on his taxes as well?

In an analogy: are you sitting in his livingroom and enjoying his hospitality before watching the game, perhaps with a frosty beverage in your hand, and complaining that the decor seems random and not very well thought out-- before moving on to suggest that he probably didn't pay sales tax on it either?

Because you can probably read another thousand or so other personal finance blogs discussing the virtues of strength through adversity, although I don't think any of their authors felt compelled to re-roof their mother's homes.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »

Just an observation, but I think its interesting to see critiques saying that posts are "random" and "not well thought" out, while also seeing  other critiques of MMM that sound something like "he's overly planning his content" or "Ah-ha!! he has strategies for increasing site traffic to make money/make his blog more valuable". (as if that's a crime) 

I think its funny- he's either randomly putting out not very well thought posts, or he's actually very much planning each of his blog posts as if he's (gasp!) running a business. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
This was the right post at the right time for me. I'm working on a humongous writing project--am majorly on deadline--and I found his post inspiring. (OK, it's a novel, not a roof, but it's a big, difficult job just the same. Badassity helps a lot.)

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »

Just an observation, but I think its interesting to see critiques saying that posts are "random" and "not well thought" out, while also seeing  other critiques of MMM that sound something like "he's overly planning his content" or "Ah-ha!! he has strategies for increasing site traffic to make money/make his blog more valuable". (as if that's a crime) 

I think its funny- he's either randomly putting out not very well thought posts, or he's actually very much planning each of his blog posts as if he's (gasp!) running a business.

I read a post on the Early Retirement forums and somebody suggested MMM has a editor (basically suggesting the site was fake) or something because the writing was just too "polished". lol I guess a regular person can't edit a draft or use spellcheck or have their wife proofread...

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
It's a pathetic reflection on our current culture (or lack of it) that someone is critical of MMM because he's literate. Good Lord.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »
That just shows the value of a Canadian education.  Engineering students (like any other university students) are expected to be able to communicate.

It's a pathetic reflection on our current culture (or lack of it) that someone is critical of MMM because he's literate. Good Lord.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
I think it's possible we're all doing a little troll-feeding here. [Happy to retract that if OP wants to wade back in.]

But while I'm here, I'd like to pick up on RetiredAt63's angle and say that I think MMM is a damn good writer. Sure, his story is appealing and he's producing information that people want, but the words are actually put together very well, even for a Canadian.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

So you weren't satisfied?  Bummer for you.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
I didn't even read the latest 'Electric Bikes' post, so you'll have to excuse me if this is out of line.  I'm sticking it under an old thread so as not to make a big deal out of it... 

But just the subject line flies in the face of everything I used to like about what MMM used to write about (2011-2012), even if I thought he was being a little too extreme or using 'fuzzy math' to get his otherwise well-intentioned point across.  If he is hoping people will start with an electric bike (for what, twice the price of a 'real bike') and then, well, voluntarily take all of the expensive stuff off and start peddling, then he is obviously smoking too much of the legalized weeds over there...

Please convince me I am wrong, but is there any reason to read this post?  I have a perfectly good bike and would never recommend an electric bike to anyone if they are capable of being on a bike.  Otherwise, I would recommend a scooter - an actual vehicle that can be used to haul nominal loads, accelerate reasonably, and better for the environment than the alternative.  What has become of our beloved MMM?  Is he trying to become 'mainstream' or sell stuff?

Sorry in advance for 'complainy-panting', I'll admit that I do like a bit of debate and genuinely want to know what people think of this latest post.  Maybe I'll be convinced I missed something valuable, but right now I just feel 'turned off' by where the blog is going.

Forum still rocks!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:41:42 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 08:04:42 AM »
The value is, as the post points out, that you can go farther or faster with an electric bike than with a regular bike. It makes sense for people whose commutes are up to 30 miles each way (such as a few of my coworkers who ride their electric bikes every day), where pedalling the whole way really isn't practical but a car is still overkill. Hell, I'm even thinking of buying one and moving downtown. Only hangup is performance in extreme low temps.

The solution to the transit problem is not so black-and-white as to always be a pedal bike. Is pulling out the bike the best way to go down the block for some groceries? I'd contend that walking is more convenient for trips under .25 miles. And if there's a non-pedalling solution for that end of the spectrum, it's likely that there's a solution to fill the gap between pedal bike and car.

I think your hangup might be that MMM didn't explicitly say "don't buy one unless you really really really conclude it's worth it" but if we can't figure that out on our own by now then what are we still doing here?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »
I haven't read the article yet either, it's in my Pocket list, but I have an electric bike, and use it to commute.

If I didn't have an electric bike, I wouldn't ride a bike.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »

I don't think we can be friends any more.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
An electric bike is just a slightly less fancy bedpan and catheter.

Driving a luxury SUV with heated leather seats to drop your kids off at school might be the right choice for some people.  Say, people who have five kids and live in the Alaska wilderness.  Everyone else can suck it up and drive their little compact car.

Riding an electric bike might be the right choice for some people.  Say, old and frail people who are also overweight and unmotivated to improve their fitnesss level.  Everyone else can suck it up and pedal a real bike.

In general I support the idea of replacing car trips with electric bike trips.  But this article seems rather incongruous with the very last one about Badassity in Houston, which touted the idea of embracing apparent hardship as an opportunity to flex those Stoicism muscles.  Every time I consider getting an electric bike, I remind myself that I am healthy and strong, I got that way by pedaling my own damn bicycle, and I'm going to stay that way by not giving in to the siren song of assisted-propulsion.  Today it's an electric bike, tomorrow it's a motorized barcalounger with a built in bedpan.  No thanks.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:15:37 AM by sol »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »

I don't think we can be friends any more.

Heh.  I've said elsewhere that I have an electric bike, but yes, I've never put it so bluntly: I don't like riding bicycles.

It does amuse me that the one core distilled part of Mustachianism, to Pete, is: Ride a bike.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/07/what-do-you-mean-you-dont-have-a-bike/

Pass.

;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
Everyone else can suck it up and pedal a real bike.

Sure, or just not ride at all.  The electric bike makes it tolerable.  Otherwise I'd buy a second vehicle.

I don't do anything I don't want to do.  Ever.

"Suck it up" is not an option for me, I think I'd rather just be 100% happy 100% of the time.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:20 AM »
"Suck it up" is not an option for me, I think I'd rather just be 100% happy 100% of the time.

I recommend you get yourself an SUV.  They're really great.

I also recommend you take up watching reality TV.  I hear it's super awesome, everyone in America is in love with it. 

I also recommend you only eat fast food.  It is tasty and delicious, guaranteed to make you happy with every bite.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »

I also recommend you take up watching reality TV.  I hear it's super awesome, everyone in America is in love with it. 

I also recommend you only eat fast food.  It is tasty and delicious, guaranteed to make you happy with every bite.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
Yes, hilarious that I can judge somebody so harshly for RIDING AN ELECTRIC BIKE. 

-Judgy McJudgerson

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »

I don't enjoy any of those things.  If I did, I'd have no guilt around doing them whatsoever.

Yes, hilarious that I can judge somebody so harshly for RIDING AN ELECTRIC BIKE. 

-Judgy McJudgerson

/shrug

You can feel free to judge whatever you want, I don't care one way or the other.

I'm going to live according to my ethos, which doesn't involve doing things I don't want to do.  Regardless of if you, or anyone else thinks I should.

Thinking for yourself doesn't mean "ignore what mainstream culture tells you, but blindly follow what the MMM community tells you."

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »
You can feel free to judge whatever you want, I don't care one way or the other.

I know you don't, and I was trying to highlight that my reaction was a bit overblown.  Like how angry can you really be with someone for choosing to ride a bike, even if it is electric?  You're the classic ebike customer MMM was trying to reach, people who maybe like the idea of biking but can't be bothered to do anything uncomfortable or exert too much effort.

For me, however, the ebike would just be a gateway drug.  So I'm staying away.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »
Because he doesn't meet your standards of rightness and rides an electric bike, you're telling him he should ride a big-ass SUV? What?

Whatever happened to the concept "the perfect is the enemy of the good"? Is that anti-Mustachian?

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »
Wow...

Self admitted electric bike user here- my wife and I each have an electric human hybrid bike, and really do think they were worth getting. We have one car, and two wildly different work schedules. We also rarely use the car anymore, even when it is cold, raining, snowing, etc. We were using them without electric assist for commuting, but after adding motors they are used in any weather, and any schedule. Even on normal days speeding up the hills gives us 10-20 minutes more per day to spend together, which is amazing when working late... and worth the extra cost.

We also have regular bikes for exercise/short local trips without much cargo.

I wouldn't call them the bedpan and catheter level. You still use your body much more than in a car- the key word is setting up the bikes as electric assist bikes, not mopeds. Plus, the environmental impact,even when considering battery manufacture, is MUCH less than an automobile. My wife only learned to ride a bike as an adult, yet with electric assist she almost never drives to work.

Financially, since we biked to work 50% of the time already, they will take a long time to pay off. Our gas expenses did halve the very first month we got the electrics running.. though it was already a tiny typical expense. Payoff is about two years, but that includes new bikes that will last MUCH MUCH longer than that. Yes we bought used parts when available.

Lastly, they are freaking fun, even MMM used to have motorcycles. These are cheaper, with almost nonexistent maintenance. Different strokes for different folks. Slow open air transportation, that doesn't let you recline, and requires you to work at least some, and costs less than a decent laptop doesn't seem like a bedpan.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
Thanks for the lively input, always good to have my mind opened a bit more.  I still can't shake the feeling that an electric bike is the first step down the slippery slope toward an electric golf cart... and ultimately The Rascal, I am amazed that folks on this forum have electric bikes.  More power to them ;)   Guess they do have their place and I should read what MMM and the always interesting comments have to say.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »

I know you don't, and I was trying to highlight that my reaction was a bit overblown.  Like how angry can you really be with someone for choosing to ride a bike, even if it is electric?  You're the classic ebike customer MMM was trying to reach, people who maybe like the idea of biking but can't be bothered to do anything uncomfortable or exert too much effort.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

I laughed at your final line.

MMM wants the eBike to be a gateway drug to get non-bikers to ride - but your point that it might be a gateway drug the other way to make current bikers more lazy is well taken.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »
Sure, or just not ride at all.  The electric bike makes it tolerable. 

Same here. I used an electric bike to get to work, and I would not have done it on a regular bike. I would have driven instead. Carrying a change of business attire, arriving at work sweaty and having to cool off, shower and change would have made the whole affair take far too long. I saved the hardcore pedaling for the trip home when it didn't matter that I arrived sweaty.

I think arguments over e-bikes vs. pedal bikes is up there with arguing over buying vegetables vs. growing your own. OMG WTF YOU BUY YOUR TOMATOES AT THE STORE? MIGHT AS WELL HOOK YOU UP TO THE BED PAN AND CATHETER!

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
I am pretty much the cycling fanatic, and I've been thinking about an e-bike.  I rode this morning with some senior citizens on a group ride, and several of them had recumbents with a front windshield.  I'd love to take one of those, add about 300w of assist, and pedal 40mph to work.  :-)

scfishy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 11:03:42 AM »
As someone who has logged thousands of miles on the highways (long distance triathlons), I still don't bike to work as often as I should/could. Some days I get a late start, others I have meetings in other parts of the city that I don't feel safe riding to due to the fact that my city is not bike friendly and the only reasonable way to get there is via high traffic and high speed roads with no shoulder. The fact that I'll be a sweaty mess in most of those scenarios also plays a part. The humidity here is gross for most of the year. There are no showers at my office and I don't want to haul around a multiple costume changes for the day.

This is why I'm considering an ebike. Most of those scenarios would be eliminated by being able to zip around at 30+ mph with little to no effort. The battery should last for 30k miles or so, so this would be a long-term payoff for me, but a payoff all the same over driving.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

I laughed at your final line.

MMM wants the eBike to be a gateway drug to get non-bikers to ride - but your point that it might be a gateway drug the other way to make current bikers more lazy is well taken.

Yeah, I have to say I'm the same way. That's why I sold the car - now I have no excuse not to bike everywhere (I was just really lazy before). If I got an electric bike I would definitely wimp out and stop pedaling only under my own power.

My concern with the electric bikes is that people will never be convinced to go "all the way" to the pedal-only bikes. Yes it's work - just like anything else MMM recommends. MMM is the "all the way" kind of guy, and the electric bikes seem very half-hearted. If you can't currently ride 30 miles, train yourself to be Badass™ enough so you can! That would be the typical Mustachian cry.

And ARS - I'm afraid you just lost your cred of being a true follower of Mustachianism in my eyes. :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:45:46 PM by Beric01 »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2014, 05:48:08 PM »
My concern with the electric bikes is that people will never be convinced to go "all the way" to the pedal-only bikes.

Electric bikes are like diet soda.  If you're a full-on car/soda addict, I guess they're a step in the right direction.  If you've already kicked your clownish car/soda habit, though, why would you ever consider starting it back up again by drinking diet or riding an electric bike?  That's just asking for trouble.

I can see the benefit for people who really suck.  But it's only a stepping stone to being truly awesome, not an end goal by itself. 

Biking is partly about saving money (real biking way better than ebiking), partly about getting fit (real biking way better than ebiking) and partly about being happy outdoors (maybe about the same).  I just don't see any way that ebiking is actually better than real biking, unless you are lame.

Before someone chimes in with "what about super long trips" I should point out that if you have a 40 mile clown commute, an ebike is not your solution.  Moving your damn residence is your solution.  If you are addicted to sweets, diet soda isn't going to solve your underlying problem.

The entire philosophy of Badassity has been fatally undermined by that ebike post.  Rather than recommending that people suck less, he has recommended a halfway cop out solution that involves spending a crazy amount of money on a consumerist toy.  I look forward to the next article about how to reduce your TV watching habit by subscribing to HBO.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
My concern with the electric bikes is that people will never be convinced to go "all the way" to the pedal-only bikes.

Electric bikes are like diet soda.  If you're a full-on car/soda addict, I guess they're a step in the right direction.  If you've already kicked your clownish car/soda habit, though, why would you ever consider starting it back up again by drinking diet or riding an electric bike?  That's just asking for trouble.

I can see the benefit for people who really suck.  But it's only a stepping stone to being truly awesome, not an end goal by itself. 

Biking is partly about saving money (real biking way better than ebiking), partly about getting fit (real biking way better than ebiking) and partly about being happy outdoors (maybe about the same).  I just don't see any way that ebiking is actually better than real biking, unless you are lame.

Before someone chimes in with "what about super long trips" I should point out that if you have a 40 mile clown commute, an ebike is not your solution.  Moving your damn residence is your solution.  If you are addicted to sweets, diet soda isn't going to solve your underlying problem.

The entire philosophy of Badassity has been fatally undermined by that ebike post.  Rather than recommending that people suck less, he has recommended a halfway cop out solution that involves spending a crazy amount of money on a consumerist toy.  I look forward to the next article about how to reduce your TV watching habit by subscribing to HBO.

Very well said. I'd be curious to know his reaction if you emailed a statement as such to him. Fully agreed that if you have to take regular 40-mile+ trips, you need to move.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
I'd be curious to know his reaction if you emailed a statement as such to him. Fully agreed that if you have to take regular 40-mile+ trips, you need to move.

I suspect he'd very reasonably respond that he was targeting the car clowns and not the converted choir of the forum mustachians.  But his post sure doesn't make it sound that way.

I'm also 100% confident that a complaint like that would never make it past the comments section moderation.  It would be labelled as "detracting from the message" and relegated to oblivion.  Funny, when the message is being destroyed by the very post in question.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
Can anyone here reconcile the post promoting electric bicycles with the post about muscle over motor?

I still can't wrap my head around why the blog would shill for electric bikes, given the long history of posts encouraging people embrace a little hardship, get fit, flex their stoicism muscles, reject consumerism, and save the planet.  It's like a bad April Fool's Day post, except I think he was actually serious.

All I can figure is that his desire to play with new toys overcame his desire to keep the blog message internally consistent.  Once upon a time he turned down $4k/month so that he could continue to swear on the blog but now he's suddenly subverting the entire blog message for a free ebike?

I guess I can rationalize shilling ebikes to a certain audience, a certain way, with the caveat that they're a halfway measure.  A diet soda, an electric lawnmower, a basic cable package.  Not badass at all.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »

And ARS - I'm afraid you just lost your cred of being a true follower of Mustachianism in my eyes. :P

Good!  I'd rather not be identified as that. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »
Sol, you make good points.  I cannot argue with them.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
Quote from: arebelspy link=topic=20336.msg415713#msg4

I cannot argue with them.

Well I thought so, and I am simply outraged that a blogger would post something to his own blog that I disagree with.  I demand a full refund.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!