Author Topic: Electric Car vs. Winter  (Read 13446 times)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
Electric Car vs. Winter
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2017/10/06/electric-car-vs-winter/

This stood out to me:

I now feel utter disbelief that any car company is still making gas-powered cars, and that anyone is buying them for anything other than long roadtrips.

Um, because people are mustachian (or simply aren't high-earners) and can't afford new electric vehicles so they opt for used gas-powered vehicles for a fraction of the cost?

NathanP

• Stubble
Re: Electric Car vs. Winter
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Used gas powered cars aren't covered by the quote from MMM. Car companies make and sell NEW cars, not used cars. He is shocked that people buy new gas powered cars.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
Used gas powered cars aren't covered by the quote from MMM. Car companies make and sell NEW cars, not used cars. He is shocked that people buy new gas powered cars.

Ah, my mistake.  Misunderstood.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
Because most people haven't optimized their life, including mustachians, to only drive 3500 miles a year, hence the need for a gas powered vehicle for longer trips.

For a similar price I would still be hesitant to purchase an electric car for anything other than regular commuting.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
I was disappointed in how MMM wrote in disclaimers about range limits in EVs. 90% of those limits are just a want for ease and comfort, not a real need. We only have one car, a short range electric (realistic range ~100km). Driving long distance takes a bit more time and planning, but we do it regularly. For instance this weekend trip over the mountains to the west coast: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/2017/05/weekend-trip-to-bergen.html?m=1

This summer we didn't really drive a lot, just island hopping in the Faroes. Last summer we went to the North Cape (71 deg north), covering around 5000 km. Next summer we'll do Great Britain, via Denmark, northern Germany and the Netherlands.

The purchase price was slightly higher than what we usually aim for, but the operating costs are much lower: fuel costs are almost nothing, and we have spent less on maintenance the last 3-4 years in this car, than we usually spent in 6-12 months on the last petrol cars we had. (And that includes indulging in services for the EV, while doing most of the work on the petrol cars at home).

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »
I'd be rather concerned about how the heater would run the battery down in an electric car.  Would it be acceptable to "Cheat" and install a propane heating unit?  I used to own an air cooled VW bug.  I had one hand on the steering wheel and another scraping the windshield.  Then,.......I installed a used gas heater and it was toasty. 

The energy density of propane is greater than the energy density in the battery.  In other words lb for lb, you will get far more heat from the propane.  The battery will also remain just as heavy while the propane bottles will be lighter as the propane is consumed.

I'd guess I'd get quite a few more miles with my cheater heater.

dezfreeze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
Depends on the electric car you get as to how efficient the heater is.  The SV models of the Leaf use a "heat pump", reversing the air conditioner, and it is actually quite efficient compared to "element heating".  Also, buy a used electric car.  No one wants them because they are so worried about range!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
Heat pump sounds like a good idea.  Much more efficient than resistive heat. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!