Author Topic: Electric bikes  (Read 182159 times)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Electric bikes
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2016, 03:23:06 PM »
I got a pedal assist mid drive bike last month and started commuting to work, so far 3-4 days a week 32 miles round trip. I didn't build one, I got a Trek 700+ and I enjoy it very much. Every time I let someone ride it they are usually giggling coming back. So far range and speed have been great, but very dependent on what mode is used eco,tour,sport,turbo. I could see towing a trailer easily with this bike and have good range. even on the higher assist levels.
I think the Bosch mid drives are the best mid drive motors on the market, love mine.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »
What do you guys think of this bike

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/5778351473.html

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2016, 11:09:19 PM »
What do you guys think of this bike

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/5778351473.html

Not a lot of power, but looks really nice components wise.  Good brakes, Nuvinci hub, pretty cool overall.

slockett11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: October 03, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »
Very, very interested in your opinions of it after you get it and ride it for a while.

I loved it during my test ride, but that's a limited timeframe.  I know someone who bought one, and he absolutely loves it - takes it down forest single track and can get places he hasn't been able to before.

Thanks to Syonyk's recommendation and all the info on this thread I purchased a Rad Rover almost 4months ago and have clocked right at 1,000miles on it. The quick summary is that its FREAKING AWESOME! lol You can read the long version here: http://saraholockett.wixsite.com/schlocketts/single-post/2016/10/02/A-1000-mile-journeyon-my-electric-bike

There is also a Rad Power owners facebook page that I found very helpful: https://www.facebook.com/groups/radpowerowners/

Happy to answer any questions anyone has :)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #254 on: October 03, 2016, 10:28:48 PM »
Nice!  Glad to hear you like it!

I've... been motorcycling more lately.  Living in the country on a 55mph road has something to do with that.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: October 04, 2016, 07:01:20 AM »
Very, very interested in your opinions of it after you get it and ride it for a while.

I loved it during my test ride, but that's a limited timeframe.  I know someone who bought one, and he absolutely loves it - takes it down forest single track and can get places he hasn't been able to before.

Thanks to Syonyk's recommendation and all the info on this thread I purchased a Rad Rover almost 4months ago and have clocked right at 1,000miles on it. The quick summary is that its FREAKING AWESOME! lol You can read the long version here: http://saraholockett.wixsite.com/schlocketts/single-post/2016/10/02/A-1000-mile-journeyon-my-electric-bike

There is also a Rad Power owners facebook page that I found very helpful: https://www.facebook.com/groups/radpowerowners/

Happy to answer any questions anyone has :)

After months of deliberation, I bought a Rad Wagon in August. Love it! Thanks for the FB group link.

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »
I am also one of the ones being lured in by the Rad Power Bikes. I was really zoning in on the Rad Wagon to run errands, grocery store, etc. I love the idea of being able to haul lots of groceries and even put my wife on the back occasionally. (She has never ridden a bike and only weighs 100 lbs.) My commute to work will be 17 miles each way (Dang it!) which i would try to do at least 3 times a week. (Hopefully more.) The rad wagon seems like it would make the most sense by far but then I saw the video of the guy having so much fun on the Rad Rover that I am being drawn to that is well. Any opinions on which bike would be the best pick for me. Obviously the Wagon can haul more but do the 34 mile round trips to work take it out of the running? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
The range on them is similar.  I'd get the Rad Wagon and an extra battery pack - you may have to charge one at work.

slockett11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I love the Rad Rover and plan to get the rack so I can haul stuff. But if I had to it over again I think I would have seriously consider the Rad Mini for a couple of reasons
1. It already has a front and rear rack built into the frame for hauling stuff
2. The fact that it folds up makes it very transportable. The Rad Rover (and the wagon) need a car hitch type bike rack. I don't have a hitch for my car so I would have to get one (around $200) and then buy a rack specifically for fat tore bikes (another $200-$300). The Rad Mini I could just fold up and put in my trunk.

I think the wagon is awesome if you are in that urban environment and want to go 100% carless. It seems to be a great option if you want to haul children around too.

That's my 2c anyway 😁

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
I just noticed that luna cycles has started offering full builds:  http://lunacycle.com/e-bikes/ I've found they have good prices and quality stuff.

There is even a 30mph scooter in there, yikes!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for a rear hub kit, that allows free wheeling ( no or low rolling resistance when turned off or dead).

DH 's Luna cycle mad workshop adventure did not result in a bike that I enjoy riding. Mainly due to the fat tire frame does not handle well and hard to straddle. He likes it. I also don't need the expense of another mid drive. DH can keep it.

I am planning this for grocery trips and errands.  I don't need extra powerful or extended range. So I can save on battery. Thanks.

I used to have a front hub kit but those are a bit front heavy for my taste.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #261 on: October 11, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for a rear hub kit, that allows free wheeling ( no or low rolling resistance when turned off or dead).

Any geared hub motor will have zero rolling resistance when not powered.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: October 11, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »

Any geared hub motor will have zero rolling resistance when not powered.

Yes, and I would love your recommendation!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #263 on: October 11, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
Do you have a bike to convert, or are you looking for the whole thing?

I'd suggest looking at a local ebike shop and riding a few - that's going to be a lot easier than trying to find something you like the feel of on the internet.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
Do you have a bike to convert, or are you looking for the whole thing?

I'd suggest looking at a local ebike shop and riding a few - that's going to be a lot easier than trying to find something you like the feel of on the internet.

I have a bike to convert. Just looking for a kit and brand names. It's been a while but we used to deal in crystal motors, wilderness energy, golden motors, more recently hooked up with Luna cycle and alternative to bafang ( love but pricey). ..  but you ( sonyk) are much more current, any  current internet brands that you would include on a lookup list.?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
Not really. Sorry. I've been focusing on BionX reverse engineering lately.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
  Thanks anyway-- just a bit more research work for me...

A different question --

I really don't need a Lion battery, and a lead acid will get me the modest distances and power  I am looking for.  (It used to be, anyway, and the kits are better now, it would be heavier and larger than a small LiIon though)...

BUT -- do you think the reduced cost of a lead acid versus LiIon is a frugal (value) or a cheap choice?  I have not closely tracked costs / power ratios, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2016, 01:45:35 PM »

A different question --

I really don't need a Lion battery, and a lead acid will get me the modest distances and power  I am looking for.  (It used to be, anyway, and the kits are better now, it would be heavier and larger than a small LiIon though)...

BUT -- do you think the reduced cost of a lead acid versus LiIon is a frugal (value) or a cheap choice?  I have not closely tracked costs / power ratios, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts.
I think some of the better kits out in my opinion are bionx and the erad bbshd, I think lead acid is a terrible choice, a cheap option for batteries is making your own with lipo packs from hobbyking lipos, there are some YouTube videos that can show you how. Some people worry about using LiPos as they can catch on fire or something, so you'll want to have a non-flammable place to store it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:49:45 PM by Jeremy E. »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »

A different question --

I think some of the better kits out in my opinion are bionx and the erad bbshd, I think lead acid is a terrible choice, a cheap option for batteries is making your own with lipo packs from hobbyking lipos, there are some YouTube videos that can show you how. Some people worry about using LiPos as they can catch on fire or something, so you'll want to have a non-flammable place to store it.

I'll check it out.   and BTW, I have had a battery catch on fire, and while it was exciting and dramatic and involved a quick removal of my bum from the seat, it alone would not dissuade me from making my own pack, if I liked the idea.

Doesn't anyone remember the concern about LiIon catching fire all the time? you know, because they did...   technology improves with increased adoption...   

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »

Don't buy a lead acid battery for an electric bike.  They're dreadfully heavy, put out a good bit less power than you'd expect, and have a lifecycle measured in single digit months if you actually use more than about 20% of their capacity.  They're false savings, and you should not buy a lead acid battery for an electric bike.  If you get one that's big enough to be useful, you stand a good chance of cracking your frame (I know someone who learned this the hard way).

Get a small lithium battery if you must, but get a lithium battery.

I think some of the better kits out in my opinion are bionx and the erad bbshd,

I fully support people buying BionX.  I make very good money rebuilding their batteries after they've died and BionX has left the owners out to dry.  It's not a good choice if you care about money, though.  They're entirely proprietary, and people who spend their time and energy reverse engineering them don't tend to sell the results cheaply.

a cheap option for batteries is making your own with lipo packs from hobbyking lipos, there are some YouTube videos that can show you how. Some people worry about using LiPos as they can catch on fire or something, so you'll want to have a non-flammable place to store it.

And ignore this advice.  Hobby lipo packs are a fireball waiting to happen.  They're great, if you want to build a super high power Pike's Peak racer or something, but there is literally zero reason to use them for a daily ridden bike.  They require careful charging and maintenance, and those packs don't have a battery management system most of the time - the BMS will do things like "keep you from damaging your pack" and "allow you to plug a regular charger in instead of having to fiddle with micro connectors daily for charging."

Over on Endless Sphere, there are "perpetual battery thermal event" threads and such, for people to document when their damned lipo packs catch fire and try to burn down the house.  It's stupid.

========

Any of the Luna Cycle kits should work fine - they sell good stuff.  I just haven't built a new kit recently, and the next one I build is going to be a 30mph highway cruiser, so not really relevant to most people.

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2016, 07:39:04 AM »
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I love the Rad Rover and plan to get the rack so I can haul stuff. But if I had to it over again I think I would have seriously consider the Rad Mini for a couple of reasons
1. It already has a front and rear rack built into the frame for hauling stuff
2. The fact that it folds up makes it very transportable. The Rad Rover (and the wagon) need a car hitch type bike rack. I don't have a hitch for my car so I would have to get one (around $200) and then buy a rack specifically for fat tore bikes (another $200-$300). The Rad Mini I could just fold up and put in my trunk.

I think the wagon is awesome if you are in that urban environment and want to go 100% carless. It seems to be a great option if you want to haul children around too.

That's my 2c anyway 😁

Thanks for the 2c. You bring up some good points on the rad mini. I would so love to try these bikes out before purchasing but living on the east coast makes that impossible. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2016, 07:42:59 AM »
The range on them is similar.  I'd get the Rad Wagon and an extra battery pack - you may have to charge one at work.
Thanks! I am still trying to figure out the best one for me. Leaning towards the wagon in just about every way except for my 34 mile round trip commute. For the commute the rad rover sure looks comfortable especially with the front shock.

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: November 10, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
Just an update. I ended up going with the Radwagon. I got it about a week ago and have already ridden 200 miles. Mostly commuting to work and back. (31 miles round trip.) Tomorrow I am throwing my wife on the back of it and we going to spend the day sightseeing around town. I ended up getting an extra charger that I keep at work so I can charge it before I head home. Very happy with this purchase so far.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
So I built a Lunacycle BBSHD kit on an old mtn bike. (Just one retailer of a kit you can source many different places). I'll brag on Lunacycle though b/c their customer service was really fast and friendly when my battery charger turned out to be a dud.

AMAZING ride experience. It also revealed all sorts of bicycle maintenance issues that I was happily overlooking. Once fixed I rode it all around town.

It flattens the hills. I ride it on the lowest PAS setting most of the time b/c it is enough to roll be along at 10-15 mph. It also has a thumb throttle so I can boost the assist as needed.

In low bike gear it feel unstoppable.

25 miles was about the limits of the battery after I decided to ride 7-8 miles without pedaling just to see if it would do it.

Will be the key item in a push for more fitness and losing some weight. Had to be compatible with my commute to work. It is.

Problems: crank arms are made of soft AL. Replaced them with something better from a recumbent parts supplier (Utah Trikes). Also the 46T front sprocket might be better if it was a 42T or 44T. I haven't done anything about that yet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:01:32 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

bblinley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
Just an update. I ended up going with the Radwagon. I got it about a week ago and have already ridden 200 miles. Mostly commuting to work and back. (31 miles round trip.) Tomorrow I am throwing my wife on the back of it and we going to spend the day sightseeing around town. I ended up getting an extra charger that I keep at work so I can charge it before I head home. Very happy with this purchase so far.
Great idea on the extra charger, had not thought of that...

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »
Bumping this thread because the latest blog post has me lusting after an electric bike again.

What are the best sites to order e-bike conversion kits?

Does anyone have any predictions related to how much battery prices are expected to drop in the next year or two?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
Luna is good, Grin is good. And don't expect small pack prices to drop that much. Labor is the same regardless of cell cost.

SustainableStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: June 14, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
I just purchased a RadWagon and it should arrive tomorrow. If anyone is on the fence and wants a review or pics or whatever, just let me know. And if you decide to take the plunge and order your own, definitely take advantage of their referral program. Send me a message and I'll get back to you with my name so we can both get $50!

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »
I've been thinking of biking to work for a while, but I just can't get my fitness up to snuff (plus other worries). I'm concerned about the cost of an e-bike though.

Basically, I have a 7-mile commute each way and I have zero ability to bike that far on the hilly roads of LA. My current bike is a $50 cheapo from Walmart. I'd love to bike to work at least a few days a week, but e-bikes seem really expensive. Are they really good enough that someone that struggles with a 2-mile loop can feasibly commute?

I currently spend about 27/week on gas and have $0.10/mile insurance so I'd save almost 50 a month if I ride only twice a week. I would love to save the money and make a healthier choice, but I don't know if that's possible.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
Are they really good enough that someone that struggles with a 2-mile loop can feasibly commute?

My understanding is that you could do your entire commute without pedaling, depending on how your bike is setup, if that's what you wanted.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
Yup.

Buy a halfway decent one. It will replace your car.

Hikester

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
Syonyk, in your experience which electric bike battery is the best performing for warm climates, up to say, 115-120 F?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
Syonyk, in your experience which electric bike battery is the best performing for warm climates, up to say, 115-120 F?

There's not really much difference in how lithium chemistries handle heat - poorly.  If it's in the shade, it's probably fine, but you may kill the battery in 5 years instead of 7.  If it's in the sun, take the battery in with you - that's just not good for lithium.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #283 on: July 03, 2017, 02:20:53 AM »
I'm seriously thinking of dropping serious cash on an e-bike. I talked to my LBS and he's got one for me but just want to do a bit more shopping.

Does anyone have an e-bike that folds and uses a Gates belt? If so, how much and what's been your experience?

Looking for quality here rather than race to the bottom cheapness. I justify the potential cost because it will replace my car. I want an e-bike so I arrive decently at the office, folding so I can store it under my desk and not in the common bike rack and Gates so it's less maintenance and no grease.

Hopper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: July 18, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »
Can. Not. Let. This. Thread. Die. :)

Considering a copenhagen wheel or a rad mini.  Or, you know, just suck it up and bike with my current regular bike.  Thoughts?

I really enjoyed reading about the different bike options people have tried.  I live 9.5 miles from work - trails for about half of that.  I also live about 1.3 miles from the subway, and could bike to/from there, with a transit-subsidy paying for my commute.  Moving closer to work isn't something I will do.  I used to bike semi-regularly to work in the nice weather before baby #2 last year.  Now, I drive to save time. 

I could bike more now that some of my post-baby logistics are getting easier, and I am drawn to buying an e-bike to get over the mental-hurdle of a long, uphill slog home (downhill in the morning, wee) and that will shave some time off my bike commute.  But the cost of an ebike has stopped me for a long time.  (I have been following the copenhagen wheel for about 5 years: https://content.superpedestrian.com/). 

The (cheapest) car parking near my work is $8/day.  I probably park 200 days a year.   I drive an electric car (a used nissan leaf- such a fun car), so filling up is relatively cheap.  Not counting wear and tear... I could make up the cost of the ebike in a year of commuting.  If I did it most days. Winters are cold but relatively snow free.  I could still bike, but probably wouldn't every day.

I worry about theft with a fancy bike, but I can park in a pretty secure building.  If I got the radimini (https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike?variant=17586850561) I could bring it into my office and not worry at all about it walking off.   

I am drawn to the copenhagen wheel because it seems so easy to use-- I am not very mechanically inclined.

Any thoughts on what kind of ebike I should look at?  Thanks!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #285 on: July 18, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
Considering a copenhagen wheel or a rad mini.  Or, you know, just suck it up and bike with my current regular bike.  Thoughts?

The "Wheels" of any variety are stupid, and only appeal to people who don't have any sense of engineering tradeoffs.  No offense intended, but you're exactly the target market - doesn't know enough to understand why they're silly.

Putting batteries around the motor means you have a very heavy wheel, and the heat goes straight into the cells, which don't like being hot.  And there's not much room in there, so you pay a price in terms of low capacity, not being able to handle a proper multi-speed cassette in the rear, no disc brake support, or all of the above.

Get anything with a remote battery.  You'll be a lot happier.

Hopper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: July 19, 2017, 05:59:22 AM »
Thanks for the input, Syonyk.  I appreciate the simplified explanation- I am sure that I am definitely their target demongraphic, but it does sound like that a remote battery makes sense.  And all of the weight on the wheel can't be good either - anecdotally, Cwheel riders have complained about flats and such.   

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »
I have a 2015 model iZip Path3 Plus.  It's the one with the motor on the rear hub and the battery on the rear rack.  I really with I had waited for the new model.  That much weight in the rear makes it handle oddly and the spokes get loose rather quickly.  The newer model had a mid drive motor at the crank.  My battery also likes to come loose on bumps, sometimes just the little crack between the street and a parking lot.

Don't get me wrong, I love having an ebike.  However, if I were to do it again, I would look for something with a vertical battery and mid drive.   

Hopper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: July 21, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
Thanks Uturn.  I am now solely looking at bikes with a vertical battery located mid-bike.  Although I am really thinking that I should try again without an ebike for a bit and see if how I feel about the commute on my current bike. 

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #289 on: July 25, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »
Just saw that Luna Cycle is having a sale on their BBS02 mid drive kits. I really want to get a newer bike that has disc brakes, the ability to add a rack, and a little more relaxed geometry, but I'm really tempted to buy this and add it to my current road bike.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2017, 06:19:12 AM »
I've been looking into getting one. Tried one out yesterday and it was far nicer/zippier than I presumed. It looks like it definitely would be able to take me to work comfortably, the current distance is a bit too far for me to make on my own.

Luckily my SO and sister dragged me away else I would totally have impulse-bought a new ebike.

An update on this a year on - I ended up buying a folding electric bike about a month after I made that post and have been hooning about town on it since.  (The Perth mustachians can confirm this - I think I've ridden it to every meetup since I've had it).

While I can't say I ride to work every day (I think I average about 2-3 days a week, there was a period of about 2-3 months where I had a recurring chest infection so didn't feel up to riding at all), it's my first choice when I need to run errands.  I've also found it as fast or faster than a lot of the more 'normal' options, too - I took it into the city to look at an art exhibition with my friend, we said goodbye at the city train station only for me to ride past her walking home from the station near her house about 20 minutes later (the cycle path runs parallel to the railway line). 

The fact it folds is really useful, I'm glad my husband talked me into getting the folding model because it means I can do things like ride about all day running errands, meet up with my husband at a friends house or the pub and we'll fold it up and put into the boot of his car.  Or if I need to, I can bring it on the train in peak out so long as it's folded (you normally can't bring a bike on the train with you during peak hour).

That being said, there is a downside - hot weather seems to kill the battery.  I've had it conk out on me a handful of times, either because I forgot to charge it or due to really hot weather.  In those cases, though, it's not the end of the world - it's heavy as sin so it sucks to ride home, but it's doable.  Or if I'm really far out I can always fold it and take it on the train or call an uber/my husband to come pick me up.

Another downside - you have to bring everything with you.  Everything.  All the things.  On Thursdays I ride to work with three different sets of clothing - one for riding, one for work, one for judo.  Then there's also the usual stuff like lunch, maybe breakfast and coffee, etc.  None of these things are particularly heavy, it's just bulky and a heap of organisation making sure it's all nicely packed into the pannier bags in a logical manner.

But overall I'm enjoying it!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
I've been looking into getting one. Tried one out yesterday and it was far nicer/zippier than I presumed. It looks like it definitely would be able to take me to work comfortably, the current distance is a bit too far for me to make on my own.

Luckily my SO and sister dragged me away else I would totally have impulse-bought a new ebike.

While I can't say I ride to work every day (I think I average about 2-3 days a week

Did you go from never riding before the electric bike to 2-3 times a week with it?

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »

While I can't say I ride to work every day (I think I average about 2-3 days a week

Did you go from never riding before the electric bike to 2-3 times a week with it?

Well, yes, but I bought this bike specifically for this job because it's slightly too far for me to ride on my regular bike. Some weeks (like during the summer) I will ride pretty much every day. During the winter it's more dicey and dependent on the weather.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
So, last weekend I was half way into a 120 km bike ride, didn't pace myself properly, and was heading into a brutal head wind for a large chunk of it.  I spotted a guy on an e-bike heading the same direction, caught up, and drafted behind him for about 10-15 km.  I've never felt more love towards e-bikes.  :P

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »
I know Rad e-bikes get a lot of love, but what about Juiced? http://www.juicedbikes.com/crosscurrent-air/

The Crosscurrent Air comes in significantly cheaper (by about $400-$500) and has a max speed of 28 mph.  It has a 37 mile range standard, or up to 100 miles with an upgrade.

Still deciding on what I'm going to get, but I think the Crosscurrent Air from Juiced has jumped to the top of the list.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
I know Rad e-bikes get a lot of love, but what about Juiced? http://www.juicedbikes.com/crosscurrent-air/

The Crosscurrent Air comes in significantly cheaper (by about $400-$500) and has a max speed of 28 mph.  It has a 37 mile range standard, or up to 100 miles with an upgrade.

Still deciding on what I'm going to get, but I think the Crosscurrent Air from Juiced has jumped to the top of the list.

I think it might have just gone to the top of my list too. It looks like a really nice bike for the price.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »

I think it might have just gone to the top of my list too. It looks like a really nice bike for the price.

Thankfully there's a local shop selling them that will let you test ride them.  I don't *need* one now, so I'll probably hold off until my current bike becomes unusable before purchasing - or perhaps if I hate biking in the snow.  We'll see.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »
When I was test riding bikes, the cadence sensor ones were all much cheaper and felt a lot less like riding a bike because the movement doesn't respond the same way a bike would. I see you can upgrade to a torque sensor, but it's just something to keep in mind as you're comparing bikes, especially for those who can't test drive them. The torque sensor ones feel more like riding a bike but a bit faster.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
My ebike was stolen over the weekend. I'm a little annoyed - it needs a key to switch on, so they've basically stolen an ugly, heavy bike. The mind boggles at the stupid things people will steal.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: September 05, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »
Oh bummer! Our car was stolen about a month ago and then recovered when the thief tried to sell it on craigslist without changing the plates. And after having put diesel in it so it wouldn't run. I was pretty impressed by the level of hubris involved in that actually, once I got past being annoyed.