Author Topic: Electric bikes  (Read 52432 times)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Electric bikes
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2016, 03:23:06 PM »
I got a pedal assist mid drive bike last month and started commuting to work, so far 3-4 days a week 32 miles round trip. I didn't build one, I got a Trek 700+ and I enjoy it very much. Every time I let someone ride it they are usually giggling coming back. So far range and speed have been great, but very dependent on what mode is used eco,tour,sport,turbo. I could see towing a trailer easily with this bike and have good range. even on the higher assist levels.
I think the Bosch mid drives are the best mid drive motors on the market, love mine.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »
What do you guys think of this bike

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/5778351473.html

k-vette

• Stubble
    • Velomobile Shop Electric Fat Bikes
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2016, 11:09:19 PM »
What do you guys think of this bike

http://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/5778351473.html

Not a lot of power, but looks really nice components wise.  Good brakes, Nuvinci hub, pretty cool overall.

slockett11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: October 03, 2016, 03:52:29 PM »
Very, very interested in your opinions of it after you get it and ride it for a while.

I loved it during my test ride, but that's a limited timeframe.  I know someone who bought one, and he absolutely loves it - takes it down forest single track and can get places he hasn't been able to before.

Thanks to Syonyk's recommendation and all the info on this thread I purchased a Rad Rover almost 4months ago and have clocked right at 1,000miles on it. The quick summary is that its FREAKING AWESOME! lol You can read the long version here: http://saraholockett.wixsite.com/schlocketts/single-post/2016/10/02/A-1000-mile-journeyon-my-electric-bike

There is also a Rad Power owners facebook page that I found very helpful: https://www.facebook.com/groups/radpowerowners/

Happy to answer any questions anyone has :)

Syonyk

• Handlebar Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #254 on: October 03, 2016, 10:28:48 PM »
Nice!  Glad to hear you like it!

I've... been motorcycling more lately.  Living in the country on a 55mph road has something to do with that.
My random project blog - ebikes, DIY, fans, and more: http://syonyk.blogspot.com

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: October 04, 2016, 07:01:20 AM »
Very, very interested in your opinions of it after you get it and ride it for a while.

I loved it during my test ride, but that's a limited timeframe.  I know someone who bought one, and he absolutely loves it - takes it down forest single track and can get places he hasn't been able to before.

Thanks to Syonyk's recommendation and all the info on this thread I purchased a Rad Rover almost 4months ago and have clocked right at 1,000miles on it. The quick summary is that its FREAKING AWESOME! lol You can read the long version here: http://saraholockett.wixsite.com/schlocketts/single-post/2016/10/02/A-1000-mile-journeyon-my-electric-bike

There is also a Rad Power owners facebook page that I found very helpful: https://www.facebook.com/groups/radpowerowners/

Happy to answer any questions anyone has :)

After months of deliberation, I bought a Rad Wagon in August. Love it! Thanks for the FB group link.
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »
I am also one of the ones being lured in by the Rad Power Bikes. I was really zoning in on the Rad Wagon to run errands, grocery store, etc. I love the idea of being able to haul lots of groceries and even put my wife on the back occasionally. (She has never ridden a bike and only weighs 100 lbs.) My commute to work will be 17 miles each way (Dang it!) which i would try to do at least 3 times a week. (Hopefully more.) The rad wagon seems like it would make the most sense by far but then I saw the video of the guy having so much fun on the Rad Rover that I am being drawn to that is well. Any opinions on which bike would be the best pick for me. Obviously the Wagon can haul more but do the 34 mile round trips to work take it out of the running? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Syonyk

• Handlebar Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
The range on them is similar.  I'd get the Rad Wagon and an extra battery pack - you may have to charge one at work.
My random project blog - ebikes, DIY, fans, and more: http://syonyk.blogspot.com

slockett11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I love the Rad Rover and plan to get the rack so I can haul stuff. But if I had to it over again I think I would have seriously consider the Rad Mini for a couple of reasons
1. It already has a front and rear rack built into the frame for hauling stuff
2. The fact that it folds up makes it very transportable. The Rad Rover (and the wagon) need a car hitch type bike rack. I don't have a hitch for my car so I would have to get one (around $200) and then buy a rack specifically for fat tore bikes (another $200-$300). The Rad Mini I could just fold up and put in my trunk.

I think the wagon is awesome if you are in that urban environment and want to go 100% carless. It seems to be a great option if you want to haul children around too.

That's my 2c anyway 😁

swiper

• Stubble
  • swiping ottawa
« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
I just noticed that luna cycles has started offering full builds:  http://lunacycle.com/e-bikes/ I've found they have good prices and quality stuff.

There is even a 30mph scooter in there, yikes!

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for a rear hub kit, that allows free wheeling ( no or low rolling resistance when turned off or dead).

DH 's Luna cycle mad workshop adventure did not result in a bike that I enjoy riding. Mainly due to the fat tire frame does not handle well and hard to straddle. He likes it. I also don't need the expense of another mid drive. DH can keep it.

I am planning this for grocery trips and errands.  I don't need extra powerful or extended range. So I can save on battery. Thanks.

I used to have a front hub kit but those are a bit front heavy for my taste.

Syonyk

• Handlebar Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #261 on: October 11, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for a rear hub kit, that allows free wheeling ( no or low rolling resistance when turned off or dead).

Any geared hub motor will have zero rolling resistance when not powered.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #262 on: October 11, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »

Any geared hub motor will have zero rolling resistance when not powered.

Yes, and I would love your recommendation!

Syonyk

• Handlebar Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #263 on: October 11, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
Do you have a bike to convert, or are you looking for the whole thing?

I'd suggest looking at a local ebike shop and riding a few - that's going to be a lot easier than trying to find something you like the feel of on the internet.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
Do you have a bike to convert, or are you looking for the whole thing?

I'd suggest looking at a local ebike shop and riding a few - that's going to be a lot easier than trying to find something you like the feel of on the internet.

I have a bike to convert. Just looking for a kit and brand names. It's been a while but we used to deal in crystal motors, wilderness energy, golden motors, more recently hooked up with Luna cycle and alternative to bafang ( love but pricey). ..  but you ( sonyk) are much more current, any  current internet brands that you would include on a lookup list.?

Syonyk

• Handlebar Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
Not really. Sorry. I've been focusing on BionX reverse engineering lately.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
  Thanks anyway-- just a bit more research work for me...

A different question --

I really don't need a Lion battery, and a lead acid will get me the modest distances and power  I am looking for.  (It used to be, anyway, and the kits are better now, it would be heavier and larger than a small LiIon though)...

BUT -- do you think the reduced cost of a lead acid versus LiIon is a frugal (value) or a cheap choice?  I have not closely tracked costs / power ratios, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2016, 01:45:35 PM »

A different question --

I really don't need a Lion battery, and a lead acid will get me the modest distances and power  I am looking for.  (It used to be, anyway, and the kits are better now, it would be heavier and larger than a small LiIon though)...

BUT -- do you think the reduced cost of a lead acid versus LiIon is a frugal (value) or a cheap choice?  I have not closely tracked costs / power ratios, but would love to hear anyone's thoughts.
I think some of the better kits out in my opinion are bionx and the erad bbshd, I think lead acid is a terrible choice, a cheap option for batteries is making your own with lipo packs from hobbyking lipos, there are some YouTube videos that can show you how. Some people worry about using LiPos as they can catch on fire or something, so you'll want to have a non-flammable place to store it.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »

A different question --

I think some of the better kits out in my opinion are bionx and the erad bbshd, I think lead acid is a terrible choice, a cheap option for batteries is making your own with lipo packs from hobbyking lipos, there are some YouTube videos that can show you how. Some people worry about using LiPos as they can catch on fire or something, so you'll want to have a non-flammable place to store it.

I'll check it out.   and BTW, I have had a battery catch on fire, and while it was exciting and dramatic and involved a quick removal of my bum from the seat, it alone would not dissuade me from making my own pack, if I liked the idea.

Doesn't anyone remember the concern about LiIon catching fire all the time? you know, because they did...   technology improves with increased adoption...   

Syonyk

• Handlebar Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »

Don't buy a lead acid battery for an electric bike.  They're dreadfully heavy, put out a good bit less power than you'd expect, and have a lifecycle measured in single digit months if you actually use more than about 20% of their capacity.  They're false savings, and you should not buy a lead acid battery for an electric bike.  If you get one that's big enough to be useful, you stand a good chance of cracking your frame (I know someone who learned this the hard way).

Get a small lithium battery if you must, but get a lithium battery.

I think some of the better kits out in my opinion are bionx and the erad bbshd,

I fully support people buying BionX.  I make very good money rebuilding their batteries after they've died and BionX has left the owners out to dry.  It's not a good choice if you care about money, though.  They're entirely proprietary, and people who spend their time and energy reverse engineering them don't tend to sell the results cheaply.

a cheap option for batteries is making your own with lipo packs from hobbyking lipos, there are some YouTube videos that can show you how. Some people worry about using LiPos as they can catch on fire or something, so you'll want to have a non-flammable place to store it.

And ignore this advice.  Hobby lipo packs are a fireball waiting to happen.  They're great, if you want to build a super high power Pike's Peak racer or something, but there is literally zero reason to use them for a daily ridden bike.  They require careful charging and maintenance, and those packs don't have a battery management system most of the time - the BMS will do things like "keep you from damaging your pack" and "allow you to plug a regular charger in instead of having to fiddle with micro connectors daily for charging."

Over on Endless Sphere, there are "perpetual battery thermal event" threads and such, for people to document when their damned lipo packs catch fire and try to burn down the house.  It's stupid.

========

Any of the Luna Cycle kits should work fine - they sell good stuff.  I just haven't built a new kit recently, and the next one I build is going to be a 30mph highway cruiser, so not really relevant to most people.

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2016, 07:39:04 AM »
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I love the Rad Rover and plan to get the rack so I can haul stuff. But if I had to it over again I think I would have seriously consider the Rad Mini for a couple of reasons
1. It already has a front and rear rack built into the frame for hauling stuff
2. The fact that it folds up makes it very transportable. The Rad Rover (and the wagon) need a car hitch type bike rack. I don't have a hitch for my car so I would have to get one (around $200) and then buy a rack specifically for fat tore bikes (another $200-$300). The Rad Mini I could just fold up and put in my trunk.

I think the wagon is awesome if you are in that urban environment and want to go 100% carless. It seems to be a great option if you want to haul children around too.

That's my 2c anyway 😁

Thanks for the 2c. You bring up some good points on the rad mini. I would so love to try these bikes out before purchasing but living on the east coast makes that impossible. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2016, 07:42:59 AM »
The range on them is similar.  I'd get the Rad Wagon and an extra battery pack - you may have to charge one at work.
Thanks! I am still trying to figure out the best one for me. Leaning towards the wagon in just about every way except for my 34 mile round trip commute. For the commute the rad rover sure looks comfortable especially with the front shock.

bmiles62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: November 10, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
Just an update. I ended up going with the Radwagon. I got it about a week ago and have already ridden 200 miles. Mostly commuting to work and back. (31 miles round trip.) Tomorrow I am throwing my wife on the back of it and we going to spend the day sightseeing around town. I ended up getting an extra charger that I keep at work so I can charge it before I head home. Very happy with this purchase so far.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
So I built a Lunacycle BBSHD kit on an old mtn bike. (Just one retailer of a kit you can source many different places). I'll brag on Lunacycle though b/c their customer service was really fast and friendly when my battery charger turned out to be a dud.

AMAZING ride experience. It also revealed all sorts of bicycle maintenance issues that I was happily overlooking. Once fixed I rode it all around town.

It flattens the hills. I ride it on the lowest PAS setting most of the time b/c it is enough to roll be along at 10-15 mph. It also has a thumb throttle so I can boost the assist as needed.

In low bike gear it feel unstoppable.

25 miles was about the limits of the battery after I decided to ride 7-8 miles without pedaling just to see if it would do it.

Will be the key item in a push for more fitness and losing some weight. Had to be compatible with my commute to work. It is.

Problems: crank arms are made of soft AL. Replaced them with something better from a recumbent parts supplier (Utah Trikes). Also the 46T front sprocket might be better if it was a 42T or 44T. I haven't done anything about that yet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:01:32 AM by Tasty Pinecones »