Author Topic: Why will it take so long?  (Read 7024 times)

SavinMaven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Why will it take so long?
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2018, 06:24:23 AM »
Are your original calculations assuming that your wife will stop working when baby #1 is born, and then be a SAHP from then on? If so, in my opinion, this is a significant area where you can make changes without too much sacrifice... your mileage may vary, but once your youngest child is in school full-time, continuing to have a SAHP is a true luxury indeed! Granted it is not always easy to return to the workforce after 5-10 years away, but many women do it, and that could get you to FIRE more quickly, if time if the priority.

Yes, they are assuming that she quits working and our savings rate is ~$3000 monthly. She could go back to work after our first child is in school, except by then we will likely have at least 1 more child who WOULDN'T be in school, so this probably won't work out...haha.

I figured - that's why I said 5 to 10 years out of the workforce... even if you had three kids, by the time the last one is 5, you really don't need a stay-at-home parent anymore. If she did go back to work whenever the youngest starts kindergarten, that would speed up your time to FIRE. Just food for thought, if you're trying to make it happen faster.