Author Topic: I want my lifestyle inflation.  (Read 60670 times)

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
Re: I want my lifestyle inflation.
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2017, 06:04:53 AM »
IMO, that cat was too nice for them.

*Slow clap*

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »

He got crazed about a hundred in flight fees?  Wait until he has to change the oil or brakes on his exotic car, haha.   There are many "toys" that are better left just rented.  (I even saw someone who didn't own a car and just rented a minivan because he rarely felt the need to use a car - cool idea to apply rental ideals to other items)

I like how you threw in Escalade and a Keurig, haha 

How about a Keurig in an Escalade?? That is 100% needed! 

Oh, their logic for money makes NO SENSE. They book flights at the most awkward times to "save money" (meaning FIL and MIL have to drive to the airport at 2/3 am for pickup) but at the same time he used to brag about his tires in his GTR they were super fancy snow tires. (Didn't mention he lives in an area where YOU CAN'T DRIVE THESE CARS 7-8 MONTHS OF THE YEAR).  The tires cost as much as half of our old Prius.  But he got a good deal on them!!!

My fav story of all time was that when they had the GTR and the Escalade, they decided to buy a winter car instead of the driving the GTR, even though we had heard for the past winter about those amazing snow tires. I wrongly assumed they were going to buy a reasonable winter car for my SIL. I was sooo wrong. They got a Fiat 500. But, SIL NEEDED the Gucchi edition, but they couldn't find one 2nd hand in province, so they had one shipped to them, for $3000 shipping costs. But coming home for Christmas that year was too expensive. In the end that Fiat's passanger side window randomly imploded and they were going to sue the company. That is the life they lead.

The insurance he was paying on his cars alone was enough money that they could feasibly pay someone else's mortgage every month. Last I heard they had sold the GTR, and the Escalade and now have 2 Jeep things (the big fancy ones) and the Lambo. But he wants a 4th car again, and wants to install a lift in his garage to fit them all in. SIL lives a 3 min walk to the school she works at. BIL drives across the city to his job.

Again, it is their money, and how they spend it really doesn't impact me, so I try not to judge (obviously all of this posting isn't judgmental or anything :P), but it is when they belittle others for spending less/not consuming, or when they inconvenience my MIL and FIL, it DRIVES ME (and DH) INSANE.

Thank you for this. Very entertaining!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
How are you going to identify the other rich people with whom you would like to hang out?  That Rolex on the other guy's wrist might be a cheap knock-off.  His Armani suit could be from a consignment shop.  You'll need a way to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Are you going to introduce yourself at a bar/resort/club and ask "What's your net worth?  Here's mine."?

I would imagine that's what expensive clubs are for.  The entrance fee keeps out those that can't afford to pay.  Not growing up rich, I have no idea how any of that all works.  One thing I remember reading online, when flying first class looking at the watch is a good indicator of if the passenger bought the first class ticket or was upgraded.

Is the goal to be able to go into the expensive club?  Or is it to become friends with the club members?  Just curious.

What if the person next to you in first class isn't wearing a watch because s/he has a smart phone? 

If you know whether the person "bought the first class ticket or was upgraded", what would you do with that information?  Is that how you decide whether or not to talk to the person sitting next to you on a plane?

Fearless prediction:  If you had every single thing on your wish list, you would still be unhappy.  There will always be someone else with more "status stuff" and you will always be chasing the next thing (bigger house, better cars, more expensive watch). 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »
OP - when talking about watches and your desire for a Rolex, can I maybe point you towards other lesser known brands with in-house mechanical movements? I mean, if you only care about someone else seeing your watch and how that makes you feel, then forget my advice.

You mentioned you currently have a Michael Kors watch, well Michael Kors is not a watch company, so you pretty much bought it for the brand name. A quick Google search shows that Michael Kors watches are made by Fossil, so again, you only bought the name.

If you care about mechanical movements, as I do, maybe look into smaller companies that produce their own like Vostok, HMT and Orient.  There are plenty more and you can search for them @ watchuseek.com - cool site.

I absolutely love mechanical watches. I have around 22(none more than $65) And although I would like to own a vintage model from the likes of Rolex, Omega or Panerai, I can't justify spending the money. Therefore I search for less known brands or vintage models like the Bulova King Whale or Vostok Amphibian.

It's funny because I see people now with Rolex's and they just don't do it for me. They are cool but they feel "played out". Kind of like a BMW, everyone who has "made it" has one.

I don't care for the way most Rolexes look at all.  I also figure most people who have them either have fakes, proving they far value superfically impressing folks than they do quality, or they have a real one, proving the far value impressing people with a brand name than they do quality because there are equally good--or mabe better- quality watches with prices  a digit smaller.  So it really says, "I don't actually know much about watches, so I'm just a sheep who bought the watch I thought I was supposed to covet."  Of course there are exceptions (see below, and also cases where a real Rolex was inherited or gifted, for example), but I'd guess 95% or Rolex wearers fall in to one category or the other. 

Related funny story.  When I was a kid, my extended family used to go to Tijuana, Mexico every January first.  On one trip, Cousin Kent bought a "rolex" for less than $50 in today's money. (This was 30+ years ago.) It was a joke purchase and everyone laughed about his Tijuana rolex. (Lover case "R" chosen purposefully.) He ended up wearing it all the time, simply because it reminded him of great times with family and there was so much love in the day he got that watch.  Cousin Kent sadly had a heart attack one day, and did not survive the ambulance trip to the hospital.  When his family collected his things at the hospital, the watch was missing.  Some orderly or EMT or whatever had the temerity to steal this dead man's watch, no doubt seeing a shiny Rolex (capital R) and thinking they had scored big.  Little did they know, it was an absolute piece of junk.  The story of Cousin Kent and his stolen beloved "rolex" is still part or our family lore, decades later.  And as a man who loved to laugh, I smile at how much joy he'd get out of the whole story, and how many laughs the rest of us still get from that story. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
So, RFAAOATB - have any of these posts made a dent in your desire for an elevated lifestyle?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
So, RFAAOATB - have any of these posts made a dent in your desire for an elevated lifestyle?

Only slightly.  I still want it all and can only afford a little bit.  I don't see myself going into significant debt to get it.  The desire is still there, although I have little interest in spending the money to afford some of these items when I realize I can't have all of these items. 

With the baby placement upending things though, it's going to be a lot harder to say no to her.  I can go without a luxury brand name watch or vehicle, but a brand name education is harder to dismiss.  We've got MIT in our sights.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »

Only slightly.  I still want it all and can only afford a little bit.  I don't see myself going into significant debt to get it.  The desire is still there, although I have little interest in spending the money to afford some of these items when I realize I can't have all of these items. 

The saying "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want" comes to mind.  Some people get very caught up in the 'brand' (Brand Name College) they can't see anything else.  MIT is a good school, so are many others.  Perhaps the time will come where your child doesn't want to go to college (or college as we know it, like MIT).  Saving for college is good though and a hell of a better investment than a watch and the trappings that go with it.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »

With the baby placement upending things though, it's going to be a lot harder to say no to her.  I can go without a luxury brand name watch or vehicle, but a brand name education is harder to dismiss.  We've got MIT in our sights.
You don't have the child in the house, yet. But you are already naming the university he/she will (have to) go to?

Kansas Terri

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »
Now is the time to figure out a budget for your desired lifestyle. The house you want in the neighborhood you want will cost $x, the taxes for comparable houses are $x, Your daily expenses would be $x, your wife's expenses will be $x.

Something to keep in mind. You will feel significantly richer if both of you have spending money worked into the budget, no question asked. That way you would not be worrying about what you or your wife is spending. I budget $400 per month for my husband's pocket money but only $80 for myself, which reflects our different tastes. DH  enjoys shopping and I do not: I want enough in my pocket to not feel poor, and other than that I  just buy what I need.

By the way, you can make excellent coffee if you grind the beans in the grocery store, and dose it up with chocolate and vanilla yourself. But, that is just me: I dislike standing in line.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:02:35 PM by Kansas Terri »

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
I can go without a luxury brand name watch or vehicle, but a brand name education is harder to dismiss.  We've got MIT in our sights.
You don't have the child in the house, yet. But you are already naming the university he/she will (have to) go to?
For budgeting purposes, you can do a lot worse than setting your budget sights on MIT and if that's what it takes to forgo frivolous consumerism along the way, so be it.

Budgeting for MIT also means budgeting for Harvard, Dartmouth, Duke, Brown, etc. as they're all within a small blanket of each other in total costs.

Kansas Terri

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
  I've noticed the real people are doing a lot more complaining about stuff than posting about how awesome their life is.  Most of my posts are either what I'm eating or what I did in the gym
Oh. OK.

I am into agriculture. Today I am using my Cub Cadet lawn tractor (bought used) to help me tear down the burn pile to something I can legally burn. My garden is full of produce and my chickens are doing well.

This is what I love, and the thing is, this would not interest you at all. For me, it is not the brand of the machine I am using, it is what work it can do for me. I was headed to be a farmer -and to me that is a very exciting thing- when I got a chronic illness, and there is no cure. So, instead of raising food to sell, I have 1 acre and I raise food on it to feed my family. I love my yard: it is glorious.

It would not interest you at all. Even in Kansas not many people love agriculture.

People do not post on how glorious their lives are because it is a very individual thing. I will never understand your desire for a Rolex when a Timex will give the same time and a tie pin would be as beautiful, but that does not matter. The age old question is, when you have finit resources, how are you going to allocate them? For me, what makes life great is what I can do, not what I own. You are the opposite. Both are good: you go your way and I go mine. I bought land and you want to buy a luxury car, and that is fine!

I admire Warren Buffet, who eats at his favorite middleclass Italian restaurant because he likes it, and you admire Bill Gates who loves luxury. There is room in this world for both. The reason WHY many of us do not brag about our great lives is because it would not interest other people.

My break is over, so I will go outside and work on the brush pile. Then I want to hit my bee hive: it needs attention. I did have 2 hives but I gave one to a neighbor. Since I prefer having 2 hives I want to build this one up and split it. What fun!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:05:45 PM by Kansas Terri »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »

I sort of understand. I want a new Bell JetRanger and a place to park it, but not as much as I want to be able to travel and retire at 62 if not sooner.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:13 AM »

As an update, the child was placed.  She is adjusting well, and we are aiming high.  I'm back from paternity leave and my wife is still on maternity leave.  It was my parent's dream I go to MIT.  Things didn't work out that way, but they're still happy with the way my life turned out.  So while we're already naming specific schools, it isn't mandatory they go there.  I'm a lot more adamant that post secondary education is expected than my wife, but she didn't get a degree and neither did her parents compared to me and my parents being graduates.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
Congratulations on the newest member of your family! How old is she? I wish you the very best.

We have found over time after we had our kid that priorities shift in life. You may find the same thing. What is most important to us now is spending time together as a family, comfortable, often at home. Other outside things in life seem to have a little less importance and hold a little less sway over us. You may experience something similar, finding more meaning in life in your family and less in the material goods.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
Congratulations!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Congratulations on your newest family member!

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2017, 07:08:32 PM »
Am I the only one confused reading this thread?

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2017, 12:04:05 PM »
Am I the only one confused reading this thread?

Yep! 

Only joking.  ;)  What do you find confusing?  OP would like to be able to afford a lot of expensive "status" items.  MMM community responds.

Adram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2017, 05:50:37 AM »
I'm confused as to why the OP reads the blog and is a member of the forum, since it is diametrically opposed to everything he wants from life.

I'd suggest http://www.luxury4play.com/forum.php as a possible alternative.

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2017, 07:22:58 AM »
RFAAOTB - I was you 15 years ago.   

15 years ago DH and I sold his small townhouse (1200SF) and my condo (900 SF) to purchase 4500SF house for $500k - that was a mistake - we should have kept one or both of the small units as by now they would be paid off free and clear and generating rental income.  We do not have kids and 4500SF is Waaay too much but DH wanted "space" and though of it as an investment.  Luckily for us we bought well before housing bubble and crash so that never effected us but we could easily do with a smaller house.

We do have two late model luxury vehicles (bought certified used) - they are paid off free and clear.  We also have no debt, no cc debt, no student loans, nothing.

Twenty years ago, we consolidated all debt (it was a lot) busted ass to pay everything off and have never looked back.  We made the decision to operate on a cash basis.  We need a major house repair or new car or whatever - we set aside the money and pay cash - no financing anything.  Because of this we have been able to ALSO max out our savings. 

We are prb older "early retirees" than most on this form and definitely are looking forward to downsizing and moving to LCOL area but we both expect to be retire by age 50 which is still early compared to avg I think.

So my advice would be:

You don't need 4000SF so reconsider
Buy any high end car at least certified used and pay cash
Payoff any/all debt first
Still max out savings, especially if you have a 457 plan, that should be priority as once you've retired there's no age penalty for early withdrawal (but check with individual plan), it can help to bridge any gap you may have until 401k or pension becomes available.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:23 PM »
I also just came from a pricey vacation and spent time with my spendier friends... so I get it...

I would also like to buy nice gadgets and home stuff, purse, etc. But I'm thInking a $120 Fitbit watch, not a 30k Rolex, on my 200k income. Who are those ballers you're hanging with?

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
I'm confused as to why the OP reads the blog and is a member of the forum, since it is diametrically opposed to everything he wants from life.

I think there is an element of heart vs head at play with the OP and that is totally human and normal. He's here because he wants to be a saver but is having a hard time getting his heart into it- that's all.

There are also plenty of us on this board that prioritize savings but really miss spending sometimes. I find that I read his post with a lot of empathy - extra savings vs. luxury lifestyle seem a lot like eating your veggies vs. an awesome pizza and beer fest. You know that the veggies are better for you over the long haul, but it doesn't stop folks from lusting after the pizza (because YUM PIZZA!).

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:07:44 PM by StarBright »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »

I think there is an element of heart vs head at play with the OP and that is totally human and normal. He's here because he wants to be a saver but is having a hard time getting his heart into it- that's all.

There are also plenty of us on this board that prioritize savings but really miss spending sometimes. I find that I read his post with a lot of empathy - extra savings vs. luxury lifestyle seem a lot like eating your veggies vs. an awesome pizza and beer fest. You know that the veggies are better for you over the long hail, but it doesn't stop folks from lusting after the pizza (because YUM PIZZA!).

This.

There are certainly a number of people here who, if they were handed $50M today, would continue to live exactly as they do now (say a 950' bungalow, biking everywhere, cleaning/cooking for themselves, etc.), and use all of that money to do good in the world.  But there are a number of others here who would expand their lifestyle in some way if the money magically became available.  For those of us in the latter category, it is always a balance between Current Me and Future Me, between too much and not enough, between money and time.  Wanting shiny pretty things doesn't mean you're bad -- it just means that you're human.

It also means that those of us in the latter category are conscious that we are giving something up to get to FIRE.  We make those tradeoffs willingly, because the end goal is more important, and because we understand that living a spendy, blingy lifestyle is not what brings real happiness or contentment.  But it doesn't mean we never have the occasional pang about what might have been/could still be if we made a different choice.

And, honestly, I think that's healthy.  How do you know you're still on the right path for you if you don't periodically stop and evaluate what you are giving up to get there? 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2017, 07:45:28 PM »

There are also plenty of us on this board that prioritize savings but really miss spending sometimes. I find that I read his post with a lot of empathy - extra savings vs. luxury lifestyle seem a lot like eating your veggies vs. an awesome pizza and beer fest. You know that the veggies are better for you over the long hail, but it doesn't stop folks from lusting after the pizza (because YUM PIZZA!).

This.

There are certainly a number of people here who, if they were handed $50M today, would continue to live exactly as they do now (say a 950' bungalow, biking everywhere, cleaning/cooking for themselves, etc.), and use all of that money to do good in the world.  But there are a number of others here who would expand their lifestyle in some way if the money magically became available.  For those of us in the latter category, it is always a balance between Current Me and Future Me, between too much and not enough, between money and time.  Wanting shiny pretty things doesn't mean you're bad -- it just means that you're human.

It also means that those of us in the latter category are conscious that we are giving something up to get to FIRE.  We make those tradeoffs willingly, because the end goal is more important, and because we understand that living a spendy, blingy lifestyle is not what brings real happiness or contentment.  But it doesn't mean we never have the occasional pang about what might have been/could still be if we made a different choice.

And, honestly, I think that's healthy.  How do you know you're still on the right path for you if you don't periodically stop and evaluate what you are giving up to get there?

Well put!

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2017, 05:50:22 AM »
Ah, Laura33, I love your comment!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
I agree with what Laura33 said - to an extent.  I know she has an expensive, kick-ass car but I have the impression it's because she's a car person and driving it gives her joy. 

With the OP, it seems more like he wants things that will show other people he has money and status.  He doesn't seem to want to join a country club so he can indulge in his passion for golf/tennis/whatnot.  It's so he can be seen there and associate with people (whom he hasn't met yet) who also have the means to afford country club dues.  He wants a Rolex so the person next to him in first class will know that he paid for his ticket and isn't some pleb who was upgraded from coach.

In that case, getting that stuff will not lead to joy (IMHO).

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2017, 12:20:22 PM »
He wants a Rolex so the person next to him in first class will know that he paid for his ticket and isn't some pleb who was upgraded from coach.

That made me chuckle.  The thing is though, that if by chance he got his watch and I was flying first with him, we'd be judging each other hard.  He'd look at me like a pleb, probably in comfy jeans and a t-shirt looking like I can barely afford anything, but I'd be laughing hard inside and wondering how much debt he has and who exactly he was trying to impress.  Certainly wouldn't be me.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
He wants a Rolex so the person next to him in first class will know that he paid for his ticket and isn't some pleb who was upgraded from coach.

That made me chuckle.  The thing is though, that if by chance he got his watch and I was flying first with him, we'd be judging each other hard.  He'd look at me like a pleb, probably in comfy jeans and a t-shirt looking like I can barely afford anything, but I'd be laughing hard inside and wondering how much debt he has and who exactly he was trying to impress.  Certainly wouldn't be me.

Yes, that's the irony. 

I used miles for a first class ticket not too long ago.  My main concern was to avoid talking to the people around me so I could enjoy my vodka tonic and then go to sleep.  My high-net-worth self doesn't care if you paid, used miles, or got upgraded.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »

As an update, the child was placed.  She is adjusting well, and we are aiming high.  I'm back from paternity leave and my wife is still on maternity leave.  It was my parent's dream I go to MIT.  Things didn't work out that way, but they're still happy with the way my life turned out.  So while we're already naming specific schools, it isn't mandatory they go there.  I'm a lot more adamant that post secondary education is expected than my wife, but she didn't get a degree and neither did her parents compared to me and my parents being graduates.

As a new parent, you'll have to realize one way or the other, that you can't make your child what you want them to be. They may not have the aptitude or desire for an ivy league school. They may love art. Or plumbing. Or cooking. You can't just turn a screw and get them into MIT. You have to let them be who they are going to be or you will be fighting til they are 18 and then they may never speak to you again. Save for college, but don't let your mommy-daddy issues tarnish your future relationship with your child.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2017, 10:01:28 AM »
I park my 2005 Honda in front of my 1.7MM house. Nobody bats an eye.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »
Same year, same make, same (approx) house value, same result.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »

I didn't bat an eye but I did blush.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2017, 08:45:04 AM »
I read the original post but didn't get past it because I assumed from jump it was a troll.  (Sorry OP if you're not.)

crimwell

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »

I didn't bat an eye but I did blush.

LOL

zee dot

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
http://time.com/money/4905519/why-rich-people-avoid-negative-people/

Cheer up or you'll have to hang out with your middle class friends.  :)

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
Yesterday I was bickering with my wife over $10 or $20 worth of unnecessary gimmicks at the store for a party we're hosting.

We got $98,000 left on a $130k 2bd1.5ba condo that costs us $720 rounded up to $800 in mortgage and $580 in dues.

Daycare: $1000 estimate

Desired Lifestyle
I want a $500,000 4000sqft house.

Would it make sense to buy a $250-$300,000 house that I can enjoy now and better ride the appreciation until I am ready to buy the $500,000 house?  I have a feeling that the $580 dues would be replaced with $200 service fees and leave the rest to be plowed into house equity.

You are living life, have kid(s), want more friends and fun times.

Kids can destroy a house or any other thing, don't buy houses, cars, or man toys as long as you have small kids. It is going to suck when your kids floods two floors of that new $500k 4000sq house!

Get a smaller house somewhat equivalent to your condo with a decent yard. Good times stepping out the back door with the kiddo than walking to a public park; sometimes.

You can build a great deck and grill area to host those parties and have the guys over. You will spend you weekends on fun landscaping rather than wishing you had some expensive new toy or could go on a high end date.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Just as a heads up, I slightly inflated my lifestyle to a 1450 sqft 3bd, 1.5ba townhouse for over a quarter million dollars and got a tenant to live in the condo for slightly above cost.  With the housing shortage it would seem I could get more money but checking out craigslist ads suggests that I got a good deal on it.

After a couple of months I think the biggest mistake I made in getting the new house is going for a 3% 15 year loan rather than a 3.5% 30 year loan.  That combined with initial improvements that we have to make means the first couple years are going to be very tight.  I may have to take 1-4 years off retirement contributions in order to get back to a place where I have a comfortable cash flow again.  I'm eligible for a promotion next year so this house is pretty good motivation to get it.

The weird thing is my net worth is higher than it's ever been but I'm down to my last $2,000 in cash. 

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
I read this and wondered if you all got trolled.

No troll.  While you all say you have successfully turned away from the desire for more, I have not.  Past financial difficulties make me more risk averse to actually buying more but leaves me stuck in a purgatory where I can save money, increase my net worth, but feel like I'm missing out on what a debt fueled lifestyle can bring.  2 cars, cable TV, and a detached house should not be too much to ask for.  2 luxury cars and a 4,000 sq ft house is a stretch, but with only one life to live, why not stretch for it, strive as hard as you can and either get it or know you didn't instead of wondering if you could.  I will be OK with OK things, but I want some nice things as well.

Financial independence is a worthy goal, but it must be balanced with an appropriate level of luxury and enjoyment.  Deciding what appropriate is is the difficult part.  And yes, having enough to not need paid employment is a luxury not to be discounted.

Somebody is buying those $500,000 to $1,000,000 houses.  Why not me?  Unfortunately I may not be willing to put in the work to get the income necessary to afford it.  Is this giving up or an honest assessment of my talents and limitations?

If this is your viewpoint, you will never be happy. You're halfway to wisdom, but are applying it wrong.

One life to live! Yes! You got it! You recognize that your time on earth is limited. But do you really think, lying on your death bed, that you'll be looking back and regretting not wearing Rolex? Or will you start to think of all the hours/years of work you did just so that you could have a larger house/luxury cars/rolex that you missed out on meaningful time with your wife and kid?

You are missing out on what a debt-fueled lifestyle can bring. You say it like it's a negative, but it's not. You're missing out on slavery. You're missing out on stress and worry that being laid off or fired will land you and your family in the gutter and starving. You're missing out on owning way too much meaningless shit.

Yes, someone is buying the 500k and 1m houses. I live on a street with those houses, where I rent a downstairs apartment cheaply. I live on a beautiful mountainside on a dirt road. One such neighbor has two vehicles that he parks on the side of the road, covered in mud splashes from the road. Because he has two cars in the driveway. Because his garage if full of shit. I however, park my $3k toyota sienna in the garage and it stays relatively nice and clean. If you compare his situation to mine, I'm living the life of luxury. After each snowfall, I merely open the garage door and drive my nice warm and snow-free vehicle out while he's trying to make his car driveable.  I am living in more comfort than he is.  The rolex he may be wearing doesn't scrape ice off a windshield. Then on my drive to work in the same Sienna, I pass $50k pickups that can't handle an icy hill, muscle cars struggling to maneuver in a parking lot full of snow, and luxury cars in ditches on the side of the road. Tsk tsk. I feel like the fucking sultan of the highway as my non-rolexed wrists maneuver past these so-called luxury vehicles. That is happiness and luxury. The price tag is low.

Your time/energy are limited. You and your family should figure out what would bring you the most lasting happiness, then earn/spend for that lifestyle. Don't be fooled by flashy things or titles like 'luxury'.