Author Topic: Case Study - Poobearius Maximus  (Read 2748 times)

Poobearius Maximus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Case Study - Poobearius Maximus
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
Greetings.
Today I write this post as a means to reach out in search of advice from fellow human beings with a like, or at least similar mind-set, to mine own.  I do not have a particular outline for this post, nor do I know where it will end.  I am simply here to ask advice from a community of people who share similar values.  This case study will be broken out into categories of my life and may or may not go into detail about certain subjects.  Thank you for your time and advice, it will be read and appreciated.

Financial:  After all this is the MMM forum, so it’s hard not to start off a case study without reference to one’s financial situation.  However, my case study does not necessarily involve seeking answers of financial advice rather it will lead towards a deeper search (yeah it’s getting heavy already folks).

With that being said I make, in my opinion (obviously I’m writing this), plenty of money.  Classic story – I work a 9-5, or more, job and am not satisfied with it.  The more I think about it the more I come to realize that I’m working the job because it is what society expects of me and not what I truly want.  Not to mention the more I get into researching FI and related topics the more the choice seems inevitable to me.  To be free.

Okay, okay you want some numbers so you can give me legit financial advice.  Too bad, I’m leaving out details for a reason.  A key realization occurred to me recently as I have accumulated some knowledge and life experiences in that for the majority (not speaking of people in crazy unfortunate circumstances) of people in my situation, or similar, that the choice to not be FI tomorrow is just that, a choice.  This is the choice that I cannot seem to make and why I am here asking for advice because it seems so clear to me, yet I am having great troubles in taking that step.

My Situation: Why I think anyone in my situation is not FI simply because they choose not to be.  I have zero debt, a stockpile of cash, own multiple rental properties, a lot of stock investments and most importantly a self-disciplined frugal lifestyle.  I will admit that I was born and raised with the latter part so when I found MMM I felt like a new world opened up and it allowed me to hone those skills even further and more importantly realize that my view of the world wasn’t something crazy or outlandish.  Back to my choice theory though…I also am not responsible for any other human beings to speak of at the moment (very important note here).  So, as a self-disciplined individual living in a wealthy, free, nation why do I subject myself to the slavery of 40+ work week?  To take it to an extreme, I could literally live for damn near free if I played my cards right based on some opportunities I have available to me without “working: in a mustachian sense”.  What am I doing then? You ask.  Great question, I’ve been trying to answer that for a long time and slowly I think I am getting there.  Hopefully with some words of wisdom from the community to proverbially push me in the right direction.

Note: I have simply left out the details of my life because I am trying not to focus on those when making my decision.  If you think you need more information to help me out let me know and I can provide more!

-PBM

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
Re: Case Study - Poobearius Maximus
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
Wait, so, what's the question...?
Are you asking why you keep working instead of retiring? How could anyone here possibly know that without knowing anything about you?
Or...what?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 02:47:12 PM by Louisville »

Poobearius Maximus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »
Realizing this is a very vague post, but that was my intention.  I'm not even sure I have a specific question, but was more so putting it out there to see if anyone had been in a similar position and could provide any kind of general life advice.  Maybe the post is so vague and non-descript it will be difficult to provide any advice.  I'm not sure.  Thanks for the feedback though.
-PBM

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:22:15 PM »
This seems to boil down to "I could retire, but I'm having trouble doing so. Why?" I can hazard a few suggestions:
  • You have a well-trod routine, and breaking routines is scary.
  • You're afraid of some very unlikely circumstance where you run out of money.
  • You just don't know what you're going to do with your time.
There's nothing really you can do about the first two- that's just psychological. It seems like you dislike your job, so that's not a reason. Not knowing what to do with yourself sounds like it might be the big one here. As someone once said, it's not about retiring from something, it's about retiring to something.

So, ask yourself- if you were retired right now, what would you do? Travel? Hobbies? More education? Volunteering? Entrepreneurship? I'd suggest starting to plan your retirement now, and see what you can come up with. Either A. you'll end up with a list of awesome shit to do, and you'll get so excited about all of it that you'll overcome your other fears about quitting, or B. you'll realize you have nothing you want to do that sounds better than going to an office 40 hrs/week, so you might as well work til you die.

Hopefully option A.

Poobearius Maximus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
Fell-Like-Rain - Thank you very much for the advice.  I am typically not one to share issues with others, but I know the value of having honest feedback and getting someone else's point of view.

In response I think 1 & 2 are most definitely correct and that number 3 is actually not a problem for me as I know at least partially something that would take up lots of my time!  I think you're absolutely correct in that the issue here is psychological more than anything and I simply need to make the choice to work through those.  Maybe the retiring to something is what I need to focus on in that if I put together a solid plan it will make 1 &2 that much easier.

If I were retired right now I would honestly do a mix of everything you mentioned; travel, hobbies, education, volunteering, and a heavier emphasis on entrepreneurship as I know from experience I truly enjoy it. 

You're right.  Option A is exactly what I need to do and in the end I am sure I will have a list of awesome shit to do and that will help with 1 & 2. 

Again, thank you for your words.  They put into perspective what I think I needed to hear.

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
Most people go to therapy to answer A., set yourself a challenge to write 5 things you want to do that each take at least 4 hours, every day, and before you know it you'll have convinced yourself to retire. If you default, remind yourself you're saving $250 an hour for someone to ask you the same thing.

Poobearius Maximus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »
Affordable Housing - Thank you for the advice.  Hopefully therapy isn't needed to answer my question but who knows!  Your self-challenge idea sounds like a good way to start on the road to making my final decision, although I will say 2 of the 5 things would be sleeping if that is allowed...Hopefully that will show a new perspective on my time and value relationship that I was missing before.

I appreciate the words of wisdom.  Thanks again.

PBM

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!