Treb3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:24:15 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:19:07 PM by Treb3 »

zee dot

• Stubble
Re: Career transition help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
Get deep into the job sites of the bio pharma companies.

For example this one in Seattle has job listings all over the country:

https://www.adaptivebiotech.com/about/careers/listings 

Specifically the Director, East Account Managers

BM1300

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
I also work at a hospital and have a Masters in Healthcare Admin. It sounds like something like data science may be something for you to look in to. At my organization, I work on the business analytics team and we are constantly analyzing operational data in order to help leaders make strategic decisions, arm marketing with data so that they know "who are patients are" and who are target market is”, etc... the possibilities are endless in data science.

I started out in operations and it has been a big help when transitioning over to the analytics team, as I understand the operational workflows more than anyone else. From my experience, understanding the operations is something that can’t be taught – it’s best to have worked in that area. Whereas, if you are an analytical person, you can learn the data science piece.

Data science and analytics is becoming HUGE in healthcare right now. From both a non-clinical (business) perspective, and a clinical perspective. Hope that helps.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »
Posting to follow, DW is  quant research MA graduate working in digital ad revenue analytics, but looking to transition to a more formal data scientist / data analysis role where she can flex some python skills. She's a bit overqualified for current role which is basic manual data aggregation and reporting in excel, under qualified for most the data scientist / analyst roles which require more developed coding and database skills.

BM1300

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 07:41:47 AM »
I actually think most of it was luck (and networking). i was noticed by the VP of analytics and he brought me over for a project because he needed someone who understood operations. After we completed the project (where my role was solely to educate the team on how the clinic areas are run day-to-day) he asked me to go get a few EPIC certifications. through those certifications, i learned SQL. I also used a course on Udemy to teach myself Tableau, which we use extensively here.

My role now mostly consists of presenting data in a way that helps operational leaders easily understand in which areas they need to focus. I use SQL extracts to pull data and mostly Tableau to present it.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
I'll second learning Tableau - it's a visualization tool that is very hot right now.

At the large hospital system I used to work at, there were several levels of analytic-type roles.

The Clinical/Medical Informatics team was pretty much all RNs who had transitioned over.  I'm not sure their pay grade.  They worked in our internal reporting tools - Business Objects and Excel primarily, with a few who were also trained in Tableau.  Their reports were all focused on clinical care statistics.

Some other groups had their own analytic experts.  These were usually a combination of Business Analysts and former nurses.  Their skills ranged from Excel reporting to Business Objects to SQL query writing.

The Enterprise Analytics team was part of IT.  This team used more SQL and Tableau. The payscale was about what you outlined.

The tools will change depending on what the hospitals in your region use.  There are other visualization tools besides Tableau, and other reporting tools besides Business Objects.

Some of the people who transitioned into the Clinical/Medical Informatics groups had minimal analytic experience.  They basically reached out to the manager of the group and asked what they needed to do to be considered for the next job opening.

I know a few who started taking masters' level classes in Healthcare Analytics / Healthcare Informatics.  One of these women became the manager of one of the business analyst teams.  She had previously been a part of the Transplant group, creating processes and reports for that unit.

With your background, there could be a lot of opportunities, depending on the size of your hospital system.  I'd start reading through every single open job description and see if any of it sounds interesting.  And network with groups that provide reports or process improvement and with IT.  As a former IT analytics person, I can assure you we were ALWAYS looking for people who had enough time to answer our questions about where the data lived/what the data meant.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 10:23:55 AM »
I recently signed up for FlexJobs https://www.flexjobs.com/

I have a three-month subscription, looking for a non-profit remote position. Unfortunately, FlexJobs has not yet worked super well for me because the bulk of the posting seems to be 1. healthcare 2. sales 3. coding. There are a lot of daily postings, so you might have better luck on that site than I have had with the type of work you are looking for. I will say, United Healthcare seems to post a lot and they have quite a few remote positions, so you may just want to look on their website directly.

Wish I had more to offer. Good luck! 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!