Author Topic: Am I too frugal, or missing anything important?  (Read 2611 times)

wooooooooooooo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Am I too frugal, or missing anything important?
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:00:21 PM »
Topic Title: Am I too frugal, or missing anything important?

Introduction
I was motivated to create a thread now that I hit a 500K+ NW for the first time (from a low of $344K in March!), and because my car loan is now paid off so my financial situation has changed. Throughout covid my grocery spending has increased from $100 to $150 per month and I spent ~$500 on a smartphone, car floor mats, a streaming media player, gifts, and clothing in the last week. This is very unusual for me, but all items I have been wanting for a long time. I can’t help but think I bought now due to the NW and car loan milestones, and hope it doesn’t become the norm of spending moving forward.

I don’t really have a life plan. I am currently single and I feel that living in my LCOL area has limited my dating choices (gay here). I think of moving, but enjoy the simplicity, slow pace of life, low cost, arts community, and proximity to state/national land for recreation.

Life Situation
Single, 33 Female, LCOL area, rent apartment.

Income
Gross Salary/Wages:
$81,500
Individual amounts of each Pre-tax deductions
401K - $19,500
health/dental – $2,460
Qualified Dividends & Long Term Capital Gains:
~$5,000
Adjusted Gross Income:
~$64,000
Taxes:
Federal - $7,200
State - $3,657

Current expenses
Annually $19,200 - $14,700 now without car loan, unless I start spending more (see question #3)
Monthly $1,600 - $1,225 now without car loan

Rent -  $650
Electric (includes hvac) - $48
Home insurance - $9
Internet - $40
Netflix - $14
Grocery - $143
Dining out - $37
Vacation - $14 ($48 in 2019 pre-pandemic)
Car payment - $375 (just paid off loan)
Car insurance - $51
Car service/parts - $12
Gasoline - $44
Clothing - $9
Electronics - $42 (includes iPhone purchase)
Cell phone service - $35
Outdoor recreation supplies/ sporting goods - $17
Hobbies - $59 (includes instrument repair)
Gift - $11
Other - $60

Biggest one time purchases (Apart from bills):
Major musical instrument repair (first since 2009) - $702
iPhone SE2 - $420

Assets
2017 Mazda3 sport - $13,000
High interest savings account - $46,000
Checking - $1,500

Overall investment asset allocation - 90% stock, 10% bond. 65% US, 35% international. Bonds and international stocks mostly in tax-advantaged accounts.
401k - $90,500
roth IRA- $84,000
taxable - $283,000

Liabilities: None (Just paid off car loan)

Total net worth excluding the Mazda3 - $502,617 (up from a low of 344K in March when the markets tanked)

Specific Question(s):
1. I did not sell anything during the last few market downturns, and think my hefty savings account has helped me. How face-punch worthy is the amount I keep in savings?

2. I think I might have anxiety about spending money. I frequently have remorse and spend weeks/months thinking about any purchase over $30 pretty much. Do I live too frugally and stress the cents too much? Is my spending unreasonably low?

3. I have a wish list of things to buy if money were unlimited – a backpack to try backpack camping, a hybrid bike to replace my 1970s bike, home air purifier, hiking boots, a taller vehicle to be able to drive more than 2 hours with my severe back issues, anxiety treatment/therapy, a fancy sleeping pad for camping, some nicer home furniture, music lessons, a screen tent\gazebo, adult swimming lessons to learn how (once covid is over), but none of these are essentials and I live fine without them. Now that I have the car paid off, the emotional part of me wants to start buying things on this list which I have held back on for the past few years. How do others make decisions about what to purchase beyond essentials? I worry even if I bought everything on this list, new items would appear and it would lead to a never ending cycle :(

4. What am I missing in my financial picture? Should I have some type of disability insurance? A will or trust? A different asset allocation? A tax advisor/financial planner?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:04:16 PM by Clarinetah »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Am I too frugal, or missing anything important?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 12:00:06 AM »
First of all congratulations on hitting such a big goal. Yay you!

I am not American so I will leave some of the specifics up to your compatriots, but I am very impressed with your frugality muscles. It sounds like you are worried that this might be tipping over into cheapness or that you risk becoming a frivolous spender if you loosen your iron grip on a single cent. So let's try some thought exercises. You don't need to share the results but use this to think about what your goal is.

For each of your budget items
- is your current spending in line with your values?
- in retirement do you see this number rising, dropping or staying around about the same?

On a scale of 1-10 how do you rate your life in the following areas
- relationship--community--health - work - finances - creativity
Which area feels about right?
Which area needs some work and what are 3 ideas to rebalance?
What areas can you downahift in to provide time/energy for areas that need work?

For the things you want to buy
- which items serve current you?
- which items serve future you?
- which serve both?
- which ones could you borrow from elsewhere first to see if it's something you really would appreciate spending money on?

What is your post FI dream life and what could be brought forward to your life today?

Remember, money is nothing in and of itself. It's just a tool to help you get the life you want so start by being very clear on the life you want.

shrimpwd

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 01:11:03 AM »
I'd start looking at your finances in a different light. (Don't know if others will agree?)

Your investments/NW allow for a 503k/25 (4% rule)= just over 20k/yr spend. So long as you don't go over that, your investments will cover your lifestyle. As you continue to work, this number will increase.

dadbod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 04:26:48 AM »
Wow, congratulations - you are knocking it out of the park in savings and in spending.  I wish we were so disciplined in the spending department!  I'll try to answer your specific questions with the caveat that we have our own problems!

Specific Question(s):
1. I did not sell anything during the last few market downturns, and think my hefty savings account has helped me. How face-punch worthy is the amount I keep in savings?

It is over three times your annual spend, plus you have a large sum in a taxable account.  I'm not sure this is face punch worthy because everyone's comfort level is their own and it is better to have the money than not, but it probably isn't necessary for emergency purposes alone.  Do you have plans to buy a home one day?  You said you don't have a life plan - I'd think about that and then put some of this money to work to make it happen, which might mean leaving it right where it is but also may mean something different.

2. I think I might have anxiety about spending money. I frequently have remorse and spend weeks/months thinking about any purchase over $30 pretty much. Do I live too frugally and stress the cents too much? Is my spending unreasonably low?

Only you can answer this question but related to question 3 - therapy is something that could help.  I think everyone could benefit from a good therapist at one time or another. 

3. I have a wish list of things to buy if money were unlimited – a backpack to try backpack camping, a hybrid bike to replace my 1970s bike, home air purifier, hiking boots, a taller vehicle to be able to drive more than 2 hours with my severe back issues, anxiety treatment/therapy, a fancy sleeping pad for camping, some nicer home furniture, music lessons, a screen tent\gazebo, adult swimming lessons to learn how (once covid is over), but none of these are essentials and I live fine without them. Now that I have the car paid off, the emotional part of me wants to start buying things on this list which I have held back on for the past few years. How do others make decisions about what to purchase beyond essentials? I worry even if I bought everything on this list, new items would appear and it would lead to a never ending cycle :(

If you want a stranger's view, here you go:  Get into therapy, get swimming lessons (safety issue!  also might help with back pain), get music lessons (activities makes us happier than things), get a used bike off craigslist. 

Wait on the backpack, boots, sleeping pad, and screen tent until you are sure you like backpacking.  Borrow or rent instead.  I know a couple people who bought a whole kit in preparation for their first backpacking/camping trip, hated it, and then had this stuff just lying around.  Also, going a few times before buying will let you know what you really need - e.g., many people recommend backpacking in lightweight tennis shoes instead of boots now.  (P.s., I recently joined a statewide LGBT hiking/camping facebook group - gay man here - and it is full (full!) of women.  Maybe look for a similar thing in your state and kill two birds with one stone???  Good luck!) 

Hold off on the car, furniture, and air purifier.  Won't make you happier at all.  I'm a little surprised you want a new car when you seem to be so happy to have just paid off your car loan. 

Right now we spend to make our life easier.  We definitely do too much of that, but with a toddler in the house, a pandemic, no family support, and two full time jobs, it is worth it to us.  Prior to covid, we spent discretionary funds in two ways: (1) activities/experiences, and (2) improving our living situation - big expensive house.  Having done both, I agree with all the studies that say spending on activities/experiences will bring you more joy than spending on things.  Even when we spend money on things (e.g., kitchen remodel, garden), the joy we get out of the spend is how we are capable of sharing the new thing with others.  Our kitchen remodel made it easier to have friends over or cook big meals as a family and our garden is fun to dig around in with our son.

4. What am I missing in my financial picture? Should I have some type of disability insurance? A will or trust? A different asset allocation? A tax advisor/financial planner?

I take it your work doesn't provide disability insurance?  I have it through my job and am happy to have it. 

Unless you really care where your money goes after you die, as a single person with no children you likely don't need a will.  If you die without a will, your assets will be distributed in accordance with the laws of intestacy of your state.  Likely first to your parents but if they are dead, then to siblings, and then to siblings' children, cousins, etc.   A will would get them the money faster.  If you would prefer money going to a charity or to someone else, then a will could help.  You may want a power of attorney (healthcare or financial) if you have thoughts on how you having a serious illness should be treated, and this is often included with a will so there is that. 

I like your asset allocation. 

We're considering a fee only advisor.  In your case, they will likely ask you what your goals are first so probably best to start figuring that out!  You're young!  You've got time!  Good luck! 

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 06:00:22 AM »
You are not alone in having these thoughts.

I was super frugal for the first 20 years of my adult life (actually from age 3 to about age 40). I would sweat every expense like you are doing now. But it allowed me to build my net worth to the point where it started growing on it's own. I loosened the reins on myself a bit from age 40-55 in the form of indulging hobbies, being more social, and eating out. I still made, saved, and invested a lot of money...but in those years I managed to quadruple my net worth.

I think it's important to really exercise the frugality muscles in your early years to get into good financial shape as you have done. Once I was lean FI, I chose to spend a bit more to have balance in my life. I had a job I loved and the money was starting to really flow,  and it seemed silly to sweat over $20 when my net worth was so much larger than at least 90% of the planet.

I could have easily FIREd in my 40s, but I delayed it until age 56 because I got addicted to watching the stash grow, and I had One More Year Syndrome for several years. A little therapy might have helped me realize that I already had enough. I have actually considered therapy recently because while I know that I have way more than enough (and have had zero money stress since retirement), I still have major challenges allowing myself to spend on things that would improve my life but that I consider discretionary. If I could give advice to my younger self, therapy/coaching probably would have helped address many of these issues.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
Topic Title: Am I too frugal, or missing anything important?

Specific Question(s):

Well, think about it like this: the money in your savings is your emergency money. Typically it’s recommended to have 3-6 months living expenses. You have two years. Personally, I’d take half and invest.

Tough one as it’s good to be the person who considers their spending. However, you don’t need extra stress or to punish yourself for spending. Remember, you can’t take it with you. Work out what’s most important in your life and if you need to increase the budget for that, do it.

Hmmm, I’m a life is short, make yourself happy now person. That said, I did not accumulate $500k by the age of 33. I think it’s ok to recognize that this is an exceptional time, people are dying and people are isolated from each other. It’s ok to self care. You have an abundance of money. You could stop working tomorrow and cover all your bills until you die. You have 2 years living expenses saved. You could easily take $5k and say to yourself: I’m going to give myself $5k this year to spend on all my guilty pleasures. That’s your limit for the year (or whatever you want). Each year give yourself a guilty pleasures bucket. Why? Because everything is gravy for you now that you are FI, especially if you keep working.

If I were in your shoes I would have disability insurance. Definitely have a will and an estate plan. I think your financial set up is fine except too much cash not earning money. Financial planner no, cause you have things simple and simple is best. Accountant? You don’t seem to need one yet as nothing seems too complex that you can’t manage yourself.

You’re doing great! Make sure you’re always living your best, healthiest life.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:09:38 AM by MrThatsDifferent »

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 11:29:10 AM »
Do I live too frugally and stress the cents too much? Is my spending unreasonably low?

in a word, Yes.

Continue to live frugally - but definitely do not stress the cents.

You have plenty to live many years if job loss occurred. So - while income is still coming in - pick something like $100-200/month for "fun money" - maybe put this into a separate account. Anything in that account is free game for anything you'd like to splurge on that isn't in the regular budget. New phone, instrument repair, etc.

Maybe if it is earmarked for more "frivolous" spending, that will circumvent the anxiety around the occasional splurge.

utaca

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »

Specific Question(s):

I also keep a huge portion of my assets in a high interest savings account. It's contrary to what a lot of people on here would advise (and admittedly has cost me over time) but I view it as a "security blanket" that keeps me from being an idiot and selling during a downturn. I haven't experienced anything like 2008 but I know from March of this year and the December 2018 that I was not tempted at all to sell knowing that my holdings were not 100% (or even 80%) stocks. In fact, I threw money into the market on both those occasions. So I guess ultimately on saving v investing you just need to know yourself and consider your own risk tolerance.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »
Your level of anxiety and rumination over normal life spending is a HUGE red flag for me. That's not a sustainable or mentally healthy relationship with money.

Just because it produces admirable and desirable savings outcomes doesn't mean it's healthy or good for you.

It's no different from someone who is compelled to make as much money as possible and thinks obsessively about earning.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 02:29:12 PM »
I think you are doing awesome! 

I have another way of looking at the expense list.  Reverse snowball it and see how you feel after each spend.

List your items in order from cheapest to most expensive. Each month, evaluate the list and if you still want the least expensive items, allow yourself to enjoy them. By the time you have purchased them, you can afford them annually in perpetuity if you do them one at a time and evaluate if they are good purchases. 

You're already FI at your current spending levels. You are on track to add about $53,500 to your stash just in savings alone if you don't change any spending habits.  That's at about $175/month in perpetuity each month you keep saving. So allowing yourself some wiggle room in the smaller items you are wanting over time might actually encourage you to keep saving. One time expenses are easier to quantify and add than ongoing things.   

- a fancy sleeping pad for camping - $100? - Might also double to stretch on for your back and practice ground swimming virtually?!
- hiking boots $150
- home air purifier $150
- backpack to try backpack camping - $250?
- screen tent\gazebo - $250
- adult swimming lessons to learn how (once covid is over) - figure you are going to need at least 3 sessions for proficiency. $109 per month, 2 lessons per week.  ($500) They are going on during COVID in many states BTW.
- hybrid bike to replace my 1970s bike - $500-$2,000 (electric hybrid or just hybrid!)? You might be able to find a used one, as people are changing bikes during COVID.

- anxiety treatment/therapy - depends on your health coverage/level of issues - Could be cheaper, could be really expensive!
- music lessons $35 per session (that's what we pay for voice lessons in VA)

- some nicer home furniture-$5,000
-a taller vehicle to be able to drive more than 2 hours with my severe back issues $20,000 at least!

My DH and I have a whole spreadsheet we use when evaluating purchases "A/B/C/D" DIY versus outsourced.  Some things end up sitting on the list for years because they either cost too much, or they have to be outsourced.  We have become less frugal as our savings go up.

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »
Hey @Clarinetah!

I understand your question#3; I've been in that exact same position. I feel that when I had very little disposable income my choices were easier - basically, there was no extra money so most my spending decisions automatically went to "don't buy it"/"don't spend it"/"delay it"/"you don't really need it".

It was once I has SOME disposable income that I started going mad. Because if now I didn't have to buy the supermarket brand of shampoo, then...would I spend twice that amount? But then why not 5 times what I spent on shampoo before? Or should I spend my little extra money on the gym? Or upgrading my bike? AM I JUST GOING TO SPEND IT ALL?

I felt the transition from "save save save" to "alright, spend happily in accordance to values" took some years to sit comfortably with me.

What I can say, is what you should be spending money on right now. And spending without financial contraints. Spend on your mental health, see this therapist and that therapist until you find one that clicks. From my personal experience: see someone with AS MUCH credentials and experience as you can afford and try to get a recommendation off a friend/acquaintance. There are many lines of theraphy and the term therapist can be very loosely regulated, so do try to go for someone as much of a qualified professional as you can.

One tip from my experience is: go for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, that stuff is clinically proven to help; it helped me immensely to get to grips with my depression. There are many forms of therapy and I'm not discouraging you of trying any of the others. I'm just saying CBT is very focused, the therapist/you identify areas of concern and goals for your treatment; I found me out of a decade long funk/bad thinking habit pretty quickly.

Good luck!

brunetteUK

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »
Regarding buying things, I agree with @couponvan 's advice of doing it little by little.

What I found out is that I can go ahead and buy all my heart desires; mainly because my heart doesn't desire that much stuff. But also because most of my things make me so HAPPY! (yes, girl, Marie Kondo style). I have this YETY tumbler and I that gives me as much joy as a material thing can give.

I'm a considerate buyer and I have a feeling you'd be one as well and I can tell you, you have to buy things to have things that will give you the "oh man, I'm really happy I bought this backpack" feeling. If you don't allow yourself to buy the backpack, or buy one that's over $30, then how are you going to find a backpack that will last you a decade and be your trusty travel companion? You got yourself good money spending habits and a good savings stashed away, you can afford some hit and miss purchases; the rare "wasted money on things that didn't quite work out" will be worth for the other things you will buy that will bring you either utility or enjoyment.

It's just things, they are not lovely warm complex human beings that actually heavily contribute to hapiness. Buy it, see how it fits in your life. It was only after I spent two months eating takeaway/ready meals/throwing all the money at food that I realised I really, really like cooking for myself.
You seem to be restricting yourself a lot, which is not a sin, but this restricting is quite possibly generating deeper desire for the things you are forbiding yourself. Everyone in this forum has a story about how they really thought "eating out in restaurants all the time would be awesome, if only they had the money" but once they actually do it, they realise they don't like it as much.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 05:19:23 PM »
You said you don't have a life plan - I'd think about that and then put some of this money to work to make it happen, which might mean leaving it right where it is but also may mean something different...

...If you want a stranger's view, here you go:  Get into therapy, get swimming lessons (safety issue!  also might help with back pain), get music lessons (activities makes us happier than things), get a used bike off craigslist.   

I see a lot of myself in this thread and have been enjoying the excellent advice and discussion thus far. Your mention of not having a "life plan" stood out to me and I liked what @dadbod said on that point.

First of all, with the pandemic going on, I think it's safe to say that MANY people right now are, for better and for worse, questioning what their life plan is.  So you're certainly not alone. But world events aren't the only cause of your concerns; your worries are also specific to you and your particular financial situation and life stage, and have been building up over a long time.

The beautiful but also sometimes scary thing about money is that it gives you options. Too many options can be paralyzing. Maybe you don't have a clear idea of where you want to go next in life. That's okay. But with the power of discretionary income you have more flexibility than most, if you want to, to just pick something new and see if it adds happiness to your life. When you feel unsatisfied about what you're currently doing, self-reflection is very important but sometimes if you feel really stuck, trying something, ANYTHING (legal and healthy) new and seeing what happens can be a very powerful move.

For example, maybe you feel lonely and want to connect more to the local arts community you mention. Why not try taking online group music lessons for a few months and see if that could be a strategy to find those connections? How will that go? I have no idea. Maybe you'll eventually join a band and make the best friends of your life. Maybe you'll think all the other musicians are too cliquish and snobby and you'll quit. Or maybe you'll just get bored of it, and switch to hiking instead. All of these outcomes are fine! And will add to the story of your life. You don't have to do something forever for it to be worthwhile. And trying new things one at a time has the handy advantage of being affordable.

You also mention "I worry even if I bought everything on this list, new items would appear and it would lead to a never ending cycle :(" First of all, be proud of yourself for demonstrating in the past that you CAN restrain your spending. Remind yourself that this is a skill you already have! To an amazing degree. I have similar worries sometimes, but it's grounding to realize that this is a problem set you CAN handle, because you already have in order to get where you are now. This particular worry seems deep-rooted and may keep coming up for you for a long time, but you don't have to act on the emotion. Think of it like a dream where you're terrified of failing a test at school. You really do feel the fear. It's real. But then you wake up and think "wait, I completed my degree a decade ago. They can't take it back now!"

Second, part of life is that for the vast majority of us, our material wants and needs are constantly evolving to some extent, even if it's just to replace something we already have. Having new wants and needs is human! Don't beat yourself up for that. There's a fairy tale out there that I can only half remember now where a creepy wizard promises a lady his hand in marriage and a house full of gold and dresses as long as she agrees to stay there forever and never ask him for anything else as long as she lives. The twist is that that the wizard is actually the devil, and knows that he's setting the lady up to fail because you can't anticipate everything in advance that you will want in life. Maybe that's too much of a tangent, but basically, don't lock yourself into a castle of worry over trying to plan out your whole life at once.

In a nutshell, my advice is this: Try one thing. See how it goes. Then try another thing.

Much hugs and good wishes to you!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
It sounds like you don't have a budget. For some people (myself included), simply evaluating each purchase on its own merit works well.  For others, it leads to overspending.  And for a few, it can lead to stress and guilt.  Give some thought to setting up a monthly budget.  If you have budgeted for $100 a month in unnecessary but QOL expenses, while seeing that it means you are still saving $x000 per month and funding all necessities, it might help you give yourself permission to do some of the things on that list.  It can also help with the worry that there will be a never-ending list of wants.  There likely will be, and you will know that you have $100 a month to spend on them, and you can prioritize accordingly. 

I also agree that having a plan will help.  If you know what, approximately, you want retirement life to look like you can figure out what you need to finance it, and then set up a timeline.  Then, you can see that if you give yourself that $100, it only pushed your date out by a couple months.  Or if you did $200, it might be 6 months, and you can decide if that is worth it.  Those sort of exercises can be helpful, even if they are only based on estimates.  You feel the need to save every penny in part because you don't know exactly what you are saving for, so you don't know how much you need to get it, or how long it will take. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
To my outsider’s eye a lot of the things on your Want list could be had inexpensively if you took time to shop places like Craigslist and FB marketplace. Hell, get on your neighborhood Buy Nothing group and see what pops up or make some asks. You never know. They also seem like they would add to your quality of life, which I am in favor of.

Randomly, on the air purifier, that is something I used to think was silly until we had four straight heard of dreadful wildfires that kept us all confined indoors for a week or more at a time. If you really have a need then I think it is well worth spending money there to protect your health. A couple business trips to China has made me REALLY value clean air.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!