Author Topic: Spouse telecommutes - is it worth trying to claim any deductions?  (Read 134 times)

meghan88

• Bristles
Wondering what might be easy enough to include on his next tax form. 

His company provides the computer and software but that's about it.  We have the second bedroom set up as an office, but it has a sofa bed in it.  I've heard (anecdotally, a long time ago) that having a sofa in the room means that you can't claim the space.  Last year he didn't claim anything at all.  I'd like to at least try for items that are super-easy to justify.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reggie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Spouse telecommutes - is it worth trying to claim any deductions?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 05:34:31 AM »
I work from home and it has helped with my taxes.  Here is a good article from turbo tax on the subject.  https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/can-i-deduct-work-at-home-expenses-172

I think he needs to obtain a T2200 which states that "he is required to have a home office".  I'm not sure if you can claim these things if it's just an option and the regular office is in the same town.  But maybe.

Anyhow, to claim expenses you essentially calculate the percentage of finished square footage in the house that is used for an office.  For me this was 10%.  I don't think you have to be 100% as long as you don't exaggerate. Then you can claim the percentage of electricity, heat, maintenance costs etc. 

I think I ended up saving $300 in taxes last year on these deductions.
Raising 2 kids in Canada and trying to achieve FI before age 30.

Follow along: www.savingforaliving.com

meghan88

• Bristles
Re: Spouse telecommutes - is it worth trying to claim any deductions?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
Thanks - that's very helpful!