Author Topic: Does anyone worry about CIPF limits?  (Read 2744 times)

singpolyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Does anyone worry about CIPF limits?
« on: May 14, 2019, 08:17:05 PM »
For those with a larger 'stache, does anyone worry about CIPF insurance limits on account balances?  It seems that most accounts are covered to $1M and joint accounts to $2M (so long as each party claims $1M).  My accounts are ultimately held with a charter bank, so insolvency seems very unlikely, yet it does feel risky going over the insurance limit on an account for an extended period of time.

Any thoughts?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Does anyone worry about CIPF limits?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 02:23:47 AM »
CIPF does not insure your securities... only really against fraud or the minor amounts in transition during a firm's insolvency (e.g., they held cash or were making a transfer to another account for you when they because insolvent.. or had shady accounting practices and "lost" your securities or you were a victim of embezzlement / fraud)

The core securities being held in your account, in your name, are fine... it is only the cash money at the "fringes" or outright scams / fraud that are insured by CIPF.

So, yeah, I might be hesitant with holding more than $1 million in a small, new, secondary brokerage, but not with one with a large established customer base and policies. 

Maybe I am naive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!