Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO [s]2020[/s] 2022  (Read 53837 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO [s]2020[/s] 2022
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2022, 02:58:13 PM »
How would you find the right one though? Hard to spot the pack of stealth wealthy mustachians. We look like everyone else.

My Mom says I look handsome though. I should be easy to spot.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2022, 03:12:57 PM »
How would you find the right one though? Hard to spot the pack of stealth wealthy mustachians. We look like everyone else.

well... I've seen your face.

End of comment.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »

well... I've seen your face.

End of comment.

Reminds of a song by The Monks.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2022, 10:03:43 PM »
I am at Camp Mustache Midwest this weekend and grant told me about this thread.

I would like to attend if there is space.

Is there an email list or something I can get on to be alerted when tickets go on sale?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2022, 10:15:12 PM »
I am at Camp Mustache Midwest this weekend and grant told me about this thread.

I would like to attend if there is space.

Is there an email list or something I can get on to be alerted when tickets go on sale?

Ooooh an actual serious question!!!

I know it's late in teh year, but we are still in planning stages. If you attended a previous camp, we still have your email etc. from that and will be sending out messaging as soon as we have information to share. At this point though, we are still negotiating with the venue. I believe that email list is in the order of 1500 people with whom we have interacted over the course of 3 Camp Mustaches and one that got to the planning stage, then was killed off by COVID. I could check if you are on it and we have your current addy, but um... unless it's changed since our last CMTO event, let's just assume you're there.

Of course, we'll also announce here when the tickets come available, because we love the forum too.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2022, 10:16:40 PM »
Great! Looking forward to that email once it's at that stage.

Excited to see all of you again :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2022, 06:49:27 AM »
OK, whew... time for a more serious update. This message should provide enough information for folks who are considering camp to hold dates and times. When I hit "post", I will start a weekend countdown, and then ask @arebelspy to lock this thread sometime next week, and we will move to a new, clean thread with the proper event year and information in the title.

The smart people who help me run this thing sat me down last night and we walked through this year's get-together. I feel like there is consensus that we can make something happen. It was a long meeting. Close to 3 hours. We are confident that if you all are as awesome as you always are, we can make this work.

Let's begin now...

1. What is the event: This iteration of CMTO will have a VERY different look/feel from previous camps. For that reason, we are calling it CMTO 2022 - FIREscape. It is both an escape from normal life, an escape from the 9-to-5 lifestyle and an escape to FIRE for folks who have worked hard to get clear of employment. It is also a chance to look at the landscape of personal finance, to see a new landscape in front of yourself, and to see where you fit in the wide-world.
We have spoken with Pete, and he is less concerned with the look and feel of camp than we are, but we thought it important to get his blessing since this event is not following the pattern of other CMTO events you may have seen.

2. Where is the event: Nearly mid-way between Toronto and Ottawa/Montreal. If you google "Ontario Wine Tours" you should be able to narrow down the location to the county it is in. Finding the right venue will be a little more difficult - there are literally dozens of vineyards, cottage resorts, provincial parks, hostels, country Inns, etc. that we could choose to host our event. We will be in tourist country. What the heck - Prince Edward County. It's in Prince Edward County.

3. When is the event: We have booked our venue for September 16-18th September 30-October 2. You may choose to extend your stay beyond those dates, however the room rate at our venue will be 2-3X the rate we have negotiated outside that window. We are in harvest season and people like wine/beer/mead. There are a lot of other options nearby if you choose to stay elsewhere after the FIREscape is complete.
I would strongly advise against making any concrete plans or booking travel until you hear further from us. While the planning has advanced to a stage that I have some confidence this event will take place, the only thing set in concrete at this point is a hold on rooms. We have no other details like food, meeting space, etc. locked in.

4. If you know all this, why aren't you already selling tickets? The venue we have booked is low cost for good reason. Outside the room rate, we need to separately negotiate catering, meeting space, activity space, and figure out a pile of dumb details like what we are going to do for chairs, whether there is a spot to set up the chairs, and if a shade/rain fly can be rigged.
Unlike our usual venue, this space is shared with other groups and we need to make sure that our event and theirs do not interfere with each other. We can't just say "We're going to set up 20 chairs on the lawn" because the lawn may not be available. We have already been put on notice for noise both from our event and the other events taking place to be sure there isn't cross-interference, and to make sure our schedules coincide for the quiet bits and loud bits.
We anticipate that much of our event will take place offsite - about a 10 minute walk from the actual venue since a short walk is easier than separately negotiating so many details, schedules, and noise levels. Our Escape may stretch itself over multiple properties with multiple partners providing different facets of the weekend. This is very different from our usual CMTO which is just a single negotiation with the camp venue.
We are working with Cthulhu and each tentacle has a separate cost, negotiation, and outcome. We can't slap a price on a ticket until we have all those pieces roped in. I am building a flow chart to keep track of the pieces. As soon as we know what each piece looks like, we will get ticket details to you.

5. Can you tell us anything more about the venue? At this point, no. I am nervous to commit too much in case things fall apart (See item #4). I will tell you that rooms are for 2-4 individuals, and priced per room rather than per person, and will be billed separately from your CMTO "pass". You will buy your FIREscape pass from us, and pay for your room with the venue. Once you get your pass we will send you details to book a room. All of that is in  its infancy though, so subject to change (see - we have a long way to go.)
If you plan on attending, you should be thinking about roommates to reduce costs. If you are travelling with a baby, you will be in an actual room which means a much more comfortable environment for nap times, changes, etc. if you prefer to do those things in private. It also means an escape for the folks who are more introverted and need a time out when things get too hectic.

6. Are you looking for presenters? YES! Because our presentation space may be offsite, we really need to know how many folks are available to present so we can judge whether a space rental is needed or if we can roll the dice on a shady tree that may or may not be available is enough. If someone wants to do a drum circle, we need to understand how the noise will affect other events onsite and if we need to push to the adjacent venues. The earlier we can find out who is willing to put on a workshop, the earlier we can nail down costs and venues - both on and off-site.
What about spur-of-the-moment, organic conversation circles? Those are a big part of camp! We think that there is space where folks can go for these conversation circles without needing a dedicated space. Because we are sharing the venue, we are trying to beware of how these organic conversations will take place and how openly folks will share. We are working to create safe spaces that gaggles can form and folks can be themselves. We may book an entertainment suite just to have that safe space onsite. This is still percolating.

I don't have too much more to share at this point. I was hoping that by last night I would have more Jello nailed to the wall, but it hasn't happened. Go ahead and ask questions though. I'll answer what I can, and I'll ask ARS to lock down this thread early next week so we can  share more in a clean new format as info comes available.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 01:21:46 PM by Le Poisson »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2022, 07:14:23 AM »
Hanging out with cool people, that's what the weekend is about.

Sounds like you have a potential space for that to happen.

Whatever it looks like, it'll be awesome.

With individual rooms booked rather than a whole camp, does that mean the total number can be reduced for a more intimate camp?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2022, 07:41:25 AM »
This is very exciting!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2022, 08:00:50 AM »
From the hints I guessed the County.   ;-)  Sandbanks in September?

Sounds fun.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2022, 09:15:56 AM »
Sounds exciting!  What are you thinking for eating areas? It seems to me, a lot of great things happened in the mess hall at camp! I loved that you could go in there anytime, night or day, have a snack and strike up a conversation.

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2022, 09:39:20 AM »
Very exciting news. Looking forward to the email.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2022, 10:56:55 AM »
Terrible Twos
Disagree, two is an awesome age!

I have also brought my baby (~9 months) to camp and she is much less outgoing than Jessa's TS, but she loved it. Except for the part when I locked her in the rental car the second we pulled up to camp. No one loved that.
[/quote]

Ha ha! As I was first reading your message I was going to reply back with "but didn't you leave the baby locked in the car?", but then you beat me to it.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2022, 12:41:20 PM »
Whatever it looks like, it'll be awesome.

With individual rooms booked rather than a whole camp, does that mean the total number can be reduced for a more intimate camp?

Hey - a big thanks to you for being part of the team that holds together the community that allows these events to take place.

The rooms definitely make things different. We do have a minimum booking with the hotel to get the room rate.  If we have fewer than 50 guests, it will be a problem. There is also the whole economies of scale thing relative to booking offsite rooms. We don't know where the break-even on that is yet.

This is very exciting!

I agree.

From the hints I guessed the County.   ;-)  Sandbanks in September?

Sounds fun.

Maybe a tough choice between there and North Beach. But yeah, fall water temperatures are definitely nicer, but waves can be bigger. For folks who don't know, Prince Edward County (PEC) has some of the nicest beaches in Canada. Miles and miles of sand, crashing waves off the lake or quiet coves hidden around a bay, and many are within a half hour of our venue.

Sounds exciting!  What are you thinking for eating areas? It seems to me, a lot of great things happened in the mess hall at camp! I loved that you could go in there anytime, night or day, have a snack and strike up a conversation.

This is one of our biggest questions right now. I don't have an answer yet, and I'm not sure what will be deliverable on this front. We are working with a few partners to figure it out. We will likely partner with local businesses to make it happen, but in the spirit of affordability and of equity for our different diets, it's going to take some work to preserve those meal time meetups while managing a multi-site event. This is one of our really big deal items in the critical path.

Very exciting news. Looking forward to the email.

I'm looking forward to sending it! (Actually Momma will, but ykwim)
Terrible Twos
Disagree, two is an awesome age!

I have also brought my baby (~9 months) to camp and she is much less outgoing than Jessa's TS, but she loved it. Except for the part when I locked her in the rental car the second we pulled up to camp. No one loved that.

Ha ha! As I was first reading your message I was going to reply back with "but didn't you leave the baby locked in the car?", but then you beat me to it.

Wait, we're trying to make this a tradition? Who volunteers to lock their kid in a car this year?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2022, 01:12:26 PM »
I don't know how much interest there would be for me to hold a session on living in a van?  I've been doing it for 4 yrs now so know a few things 😉. Certainly can be a quick and cheap way to reach FI!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2022, 01:18:55 PM »
I don't know how much interest there would be for me to hold a session on living in a van?  I've been doing it for 4 yrs now so know a few things 😉. Certainly can be a quick and cheap way to reach FI!

I think this would be super useful and informative on several fronts!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2022, 07:57:47 PM »

This is relevant to my interests!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2022, 09:07:32 PM »

Do you often swim in your van, Scrooge Mc Duck style?

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2022, 10:02:18 PM »

Why yes I do!  Wait - can you see me?!? 
Lol

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2022, 11:26:27 PM »

Why yes I do!  Wait - can you see me?!? 
Lol

YoU ShOuLd HaVe NeVeR cLiCkEd ThAt LiNk.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2022, 03:28:30 AM »
Crashing waves = SURF Beaches. Surely not, but I won't be checking it out. I won't be one of the cool kids this time. Enjoy yourselves! I hope it goes ahead, but I am unhappy to be missing out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 03:30:28 AM by deborah »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
Crashing waves = SURF Beaches. Surely not, but I won't be checking it out. I won't be one of the cool kids this time. Enjoy yourselves! I hope it goes ahead, but I am unhappy to be missing out.
Me, too. Between civic commitments and the October 2022 Moab Meetup, it just doesn't pencil out for us this year, which is giving me FOMO.

Fortunately,  there's Moab. @NinetyFour hosts it virtually singlehandedly. She has recently returned from a backpacking trip to similarly spectacular country and posted breathtaking pictures in her journal. Though Moab is less structured, it's still a damn fine consolation since CM*TO doesn't seem to be in the cards just yet.

Still following along with interest and hoping you have a fantastic event.

Road To Avonlea

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Embrace The Suck
« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2022, 07:13:00 PM »
This all sounds so amazing!

The last meetup was great. No matter what this meetup ends up looking like I think with like minded people gathering in one place everyone will find what they are looking for. :)

I better start stockpiling the military socks for distribution.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2022, 10:12:35 PM »

... I was going to say...

Any way to bid on or reserve a pair?  I'm Ontarian so don't have Jiffy cornbread mix to offer in return...

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2022, 05:25:50 AM »
Now I'm in crisis. CMTO or Moab? I can't do both.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2022, 08:55:01 AM »

... I was going to say...

Any way to bid on or reserve a pair?  I'm Ontarian so don't have Jiffy cornbread mix to offer in return...

Last year it was a three way trade.

Socks for jiffies for the maple fluff.

I wanted the fluff.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2022, 09:36:45 AM »

Want me to decide for you??  ;-)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »
I'm having the same issue.  I'll do Moab as I've already got the reservations.  Friends of mine from Back East are coming out West as well, so a trip back that way isn't in the cards in the September/October timeframe this year.  Maybe I'll do an every other year thing of Moab one year and East the next.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2022, 01:39:42 PM »

Want me to decide for you??  ;-)
I can help if necessary. 8-)

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2022, 05:01:47 AM »
Amazing news!  We are en route home from CM*MW and had a fabulous time — delighted to see there is another Camp to look forward to soon! 

Happy to help in any way before or during camp @Le Poisson!

Arni & Beth
Snakes in the Grass

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: April 25, 2022, 02:57:16 PM »
Thanks Snakes!!

Only the keenest of keeners will have caught it, but someplace upthread, a major plot twist was unveiled. MAJOR.

The easiest way to see what teh plot twist is would be to tune in to the new CMTO 2022 - FIRE-scape thread in 3...2...1...

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/camp-mustache-events/cmto-2022-fire-scape/

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: April 25, 2022, 03:21:54 PM »
Wow!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: April 25, 2022, 03:46:54 PM »

Deborah, I know the real reason you are not going is because your favorite roomie isn't going.

So sad to miss this. I hope I can go in a future year.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: April 25, 2022, 03:50:09 PM »

Deborah, I know the real reason you are not going is because your favorite roomie isn't going.

So sad to miss this. I hope I can go in a future year.
See the other thread. I CAN go!!!!!
Thanks Snakes!!

Only the keenest of keeners will have caught it, but someplace upthread, a major plot twist was unveiled. MAJOR.

The easiest way to see what teh plot twist is would be to tune in to the new CMTO 2022 - FIRE-scape thread in 3...2...1...

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/camp-mustache-events/cmto-2022-fire-scape/