Author Topic: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO [s]2020[/s] 2022  (Read 54088 times)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
Re: Camp Mustache Toronto - CM*TO [s]2020[/s] 2022
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2022, 10:27:47 AM »
Is very nice.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2022, 10:48:01 AM »
as long as it's not winter. below some temperature it might be good to rent or buy one of those propane heaters.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2022, 12:24:31 PM »
I don’t think you need much for sessions if everyone knows the limitations beforehand. A pad of butchers paper and/or handouts can work instead of any electronics, especially now when we have even more longing for irl connection.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2022, 04:21:59 PM »
It’s very doable to readjust presentations not to rely on a screen. Just more old fashioned handouts to help people follow along. Might be harder for a keynote style presentation to a whole group of 50-70ppl though. If necessary though, I’m sure we can all be a bit more creative :)

The big question is whether we can fill up the 50-70 spots with just forum folks or do we need to push harder outside the forum? Hard to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2022, 07:27:33 PM »
Maybe you get a committee together to research venues so it's not all on you?
I've moved to BC...BUT I'd still come if I could get a ticket because they've been such great events!!!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2022, 09:35:31 PM »
I can’t make it this year, but I’m so excited for the next one that I can make it to. CMTO was my first foray into meeting online friends in real life and it was a massive success. I love it so much and I hope it continues forever!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2022, 08:02:37 AM »
One of my resolutions for when I get my life back is to travel more.  Guess I should get my passport renewed.  I'll make every effort to attend if/when it happens.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2022, 12:13:40 AM »
I've gone to every CMTO!

However, I have decided not to travel internationally in 2022. Maybe I can catch a future CMTO.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2022, 04:01:30 PM »
It's waaaay too early to give out any kind of "real" CMTO news right now, but let's just say I've had a chat with MMM hisself, toured a property, and gazed at my crystal ball a little bit. If this doesn't fall apart, it will stay together.

So uh... what are you doing mid-September?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2022, 04:22:15 PM »
It's waaaay too early to give out any kind of "real" CMTO news right now, but let's just say I've had a chat with MMM hisself, toured a property, and gazed at my crystal ball a little bit. If this doesn't fall apart, it will stay together.

Praying we are not in wave 8 of Covid?  So we can have CMTO?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2022, 06:06:31 PM »
mid-september is mega busy for me. too many weddings.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2022, 06:25:10 PM »
That's pretty close to some other traveling I'm doing in early-mid October, but the days are free...it's something I could make happen if I were motivated.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2022, 06:29:43 PM »
I wish that I could go but I'll be in my last month of pregnancy so probably not a great time to travel. I have been wanting to go for ages! Are babies invited? (for next year)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2022, 07:43:55 PM »
North west passage

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2022, 08:04:57 PM »
YOU SPOKE DIRECTLY TO THE CULT LEADER?!

I'm in.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2022, 08:05:54 PM »
I wish that I could go but I'll be in my last month of pregnancy so probably not a great time to travel. I have been wanting to go for ages! Are babies invited? (for next year)

They've joined in before. Just draw on a little mustache!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »
YOU SPOKE DIRECTLY TO THE CULT LEADER?!

I'm in.

I mean this particular time, we emailed each other, but yes, Pete and I have spoken regarding camp. Does that make him special?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2022, 08:30:53 PM »
That makes YOU special.

But less so by email.

What other cult leader makes their members rich instead of the other way round?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2022, 08:38:28 PM »
That makes YOU special.

But less so by email.

What other cult leader makes their members rich instead of the other way round?

Ed McMahon and the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2022, 06:54:37 AM »

I've been to a wedding. By the time it was done, I was married.

That's pretty close to some other traveling I'm doing in early-mid October, but the days are free...it's something I could make happen if I were motivated.

I'll be traveling in mid October too! How can I motivate you?

We've never witnessed a birth at camp. Want to run a workshop? Can I  schedule that for 2:00 on Saturday?

Also, congrats on your baby,  I hope your pregnancy is going well.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2022, 08:05:36 AM »

I will certainly make an effort to attend. CMTO has a special place in my heart, as do all the fantastic people I have met there!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2022, 10:04:29 AM »

I've been to a wedding. By the time it was done, I was married.

The same thing happened to me once! 🤭

Oh, lol. I was a little too obscure. I would go if there was a camp.

If you need a workshop for the schedule, I can teach knitting and/or crochet.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »

Your knitting is to die for! I'm holding on to that idea!

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2022, 01:36:30 PM »
PTF, mid-September sounds pretty great for me!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2022, 04:27:45 PM »

Your knitting is to die for! I'm holding on to that idea!

You've seen my knitting? Cool! Thanks for you kind words.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: April 15, 2022, 07:56:43 PM »
PTF. No idea how mid-September will be workwise, but if I know about CMTO in advance, I should be able to make sure I'm available. I haven't been very mustachian in quite some time and could use some inspiration  (indoctrination?)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2022, 02:24:29 PM »

I hope I'm travelling across an international border to spend a weekend with all of you.  I just have to be home for school Monday afternoon.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2022, 07:32:53 AM »

I have been three times, twice pregnant, and once with a 6 month old. My particular 6 month old was very extroverted, and was delighted to be passed around to many new friends over the course of the weekend. I often had no idea where he was, but knew he was safe. Mrs. LePoisson in particular made sure I got to sit and eat sans infant, and Grantmeaname's wife also spent significant portions of the weekend telling my son how adorable he was. So yes, babies are absolutely invited.

Also, @Le Poisson I would love to come see you mid-september.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2022, 10:47:56 AM »
I have been three times, twice pregnant, and once with a 6 month old. My particular 6 month old was very extroverted, and was delighted to be passed around to many new friends over the course of the weekend. I often had no idea where he was, but knew he was safe. Mrs. LePoisson in particular made sure I got to sit and eat sans infant, and Grantmeaname's wife also spent significant portions of the weekend telling my son how adorable he was. So yes, babies are absolutely invited.

Aww! Our baby will be around 6 months by the time this rolls around this year. This strengthens my determination to go even more :-)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2022, 10:57:24 AM »
We are slowly forming this premordial soup into another event, however it is still early going. Normally by this time we would have ticket sales well under way and a framework for swag, an agenda, etc. This year we don't. So...

Yes, we are looking at having a camp again this year. Yes we will make it the best we can, if everything comes together, BUT - and it's a big but, I cannot lie - we are keeping our expectations low and our delivery will stray from what we've offered in previous years. Our goal is to offer the same ambiance and community, regardless of what delivery looks like. And to preserve Volley Hockey Ball if we can. Because I think it's fun.

Having said that, this week @CampMustacheToronto and I are pulling together the resources from previous camps to get an inventory of what assets - both physical and digital - are still relevant. We have reached out to delivery partners, and we meeting with diverse and sundry persons to patch together the elements of a camp in a much more hands-on format for us, that hopefully appears seamless and simple to you. Right now it looks a lot like a house of cards, and we aren't sure whether it will topple or not.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »
Thanks for your ongoing efforts and for the update, LePoisson.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2022, 11:30:23 AM »

Thanks Dee. 

Here's a fun challenge for folks... Turn on incognito mode so the booking sites don't upcharge you later, and let's see if you can find flights from your town to one of these 3 airports in the vicinity of the 1000 Islands Border crossing...

WAT - Watertown, NY Airport (Mostly serves migrant song birds and the odd Cessna)
SYR - Syracuse, NY (Mostly serves large fowl and the odd snowbird flight to the south)
YGK - Kingston, ON (Glorious Canadian Aerodrome Equipped to serve our incredible airforce as well as international flights and possibly the Concorde, if it wasn't too afraid to leave the ground, and our runway was longer, and we built a new concourse.)

I'm betting on the middle one as being the most available to our US friends and the last one being somewhat do-able for Canucks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:47:31 AM by Le Poisson »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2022, 01:15:57 PM »

That's so good to hear! If the camp was a little earlier, I'd be happy to go pregnant, but if it's mid to late September I'll be too close to my due date to feel comfortable travelling. But if I can bring my almost one year old next year that'll be great! I hope I have a friendly baby who will enjoy that type of environment.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2022, 03:34:24 PM »
WAT - Watertown, NY Airport (Mostly serves migrant song birds and the odd Cessna)
SYR - Syracuse, NY (Mostly serves large fowl and the odd snowbird flight to the south)
YGK - Kingston, ON (Glorious Canadian Aerodrome Equipped to serve our incredible airforce as well as international flights and possibly the Concorde, if it wasn't too afraid to leave the ground, and our runway was longer, and we built a new concourse.)

Representing Ottawa folks, I like what these airport choices say about possible locations for camp (especially given I expect to have a not-yet-arrived 5 month old would be in tow).

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2022, 04:04:19 PM »

Representing Ottawa folks, I like what these airport choices say about possible locations for camp (especially given I expect to have a not-yet-arrived 5 month old would be in tow).

Will there be a baby section this year? (8month old might come too!)

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2022, 04:41:05 PM »

Yeeeeeeeee

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2022, 06:43:59 PM »

That's so good to hear! If the camp was a little earlier, I'd be happy to go pregnant, but if it's mid to late September I'll be too close to my due date to feel comfortable travelling. But if I can bring my almost one year old next year that'll be great! I hope I have a friendly baby who will enjoy that type of environment.

Everyone's having babies right now.

I'm not sure whether @RetiredAt63 agrees or not. When was she moving? Will she still count as Ottawa folks or not?

Yeeeeeeeee

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2022, 07:20:02 PM »
I'll be north-east of Toronto by then, but still probably not a horrible drive.  Anything vaguely close to the 401 or 7 will be easy.

If enough babies come, maybe I can talk DD and SiL and Mango into coming, she will be about a year and a half by then - oh so mobile!  Hmm, maybe not such a great idea.  We can wait until she is in the Terrible Twos, and at least sometimes listening to the adults.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2022, 07:42:04 PM »

Thanks Dee. 

Here's a fun challenge for folks... Turn on incognito mode so the booking sites don't upcharge you later, and let's see if you can find flights from your town to one of these 3 airports in the vicinity of the 1000 Islands Border crossing...

I'm betting on the middle one as being the most available to our US friends and the last one being somewhat do-able for Canucks.

I get exactly zero flights available anytime from YYC to YGK, however, for some reason there are dirt cheap flights the last two weekends of September into Ottawa. Will anyone be travelling down from Ottawa that I might be able to catch a ride with - wherever camp might end up? I travel light, especially if I don't need to bring a sleeping bag!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #239 on: April 20, 2022, 08:48:22 PM »

Thanks Dee. 

I get exactly zero flights available anytime from YYC to YGK, however, for some reason there are dirt cheap flights the last two weekends of September into Ottawa. Will anyone be travelling down from Ottawa that I might be able to catch a ride with - wherever camp might end up? I travel light, especially if I don't need to bring a sleeping bag!

Without giving away camp[s location, it is a shorter drive from YYZ to the site than it is from YOW.

Edit to add usual Toronto caveats regarding traffic, construction, and flight/airport delays. Actually, once you figure in the time it takes to walk through the terminals and get bags at YYZ, YOW may be faster. Regardless, there is a fairly sizeable (almost an hour) difference in driving time between YOW and YYZ to camp, with YYZ --> camp being the faster option for driving.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:58:13 PM by Le Poisson »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2022, 09:03:33 PM »

Thanks Dee. 

Public service alert: Watertown's code is actually ART. WAT is in Ireland.

SYR is doable for me. The other two had no results on Google. I could also possibly fly into Ottawa (hello @ToTheMoon , others?)

BTW, I've been putting out feelers to get materials and supplies for a possible knitting workshop. Seems like I should be prepared with patterns for baby things.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2022, 05:21:50 AM »
Terrible Twos
[/quote]
Disagree, two is an awesome age!

I have also brought my baby (~9 months) to camp and she is much less outgoing than Jessa's TS, but she loved it. Except for the part when I locked her in the rental car the second we pulled up to camp. No one loved that.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2022, 06:33:58 AM »
Terrible Twos

I have also brought my baby (~9 months) to camp and she is much less outgoing than Jessa's TS, but she loved it. Except for the part when I locked her in the rental car the second we pulled up to camp. No one loved that.
[/quote]

All ages are awesome.  Two is actually a good age, they are getting more verbal.  I am trying to imagine a 15/16/17 month old running around camp - very mobile but who knows how verbal, in terms of paying attention.  I figure a minimum of one adult full time toddler minding - which isn't very inducive to camp.  Basically I have talked myself out of encouraging DD and SiL to come to camp this year.    ;-)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2022, 06:48:48 AM »
Public service alert: Watertown's code is actually ART. WAT is in Ireland.

SYR is doable for me. The other two had no results on Google. I could also possibly fly into Ottawa (hello @ToTheMoon , others?)

BTW, I've been putting out feelers to get materials and supplies for a possible knitting workshop. Seems like I should be prepared with patterns for baby things.

Thanks for all the things! I need to PM you regarding knitting. Don't let me forget.

Terrible Twos

This year's camp will likely be a more baby-friendly venue than past camps. I think. But then again, I only play a smart person on the internet, so wadda I know.

I think the tow truck guy that unlocked your car and was well compensated really liked that you locked your baby in the car. Just one more way that CMTO boosts the local economy!

Terrible Twos

All ages are awesome.  Two is actually a good age, they are getting more verbal.  I am trying to imagine a 15/16/17 month old running around camp - very mobile but who knows how verbal, in terms of paying attention.  I figure a minimum of one adult full time toddler minding - which isn't very inducive to camp.  Basically I have talked myself out of encouraging DD and SiL to come to camp this year.    ;-)

So this means we can count on R@63 to be partying, not babysitting?

I'm not sure how baby-league Volley-Hockey-Ball would work, but I'll get @elaine amj  working on it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 10:38:06 AM by Le Poisson »

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »
Without giving away camp[s location, it is a shorter drive from YYZ to the site than it is from YOW.

Edit to add usual Toronto caveats regarding traffic, construction, and flight/airport delays. Actually, once you figure in the time it takes to walk through the terminals and get bags at YYZ, YOW may be faster. Regardless, there is a fairly sizeable (almost an hour) difference in driving time between YOW and YYZ to camp, with YYZ --> camp being the faster option for driving.

Thanks for the heads-up - though I admit flying into Ottawa sounds more appealing in terms of the chaos factor...I was appalled last time at how long it took to get to my "airport" hotel, and I didn't even have a bag to wait for! I would rather have an extra hour of driving than deal with Toronto chaos. Or is it really just as chaotic to get out of Ottawa? I have never flown into there. :)

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2022, 09:17:57 AM »
Yow there would have no real traffic though...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up - though I admit flying into Ottawa sounds more appealing in terms of the chaos factor...I was appalled last time at how long it took to get to my "airport" hotel, and I didn't even have a bag to wait for! I would rather have an extra hour of driving than deal with Toronto chaos. Or is it really just as chaotic to get out of Ottawa? I have never flown into there. :)

I hear you on this.

For folks who have been to a few CMTO events, the change of scenery between Ottawa and Toronto may be welcome too. And the difference in travel time is only really one traffic jam in Toronto, so yeah, folks can make up their own mind. I think carpool/sleepover opportunities are the bigger factor in figuring out where to land your plane for this. Either airport will weigh in about equally for actual travel time from landing to arriving at our little escape.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2022, 12:51:51 PM »

Thanks Dee. 

Lol, you do realize that you've given enough bits of information to calculate a range of candidate locations right? Fair warning, my spouse may be writing a script to generate a heatmap of possible venues as we speak. XD

But I told him you were being cagey on purpose, so we prooobably shouldn't post the map and/or determined location once we have it...

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2022, 01:09:00 PM »
How would you find the right one though? Hard to spot the pack of stealth wealthy mustachians. We look like everyone else.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2022, 02:33:34 PM »

Thanks Dee. 

Lol, you do realize that you've given enough bits of information to calculate a range of candidate locations right? Fair warning, my spouse may be writing a script to generate a heatmap of possible venues as we speak. XD

But I told him you were being cagey on purpose, so we prooobably shouldn't post the map and/or determined location once we have it...

This sounds fun. Send me a list of the candidate locations you narrow it down to and let's see if Presqu'ille is at the top.

EDIT: Whoops. I meant to say Sandbanks.

EDIT 2: Oh Crumb, I shoulda said Fort Henry.

Dammit, I keep typing the wrong thing. I give up.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 03:04:11 PM by Le Poisson »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!