Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada: Vancouver Edition - April 27-30, 2018  (Read 24224 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Camp Mustache Canada: Vancouver Edition - April 27-30, 2018
« on: November 01, 2017, 11:16:51 AM »
This is the public planning thread for Camp Mustache Canada: Vancouver*.

Starting this thread to gauge interest for this event.  Looking at the weekend of April 27-30, 2018 (~6 months from today).

Post if you would like to follow for more information (please indicate if you are just following because it's interesting, or because you are a possible attendee, so I can get a feel for interest level)!

Feel free to pass on the link to anyone you know that might be interested, or post any questions you have. :)

*Current location is Vancouver (mainland), but Vancouver Island is also a possibility (though much more expensive for people to get to, especially international travelers, so it is less likely). If you are interested in Vancouver Island, feel free to suggest venues which have space and food possibilities for us to look into. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:19:52 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada: Vancouver Edition - April 27-30, 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »
Based on what I have seen about the other CMC this year I'd be 25% likely to attend the full event. If there was a social night, get together, meet and greet option I would 100% come over from the island for that and I'd be happy to pay a premium as a drop in attendee.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »
Based on what I have seen about the other CMC this year I'd be 25% likely to attend the full event. If there was a social night, get together, meet and greet option I would 100% come over from the island for that and I'd be happy to pay a premium as a drop in attendee.

There would very, very likely be a meetup (free, of course) the night before Camp (which some campers may or may not attend), so people not attending can hang out for a bit.

It's generally just a normal MMM style meetup that last 3-4 hours.

This has been tradition before pretty much every CM (CM Seattle runs it out of Gasworks Park the night before every year, and CM Toronto had one @ a dog fountain park this year).

It in no way compares to the full camp, but there are always people that don't want to attend a full weekend, can't attend due to prior obligations, or simply didn't get tickets, so it's nice to have this meetup first. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
Cool! We will almost definitely come to a pre-camp hangout, possibly more depending on the specifics - where it is (i.e. accessible without car), if it's actually camping vs some sort of cabin setup (boyfriend doesn't camp, and we have no gear anyways), etc. Glad someone's organizing one of these here.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
Glad to see a West coast CMC!  I am keen but can not yet commit.  PTF.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
Cool! We will almost definitely come to a pre-camp hangout, possibly more depending on the specifics - where it is (i.e. accessible without car), if it's actually camping vs some sort of cabin setup (boyfriend doesn't camp, and we have no gear anyways), etc. Glad someone's organizing one of these here.

There will be cabins and beds.

So far none of the CMs involve actual camping. :)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
PTF - sounds like a lot of fun.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
PTF.

My likelihood of attending a CMC in Vancouver or Vancouver Island on those dates would be 90%.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »

I'm not a massive huge crowd kind of guy also and just love networking and meeting like-minded people. This is a great suggestion by @RC

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
I have a great connection with Tourism groups, tour guides and outdoor companies as well as between RC and Myself we have extensive hiking and biking knowledge. Maybe we can plan excursions for those wanting to experience the region more intimately on an afternoon.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 01:53:52 PM »

I'm not a massive huge crowd kind of guy also and just love networking and meeting like-minded people. This is a great suggestion by @RC

I think the majority of people who attend CM events are introverts.  Typically you end up in small groups of ~4-6 people which are fluid and changing quite a bit.  They tend to be less pressure and more supportive and intimate than regular MMM meetups.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
PTF.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »
Definitely interested!

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
ARS , that being said I ran sales booth at major global trade shows for years and specialized in corporate sales for a very long time. I'm a public speaker, retailer, guide and ambassador for many organizations......that being said I've tried to lay low and just hang with intimate groups of rad peeps I really enjoy the company of. Thus the meet and greet or small group break-outs would have me stoked.
Also with the right amount of bribery I can be convinced of as much as possible :)
Just happy you guys are considering here for a CMC

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
It's probably way too early to know, but any rough idea what attendees would be looking at for cost?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
TBD.

Checking interest right now.  If we get enough, we'll move to stage two. Right now there's been an okayish amount, but also multiple only interested in an evening meetup, not a full CM.

So we'll see over the next couple of weeks, and at that point more details will be forthcoming. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
TBD.

Checking interest right now.  If we get enough, we'll move to stage two. Right now there's been an okayish amount, but also multiple only interested in an evening meetup, not a full CM.

So we'll see over the next couple of weeks, and at that point more details will be forthcoming. :)

How can a city the size of Vancouver not attract enough people?  I would be interested in attending a whole weekend.
Some Mustachians don't want to spend the money. Some don't have the available time. Some don't think it sounds fun. Etc. Etc.

The size of the city isn't necessarily the only factor. There are some large cities without huge Mustachian contingents, and some small with a huge group.

Thus checking interest here before we start the ball rolling and put deposit money down on a location. :)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
I would be interested in attending the meet-up before the weekend but not the weekend. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
Not sure cause I paid in USD, but I believe it was between 250 and 300 CAD. It was 3 days, 2 nights, food included. So about 133 CAD/night for room and board.

This event would likely be in a similar range (IDK how Vancouver compares to Ontario in pricing, but I wouldn't imagine more than +/- 20%) on a per night basis, but would likely be 3 nights.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »
I am joining in, quite interested and excited about the possibility of CMC Vancouver.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 07:09:09 AM »
YES!  I'm planning about a month of travel around the western US post-FIRE in the spring.  To bookend it with CMC-Vancouver and CM-Seattle (provided I can score tickets to both) would be amazing!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:10 AM »
90% chance that I, or myself and DH, could make it down for this.   

PTF :)

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
Posting to follow.  Vancouver is easier for me to get to than TO, but I have fewer external reasons to make the trip so... Maybe 40% chance?

I think you might be underestimating the West Coast/BC price ARS.  CMC 2017 was well outside the GTA proper, hosted at a not-for-profit (I think) and rural Ontario is cheap.  Nowhere in BC is really cheap anymore.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »
I think you might be underestimating the West Coast/BC price ARS.  CMC 2017 was well outside the GTA proper, hosted at a not-for-profit (I think) and rural Ontario is cheap.  Nowhere in BC is really cheap anymore.

Heh. I have zero thoughts around a number. I declined to answer about a price except with a "to be determined" and then was pressed to come up with something anyways, so I made something up. You're likely right.  We'll see.  :)

Bottom line is: We're all Mustachian, and don't want to spend more than necessary. The event will be run as a non-profit event, e.g. no one will make money on running it. We will attempt to do so as cheaply as possible.  :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:17:59 AM by arebelspy »

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
I'm interested (although I'm fairly spoilt living right next to CM NW USA).

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »
PTF. I give it a 80% chance of attending the full event at the moment. A ramp up of travel hacking to attend both cmc events would be in order.

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
Do it in Victoria on the Island! I have two Airbnb's people can stay at (special rate).

Venues? All kinds...Bard and Banker has a private room / patio that can be reserved.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
I am totally interested in coming!.....

Unless I win the lottery for Toronto. A few hours car rides win on Travel Hacking my way to Vancouver (though I do have the points already saved up)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »
I have two Airbnb's people can stay at (special rate).

I might be interested in this for a Mustachian event that is not a Camp Mustache... PM me details! :)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
Victoria would probably be the most expensive place second to Tofino that I could think of on Vancouver Island.
Really dig into costs.

Sensible location a short drive or circle from the Nanaimo region. Two Ferries arrive here daily, one from North Vancouver (highway to Whistler) and one from South Vancouver very close to Washington border. There is also an airport here that has flights daily from the major terminals and even a daily Seattle service. (Cassidy/Nanaimo airport)

Michalit20

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
PTF.
Dates are about 2 weeks prior to my planned last day at work, so not ideal, but definitely interested.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »
Not sure if you've chosen a location yet, but have you considered a boat-access place? They seem to be cheaper, and include the boat ride to get there, which could be a fun and scenic activity in and of itself. We were discussing the idea on the Vancouver Mustachians Facebook page, and found a couple of options that looked interesting:

https://www.bgcbc.ca/what-we-do/camp-potlatch/outdoor-centre/

http://www.campjubilee.ca/about-2/

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but interested!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
PTF. I'm a "maybe" for attending. Either way, I'd love to help plan!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
PTF. The dates might work out for me. 30% chance

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 05:13:41 AM »
P2F...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 12:55:36 AM »
Interested!

I know you are narrowing down on vancouver island, but if you want a lead on a catered year-round retreat / chalet center, in Maple Ridge, Vancouver, let me know.   (I also have a contact at the group ski chalet in Mt. Seymour Park, North vancouver, for a $10 per person/ night accommodation, sleeps 60, but you arrange your own food, which is a bit rustic with electricity and a kitchen, but no showers).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 03:42:20 AM »
I know you are narrowing down on vancouver island, but if you want a lead on a catered year-round retreat / chalet center, in Maple Ridge, Vancouver, let me know.

Yes please! PM me!

We spent the month of August in Maple Ridge. Great town, full of super friendly Canadians. :)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
Interested.  Probably 50% likely to attend.

Seattle Carter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
Interested in attending!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »
P2F...

I should have specified that I am interested in attending.

Question:  is the date (April 27 - 30) set in stone?  I would be more likely to attend if it were after that weekend, but that's just me.

Ms. Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »
Yes! Interested!!

I think Mt Seymour would be the perfect venue! Surrounded by beautiful nature and outdoor recreation opportunities (hiking, mountain biking), plus you're still close to the city so it's not expensive to get to (unlike taking ferries to Vancouver Island). You can even get most of the way there by public transit. It also sounds like the right price too. Since it's so close to the city, maybe you could even get catering delivered? Seymour gets my vote!

Interested!

I know you are narrowing down on vancouver island, but if you want a lead on a catered year-round retreat / chalet center, in Maple Ridge, Vancouver, let me know.   (I also have a contact at the group ski chalet in Mt. Seymour Park, North vancouver, for a $10 per person/ night accommodation, sleeps 60, but you arrange your own food, which is a bit rustic with electricity and a kitchen, but no showers).

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
PTF!
Would like to attend BUT probably can't make it.

BWholehearted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »
OK, I feel kinda dumb asking but the The Google is not giving me a definitive answer, What do "PTF" and "P2F" stand for?

Also, I am theoretically interested in joining depending on dates/cost/ease of travel vs. the Colorado one. I'm in Montana. I would lean toward this one if someone was willing and able to share a ride from the Seattle area since I can fly cheap there (but not to Vancouver).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »
PTF = P2F = posting to follow

SpareChangeYourLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »
PTF.  I would love to attend one of these things soon, however I think it will have to come in the summertime.  I'm a teacher.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »
Interested! 60% would attend. I have commitment issues. :)

CascadeFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:21 AM »
Hello,

This finally got me to register for the forums here so congratulations. I'm still trying to understand how it was decided to plan a Vancouver area camping event in April? We still have snow on the trails in June and sometimes July. But if it's all inside cabins or something it should be fine. I'm the founder of the Money Mustache Meetup for Vancouver and if it looks like this is going to happen I'm happy to do what I can to help promote things. Stephanie is an organizer for the Meetup who has been more involved on these forums previously so she is certainly someone to work with as well.

I would invite anyone who is interested in discussing this with more of the local people to join our Facebook group and start a discussion on this camp out to help gauge interest. https://www.facebook.com/groups/627244907391836/
It looks like the one planned in Bellingham has currently gained a bit more traction but there's no reason one on the North side of the 49th parallel couldn't be great too. I'm just a bit concerned about how plans are coming along with these dates getting so close.

-Luke

CascadeFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 02:26:51 AM »
I just looked at the planned event for Toronto and it appears they have some interesting talks/discussions planned. I think we could have some good ones in Vancouver too. I know a guy who is an evangelical stoic who could put on a talk about creating stoic joy and overcoming suffering. We could have a discussion about cross-border investing, taxes, and finance. I'd be interested in talking about alternative investments like real estate development, hard money lending, house hacking, and speculation.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 06:51:14 AM »
I'm still trying to understand how it was decided to plan a Vancouver area camping event in April? We still have snow on the trails in June and sometimes July.

There will be cabins and beds.

So far none of the CMs involve actual camping. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!