Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347921 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #650 on: January 25, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
Two expired ones equals a current one, right?

As long as one of them has a cell phone to dial 911.

There are roaming charges in Canada. Best be a canuck who makes the call.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #651 on: January 25, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
Two expired ones equals a current one, right?

As long as one of them has a cell phone to dial 911.

There are roaming charges in Canada. Best be a canuck who makes the call.

Is the emergency number the same in Canada?

Or are you planning on calling US emergency services because, despite the travel time, you have more confidence they won't show up with a packet of maple syrup?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #652 on: January 25, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »
Actually, we've switched over to UK Emergency services. The more attractive attendants was the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ

So remember: 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #653 on: January 25, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »
IT Crowd FTW.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: January 26, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
IT Crowd is the best sitcom ever.  :)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #655 on: January 30, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »
Second lot of tickets go on sale in a week!  Excited to see who else will be joining us in October.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #656 on: January 31, 2017, 05:33:23 AM »
Oh crap. Yeah. Need to stop stressing about world events and get stuff done instead.

Its go time

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #657 on: January 31, 2017, 05:40:08 AM »
Props--two questions:

When you announce the next batch of tickets, do we just respond here to nab a spot?  (And then, obviously follow up by sending a check.)

Should some schedule conflict arise later, can I post here that my ticket is available and offer it up for sale?

Thanks.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #658 on: January 31, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »
Props--two questions:

When you announce the next batch of tickets, do we just respond here to nab a spot?  (And then, obviously follow up by sending a check.)

Should some schedule conflict arise later, can I post here that my ticket is available and offer it up for sale?

Thanks.

@100-6: Good questions. The day before I open up new spots, I'll post here to make everyone aware. Then I will update the OP in this thread with a time that I will start accepting applications, an email addy, and a subject line. If you get a spot (there are thirty beds coming available) you will see a reply to your email with payment instructions. You will also get a form requesting information I need to make the event happen.

I cannot refund payments. Sorry. That cash will be used to make the event happen. I have already paid out a venue deposit, ordered supplies, etc. We are keeping this very low cost (possibly the cheapest CM around?)

If for whatever reason you cannot make it to camp you are welcome to sell/transfer your ticket. I just ask that you PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I need to keep an updated list of attendees for bunk assignments, special diets, etc.

Please see the first post of this thread for a bunch of other FAQ's.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #659 on: January 31, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
Great--thanks.

Yep--sorry if I wasn't clear--wasn't looking for a refund--just wondered if I'd be able to sell my golden ticket to another would-be camper.

Sounds like such fun.  Thanks for all your work on it!

XCIV

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #660 on: January 31, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »
Woot!! It's coming, its coming!!!

And as always - for those who wish to pay in US$, you can send me the US$ equivalent (email transfer or mailed check) and I will send the Cdn$ to Prospector. We've got a good system going with email transfers and it turned out to be really easy for everyone :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #661 on: January 31, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
Potter fans - this is teh week before CMC and might interest you:

http://www.narcity.com/toronto/this-ontario-town-will-be-transformed-into-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-this-year/

Tickets are on sale today.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #662 on: January 31, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »

http://www.narcity.com/toronto/this-ontario-town-will-be-transformed-into-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-this-year/

You tease.  All sold out.  :(

EDIT: Reading their FB page, it's crazy. People were there right the second they released the batches of tickets, and couldn't get them.  https://www.facebook.com/hptt2017/?fref=ts

The idiots need to understand pricing better.  Instead of charging $15-20, up it to $50, or $100.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:32:31 PM by arebelspy »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #663 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »

The new release today sold out too?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #664 on: January 31, 2017, 10:38:04 PM »

The new release today sold out too?

Oh yeah. Both of their new releases today sold out within 10 seconds.  Even people sitting there at the time and clicking refresh may not have gotten some.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #665 on: February 01, 2017, 08:14:46 AM »
Well, it was such a hot ticket precisely because of the very reasonable ticket price. At $50-$100, they could easily have struggled with ticket sales. Now is their chance to capitalize on it - set up a special VIP experience and sell a few hundred entries for $100-$200pp. Good for Goderich - its a lovely little town and its fantastic to have such a popular festival during what is likely to be a slower season.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #666 on: February 01, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
Yeah - AFAIK, all that's in Goderich is a salt mine.

Elaine I need to email you today. Don't let me forget. T-minus 6 days to the next CMC seat release.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #667 on: February 01, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
Well, it was such a hot ticket precisely because of the very reasonable ticket price. At $50-$100, they could easily have struggled with ticket sales. Now is their chance to capitalize on it - set up a special VIP experience and sell a few hundred entries for $100-$200pp. Good for Goderich - its a lovely little town and its fantastic to have such a popular festival during what is likely to be a slower season.

Sure, but there's a "correct"/optimal price that maximizes revenue.  They clearly were nowehere near that.

Maybe no one purchases them at $1000 apiece, and maybe they have so much demand they sell out in literally 10 seconds over 8 months early at $20 apiece, but maybe they sell out over the course of a few days at $75 apiece, and over a few months at $125 apiece, or whatever.  Not unreasonable at all for a three-day festival.

When they're doing the whole thing to raise money for charity and their town, you'd think having 3-5x or more the money brought in, with the same amount of happy people attending (and much less unhappy people at not being able to attend), would be nice.

I mean, I'm personally bummed, but that aside, just commenting on how capitalism works--there was way more demand than supply, so their prices were clearly too low.  :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #668 on: February 01, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
So, on that note, Camp Mustache Canada should cost more?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #669 on: February 01, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »

Bazinga!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #670 on: February 01, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
Actually, I think the price is about right for our location, offering, etc. We sold 90% of release 1 within an hour of the release. The remaining spots took a few days to sell.

Now what happens with release 2 will tell how accurate our pricing is.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #671 on: February 01, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »
The forum is continuously teaching me new things. Sometimes two at once! I looked up bazinga, and found its meaning, and also that we have a whole jellyfish genus with this name nearby. It was only recently discovered - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazinga_(jellyfish) There is also a bee...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #672 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »

CMC is definitely priced silly cheap. I'm amazed at the value.  :)

Not complaining, and since the money doesn't go to charity, it's more like Vanguard, where keeping costs down helps the people attending, which is the whole point.

It's the opposite of a situation in which one is trying to maximize a cost to raise money.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #673 on: February 01, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »

CMC is definitely priced silly cheap. I'm amazed at the value.  :)

Not complaining, and since the money doesn't go to charity, it's more like Vanguard, where keeping costs down helps the people attending, which is the whole point.

It's the opposite of a situation in which one is trying to maximize a cost to raise money.

I've done my best to keep costs down. Here's why...

1.) Raw financial impact of the real cost of a weekend like this:
  a) A lot of the folks attending are early on the path to ER. A $500 (total cost incl. travel, etc.) weekend is a big chunk of some of their savings. Grown over time that cash could be big (thinking of a year 1 saver here). OTOH, $500 spent to attend could give you ways to increase savings by $1000's in your first year. The upfront cost can't be a barrier to attending and making the gains. I am not being eloquent. do I make sense?
  b) Travel costs on top of attendance costs can balloon a $500 weekend to thousands, and the local draw is not huge. Many (most) will be travelling more than 2 hours.
  c) For the non-ER crowd (me) a missed day of work will add $100 - $300 to the cost of the event.

2. I think it would be hypocritical for me to lock into a posh venue for an event for a crowd that celebrates simple pleasures. Finding a venue that fed into the tenets of frugality, simplicity, environmental awareness, and charity was not easy, but was very important to me. I started off looking to support independent family businesses. When I saw this venue with its charitable registration, it immediately changed everything. The added bonus of a very reasonable price fed into item 1.

3. Where CM (Seattle) allows room for scholarships in its budget, I do not. For folks whose budget is very tight, I need this to be doable on a travel hack or carpooling. The benefits must outweigh the cost by 3:1. I believe I am hitting that target IF attendees apply the information shared. If you are coming for a weekend at the Marriott and hoping for a cabana boy to bring you towels... well... the CB ratio will be off then.

4. Local draw - in the GTA there are not as many Mustachians as Seattle or NYC or some other areas. If I am going to fill bunks I need this pricepoint to appeal to folks from afar. Price will be a factor there for sure.

5. International Borders - Similar to item 4, some folks are getting/renewing passports to come. Not only is this an added cost, it is added effort and added risk in taking a bunk. I needed to come up with a price that offset the cost and risk folks are taking on. Some folks who are attending have never been to Canada before. For them the perceived risk (there really isn't any) of spending time in a foreign culture (its not really different) needs to be offset as well. The uncertainty of travelling abroad can be seen as an exotic as well (its not) so I guess I could market this as a reason to pay more??? Dunno, I'm not in marketing. How do I make McDonald's Canadian Menu exciting and exotic? Anyone?

In summary, I have worked hard to hold a hard budget line and I think we will hit the targeted $235 per bunk price. We may need to get creative on some facets of the event, and it is only 3 days (Seattle is 4) but I think that as long as everyone arrives with an open mind and willing to participate and relax we will have a great time. There will be no gold flakes on your ice cream. There will not be $100 bills to light the non-existent Cuban cigars with. And its BYOB - the Courvoisier will only be available if YOU bring it. But I still believe that it will be a good time and dollar-for-dollar entirely worth the cost.

Finally I don't want this to be a 3-day long brag session. Please share your successes, but really I don't care if your NW is a bajillion dollars or a buck-ninety-five. I want to laugh with you, canoe a little, and bust a move on the dance floor. I have no desire (or time for) brag sessions.

Wow this got long and preachy. I'll hit post anyways. Feel free to blast me as needed.

<Edit for 3 reasons:

1. Thanks ARS for recognizing teh work that has gone into keeping this a low cost weekend. I'm glad people recognize what I'm up to.
2. The only way to keep it low cost is to keep tasking in-house, so thanks too to teh folks who have stepped up as presenters and helpers. I will be looking for more folks "in a supporting role" as the event draws nearer.
3. I openly admit we are flying a test-balloon here. If this is a success, and if feedback is positive, we can try to make this happen again in the future. Since this is the beta-event, it will not be perfect, and folks may give feedback that for an extra $50pp it's worth it to get a balloon artist and face painter next year. For this first go though, simple and low cost is my mantra.>
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:39:37 PM by Prospector »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #674 on: February 01, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »
Prospector

THANKS!!!

I am amazed at the value too.

Canada (which I visited for the first time last year) IS AWESOME. Canadians are wonderful people (probably more like New Zealanders than Australians) - super nice (even when they are pissed off at you for visiting their museum when it is closed, and all the information SAID it was closed, but the caravan park person said it was open and they are drop dead busy trying to get all the exhibits sorted out for the opening next week). And (I beg to differ) Canadian culture is foreign - probably especially to Americans, because it is more like that of Australia and New Zealand in that all three countries separated amicably from Britain only a bit over a century ago. The other thing is that the US is a superpower, and the people don't get taught about other places, whereas the citizens of countries with smaller populations need to know about other peoples.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #675 on: February 01, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
Prospector

THANKS!!!

I am amazed at the value too.

Canada (which I visited for the first time last year) IS AWESOME. Canadians are wonderful people (probably more like New Zealanders than Australians) - super nice (even when they are pissed off at you for visiting their museum when it is closed, and all the information SAID it was closed, but the caravan park person said it was open and they are drop dead busy trying to get all the exhibits sorted out for the opening next week). And (I beg to differ) Canadian culture is foreign - probably especially to Americans, because it is more like that of Australia and New Zealand in that all three countries separated amicably from Britain only a bit over a century ago. The other thing is that the US is a superpower, and the people don't get taught about other places, whereas the citizens of countries with smaller populations need to know about other peoples.

Also here we call them campgrounds or trailer parks. ;0)

Thanks for thanking me.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: February 01, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
I'm all about a no-frills weekend keeping costs low. Like you said Prospector....it would feel very contrary to the things we try to practice here to splurge on luxuries for CMC. Thanks so much for all the work you have poured into this!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #677 on: February 01, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »
Actually, I think the price is about right for our location, offering, etc. We sold 90% of release 1 within an hour of the release. The remaining spots took a few days to sell.

Now what happens with release 2 will tell how accurate our pricing is.

I think all of us stragglers on the first release had already told you that we had work/were very busy and important.

I think Goderich is pricing low on purpose for the same reason CMC is. Areas like Goderich have a couple of rich families, and a lot of big families on tight budgets. I'd also suspect that the event is low-budget volunteer run. No one paying $20/ticket will be upset if the displays are handpainted by super-cool 12 and 82 year olds. Restaurants and stores will be overflowing, and they might get people to come back in a few months to look at the Christmas lights or craft fairs.

That being said, I wish I could take two weekends in a row and do Harry Potter +CMC. And I think our weekend will be super amazingly fun. Once we finalize the schedule, we'll realize we're very busy and have lots of amazing things to see do and learn.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:41:02 PM by ElleFiji »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #678 on: February 01, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »
I've never heard anyone bragging at CMC. Not sure why it'd be a concern. :)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #679 on: February 01, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »
I've never heard anyone bragging at CMC. Not sure why it'd be a concern. :)

This is good to hear. Because I ditched my HS reunion for precisely this reason.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #680 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »

Well didn't you see Prospector's earlier post:

If for whatever reason you cannot make it to camp you are welcome to sell/transfer your ticket. I just ask that you PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I need to keep an updated list of attendees for bunk assignments, special diets, etc.

He never said you couldn't sell/transfer for more than you paid. Secondary market FTW ;)

Just kidding (mainly), and more seriously, thanks Prospector for keeping costs low. Much appreciated.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #681 on: February 02, 2017, 06:28:53 AM »

Well didn't you see Prospector's earlier post:

He never said you couldn't sell/transfer for more than you paid. Secondary market FTW ;)

Just kidding (mainly), and more seriously, thanks Prospector for keeping costs low. Much appreciated.

Whose kidding??? I have 4 tix for the fam, if these things double in value, I'm cashing in and taking a European vacation instead!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2017, 06:32:39 AM »
Next seat release... Monday Feb 6 (See post 1). I will be releasing all remaining bunks at this time. Spread the word, update signatures, etc.

It may sell out faster than a Harry Potter themed street party. You never know!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #683 on: February 02, 2017, 06:44:57 AM »
Next seat release... Monday Feb 6 (See post 1). I will be releasing all remaining bunks at this time. Spread the word, update signatures, etc.

Sorry, but what does the bolded part mean?  I don't see anything in post 1 about signatures required for anything.  Thanks.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #684 on: February 02, 2017, 06:47:59 AM »

Sorry, but what does the bolded part mean?  I don't see anything in post 1 about signatures required for anything.  Thanks.

Our entire advertising budget is folks voluntarily putting stuff in their signatures about meatball parties and male-to-female ratios at CMC. So far, it seems to be working.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: February 02, 2017, 06:50:55 AM »
Oh--gotcha!  I was imagining some sort of electronic signature on our e-mail to you--or signing away some large portion of our stash...

Thanks!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #686 on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »
Updated my signature!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #687 on: February 02, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »
Updated my signature!

That's beautiful. Thank you!

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: February 02, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
I'm curious now- what is the male to female ratio?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #689 on: February 02, 2017, 12:15:17 PM »
I'm curious now- what is the male to female ratio?

I believe we are now at a perfect 1:1, but that spreadsheet is at home.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #690 on: February 02, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
Updated my sig - made it all fancy...
Getting dizzy yet?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #691 on: February 02, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
Getting dizzy yet?

Oooh scrolling text!! I think there is a flash function on SMF as well, but I am grateful that it has not been enabled here. Scrolling and flashing text would just be too much.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #692 on: February 02, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
Getting dizzy yet?

Oooh scrolling text!! I think there is a flash function on SMF as well, but I am grateful that it has not been enabled here. Scrolling and flashing text would just be too much.
de

Maybe too much, or maybe just enough......
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:08:22 PM by G-dog »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: February 02, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
@G-dog That sure is some fancy scrolling! I think CMC is going to outperform the Harry Potter event at this rate!

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #694 on: February 02, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
In the interest of public safety, CMC will be a flashing-free event. If swag includes bike lights, we will all  use the solid light function until such time as the event concludes.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #695 on: February 02, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »
In the interest of public safety, CMC will be a flashing-free event.

There goes the skinny dipping at the lake plan.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #696 on: February 02, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
Hmmm, what are the odds of finding a cheap flight from the west coast in the next 9 months. . .I am seriously contemplating this! 

Anyone else going to be flying in and need to find their way there from the airport?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #697 on: February 02, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »
Hmmm, what are the odds of finding a cheap flight from the west coast in the next 9 months. . .I am seriously contemplating this! 

Cheap flight?

I don't know your credit score, but if it's decent, and you're willing to sign up for a credit card, how about a free flight, the Camp fee paid for, a second free flight, and cash back in your pocket, instead?

;)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #698 on: February 03, 2017, 05:28:40 AM »

Anyone else going to be flying in and need to find their way there from the airport?

We've talked about it a few times - check flights to YTO as well as to BUF This will cover the three closest airports to camp. Folks are setting up carpools and transit options.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #699 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:40 AM »
Since I'm at home and the spreadsheet is handy... right now we have 11 males to 15 females. This seat release will sell out bunks (30 spots) and I am still looking for 2 speakers and a morning fitness leader for day 2. If anyone here is willing to share a topic they are passionate about or lead an aerobics class or a jog or something, please step up.

Also the number above don't lie - the ladies are obviously better at spotting an awesome weekend away!