Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 347927 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #300 on: November 22, 2016, 06:55:10 PM »
When we went in 2002 (that long ago already?) it was 100CAN:85AUS.  New Zealand was 100Can:65NZ.  Lovely for us, hard for you.  Then we hit Hawai'i and the American exchange rate hit us.

Where do they get their silk?  I know China has a huge silk production industry and it is nice silk.

Two men and a dog?  What does the dog do?
Wears earmuffs if you believe the picture - http://www.firsteditionfibres.com.au/background.html

I was only looking at the last 5 years http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=CAD&to=AUD&view=5Y

Silk is very easy to find in Australia - don't know where it comes from (we could make it, but I think SE Asia is more likely - probably Thailand), but I've been able to get it at lots of places.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #301 on: November 22, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
Nonstop craft talk, and you wonder why no males are signing up?  :P

Don't worry everyone, there will be plenty of awesome conversations if you aren't interested in underwater basket weaving.  ;)

Also, the wife and I will definitely be bringing games, assuming we have our RV by then (less likely if we have to fly in.)

Deborah will be Merlin, but will look REALLY red at first. :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: November 22, 2016, 07:10:42 PM »

Don't worry everyone, there will be plenty of awesome conversations if you aren't interested in underwater basket weaving.  ;)

Also, the wife and I will definitely be bringing games, assuming we have our RV by then (less likely if we have to fly in.)

When I was learning basket-weaving at camp (I think I was 10) they made us soak the reeds in water for at least 10 minutes so they would be pliable.  I suppose we could have done the whole thing in the lake, would have been easier.

So who else is coming and what else is being planned? I guess we are the only proactive ones (can we jump up and down on Rebs when we see him for being so anti-crafts?).  I asked if any curling rinks would have ice in so we could show the non-curlers the true winter sport (takes agility, balance, a keen eye, clear scoring with no ref, and, for some, beer) and heard crickets.  Do I declutter my broom and slider or bring them?

I have a bench with a cribbage board in the top.  Crib anyone?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: November 22, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »

Now see, that's an expression I have never understood. Wouldn't underwater basketweaving be HARD?

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #304 on: November 22, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »
I have a bench with a cribbage board in the top.  Crib anyone?

Yes, lots of crib as it helps give the hands something to do while talking. In addition it does tend to involve rye whisky in my household. So much so that I am debating taking a checked bag to bring a bottle from a local distillery I really like.

What games have you got on the brain Mr. Spy? I know this is a year from now but are we talking larger party games ( apples to apples, Cards Against Humanity, Secret Hitler, Warewolf), eurogames ( Caylus, Alhambra, Dominon, Tichu) or traditional ( Monopoly, Trouble, Risk, Axis and Allies). There are just so many choices.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #305 on: November 22, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »
I already have experience being an American who goes to Canada to lose in hockey tournaments. But I am not likely to travel with gear...:)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: November 22, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »
Can't we just have....conversations? You know, like, talk to each other?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: November 22, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
I thought we'd all bring laptops and compare spreadsheets.

Can I show you guys how MATCH-OFFSET formulas work in exchange for someone honing my skills with SUMPRODUCT referencing text positions?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: November 22, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »
OMG

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: November 22, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
Don't worry PBK - we'll talk to you. But really, you any good at excel, 'cause then we'll have EVEN MORE to talk to you about!!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #310 on: November 22, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
Talk is good. Fun is good. Games help to break the ice (well, I hope there isn't much ice around). Can I just bring a USB stick and use your laptop?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
Don't worry PBK - we'll talk to you. But really, you any good at excel, 'cause then we'll have EVEN MORE to talk to you about!!

LOL. MBA in Finance, Prosp. Also CPA, CFP.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2016, 07:43:37 PM »

you wanna do a workshop?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #313 on: November 22, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
I'm sure the people who are coming can give workshops lead discussions - you can talk lead a discussion about mustashian fixes for houses, ARS about mustashian travel...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
I'm sure the people who are coming can give workshops lead discussions - you can talk lead a discussion about mustashian fixes for houses, ARS about mustashian travel...

Oh, I've checked a few boxes already Deb, but now I have an excel expert to teach me how to optimise my spreadsheets.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »

you wanna do a workshop?

No, Prosps. That's too much like work. I will be sitting by the fire, the lone extrovert in the room, looking up as you all walk by, hoping that one or two of you introverts will have enough psychic energy left to talk to me.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #316 on: November 22, 2016, 07:55:18 PM »

you wanna do a workshop?

No, Prosps. That's too much like work. I will be sitting by the fire, the lone extrovert in the room, looking up as you all walk by, hoping that one or two of you introverts will have enough psychic energy left to talk to me.

There is free wifi. We can message each other on the forum.   <-- I didn't even know about the emojis!!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: November 22, 2016, 07:56:10 PM »

you wanna do a workshop?

Oh come on. You know I never shut up.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: November 22, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »
MJ is the person you want for your spreadsheets, Prosps. She has Mad Skillz.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #319 on: November 22, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »

She has every skill. Its why she's my favourite.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »

She has every skill. Its why she's my favourite.

WHAT! I thought I was your favourite!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2016, 09:04:49 PM »
(can we jump up and down on Rebs when we see him for being so anti-crafts?)

Don't assume I'm anti-crafts!

Crafts are awesome.  But not everyone thinks so, so I was reassuring other (potential) attendees that it won't be all crafts.  :)

What games have you got on the brain Mr. Spy? I know this is a year from now but are we talking larger party games ( apples to apples, Cards Against Humanity, Secret Hitler, Warewolf), eurogames ( Caylus, Alhambra, Dominon, Tichu) or traditional ( Monopoly, Trouble, Risk, Axis and Allies). There are just so many choices.

Mostly the first and second categories.  :)

I could play games like Werewolf/Secret Hitler/Avalon/Resistance/etc. (they're all basically the same game) for 12 hours straight.  :P

YES!  There will be lots and lots and lots of that.  :D

Even some spreadsheet talk!  :P
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #322 on: November 22, 2016, 09:30:11 PM »

I will sit by the fire and have conversations (or just listen to MJ talk and talk).  I don't craft and am not up on any cool games.  My spreadsheet skills are basic so I'll be more of a learner than teacher.  But I can hit the liquor store before arriving, so I do bring that to the table...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: November 22, 2016, 09:31:36 PM »

I will sit by the fire and have conversations (or just listen to MJ talk and talk).  I don't craft and am not up on any cool games.  My spreadsheet skills are basic so I'll be more of a learner than teacher.  But I can hit the liquor store before arriving, so I do bring that to the table...

Sounds good to me!

Jschange

« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
(can we jump up and down on Rebs when we see him for being so anti-crafts?)

Don't assume I'm anti-crafts!

Crafts are awesome.  But not everyone thinks so, so I was reassuring other (potential) attendees that it won't be all crafts.  :)

Mostly the first and second categories.  :)

I could play games like Werewolf/Secret Hitler/Avalon/Resistance/etc. (they're all basically the same game) for 12 hours straight.  :P

YES!  There will be lots and lots and lots of that.  :D

Even some spreadsheet talk!  :P
GAMES??? I am not talking or learning about spreadsheets. I'm just playing games until I look like the after in a drugs age you campaign. I don't even know what games. Just games.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #325 on: November 23, 2016, 02:28:17 AM »
GAMES??? I am not talking or learning about spreadsheets. I'm just playing games until I look like the after in a drugs age you campaign. I don't even know what games. Just games.

My kinda people!  :D

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2016, 06:11:23 AM »
All this chatter is fun, and I also have Axis and allies, so we could bring it - I've only played it once, the strategy was fun, the game took FOR-EV-ER!!! (I won)

We have 3 tickets left in presale. Just a reminder in case everyone thought we'd sold out. It would be nice to see them go. If you haven't put CMC2017 in your signature, I encourage you to link back to the thread.

If the tix don't go, I am not distressed. We have enough folks coming that I can float what is left of the deposit on the venue.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #327 on: November 23, 2016, 06:42:45 AM »
I'm retired.  Do I need to do all this financial spreadsheet stuff?  I do spreadsheets to track investment income, but not on any sort of regular basis or structure.  I do love spreadsheets in their proper place, so much easier to calculate grades with a spread sheet than a grade book.

I'll happily sit by the fire and chat.  Or a quiet crib game instead of some 10 person rowdy board game (I don't know those games anyway, and would be playing a bunch of game sharks).

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #328 on: November 23, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
Last night I played with numbers on the spreadsheet. The only fixed costs that I have to work from right now are the cost of bunks, so I am forced to estimate the rest. I have a good handle on meals based on last summer's catering menu, but that is subject to change. Other things (supplies, shirts, nametags, etc.) are based on prices supplied by the Seattle CM or Momma and my local experience with events for Scouting/Cadets/Guiding.

My current projection puts us at $235 PP using only the 17 spots that are taken. I am crystal balling for a year from now, and there will be 3X as many attendees, so many costs will go down (economies of scale). For me, the biggest question is with the catering budget.

In any case that is your budget update. For folks who are sitting on the fence waiting for a better handle on costs, I won't be able to nail down the budget until January at the very nutty earliest (ie. don't count on it), but this at least gives a starting point.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
Do you have anyone doing Canadian tax planning?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #330 on: November 23, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
Do you have anyone doing Canadian tax planning?

Not yet - but I'd welcome it!!

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #331 on: November 23, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
Did you advertise in the Ottawa and TO meetup groups?  Facebook Mustachian groups?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: November 23, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »
Did you advertise in the Ottawa and TO meetup groups?  Facebook Mustachian groups?

Bubbles are bubbling. I'm not concerned with those spots, in fact I am quite confident that they will fill in time. A number of emails have hit my inbox that make this more and more interesting by the hour.

I may even have to wear a tie or something. Sadly, nothing is in a state for an announcement just yet...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »

Does he need to?  Camp Mustache is stickied to the top of the page, which is great notice.  Plus it looks like a lot of us "know" each other anyone from the Journals.  So there is lots of Journal advertising.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #334 on: November 23, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
CRAP ON A CRACKER!

RE:TRANSMITTING $50CAD FROM US TO CANADA

OK as an FYI to other non-Canadians here are all the payment methods that have been quasi-stymied to date:
1. Email money transfer - I can do this within the US, but not to Canada
2. International Money Order via USPS - they'll fill out the form, pick Canada as the country, but cannot tell me whether $50 is US or CAD. So, I will get charged $50US + $4.75 fee, and Prosps may cash it for $59CAD upon receipt in CA, or $50US - there is no way of knowing.
3. I can apparently go to my bank and get $50CAD in cash - and then mail to Prosps - seriously, sending cash through the mail.

this is so ridiculous!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #335 on: November 23, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
CRAP ON A CRACKER!

OK as an FYI to other non-Canadians here are all the payment methods that have been quasi-stymied to date:
2. International Money Order via USPS - they'll fill out the form, pick Canada as the country, but cannot tell me whether $50 is US or CAD. So, I will get charged $50US + $4.75 fee, and Prosps may cash it for $59CAD upon receipt in CA, or $50US - there is no way of knowing.
3. I can apparently go to my bank and get $50CAD in cash - and then mail to Prosps - seriously, sending cash through the mail.

this is so ridiculous!

• Try Western Union.
  • If you have cheques, write Fifty Canadian Dollars, and mail it.
  • Fly up, hand me $50, fly home.

Are others having similar issues down there?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:12:07 PM by Prospector »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #336 on: November 23, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »
CRAP ON A CRACKER!

this is so ridiculous!

Try Western Union.

I believe there are huge fees - but I'll confirm that....
If I go to the main office of my bank (I was at a sattelite office) - I can tap into more expertise.....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #337 on: November 23, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
When I bought indigo seeds from a lady in the US we used PayPal transfer between friends.

Refraining from surprised unhappy comments about getting money out of the US in a seemly fashion.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #338 on: November 23, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
CRAP ON A CRACKER!

this is so ridiculous!

My understanding was that I can just write a check (on a US bank account) for $50 and when it is cashed in Canada (as a cheque), it will deduct $50CAD at the exchange rate of that day. Maybe the exchange rate won't be the best I could do, but it's easier than paying for other methods of transfer or headaches.

Le North Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #339 on: November 23, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »
Mustachian from Montreal (lovely accent) interested and posting to follow.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
CRAP ON A CRACKER!

this is so ridiculous!

My understanding was that I can just write a check (on a US bank account) for $50 and when it is cashed in Canada (as a cheque), it will deduct $50CAD at the exchange rate of that day. Maybe the exchange rate won't be the best I could do, but it's easier than paying for other methods of transfer or headaches.

9 times in 10, this works. Better yet, put CAD after the $50.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2016, 05:31:25 PM »

I'd make sure to note on the check (in the amount box, the written line, and the memo) that it's $50 CAD.

But yes, this should work.

avrex

• Bristles
Camp Mustache Canada - What a great idea!
« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »
I've been away from the forum for a bit.
However, once I logged back on, this thread immediately caught my eye.

@Prospector, you're doing a great job in organizing this.  Thank you.

I'll send you an email shortly, as I'm very interested in attending.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #343 on: November 23, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Avrex!! So awesome to see you!! I'll watch for that email!!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2016, 07:48:18 PM »
CRAP ON A CRACKER!

this is so ridiculous!
I don't know if I'm just wild and reckless, but I'm mailing cash. And prosp might accept us money? Many of our stores take it at assorted made up exchange rates.

You ARE wild and reckless. But you can trust me!

I was never clear on whether you weren't supposed to mail cash because the mailman would swipe it or because the receiver might. Or maybe both? Dunno.

In any case, I go check the mail on Friday. Late at night. Whoever has reached me by then gets added to my spreadsheet on Sunday when I am back at a PC. I'll let you know when you are on the list.

Also, I now need to set up some sort of a Christmas card judging contest, and I haven't even updated the Vendee Globe pool yet (those guys are nearly around cape horn now, 3 boats have dropped out, and the leader has a broken foil.) SESailor is winning the pool right now, and I'm in second.

At current exchange rates, $50 USD is about $67 CDN. If you just mail USD, I won't complain.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #345 on: November 23, 2016, 09:27:25 PM »
Another spot nabbed just now... we are down to 2 remaining bunks in the presale.

Our latest buyer also posts on the Canada Money Forum - he may be familiar with some of our tentative speakers from their posts over there. Exciting stuff.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #346 on: November 23, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »
CRAP ON A CRACKER!

this is so ridiculous!
I don't know if I'm just wild and reckless, but I'm mailing cash. And prosp might accept us money? Many of our stores take it at assorted made up exchange rates.

Are you all sure about the check thing? I've gotten US checks and I'm fairly sure they were taken as US value by the Canadian bank, with fees tacked on everywhere. Generally and sadly, I think either paypal or mailing cash might be the easiest / least fee option.

Otherwise, has anyone tried this outfit: http://www.xe.com/xemoneytransfer/ca/
I have no association or experience with that service, but have used their trade service to exchange currencies between my own bank accounts in different countries with good experience. This looks like similar service, but for sending money to different people..

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #347 on: November 23, 2016, 10:55:32 PM »
Does it depend on the bank? I went to a reunion in Canada with college friends, organized by a Canadian classmate. Because of the fees involved in money orders and other options, we all ended up sending her checks in US currency, which she deposited, no problem, no fees. She used the currency conversion difference to buy wine for the weekend.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #348 on: November 23, 2016, 11:08:59 PM »
When I've received American cheques in USD I've just deposited it and the bank converts it at their (crappy) rate to CAD. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #349 on: November 24, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »

Are you all sure about the check thing? I've gotten US checks and I'm fairly sure they were taken as US value by the Canadian bank, with fees tacked on everywhere.

When I've received American cheques in USD I've just deposited it and the bank converts it at their (crappy) rate to CAD.

You have to write CAD on it.

Otherwise, yes, it's treated as USD, and converted.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!