Author Topic: Camp Mustache Cabo  (Read 29655 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Camp Mustache Cabo
« on: October 29, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »
This is the public planning thread for Camp Mustache Cabo, likely end of January or early February 2018 (~3 mo away) (Winter 2018 one not happening, but potential future place).

With this short of notice, we figure many people will not be able to attend (get time off, or whatever), so we're thinking of shooting for around 25 people, but if we have interest for more, we'll happily do more.

Post if you are interested and actually have a chance of attending and would like to follow for more information!  :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:16:36 PM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Cabo - Jan/Feb 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
I understand what a Camp Mustache is, but what does "Cabo" mean?   

And what part of the country will it be in?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
I can fit this into my work schedule.

SwordGuy: Cabo San Lucas, in Mexico.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
Cabo = Los Cabos, an area at the southern tip of Baja, Mexico consisting of two separate cities, San Jose del Cabo (this is the airport you'd fly into, SJD), and Cabo San Lucas.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
We're interested in more details. Like Cabo and would like an excuse to return.

What do you have in mind for a venue?

If you are flying from the US, Southwest Airlines flies to Cabo, if you have companion pass it's an attractive option for almost two for one travel.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »
This is relevant to my interests.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
I'm interested.

I've often thought about the Baja region as a possible FIRE destination.  Would love to check it out.
... and hang out with cool MMM people.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
This totally belongs under the 'Has the Community Gone Soft' thread :)  But this sounds much better to me than Camp Mustache Frozen North, following.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »

If you are flying from the US, Southwest Airlines flies to Cabo, if you have companion pass it's an attractive option for almost two for one travel.

Companion pass is one big benefit!

This totally belongs under the 'Has the Community Gone Soft' thread :)  But this sounds much better to me than Camp Mustache Frozen North, following.

Haha, totally!  Would be awesome to have you, I was bummed to see you mentioned being at FinCon but you didn't PM me to track me down. :)

Glad to see some interest already.

Re: venue, undetermined as of yet. There is someone working on it, but if anyone else suddenly feels compelled to do research on that, it'd be very appreciated!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »
I may be able to go if it is January.  Already committed to Key West (poor me!) for the first half of Feb. 

I never said I was going to finish out my working career by actually working.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
Posting To Follow
I might have some free travel rewards that would make this Mustachian approved.
Either that or I make it an epic drive down

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 07:30:06 PM »
PTF. No idea if timing would work out for me.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »
Hmmm....next semester, I will only be teaching Tues, Weds, Thurs...

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 09:03:16 PM »
Cabo sounds lovely...

Posting just in case the stars align and it's feasible.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 07:11:27 AM »
This totally belongs under the 'Has the Community Gone Soft' thread :)

Depends on a lot of factors- this could be a frugal trip, and it lets you combine with a vacation making it multi-purpose.
It is often cheaper for me to fly to Mexico than it is other places in the United States, and while I don't know Cabo, I know that the hotel I stay at in Cozumel is about $30 a day and food is CHEAP.

I'd rather go to Canada than Cabo though; of course, with baby, I'm not going to either.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »
Posting to follow, as I had toyed with the idea of doing a Camp event in Ehrenberg/Quartzsite in late January, after the RTR, but have not had the time to look into it further.
I don't think we'll have TDA's new passport by then, so not sure if leaving the US is viable, but would like to stay posted, just in case.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
Dammit, Spy- So hot on the heels of CMC? And yet... you have me on Google Flights researching my options.

Here's a question- Why the hell is it cheaper (round trip) for me to get to Cabo, Mexico, than it is to fly to Baltimore, MD? What the hell, man...

At least make the price so high that I'm not sorely tempted, you devilish fellow.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
Thanks for the interest everyone. This sounds like it may be viable!

Posting to follow, as I had toyed with the idea of doing a Camp event in Ehrenberg/Quartzsite in late January, after the RTR, but have not had the time to look into it further.
I don't think we'll have TDA's new passport by then, so not sure if leaving the US is viable, but would like to stay posted, just in case.

That's an awesome location for me personally (to drive to), but the fly in options for Mustachians aren't ideal.

Dammit, Spy- So hot on the heels of CMC? And yet... you have me on Google Flights researching my options.

Here's a question- Why the hell is it cheaper (round trip) for me to get to Cabo, Mexico, than it is to fly to Baltimore, MD? What the hell, man...

At least make the price so high that I'm not sorely tempted, you devilish fellow.

Hah! Would be awesome to have you!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 06:15:46 PM »
Re: venue, undetermined as of yet. There is someone working on it, but if anyone else suddenly feels compelled to do research on that, it'd be very appreciated!

I asked about venue because we have our eye on a specific resort we have points at and want to use, but I imagine you are looking for something camp like?
I suppose if we did end up coming, we would have to force ourselves to spend a few more days before or after at the resort...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
I suppose if we did end up coming, we would have to force ourselves to spend a few more days before or after at the resort...

I would not be surprised if this was the case for most people. :)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
I would like to try and look into how realistic a drive there is
@RetireCanada and @JonSnow have done trips to the Baja lots so will best know

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
PTF but it's a long shot for me to make it

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Around how many days would it be, and would it potentially include a weekend?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
Around how many days would it be, and would it potentially include a weekend?

Likely 4 days, 3 nights, over a weekend.

jordanread

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »
So I just realized that Camp Mustache Cabo is in baja. I'm in.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
Yes.  I am coming.  Try to keep me away.   I am going to the Choose FI Camp in FL 1/8-11, or something like that, but any other weekend.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »
Cool! I live in Todos Santos, which is an hour north of Cabo! Definitely interested.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »
In fact, Todos Santos is way cooler than Cabo if you want to look into having it there. :D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »
In fact, Todos Santos is way cooler than Cabo if you want to look into having it there. :D

I like it. Do you have a location we can host 25-50 people at, and have food provided (or some method of catering)? :)

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »

I like it. Do you have a location we can host 25-50 people at, and have food provided (or some method of catering)? :)

Is it necessary that they all sleep at said location? Or can they sleep in separate airbnbs/hotels throughout town and get together at said location for meals?

jordanread

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »

Is it necessary that they all sleep at said location? Or can they sleep in separate airbnbs/hotels throughout town and get together at said location for meals?

From my (admittedly) limited experience with Camp Mustaches, it's an all inclusive weekend, where each is part of a whole. We have keynotes, breakout sessions, and plenty of socializing, but the limited structure coupled with the close proximity is what really makes it awesome.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
The ideal is all one location.

It's the spontaneous conversations that happen as people wander around in close proximity that are the best part of the weekend.

If all the rooms are in close proximity (say, an apartment building with central gathering area(s)), that works.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
Perhaps a resort in Cabo would be better then. Certainly easier to organize instead of talking to a bunch of different boutique hotel owners. Things in Todos Santos are all kind of small, diyish, no big companies, etc.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 05:31:15 PM »
Ok, well I just put some feelers out, to see what people come up with. Also, I just realized you're talking this Jan Feb and things in Todos Santos do fill up pretty fast.

Let's pursue both Cabo and TS options, and maybe TS will end up being for 2019.

Also, what is the cost of such an event/person? Sounds very expensive.

jordanread

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 05:36:28 PM »
Ok, well I just put some feelers out, to see what people come up with. Also, I just realized you're talking this Jan Feb and things in Todos Santos do fill up pretty fast.

Let's pursue both Cabo and TS options, and maybe TS will end up being for 2019.

We've got rough estimates, but since it's a Camp Mustache, the price per ticket is based strictly on the cost. ARS floated around $425(USD)/person, which is right around the cost for the original. The lower we can get, the lower the prices we offer.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »

The cheapest all-inclusive resort I've found in Cabo is ~$150 USD/person/night. Includes lodging, food, and beverages (alcoholic and non).

That is about the same as the more rustic CM Seattle.  Ideally we'd do cheaper because Mexico, but if we have to do the same price, but more fancypants, that is probably acceptable.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
The cheapest all-inclusive resort I've found in Cabo is ~$150 USD/person/night. Includes lodging, food, and beverages (alcoholic and non).

Since you mentioned all inclusive, I remembered we stayed at a Hyatt Ziva eslewhere in Mexico, really enjoyed it, and noticed they had a kids room where you could leave kids as you went off (living the dream), they have one in Cabo too it seems. Though you can only leave them alone if they are four and over :( I wonder if labor is cheap enough you can get someone to watch the kids easier. We went to a work retreat that did that and it was awesome. End kid free fantasy

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 02:39:59 AM »
http://ranchopescadero.com/ these guys could do it...though they are a bit out of town (20 min. or so)

http://pachamamamexico.com/yoga-retreats-3/
I like this one, because it's close to my house and I like the area better.

http://hotelcasatota.com/ this one is right downtown so it would be fun to stroll around.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
Depending on the weekend, Mrs Axe and I are in. We're committed 1/12 - 1/14.

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »
I'm definitely interested! The flight to cabo from Tucson is short and my schedule is wide open!

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
Have we confirmed the theoretical time window? I'm hashing out the total vacation to include CMCabo and I'm just trying to make sure I've got something to tell the rest of the travellers :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »
Planning paused for a minute on this due to looping in some original CM founders, who are excited to help plan more CMs, but more people = more logistics. A phone call is scheduled, but pending. :)

It seems very likely though, and weekend is still flexible. What works for you?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »
It seems very likely though, and weekend is still flexible. What works for you?

I know you weren't asking me, but my vote is for some days that include Saturday January 27.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 05:29:58 AM »
A poll with date input is a good idea. It's slightly premature for that, but I also recognize we're getting close and most people don't plan as last minute as me. 

Other CMs this year will have much more advance notice as the process is smoothed.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »
Any update on this, or ways we can help?

(though my spring/winter is booking up with random dates now :( )

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
I would be interested if the date ends up being in February...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 12:45:31 AM »
Tentative interest. I have points I need to sepnd, but cautious about the $150USD per person.. (That's nearly $200 CDN per day plus travel, ouch!)

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2017, 01:37:37 AM »
Have you ever looked into cruises for such events? They are an amazing way to travel on the cheap if you find a bargain. I am looking at early February (over the 7th) because I like to travel somewhere new for my birthday each year. I have found cruises in the $50-60/day range, and on practically new boats that are so nice, it would blow some people away! Price per day includes unlimited food, activities, and non-alcoholic beverages! Sure you have to add on tips, taxes, and port fees, but  well under a $100/day per person is achievable, and it's all inclusive! I'm not sure how it works, but chartering a cruise (in part or whole) will likely make things even cheaper! I'm happy to help out with shopping around if you would seriously consider this as an option.

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 01:48:04 AM »
I'm clearly up too late. I thought this was a different thread. Personally, I might pass on Cabo myself as I have done it a few times already. I will gladly spearhead cruise shopping for other locales though. :)

Off the top of my head, I know there is a 7 day cruise out of Los Angeles in February  that stops in Mazatlan, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta for under $70/day per person, all inclusive. I'll bet if you seriously shop it, you can find  even cheaper than that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
Interesting. The environmental cost is pretty terrible, unfortunately, but if it's replacing other vacations, it might not be TOO bad? I'd be curious to see numbers on that aspect of it.

I wonder what is involved in renting meeting rooms on cruise ships (cost, availability, etc.).