Author Topic: Work for Aussie company - permanently reside in New Zealand  (Read 3180 times)

gcam032

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Work for Aussie company - permanently reside in New Zealand
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice or experience in this matter.

I'm investigating the possibility of working for an Australian registered company but residing permanently in New Zealand.  The Aussie company doesn't currently have a NZ registered entity - so I'm looking at the options for working directly for the Australian company without them having to go through that registration/management process.  I'd be the only employee in NZ so it would be a hard sell for me to ask them to go through that process.

I understand that I wouldn't qualify for any of the 'time based' dispensations given that my residency would be permanent.  I'm a NZ Citizen btw.

So a couple of specific questions:
 - Is it feasible for an Australian company to permanently employ an individual who resides in NZ?
 - Does the Australian company have to do anything specific (e.g. pay tax in NZ, register for NZ PAYE, etc...)?
 - How (in practice) does the Double Tax Agreement work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GC

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Work for Aussie company - permanently reside in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »
The Australian Company would operate as a NZ branch if it doesn't have a registered company / entity structure.

You will need specific tax advice for this one, unlikely there would be many on this forum who could give you the details.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!