Author Topic: The Australian Credit Card/Bank Acct Sign Up Bonuses/Offers/Deals Thread  (Read 33798 times)

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
Seen a tidy sign up bonus or incentive advertised recently? Share the love with your fellow MMMers below.

I'll start with a few I noticed today:

Commonwealth Bank $300 cashback on Low Rate Mastercard
After the $59 annual fee, that's $240 for you.
https://tinyurl.com/mycs6js

Coles No Fee Mastercard - $100 off a single Coles supermarket shop.
Which is pretty much $100 cash for most of us. We all gotta eat!
https://tinyurl.com/yakdu2cg

ANZ Black Rewards - 75,000 bonus rewards points
Looks like this equates to roughly $350 worth of gift cards. Usually hefty annual fee is waived in the first year but you need to be earning $75k pa plus to qualify (not this little community sector mustachian).
https://tinyurl.com/h84uamo

Woolworths - $100 e-gift card
Annual fee waived in first year. Not fully sure what the conditions are on the e card but it's probably better than a punch in the face.
https://cards.woolworths.com.au/credit-cards.html

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The Australian Credit Card/Bank Acct Sign Up Bonuses/Offers/Deals Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
Nice one! I admit i really only look from a points redemption angle, so skip over if you're not interested in flying / travel!

The Virgin Australia card comes with a $129 voucher offsetting the $129 annual fee and you can earn a bonus 60,000 points. (I currently have the high flyer on a bigger point offer, but the voucher only partly offsets the fees)

https://virginmoney.com.au/credit-card/compare-our-credit-cards

The QFF premier credit card gets 75,000 bonus points for $149, probably one of the best paid offers around if you've exhausted the freebies & AMEX offers!

https://www.qantasmoney.com/credit-cards

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »
Can I share a referral bonus?

Will delete if not allowed

Free $100 for you and me if you sign up for an ING bank account using referral code CIY527

- when opening a new orange every day account and depositing at least $1000 per calendar month within any month before 28/02/2018
- And opening a savings maximiser account by 28/02/2018
- And using their card to make 5 or more purchases

As an added bonus no international transaction fees when using the card overseas and no ATM fees worldwide

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »
PTF.

In the past Ratesetter have done referral bonuses where you both get $$ when your friend signs up and invests. The last one was $75 so better than a kick in the teeth. There aren't any offers right now though.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 04:27:14 AM »
PTF

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
Ok, this is a bit left field, but wasn't sure where else to share!

You may be aware of Airtasker - the site where people post odd jobs that others pick up for a bit of side hustle cash? Well Coles have now partnered with them. Now you can do people's Coles shopping for them (once you've met certain requirements, being completing two prior tasks successfully).

I looked up how it works - someone posts their shopping list, you go buy it, upload an image of the receipt, enter the amount and then they pay you the bill via Airtasker. You get paid whatever they offered to do the task on top of that. So you can extra collect credit card points and flybuys points by doing someone else's shopping and get paid $20 bucks or similar.

I don't know whether there will be instances of taskers getting ripped off (never receiving the shopping bill money) but I don't think it would be possible because the person posting the task must enter credit card details.

There's not a massive amount of money to be earned but I love supermarket shopping and I'm only 2km away so I'm quite keen! I'd collect Velocity or Qantas points as well as flybuys, and with all the flybuys bonuses I could pay for some of my own goods.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:36:49 AM »
Thanks chasingthegoodlife, I've been slack lately so just saw your list and applied for Commonwealth one.

Probably will do Coles one as well.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 04:38:29 AM »
Ok, this is a bit left field, but wasn't sure where else to share!

You may be aware of Airtasker - the site where people post odd jobs that others pick up for a bit of side hustle cash? Well Coles have now partnered with them. Now you can do people's Coles shopping for them (once you've met certain requirements, being completing two prior tasks successfully).

I looked up how it works - someone posts their shopping list, you go buy it, upload an image of the receipt, enter the amount and then they pay you the bill via Airtasker. You get paid whatever they offered to do the task on top of that. So you can extra collect credit card points and flybuys points by doing someone else's shopping and get paid $20 bucks or similar.

How does the food get to the person who has ordered it from you? Obviously you need to engage someone nearby, otherwise items like ice-cream will melt or meat and fish will go bad etc...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
You take it to them, Marty. You do their shopping and take it to them. You'd shop at their nearest Coles.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
You take it to them, Marty. You do their shopping and take it to them. You'd shop at their nearest Coles.

Ahh I was thinking Coles delivery service.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
I don't know why people would use Airtasker instead of Coles delivery. One person on here had trouble with poor quality items and damage using Coles delivery so maybe that's common.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 02:58:21 AM »
FB, I wonder if it is either a) delivery windows for Coles Delivery not suiting or b) outside their range. My nearest Coles is in the next down over and I don't think they deliver here but I drive past daily for work and I can see how it would make sense for other locals (such as pensioners who don't like to drive much) to pay someone like me to do their shop.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
I signed up for the ANZ Black Rewards card about two years ago and got the bonus 75000 QFF, then cancelled it before the fee was due about a year ago. I'm looking around for a new card and I see this offer is available again (or still?). Has anyone had one of these cards, cancelled and then applied for it again? I don't want to apply if it will be rejected because I previously had one, and then get a black mark on my rating.

Yes! Hubby has done exactly that.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 07:38:24 PM »
My ANZ FF Black has hit its first statement and doing well. Due to some big bills coming up after 1 Jan, I'm only a few hundred off getting my bonus 75,000 points. The first points went through instantly to Qantas on the closing day of the statement! Very efficient. I expect that the 75k points will probably go through as soon as I hit the $2.5k mark.

ANZ staff in branches have been super helpful. I just set up Direct Debit from my CBA, as I'm about five minutes walk to a central branch, I just did it there. Easy peasy. Ask them pernickity questions while I'm there. Great!

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:53 AM »
I was a credit card churner until I moved to Europe a few months ago. I'm having my mail redirected to a friend's house and can show overseas income. Has anybody had any luck with getting approved for credit cards without having salary go into an Australian account? I wanted to get the NAB card but was told that they can't approve it without Australian income. The credit card points offers here are next to nonexistent, and it would be awesome if I could keep churning from here!

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 03:55:40 AM »
I signed up for the ANZ Black Rewards card about two years ago and got the bonus 75000 QFF, then cancelled it before the fee was due about a year ago. I'm looking around for a new card and I see this offer is available again (or still?). Has anyone had one of these cards, cancelled and then applied for it again? I don't want to apply if it will be rejected because I previously had one, and then get a black mark on my rating.

Absolutely, but you have to wait 12 months before you reapply.

Shaz_Au

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »
Ratesetter $100 bonus

StrongMoneyAustralia has secured the following deal with Ratesetter:

"RateSetter have offered my readers a $100 bonus when they signup and invest $1000 in the 1 year market (or longer)."

You need to sign up via the link on his website: https://www.strongmoneyaustralia.com/

Don't forget to check out the rest of his blog while you are there.

mrcheese

• Stubble
Here is my personal $75 Ratesetter Bonus link (not a blog):

https://www.ratesetter.com.au/lnk/xwpr9yp

has anyone got a good credit card referral code? I like the ones with velocity points - haven't had to pay for a flight to see my folks for a couple of years now.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache

has anyone got a good credit card referral code? I like the ones with velocity points - haven't had to pay for a flight to see my folks for a couple of years now.

I got a referral code too but I can't think of a single IRL friend to offer it to which is a bit sad, eh?

mrcheese

• Stubble

I got a referral code too but I can't think of a single IRL friend to offer it to which is a bit sad, eh?

I hear ya. I tried to offer it around IRL last time but the very idea of having some spare cash lying around to even contemplate investing was just too weird for most people I know...

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Have you got an AMEX? Or held one in the last 18 months? If not, the Explorer is great- this referral code will get you 100,000 MR points which can be transferred as 75,000 velocity points or (better yet, depending on where you want to go) 75,000 Krisflyer (Singapore airlines) points. I get 30,000 points if you use the link. Cost is $395, but the card comes with a $400 travel credit- easy to use and worth a real $400, not some inflated credit which is really only worth half that.

http://amex.com.au/refer/chrisctbkz?CPID=100199911

Down side- we have used our points to get to Europe to visit family, but are currently trapped in the big freeze!

Feel free to PM me with any questions- I churned 8 credit cards last year so have experience with most of them!!

mrcheese

• Stubble
Have you got an AMEX? Or held one in the last 18 months?
I am counting down until it has been 18 months since I cancelled the last one (which I got via a referral code from another forum user) so thanks for the new link, I'll check it out.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Have you got an AMEX? Or held one in the last 18 months?
I am counting down until it has been 18 months since I cancelled the last one (which I got via a referral code from another forum user) so thanks for the new link, I'll check it out.

Yup. The 18 months is paaaaainful!

chouchouu

• Bristles
Ing is offering 1% rebate on one of their credit cards but only to a maximum of $30 per month. The annual fee is $149.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
PTF. And hopefully contribute!

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Many thanks to the person who used my referral link - enjoy your points!

cakie

• Stubble
Useful thread, good idea. I haven't done any research in a while.

Have 1 card currently, no fees,  good travel insurance (Westpac) but i should prob try to replenish my qantas points. They are particularly useful for me compared to other reward programs. Anyone have a recommendation?

PS Awesome handle Phryne! I actually found the ERE website back in the day because I was trying to find out how much I would need to be financially independent like her...  :P

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Have 1 card currently, no fees,  good travel insurance (Westpac) but i should prob try to replenish my qantas points. They are particularly useful for me compared to other reward programs. Anyone have a recommendation?

PS Awesome handle Phryne! I actually found the ERE website back in the day because I was trying to find out how much I would need to be financially independent like her...  :P

Ha! I love those books! The TV series was good, but the books better.

QFF point-wise, check out the ANZ QFF black: 75,000 points & $0 for the first year. The Qantas Premier used to be good, but they’ve raised the points slightly - 2x 40,000 -  but jacked up the annual fee to $300 (and it’s offered by Citibank, which is risky customer service wise!)
I never use credit card travel insurance, (I always buy a policy cause I flip cards so often) so can’t help there sorry.

Lastly, am always interested to discuss the benefits of different FF programs. I use both, but find QFF far more expensive & difficult to use.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles

I did the ANZ Black card and got the 75,000 points, but they would not budge on the annual fee at renewal time, so I cancelled. That was around two years ago so I could re-apply, but I have FIREd now and with no income I don't think I'd meet the criteria!

I am currently using Qantas Cash. This is the MasterCard that is printed on the back of your Frequent Flyer card. The idea is to load it up with overseas currencies, but I just put $A on it and use it as a normal credit card. This is a debit card which may or may not work for you in that you have to be organised and make sure the cash is loaded on the card before you use it. There are no annual fees. You get one QFF point for every $4 spent which is not great but better than nothing.

You can also double-up by using this card at Woolies and converting their rewards points to QFF (although I prefer the cash back).

I think the ANZ Black requires an annual income of 70-80k, from memory. I qualified to get it in December, but I'm out of contract now. I aim to get something else in December with no annual fee and delete the ANZ black. The 75,000 pts and 1pt/$ is pretty good!

My income will likely be lower when I do in December. Hopefully I can find something that still has some bonus points and at least 1pt/$2.

I use my woolworths card for QFF points. I just did the "buy something at each of Woolworths, BWS, Woolworths Petrol" thing. I did a normal (Moustachian!) shop at Woolies, bought a $1.25 snack at BWS, and put 5L in my car. Bingo, 3000 points! Which equates to about 1300 qantas points. The only thing I wouldn't have bought was the 1.25 snack from BWS, so that 1300 QFF cost 1.25. Given that 70,000 points gets me return to Tokyo (~$700) that's a great deal.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I did the ANZ Black card and got the 75,000 points, but they would not budge on the annual fee at renewal time, so I cancelled. That was around two years ago so I could re-apply, but I have FIREd now and with no income I don't think I'd meet the criteria!

I am currently using Qantas Cash. This is the MasterCard that is printed on the back of your Frequent Flyer card. The idea is to load it up with overseas currencies, but I just put $A on it and use it as a normal credit card. This is a debit card which may or may not work for you in that you have to be organised and make sure the cash is loaded on the card before you use it. There are no annual fees. You get one QFF point for every $4 spent which is not great but better than nothing.

You can also double-up by using this card at Woolies and converting their rewards points to QFF (although I prefer the cash back).

I see the challenge in churning credit cards the only detriment to ER!

In addition to our $$ stache, I also intend finishing work with FF trips booked for the next 11 months & a points balance of around 1 million (risky, I know, because you never know when a devaluation is coming!)

Eucalyptus

• Bristles

In addition to our $$ stache, I also intend finishing work with FF trips booked for the next 11 months & a points balance of around 1 million (risky, I know, because you never know when a devaluation is coming!)

I'm also hoping for a decent FF points stash by the time I retire. Enough for a few long haul trips or more.
I wish they acrued interest or grew!
I mean, yeah they can be devalued, but, they seem to mostly only lose their value with indexation ;-p So not under pressure from the same financial shock events as the rest of our stashes, hopefully :-) :-) :-)

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I'm also hoping for a decent FF points stash by the time I retire. Enough for a few long haul trips or more.
I wish they acrued interest or grew!
I mean, yeah they can be devalued, but, they seem to mostly only lose their value with indexation ;-p So not under pressure from the same financial shock events as the rest of our stashes, hopefully :-) :-) :-)

Ha! And compulsory saving when reward availability is rubbish!!

kiwiozearlyretirement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Have you got an AMEX? Or held one in the last 18 months? If not, the Explorer is great- this referral code will get you 100,000 MR points which can be transferred as 75,000 velocity points or (better yet, depending on where you want to go) 75,000 Krisflyer (Singapore airlines) points. I get 30,000 points if you use the link. Cost is $395, but the card comes with a $400 travel credit- easy to use and worth a real $400, not some inflated credit which is really only worth half that.

Down side- we have used our points to get to Europe to visit family, but are currently trapped in the big freeze!

Feel free to PM me with any questions- I churned 8 credit cards last year so have experience with most of them!!

I checked out the referral code and it is only giving you 60000 MR points now. Am I doing something wrong?

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I checked out the referral code and it is only giving you 60000 MR points now. Am I doing something wrong?

No you’re not- the earlier promo appears to have finished & it’s dropped to 50,000 points for the regular offer & 60,000 with the referral :-(

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
bonjour everyone
checking for my next cc and will most likely turn to the $0 annual fee with amex

any offers catching your eyes recently for velocity points?

potm

• Pencil Stache
bonjour everyone
checking for my next cc and will most likely turn to the $0 annual fee with amex

any offers catching your eyes recently for velocity points?

If you have not had an amex in the last 18 months I wouldn't sign up for the $0 annual fee ones. You're much better off waiting for a 100k point bonus. They are only offering 50k at the moment but the Amex Velocity card will often offer 100k Velocity points.

Grogounet

• Bristles
thanks
all bonus points come usually with an annual premium unfortuntely
i have taken the amex until i found a good offer

potm

• Pencil Stache
If you've already applied for a no fee amex then you won't be eligible for the bonus points offers anymore on opening other amex cards.
This is direct issue amex cards, not bank ones.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
thanks
all bonus points come usually with an annual premium unfortuntely
i have taken the amex until i found a good offer

ANZ are good for no annual fee in the first year - they have different cards which support either velocity or qantas points.
And if you travel, Virgin Money has a first year annual fee that’s about half of the $129 Virgin Australia voucher that comes with the card.

Grogounet

• Bristles
Indeed, these are good, I have taken both of them earlier this year !
But, now have to wait another 12 months until I can do this again.. :)))

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Indeed, these are good, I have taken both of them earlier this year !
But, now have to wait another 12 months until I can do this again.. :)))

Noooo......there’s no waiting period for the virgin money card! I’ve had it 3 times now and each time there was less than a month between cancellation & reapplying. I did jump from the flyer to the high flyer (that minimum spend was stressful, PM me if you need some help;-)) and am now back to the flyer.

Grogounet

• Bristles
this is G.O.L.D. ! Thanks and will make contact

Grogounet

• Bristles
Woolworths Everyday Platinum Credit Card
$50 Woolworths eGiftcard
Earn up to 3 Woolworths Points per $1 spent
$0 annual fee (for the first year)
https://cards.woolworths.com.au/offers/mozo.html?irgwc=1&cvosrc=affiliate.impactradius.464502&cvo_campaign=

ING Orange Everyday
ING
$75 cash back
No account fees or international transaction fees
No ATM fees in Australia or overseas
https://campaigns.ing.com.au/75BonusOffer?code=MY75&cid=aff:4163292:217756113:96182909:AUINGDOE2018:AMsySZYUSYIv5Jx4hfcad4e6HTRL

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
Both of those look quite interesting!
The woolworths points convert to qantas...2000WW gets you 870QFF. So a bit better than $1 per point for a free card plus the giftcard is good if your income is low.

The ING looks quite interesting with the international lack of fees... though the conditions are a bit annoying mainly with the 5 purchases per month, mainly as it precludes using CC for points. Though I suppose one could just put through a few individual transactions at the supermarket in self checkout with cheap items (one carrot per transaction?). Haha.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to get a balance transfer card, to transfer the balance from another balance transfer credit card?

Ie say:
Have ANZ CC with $5k.

Decide to postpone it 12 months. Get
Bank XYZ Balance Transfer card with 0% 12 months off (no fees).

Then get
Bank ABC Balance Transfer card with 0% 24 months (1% fee on balance transfer)

? Does this work?

potm

• Pencil Stache
Yes, a balance transfer is simply the new card bpaying the old card that you specify.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
So I got the ANZ Black a while back with the bonus points and am looking into cashing out my rewards points. From what I have read here and elsewhere in the past it can be more valuable to cash these out as flights. However playing around with the site now it seems to be pretty much the same as getting gift cards (Coles cards are pretty much the same as cash for us).

I am looking at domestic flights, using the search tool on the ANZ rewards site.

Any tips? Is the discount more for international flights?

Grogounet

• Bristles
imo it s more important for you to cash all these points according to what you were planning to spend on.
the minute you spend on something you didn t plan it s not worth. unless for the anz which is 100% free and other rare, you still have to spend a few bucks to get the card.

a good link for flights: pointhacks.com with full tutorial

potm

• Pencil Stache
Using points for flights is not really worth it for economy flights, especially with Qantas points, where the taxes cost a significant chunk of a cash fare.
The exception is in peak periods or on routes with little competition and high prices.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 02:32:24 AM by potm »

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
Thank you both. I will take the gift cards this time without worrying I am leaving money on the table