Author Topic: Wrote-off my work truck, and need something new. Advice needed please :)  (Read 7302 times)

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
So, I rolled my work truck over last night (a US 2006 Toyota Tundra crew cab TRD 4x4), and the tow driver who pulled it out of the ditch says that it is likely a write-off, since the front axel seems to be bent, and the roof is all caved in.

I was out for dinner with a co-worker, and we both walked away.  Thank goodness for side impact airbags :) 
We were assessed by an ambulance and cleared, as we were only going about 60km/h when we rolled, but likely a little slower actually since I was in the process of slowing down when we started to slide, and caught the shoulder and tipped into the ditch.

It is a long weekend here, so I won't hear from the insurance adjuster until tomorrow, but because I was out of province, it will likely be a week or so until they get out to look at it.  The tow truck driver figured they'd give me $15-16,000 for it, based on the additional things on it, like new tires, a roll tarp, and after market running boards.  Based on my own search of the autotrader listings, I figure something more like $12-13,000 but I won't know for sure for a bit.

Anyhow, my requirements for a work vehicle (as determined by my clients', and my need to haul things around, and where I have to drive for work) are as follows:
-4x4
-higher ground clearance, as most of my work driving is off-road
-cargo space for 8 full-size rubbermaid tubs
-tow hooks under the front for when I get stuck in the spring and summer mud, and have to get towed out
-full impact airbags, including side curtains and front ones
-Based on the fact that we are planning on havings kids in a few years, I want something with a back seat, so we can put carseats in it as well.

Things that I have become accustomed to, since I drive A LOT:
-Comfortable seats, as I sometimes drive 10 hours in a day, when the weather is bad
-Buttons on the steering wheel, for adjusting the radio volume
-A power rear roll-down back window on my truck, so I don't need to use the AC in the summer, and I don't need to have the wind whistling through like a tunnel, on the highway.

I am half toying with the idea of just buying the exact same truck again, (hopefully in blue), as there seem to be a few of them out there, but I'm not sure if that is the best idea.

My Dad works for Toyota, so ideally, I'd like to stay with some sort of Toyota, because I get the parts at dealership cost, and he repairs things for baked goods. 

I won't be replacing it right away either, so I have the time to wait for the right one to come along.  As of the end of this month, I am off work for likely 6 months, for a hand surgery. 

The way I see it, my obvious options are:
-Rav-4
-4Runner
-Another 2006 Tundra
-Tacoma
-FJ Cruiser

I don't want to spend too much more than the insurance gives me for mine, but depending on that number, I would be willing to top it up to around $15,000, because it is a business write-off, and I don't want to drive around a total piece of garbage.

What do you guys think?  What would you buy?  I kinda don't see a reason to mess with a good thing, and buy a different vehicle, but maybe I'm paying for more (gas-milage wise, and size-wise) than I need to.  In a few years, I'd also like to be able to put a few car seats in the back, so that is a bit of a consideration as well.  I hate having to park it when I'm at home in the city as well, so I wouldn't mind something a little shorter, but we'd likely miss the utility of having a truck around.  However, it isn't something we make that much use of usually, seeing as we haven't got anymore home renos coming up in the next few years.

I'm willing to think about something other than a Toyota as well though, if it is a good value, and is reliable and sturdy.  I work on the rigs, and off-roading is a requirement, to get to almost all of our locations.  I've been on locations covered in a few feet of snow, and in the summer, a foot of water/mud.

Thanks for your time and thoughts on this :)

c

• Bristles
Re: Wrote-off my work truck, and need something new. Advice needed please :)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »
I have no advice about the other stuff, but I'm glad you are ok. It sounds like a frightening experience.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
Thanks.  I had trouble sleeping last night because of my nerves, and I'm a little out of sorts today.  I'm also starting to get a bit stiff, which is totally normal for an accident like this.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »
Glad you're OK!

Do you get gas compensated as part of your work arrangement?  Is there a compelling need for,say, a bunch of towing capacity that the Tundra provides that smaller trucks/SUVs would not? 

If not, I would go for the smallest truck that offers the rest of your list features; the trucks are generally cheaper than the SUVs, and it doesn't sound like you need 3 rows of seats for anything.  The Tacoma would save you some fuel mileage and keep you in the "repair it for baked goods" Toyota category.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
I get paid a minimum mileage allowance of 100km/day at $1-1.20/km, so yes, I do get gas and everything else paid for.

We owned a 2007 Tacoma last year before we sold it (belonged to my husband, and we never should have bought it) and it actually didn't have enough ground clearance for my liking, as I would bottom out on the low spots.  The used Tacomas seem to also reliably sell for higher than the same year Tundras do.

Someone at work suggested that I should look at a 2009 F150, as it will have eco boost for better gas milage, and they seem to go for around the $15,000 mark, since there are so many of them for sale.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:14 AM »
Another plus for buying the exact model again, is that I have a set of good mud tires at home, on mag wheels.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »
Honest, I would buy the same thing again if you are happy with it. I don't think there are many vehicles you can fit 8 tubs in and still have ground clearance. MAYBE a Subaru of some kind but I doubt it.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »

The way I see it, my obvious options are:
-Rav-4
-4Runner
-Another 2006 Tundra
-Tacoma
-FJ Cruiser

This list is quite varied and really are not comparable - I would think that the smaller ones (rav4 and FJ) would not work due to cargo room and clearance.

The used Tacomas seem to also reliably sell for higher than the same year Tundras do.

Someone at work suggested that I should look at a 2009 F150, as it will have eco boost for better gas milage, and they seem to go for around the $15,000 mark, since there are so many of them for sale.

These go hand in hand as the tundra competes directly with the F150, the Tundra also did not retain values because it was a more costly option when compared to the domestics and generally received inferior product (fewer options, crappier gas mileage, less power, etc.).  And Toyota has had its share of quality issues in the recent past so it is even hard to argue on that basis now. 

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »

This list is quite varied and really are not comparable - I would think that the smaller ones (rav4 and FJ) would not work due to cargo room and clearance.

These go hand in hand as the tundra competes directly with the F150, the Tundra also did not retain values because it was a more costly option when compared to the domestics and generally received inferior product (fewer options, crappier gas mileage, less power, etc.).  And Toyota has had its share of quality issues in the recent past so it is even hard to argue on that basis now.

The FJ should have the exact same ground clearance, as it is build on the same chassis as the Tundra.  I haven't gone to see an FJ in person though, to see what the cargo room is actually like.  I'd also argue that the quality of the older Tundras hasn't declined, but I will concede your point on the 2007-2010 ones. I agree though, the domestic trucks seem to have been getting better and better in the last few years.  I certainly wouldn't be sad, if I had heated seats either ;)

And I agree that the Rav4 ground clearance likely won't be sufficient, I just put it on the list because it was a smaller option than I had.

My Grandfather has only ever had Chevys for farm trucks, and he's had pretty good luck with them over the years.  He does a lot of field driving, but not nearly as much highway driving as I do.  I did test drive a few Chevys when I was first looking 3 years ago, and I did like the way they felt. 

Thanks for 'talking this out' with me :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:33:52 AM by Self-employed-swami »

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
I'm also just trying to make sure that I don't have my blinders on, and that I am making the best decision, not just the default decision.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that the tundra wasn't good quality - moreso it wasn't as good of a value given the what you get for the cost.  FJs look small to me and I would be surprised if they were based on the tundra chassis - I don't know one way or the other, it would just be surprising to me.

The best option is to figure out which one meets your needs and has the best fuel efficiency.

Also FWIW - I think the tundra and the chevy have the same bolt patter so your tires would still work.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
That's good to know about the bolt patterns.

I guess I need to do some test driving later, and see what I like.  Unfortunately, I think this might be a bit tougher to do, with used vehicles.  When I bought my Tundra in 2010, it was a default decision, based on the price I could get it for (I paid $15,500), and because my Dad owns the exact same one.

Thanks

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 07:14:54 AM »
I'm just going to bump this up, in hopes that some others might have suggestions for me.
:)

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »
Well, I tell you not to buy in the 2004-2008 models. My experiences are based off of O&G gravel road service work in West Central Alberta :)

F250 with the 5.4L engine in 4x4. I managed to destroy 2 of those over the course of 200,000 km in 3 years and I'm a gentle driver... Garbage trucks, and they will seem to go cheap used for a reason. Not too horrible on fuel though. Rough as heck on pavement, nice off road.

The 3/4 ton Chevy's are a bit better build overall, but meh on fuel and the suspension/mufflers doesn't last very long. Good engines, nice interiors.

Dodge: Hit and miss. Sometime go forever, others are pretty much bullet proof. Awful, beyond awful on fuel with the Hemi, but extremely fun to drive :) The diesels have pretty solid engines overall, but only available in the 2500/3500 configuration.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:54:30 AM by Sparky »

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 07:59:25 AM »
I forgot to mention, I don't want a diesel.  I'd rather not have to leave a truck running in -30 weather.  My Toyota always started, no matter the temperature, even if it wasn't plugged in.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:21:52 AM »
So I did a little test driving yesterday, and I'm pretty cemented in the wanting another Tundra camp.

The new Fords are nice, but I'm not spending $40,000+ on something I am going to just abuse, and the 2008-9 ones have terrible gas milage.  The Chevys are decent, but they are actually around the same price point used, as the Tundra.

Oh the Tundra...

I think I want heated seats.  I know that's a super luxury, but since I've got at least 3 or 4 months until I need to have a vehicle again, I have the ability to wait for the right vehicle at the right price to come along on auto trader.  I super hate the navigation system though.  You can't see the screen with the sun shining on it in the daylight, and there are no actual buttons for the radio, as the whole thing is touch screen.  I could also easily go without the back-up camera.  I'm seeing a large number of 2007 and 2008s on autotrader, so I will likely see the one I want at some point

Oh hedonistic adaptation...  I feel your noodley tentacles wrapping around me...

Am I totally out to lunch here?  Someone please slap me back to reality!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
Don't forget to check out what mods are available to make a car that's not quite what you want into a car that's perfect! For instance, if the Tacoma isn't quite enough clearance, can you put a lift kit/bigger tires on to raise it up a little? There are drawbacks to doing this, mainly higher rollover risk than a stock Tacoma, but ideally you'd compare the rollover risk of a modded Tacoma to a stock Tundra to decide. If you're more concerned about doing damage to the undercarriage than you are about bottoming out, consider a steel skidplate which won't affect the ride/handling/safety.

I highly recommend staying clear of frills on these vehicles. Car manufacturers make the most profit off SUVs and trucks, and within that category they make the most off upselling people on comfort options. This means you'll pay way more than they're actually worth. After a week of driving a car with no steering wheel controls or heated seats you won't miss them.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
I am concerned about getting high-centered, and about doing damage to the undercarriage, depending on the season.

I know the creature comforts are a temptation, but I spend so much time driving for work, that I'd like some of those comforts, mainly the heated seats.

When it comes to pull the trigger on paying for them though, I might change my mind.  My old truck never had them, so it isn't like I'm used to them.

Dirigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I would stick with another Tundra as opposed to Ford or Chevy models. They just seem to perform better and last longer (anecdotal opinion)

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
I just got a call from insurance, and they are valuing my truck at over $16,000 so with the deductible and tax taken off, I am getting a payout for $14,895, and I only paid $15,500 for it, over 2 years ago!!!

They couldn't start it to check the odometer, so they assumed much lower kms than I have on it!

I'm looking at a 1995 tercel tonight, so I might have my own wheels again soon!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
As an update, I'm in the process of buying another Tundra.  I found a 2005 Tundra Crew Cab TRD for $11,000.  It has 214,000km on it, but is in fantastic shape mechanically.  And it has a sun roof! 

I'm pretty happy with my choice, as I loved my old truck.

And my insurance settlement more than covers this one!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!