Author Topic: Writing Affidavit for friend's Marriage to Immigrant  (Read 12519 times)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Writing Affidavit for friend's Marriage to Immigrant
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
One of my good friends has recently married his girlfriend, who is from Mexico, since her work visa was about to expire.  Maybe they rushed this because of immigration status, whatever.  He did say he got an "air tight" prenup, so that's reassuring.  They seem very happy, so let's leave any judgement out of the discussion.  I'm happy for them, because they really do seem like a great match for each other.

He asked me to write an affidavit as evidence of his marriage.  I guess it's part of the green card process.  The instructions he received state the following:
"Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship.  (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner or beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage."

Well, I just found out that they got married 10 minutes ago.  I also don't even know how to go about writing an affidavit.  So, here are my questions:
 - Is there a form I need to use?
 - Is this just a personal statement signed?
 - Does it need to be notarized?
 - Am I required to have witnessed the ceremony or see the marriage certificate to be able to write an affidavit?

Any information would be helpful!  Thanks!

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
Re: Writing Affidavit for friend's Marriage to Immigrant
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
Here's a good writeup:

https://citizenpath.com/how-to-write-an-i-751-affidavit/

I remember getting friends to do this back when I was getting my wife's green card, but that was over 10 years ago.

canisius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »
When my wife applied for her Green Card, we included affavits (they're the weakest part of the application. Joint financial accounts are the best proof). They just need to include something about how long you've known each person, in what roles and how to the best of your ability it is a bona fide relationship and there is no evidence of financial or immigration fraud. We had our individuals sign it inf. Ront of a notary and teo copies. One goes in the application to USCIS and the second for his records (and he should bring those records to the interview).

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
One of my good friends has recently married his girlfriend, who is from Mexico, since her work visa was about to expire.  Maybe they rushed this because of immigration status, whatever.  He did say he got an "air tight" prenup, so that's reassuring.  They seem very happy, so let's leave any judgement out of the discussion.  I'm happy for them, because they really do seem like a great match for each other.

He asked me to write an affidavit as evidence of his marriage.  I guess it's part of the green card process.  The instructions he received state the following:
"Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship.  (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner or beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage."

Well, I just found out that they got married 10 minutes ago.  I also don't even know how to go about writing an affidavit.  So, here are my questions:
 - Is there a form I need to use?
 - Is this just a personal statement signed?
 - Does it need to be notarized?
 - Am I required to have witnessed the ceremony or see the marriage certificate to be able to write an affidavit?

Any information would be helpful!  Thanks!

No.

A simple letter of some sort where you write your name and details stating that their relationship is for real should be enough.

My wife did the same and I think the affidavit was written by her mother or something or a friend and it was really simple.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
Perfect!

Thanks for the quick responses.  I've already completed it.  You guys rock!