Author Topic: Would you walk 30 minutes in the winter to work?  (Read 24863 times)

Reigns2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Would you walk 30 minutes in the winter to work?
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
I live pretty close to work (~4 minutes drive). Walking takes 25-30 minutes.

It could get quite cold here in Canada in the winter. Would you take the car or walk?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Would you walk 30 minutes in the winter to work?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
I’m in CA so I’m pretty sure I don’t even know what “cold” means. Doesn’t it all come down to wearing the right clothing though? If you have the right gear and aren’t risking your life being outdoors, a walk sounds nice to me.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
I am in Florida so I can't relate, but I'd much rather walk 30 minutes in cold weather than in hot and humid weather and arrive at work all sweaty. The walk sounds lovely to me!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:59 PM »
I would walk. I walked that distance when I was teaching in Inner Mongolia. Just use stoicism: imagine if you were living in an igloo 1000 years ago and probably 1000 miles farther north.

I’m in CA so I’m pretty sure I don’t even know what “cold” means. Doesn’t it all come down to wearing the right clothing though? If you have the right gear and aren’t risking your life being outdoors, a walk sounds nice to me.
Cold is SF in the summer.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
For those of you who haven't experienced cold, we're talking the temperature inside your freezer, give or take 40° colder or 20° warmer (F), depending on if it's actually "cold" out or not.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
For those of you who haven't experienced cold, we're talking the temperature inside your freezer, give or take 40° colder or 20° warmer (F), depending on if it's actually "cold" out or not.

If it's that cold, won't it take that much time for the inside of your car to come to a reasonable temperature?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »

If it's that cold, won't it take that much time for the inside of your car to come to a reasonable temperature?

Yep. The key is you're spending four minutes in it instead of 30. :P

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »
DH did. The distance was about like yours and we live in northern Ohio so winters could get pretty low, often in the teens. We bought hats with face masks, gloves, scarves, a rain suit, waterproof backpack etc. That being said... He refused the next year. I value my marriage so we bought a 2nd car. Womp womp. I think its worth trying for a year. He did love the exercise and still walks during nice days or if a car's in the shop.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
If the sidewalks are clear (minimal slip or fall risk) and it's -15C or warmer, I'd consider those acceptable walking conditions.  Bundle up, enjoy the money-saving exercise!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »
DH did. The distance was about like yours and we live in northern Ohio so winters could get pretty low, often in the teens. We bought hats with face masks, gloves, scarves, a rain suit, waterproof backpack etc. That being said... He refused the next year. I value my marriage so we bought a 2nd car. Womp womp. I think its worth trying for a year. He did love the exercise and still walks during nice days or if a car's in the shop.

After I started dating a Canadian, I learned that C and F are the same at -40.  Calgary has sub-zero (F) lows forecast next week (next Thursday has a high of 6°F), and we're not even to December yet  x.x

It's certainly possible, but I despise cold so it's not for me!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 10:58:56 PM »
In Northern Ontario.  I'll walk until it's colder than -15 Celsius. My walk to work was 15-20 min until construction forced an alternate 20-30 minute route. So I say GO FOR IT! Just wear good mitts and a good hat and scarf. And if you have to carry a bag make it ergonomic like a backpack.

today was a snow storm and the walk was amazing. Temps not too low and I had no worries about all the driving hassles people were experiencing. Got home with a good stretch and adrenaline

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 12:45:32 AM »
A 30-minute walk in the winter cold sounds pretty similar to my grad school commute. Parking on campus was expensive. Walking worked out fine. I didn't die or even get frostbite.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:48:25 AM »
I went without a car for a year, it was fine*. ~1.5 miles to work. It regularly hits -20F (-29C) here for a few weeks in Dec/Jan, occasionally down to about -40.  It was fine if you dress appropriately. Most of the time I would start shedding clothes after a few minutes, as I warmed up. I learned that I had to take my coat off and stand outside for a few minutes to cool down before going into work or someone's house because it would feel like walking into a furnace.

*I may be a bit of an anomaly. My "winter" jacket hasn't been out of the closet in years, I just wear a hoodie in the winter/aforementioned weather.

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 03:28:30 AM »
I have lived and worked in the Frazier Valley in Colorado through two winters as a ski patroller in the mid-1990s when January nights would touch -40°.

If you find joy in the challenge, and if your life allows for the extra ~40 minutes a day, go for it! Even on long days of working outside, I enjoyed the relaxing walk. It also minimized the wear and tear on my old 4wd vehicle.

For me, there is some magic in walking that helps both mentally and physically. Even in harsh conditions, walking has an antidepressant effect on me. (As does cycling) The effect is most pronounced if I do not listen to music, news, or audiobook for the first 10-15 minutes.

Finally, if you are trying to get a little leaner, good cold exposure can help ramp up the metabolism early in the day. Just watch out for the boomerang effect in the warmer spring months!

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »
I live in Ottawa and have been walking to work for 7 years now, year round. We've also been walking our kids to daycare, with them in a stroller, year round for much of that time. I say go for it.

As long as you dress appropriately it's quite enjoyable. Buy a pair of good pair of winter boots and layer clothing as required. I'd much rather be outside, walking to work, than sitting still in a frozen car in the parking lot waiting for the car to warm up. It's especially enjoyable when I'm moving faster than the gridlocked cars in the street. I'll usually make a mental note of a car that's near me when I reach the main drag and then see how far ahead of it I can get by the end of my walk.

The only issue I've ever had is getting your feet wet when there are still puddles on the ground or when the snow is really deep and wet. This is why a good set of boots is key.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
I have done this in a place farther north than most Canadians live. We regularly were told not to go outside for too long as it would risk lung damage. I know that the sound of snow crunching changes at a certain temperature and at another temperature your nostrils attempt to freeze close with each breath. Where the right clothes (layers), breathe through a scarf so you don't damage your lungs and you will have no problems.

In fact, interesting side effect. My body is much better at protecting itself from the cold that it used to be as a result of this. My hands actually produce heat so even a decade later, there was positive changes from doing this (course I still have done the 30 minute walks in the cold, it just doesn't get as cold here as my previous location).

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 08:25:12 AM »
Last winter I would walk the 1.5 hours (each way) to work when it was too icy to bike. I think the coldest I dealt with was -20C (or -4F). What i found worked like a charm was TWO thermal baselayers + wool sweater + warm winter coat + hat, gloves & good quality (mine is cashmere) scarf. You want to start out feeling slightly cool. Then about 15 mins later, you'll be at about the right temperature.

Today was -5C (41F) and I ended up dressing too warm and was hot on my bike ride to work.

Last winter was my first winter actually bike/walk commuting to work and I discovered I really enjoyed the challenge :) I'm going to do it again this winter although if necessary, I'll drive.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
I'd do it.  Just dress properly.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
When I was a teenager, I walked about 20 minutes each way to my part time job in -30 to -40C. Later I lived in Alberta and walked about 30 minutes to school in -20 to -30C. I actually tried biking in Alberta, but the snow was too deep for me and I didn't have the money to get a proper winter bike, so I walked instead. Just have to bundle up. I actually find the rainy dreary Vancouver winters more unpleasant.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
My walk to work is about the same as yours, and I do it on the few days when biking seems less than feasible.  You'll be toasty-warm and peeling off the layers by the time you get to where you're going. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »
Absolutely.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »
Walking is awesome, I would at least try it!
I also, do not know what true 'cold' is!

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »
I am in Florida so I can't relate, but I'd much rather walk 30 minutes in cold weather than in hot and humid weather and arrive at work all sweaty. The walk sounds lovely to me!

You know not of what you speak. I've experienced the extremes of both and the heat sucks, but the cold is physically painful in ways you can't imagine.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:04:50 AM by forumname123 »

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
I would do it, assuming there is a pedestrian-safe way to do so.  I live in Buffalo, NY and I did this myself for a while, though admittedly not every day.  My walk took about 40 minutes, and I enjoyed having some quiet time to clear my head and prepare for the day.  Weather was a factor sometimes in deciding to drive -- though more often it was how late I was running :)

I biked this same distance in good weather (ie, not icy or below 45) but never tried in the winter.  Plenty of coworkers did, though, and said it was just a matter of good tires and wind-proof riding gear.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
I bike to work (20 km, about 40 - 45 minutes each way) all winter long.  So  . . . yeah.  There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.  As long as you've got warm boots, a warm jacket, hat and gloves you'll be fine.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »

You know not of what you speak. I've experienced the extremes of both and the heat sucks, but the cold is physically painful in ways you can't imagine.

I have Raynaud's syndrome. My fingernails regularly turn blue just sitting in a cool room and my whole hands white and numb when exposed to sub 40F temps. Exposing them to cold, even rearranging food in the freezer triggers a painful attack. Gloves do absolutely nothing. I have never found a gloves that can keep my already cold hands warm. They just go numb after a painful initial exposure period and not in a good way. Once the good circulation returns it also is very uncomfortable. My hands swell where it is difficult to move my fingers at all. Only thing that can really be done is avoid cold.

People can stink just as much after exertion in the cold as the heat. It is a different kind of stink, but still stinks for sure.

I like walking for sure, but I wouldn't do it in severe conditions just to save a buck. Screw that.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »

Again, I am from Florida, so it's quite possible I know not of what I speak. I can say, from experience, that I would not walk in to a professional work environment during a Florida summer.

I used to go to Chicago occasionally  on work trips. I usually stayed at the hotel across the street from work and found the walk to work across the street quite lovely in the fall, summer, and spring months. But one year I went there in January in -5F weather, and it is true that I found myself driving across the street. Even walking from the work parking lot in to the office had me feel a chill so deep in my bones that it was hard to bear. I would cover my face with my gloved hands. I figured it was my wimpy Florida blood that couldn't handle it.

I am (pretty) sure that negative Fahrenheit temperatures don't happen EVERY day in the winter, so maybe the OP can choose to drive on those few days the weather is unbearable.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
When I first moved to Quebec City from Australia, I decided to skip getting the monthly bus pass and walked to university instead, which was about 45-50 min (4.8 km) each way. I loved it! Partly because of the novelty, with everything being so beautiful in the snow. It was also such a nice refreshing start to my day. I did it all winter, though I definitely had my limits. If it was under -25C with a headwind I would get the bus, which I think ended up happening maybe once every week or two. If your city goes through freeze-thaw cycles or gets freezing rain, I would recommend crampons (like the YakTrak things that slip over your shoes). Layering up is vital, and an outer layer with vents is super useful for when you do heat up a bit. I think 30 minutes is the perfect length of time to walk, just enough that you warm up and it's still a convenient commute length.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »
I live pretty close to work (~4 minutes drive). Walking takes 25-30 minutes.

It could get quite cold here in Canada in the winter. Would you take the car or walk?

I walked every lunchtime for 40 minutes and 10 minutes twice to the remote parking lot. This was in New England where there are some single-digit Farenheit days without factoring in wind chill. If you don't mind looking like a dork you can completely protect yourself from the cold with underlayers, insulated socks, face mask, scarf, good insulated mittens and a coat with a vest inside it. My coat was so heavy it would tip over the coat stand. My work was always cold so I could keep the underlayers on. Even with wind chill I was always comfortable inside my shield of clothes. It was the ice that was more of a problem and you can buy cleats for that.

The benefit, at least for me, was that I was completely energized after the lunchtime walk and sometimes I had the answer to a work problem even though I hadn't been consciously thinking about it.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
Why not bike? Up to -20C I'd keep biking (would reduce the 30 min walk to 10 min bike ride so less exposure to the cold). Unless there's too much snow/ice and streets aren't clear, then I'd walk.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »

When I lived in WI I walked 30 minutes everyday unless it was colder then -20.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »

I have Raynaud's syndrome. My fingernails regularly turn blue just sitting in a cool room and my whole hands white and numb when exposed to sub 40F temps. Exposing them to cold, even rearranging food in the freezer triggers a painful attack. Gloves do absolutely nothing. I have never found a gloves that can keep my already cold hands warm. They just go numb after a painful initial exposure period and not in a good way. Once the good circulation returns it also is very uncomfortable. My hands swell where it is difficult to move my fingers at all. Only thing that can really be done is avoid cold.

People can stink just as much after exertion in the cold as the heat. It is a different kind of stink, but still stinks for sure.

I like walking for sure, but I wouldn't do it in severe conditions just to save a buck. Screw that.

I learned a long time ago, I couldn't touch anything cold in the cold (this would make them numb within 30 seconds) and I couldn't (still can't) where gloves. When my hands warmed back up, they would swell and scream with pain. I still let me husband retrieve cold things from the freezer. When I walk in the cold, I keep my hands balled up and in my coat pockets. That keeps them from ever getting cold which like you I consider very important to avoid. Wearing the right jacket can make a world of difference.

Raynaud's is nasty though so you would probably need hand warmers (they have rechargeable USB ones nowadays) in your pockets to be safe. I am not sure this is all to save a buck however. When I lived somewhere that cold, starting your car required 10 minutes in advance minimum, it still wasn't warm at that point and a short drive like that would kill your vehicle (because it never warmed up). It was faster/easier for me to walk then to go through all that because I still needed to be bundled up.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
I live in MN and do it all the time. Temperature can get as low as -30F where I live. I find it easier to keep warm while walking than biking, especially my hands and face. Just make sure to dress warmly, and don't get into a hot shower as soon as you get home.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
 I grew up in a cold area, went to college in a cold area (Pittsburgh), and lived in DC for 5 years.

I walked to class in the cold in college, and walked to work in DC when it was so cold that my hair would break in half if I wasn't careful (Because I never dried my hair before going to work).

However, it was never that long.  At most, 15 minutes to the train station.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
Yes, I would and done so often. If you brisk walk you stay warm. I used to walk 45 min to work. I dressed in sportsgear and changed to normal clothes at work. Shower was not necessary.
I do not like walking when there is froozen rain. But normal crisp winter road goes fine. Make sure you put on many reflexes. Also get some spike soles or spike shoes.
Now I live further away from work and it takes 70 min to walk in summer and longer in the winter. So it is not often that I have enough time to walk.

When it really cold, like -20C or colder, then it can be very cold for your lungs. I can recommend using a device in Norwegian called lungplus. It lets tou warm up the air you breath in with the air you breath out. This helps a lot for getting warmer breath.
I must say that -24C has been the lowest temp for me to go cross country skiing. I prefer a bit warmer temperatures. -15C or so would be fine for me for being active outside.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:30:01 PM by Linda_Norway »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
It was the ice that was more of a problem and you can buy cleats for that.

Inspired by this, i'm going to buy some cleats for my hiking boots this winter :) There are some slipper sidewalks and I really don't want to risk a fall. The big question is where to find good cleats that are comfortable enough for a 1.5hr walk each way.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »
I grew up in a cold area, went to college in a cold area (Pittsburgh), and lived in DC for 5 years.

I walked to class in the cold in college, and walked to work in DC when it was so cold that my hair would break in half if I wasn't careful (Because I never dried my hair before going to work).

However, it was never that long.  At most, 15 minutes to the train station.

I used to walk 15 minutes to the train station for 15 years or so. When it was colder than -8C, I put rain trousers over my normal job trousers. That would help a lot to stay warm, especially because it held the wind out and created an extra layer. Mitten were also much better than gloves. Amd shoes with thick soles.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »
I would drive...but I don't enjoy being in the cold for too long.  And unless you're planning on selling your car because you are going to stop walking to work, driving ~8 minutes a day isn't going to materially affect your FIRE plans.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
Assuming one dresses accordingly (including covering one's head and ears), the temperature is quite irrelevant.

Of course, walk!

MaaS

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
Unless parking costs are ridiculous, or you're after health benefits, I don't see how this is a logical trade off.

An hour per day vs 8 minutes, a 52 minute difference.

My estimate is this saves $80/month. That's a pretty poor ROI for 17 extra hours per month.

We can quibble on the numbers, but pretty much anyone with internet access can monetize their time and make much more than that.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
I cycle to work most days but when it’s icy I walk to work and it takes about an hour. The right clothing is key as others have mentioned.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »
I have walked when the snow was not ideal to ski to work, but the roads and routes were too dangerous to bike.  It takes me an hour to walk to work.  It's about 2.5 miles to get there.  The only thing that made me mad was that one of my Yak trax came off and I lost it in a snow berm.  That made me sooo mad. 

My ski to work is pretty legit.  I have to take my skiis off to cross certain streets, but I can connect to a greenway with a protected bike path almost all the way to work. The ski home is kinda dark.  That can be troublesome in itself.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »
It depends.  I'm in the northeast and we get a pretty cold, snowy winter.  I like walking when it's moderately cold, still and dry.  Wind makes a huge difference.  There are no sidewalks pretty much anywhere near me and I don't want to walk in the road when it's snowing hard.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 02:38:23 PM »
Depends. I used to walk twenty minutes to school in the snow in Indiana. It was less cold and more icy/hilly which isn't a fun combo. I managed to walk on grass and stuff most of the time to keep away from ice which would have changed my opinion. I walked twenty-five minutes in Europe to work, but it is again not too cold. They were better about putting salt and stuff down so I was comfortable on the streets. I grew up in northern Wisconsin (not day-trip to Canada, but definitely weekend-trip) and never had to walk that far, but I doubt I would've had too much trouble with it.

I would do a trial. I'm guessing you won't feel the cold as some people might imagine since owning a good coat and moving around will probably make you hot. I would check your route, make sure people drive sensibly, and consider the time of day you will need to be out. Walking around in the snow after dark isn't ideal as a daily thing.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2017, 02:40:55 PM »
If you have a cleared route (no big piles of snow in your way, minimal black ice), go for it in weather-appropriate clothing.  Windbreaking gear will be important.  I've done half-hour walks at -20F (-29C), and it does help to have a scarf up to just under your eyes and a hat that covers your eyebrows.  If I were to go back in time, I'd see about ski goggles or something to protect my eyelids.

Also, if you are walking out any time but broad daylight, please wear a reflective vest!  I picked one up for $5 or so.  It slips on over my dark coat and makes me WAY more visible to cars if I am at a crosswalk.  I see all these people wearing all dark clothes in the evening and walking on the road's shoulder, and I worry they'll get hit because they are effectively invisible until the last minute.

KelStache

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »
I agree with walking! Not only mustachian, but good for your health as well :)

I also live in a very cold part of Canada, and walk about 10-15 minutes to/from work 4 times a day (I go usually go home for lunch).

Good footwear, warm clothing, and a scarf are key! I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant and plan to keep it up until maternity leave :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
I would.
Only because at my previous job the parking lot was a 20 minute walk from my building (in the summer) that easily became 25-30 minutes in the winter climbing over snow piles and going through icey spots, and that was the closest I could get to the building.

I will say that when it reached below -35F (-37C) windchill, I had someone drive me and drop me off at the building. That happens about 5 days a year. So if the cold you are talking about is routinely colder than that, then I would say no.  Usually we are talking about just a bit below 0F (-17C) in the mornings, or even slightly warmer.

I did fall multiple times as sidewalks were never cleared well. If falling is a large injury concern for you, reconsider walking in the winter.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:46:49 PM by iowajes »

KelStache

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
Unless parking costs are ridiculous, or you're after health benefits, I don't see how this is a logical trade off.

An hour per day vs 8 minutes, a 52 minute difference.

My estimate is this saves $80/month. That's a pretty poor ROI for 17 extra hours per month.

We can quibble on the numbers, but pretty much anyone with internet access can monetize their time and make much more than that.

Except you're not just throwing away that time, you're getting exercise, which should be done whether you drive or not.  I double up and listen to podcasts or audiobooks on my walk, so it's relaxation/downtime too :)

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2017, 02:46:13 PM »
I live in MN and do it all the time. Temperature can get as low as -30F where I live. I find it easier to keep warm while walking than biking, especially my hands and face. Just make sure to dress warmly, and don't get into a hot shower as soon as you get home.

More MN checking in. Throw on a hat and jacket; you'll be fine.

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
Down to around 20 degrees assuming light wind, sure. In college, I used to do 20-30 minute walks in winter (big Midwest school) and with appropriate clothes (as appropriate as possible given the need to quickly go from work to car to walking to classroom and often limited space at a small desk). I was often slightly frozen for the first 15 minutes of class and hands took a while to be able to easily write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk