Author Topic: Would you play a Mustachian computer game? (GREENLIT)  (Read 50463 times)

Ian

• Bristles
Re: Would you HELP KICKSTART a Mustachian computer game?
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
In my defense, guys, I've looked over a lot of data and it's amazing how trivial details can make a big difference in campaigns. Of course, that's why I need you people to pull me out of my detail obsession. In the end, I'm not in control of most of what happens.

Hello
Your project looks great.
If you are willing to do some kind of french release, i'd love to help with traductions and even advertising this in my own yt channels and such.
Interesting. I don't want to underestimate the amount of work a translation would be, but I think this is worth considering. I don't speak French and I probably won't get enough money to afford professional translation, but I'd be happy to do whatever I could to help a translation project. If all the text is translated, I can definitely put out a French version. (Any language, really, though some character sets aren't supported.)

Backed at the $10 level. Best of luck to you!
Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
Hah, was just reading ERE and saw a banner ad for it in the lefthand sidebar.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FrenchyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frenchie Geek
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
I can do that, sure.
Just send me text on whatever support you'd like, and i can do that on my loose hours.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
What platform does this run on? Can I run it on my wimpy little Linux netbook?

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »

It doesn't seem to use any significant graphics/cpu power so I'm sure you can

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »
Goal passed!

This is a busy day to have this happen at work, so I haven't even written the announcement on Kickstarter yet. There will be some new information about platforms, new backer tiers, stretch goals, and other things. But I wanted to let you guys know first.

Hah, was just reading ERE and saw a banner ad for it in the lefthand sidebar.  :D
Yeah, that was nice to get. I don't have referral data for clicks, but I do know some backers are coming from there.

I can do that, sure.
Just send me text on whatever support you'd like, and i can do that on my loose hours.
There will be a few things to figure out, so I'll send you a PM with the details once I do (everything else is a little busy at the moment).

Unfortunately, the engine only supports Windows by default. If you have Wine or any kind of Windows emulation, the graphics/CPU requirements are very low, so I'm pretty sure that part wouldn't be an obstacle.

I'm seriously considering a port to Mac/Linux as a stretch goal, because you're far from the first person to ask about this.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »
I just backed at $20.  Really looking forward to the full game, the pre-release version has been a lot of fun.  Reminds me of FF on the SNES but much, much funnier.  The swearing really helps.

Best!

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »
Since we've passed 200% funded and hit $1000, I'm happy to announce...

This project has grown out its 'stache!

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of support shown. I'm also happy that based on my referral numbers, that support isn't just from Mustachian-minded people. A solid chunk is from here or the banner ad from people already reading ERE, but the majority are people with no apparent exposure to the idea. If I play a small role in convincing any of them to live their lives a little more efficiently, I'll be satisfied.

Having said that, I'd like to see if I can keep up the momentum and get Linux/Mac supported as well. This is the last stage of the campaign, so it can be critical for total numbers. If anyone has any spendthrift relatives with more money than sense...

More seriously, if anyone is moved to share the project, now is a good time. I've been doing some cross-promotion that's seen some results (and we can cross our fingers that MMM's timing on his software post will match the campaigns) and I'll be putting up new pledge tiers to see if I can appeal to any of the big fish on Kickstarter that only back winners. For a money-free way to help, if anyone here uses Wine or another Windows emulator, send me a PM and we'll do some testing.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »
Bravo! I'm so happy for you, Ian! The alpha was awesome--can't wait to see what else you're adding ^__^

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »
I'm here to announce that the campaign has entered its final four days. If it stays at this level I can make the game I intended, but I'm hoping for a final surge since that's the traditional pattern on Kickstarter.

I've also opened up alternate payment options if anyone doesn't like Kickstarter or Amazon. All pledge levels are available via alternate methods as well.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2014, 07:31:01 AM »

Hello
Your project looks great.
If you are willing to do some kind of french release, i'd love to help with traductions and even advertising this in my own yt channels and such.
Interesting. I don't want to underestimate the amount of work a translation would be, but I think this is worth considering. I don't speak French and I probably won't get enough money to afford professional translation, but I'd be happy to do whatever I could to help a translation project. If all the text is translated, I can definitely put out a French version. (Any language, really, though some character sets aren't supported.)
I can do that, sure.

I am a native French speaker as well, I can help translating on my free time.

Pol

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2014, 06:18:47 PM »
Thanks, more translators are always good. I haven't figured out a way to give you a complete text dump of the game, but I'll do what I can to help in terms of variations, hidden text, and whatever else isn't obvious. From you translation volunteers, I'm open to suggestions about how to coordinate that project - we could make a little forum, perhaps?

FrenchyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frenchie Geek
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2014, 02:16:29 AM »
Yeah,
Doing a forum or anything where you could just split up every language you gotta translate seems a good idea.
From that, we can figure out a way of transtlating in an efficient way.
I believe with more informations on how you developped the game, retriving all texts can be easier to do & manage.

Ian

• Bristles
Re: Would you help Kickstart a Mustachian computer game? (FINAL 48 HOURS)
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »
Final 48 hours! Meanwhile, two questions:
1) I'm going to set up a little forum to coordinate translators - does anyone have a strong preference for which free forum provider is best?
2) Does anyone here use WINE on Mac? I have a very simple/short test I'd like to run.

Ian

• Bristles
Re: Would you play a Mustachian computer game? (FUNDED)
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
And the campaign is done. Many thanks again to all of you.

There's more fallout than I expected after the campaign. It would be fine if I didn't have a full week of work ahead of me, but as things stand I'm a little swamped. Apologies if I don't get back to anyone in a timely fashion.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
Dangit, just missed my chance to contribute.  I would love to purchase a copy when the game is done, though--how will it be distributed once it's completed?

zt

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
Good question about distribution. As of right now, I'm planning three basic methods:
 - Direct sales from my blog.
 - Major channels (definitely Desura, probably not Steam).
 - Specialized indie gaming sites.

Between those, anyone should be able to get the game. But first I need to fulfill backer rewards and polish the final product.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2014, 02:52:11 PM »
Good question about distribution. As of right now, I'm planning three basic methods:
 - Direct sales from my blog.
 - Major channels (definitely Desura, probably not Steam).
 - Specialized indie gaming sites.

Between those, anyone should be able to get the game. But first I need to fulfill backer rewards and polish the final product.
Why not steam?

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
Why not steam?
Nothing against it; Steam is one of the biggest and best platforms. But I've been doing research on the Greenlight process and it's brutal - comparable games with much bigger fanbases have put in a lot of effort and not gotten in. Considering the cost and time commitment are not insignificant, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

FrenchyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frenchie Geek
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2014, 07:48:50 AM »
First launch the game on a standalone outside of steam.
If the game skyrocket, you can start the greenlight process. I helped a friend going through, it was hard as hell.
But we made it.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2014, 12:45:54 AM »
Since I last posted in this thread, Desura has accepted the game. That's nice, because Desura is a fairly large sales platform and offers support for beta releases. Click to see the beta in their storefront:
http://www.desura.com/games/cubicle-quest

Those of you who backed for the beta, try it out at your leisure and I'll send you a product key any way you like. Still working out a few kinks with updating the file on their website, but the basic process seems to function fine.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
In case you missed it, the game has been released. Mostly I'm responding to Kickstarter backers playing it, but I'm also getting the game up on sales channels. Right now it's available directly from my website as well as from Desura (see the above post). I hope to make it on too more specialized channels as well. The process is a little more work than I'd like, but I hope that soon I'll be able to set it aside (and see how quickly the passive income dwindles).

The reason I'm posting now is because I've gotten a fair amount of interest on Kickstarter to try a Steam Greenlight campaign. That's a hard market, but I'd like to respond to people as best I can. Does anyone here have a Steam account?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »
Good Job Ian!

I haven't downloaded the Kickstarter version yet, hoping to get some game time in this weekend :)

I have a steam account. Also a friend of my Hubby's went through greenlight and was successful for his game "Life Goes On"  I't'd be awesome to see your game on steam

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »
I just downloaded the kickstarter copy, and I'm loving it. Although I accidentally saved over my game after going into the promotion dungeon, and it is too overpowered for me, so I think I have to start over

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »
I just downloaded the kickstarter copy, and I'm loving it. Although I accidentally saved over my game after going into the promotion dungeon, and it is too overpowered for me, so I think I have to start over

I definitely did that when I was testing the game. Oops. Be careful with the saves!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
Oh, and Ian - I have a Steam account. My user name is 'That_One_Girl' (maybe _ or maybe spaces, I forget).

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Thanks for the votes of encouragement, everyone. Greenlight will take a little while to accept me, but when it's done we'll give this a shot. I've read articles suggesting that it currently takes around 5-10k votes to get in, so we have a difficult campaign ahead of us, but it's worth trying since so many players want the game on Steam.

I definitely encourage players to use the many save slots provided, though most of the game lets you teleport to safety.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »
Hey, I'm getting more notifications on Desura, but I won't know your profile unless you tell me via another channel (ideally Kickstarter). Just a general notification for people who want a Desura key.

For everyone else: if you're already a Desura user, I'd be much obliged if you gave your thoughts on the game in a review, as I don't have any yet. No need to go out of your way, but I think a few people here have accounts.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
Still loving the game.... but I'm stuck on the floor of society. Where do I get a fetch quest??

:) I was telling a friend about the game, and she was wondering where she can go to buy it. Is Desura the only place right now?

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »
Ian, I have a steam account. 

I'm also fairly involved in a competitive gaming scene, so I might be able to farm some votes for you from sympathetic gamers who are in my circles if your game shows up on Greenlight. 

I'd rather not put my steam info here because I normally keep these online personas separate, but if you'd like mine I can send you a PM.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »
Update: Steam is not accepting my payment and their help processes move slowly.

Still loving the game.... but I'm stuck on the floor of society. Where do I get a fetch quest??
The Fetch Quest isn't found on the Floor of Society - this is one of the subtler puzzles of the game, perhaps too subtle. You've probably gotten everything you can get from that floor for now.

:) I was telling a friend about the game, and she was wondering where she can go to buy it. Is Desura the only place right now?
Nope, you can also purchase it directly with this link:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/cart?CID=8734&PRODUCTID=87340000

I'm hoping to get on at least two other stores, and Steam if we can successfully manage it. I'll always update this page with the newest channels:
http://ianisaro.blogspot.com/p/cubicle-quest.html

Ian, I have a steam account. 

I'm also fairly involved in a competitive gaming scene, so I might be able to farm some votes for you from sympathetic gamers who are in my circles if your game shows up on Greenlight. 

I'd rather not put my steam info here because I normally keep these online personas separate, but if you'd like mine I can send you a PM.
Thanks for the offer of support. How about when I get on Steam, I'll announce it here and you can help out if you want? PM me your info if you think that's necessary.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2014, 07:17:33 PM »
The Greenlight campaign has finally begun:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303370285

Please vote for it if you have an account and feel led. Unlike Kickstarter, a Greenlight "campaign" never ends - it just usually climbs the ranks enough to get accepted or drops to the bottom and gets ignored. This will be a hard campaign, much harder than Kickstarter, but since I promised everyone I would give it a shot, here it is. Everyone who has already backed by one method or another will get a free Steam key if we get accepted.

ioseftavi

• Bristles
Re: Would you STEAM GREENLIGHT a Mustachian computer game?
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »
Voted yes and got another 10 or so people to say yes.  I'll keep hitting up friends in my gaming circles.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »
Will inform the husband (who has a steam account) to vote.  :D
I have not had a chance to play, but I am hopeful I will soon.

Nancy

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »
Done!

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
Many thanks to everyone supporting. Greenlight doesn't give enough information to be sure whether or not we're doing well, but unless this strong start fizzles, I believe it's going better than expected.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
Many thanks to everyone supporting. Greenlight doesn't give enough information to be sure whether or not we're doing well, but unless this strong start fizzles, I believe it's going better than expected.
Got the husband to like it!

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »
Thanks. We've passed 1000 yes votes, so unless the rate drops off massively, things don't look as impossible as I thought at first.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
Nice!

And I have to say, I love Jacob's house.. plus the idea of actually getting to make stuff like a bike is pretty damn cool.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »
Bought the game (direct) and voted on greenlight. Looking forward to this!

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2014, 03:23:12 AM »
Just downloaded the demo. Seeing as I've never played an rpg before, I thought that was wise before buying. Currently battling unsuccessfully to get my promotion. Enjoyed it so far. Any tips for a newbie appreciated!

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2014, 03:25:54 AM »
PS a female character would be awesome. But I understand the reasons. Shame that boys are the default is all. :-) Good luck on your green light campaign.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
Just downloaded the demo. Seeing as I've never played an rpg before, I thought that was wise before buying. Currently battling unsuccessfully to get my promotion. Enjoyed it so far. Any tips for a newbie appreciated!

Save lots :) Also, if something to just too difficult, it usually means you aren't suppose to be doing it yet so you should just explore more and get stronger.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2014, 05:55:09 PM »
As a general update, Steam votes have slowed to a trickle. My yes/no ratio continues to be better than average for this type of game, but I need a way to get a lot more views to the project. Right now it looks like it will be a (very slow) race between yes votes and Steam's eventual closing. If anyone wants to get a Steam copy, this is where to send people:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303370285

Swick gave good recommendations. The number one thing I've found that trips up people unfamiliar with RPGs is this: you need to find each enemy's weakness and exploit it. Many players pick their strongest special attack and use it repeatedly, but some enemies are practically immune to all special attacks (and weak to normal ones). And of course, use "Work" element attacks on enemies that represent work and so on.

PS a female character would be awesome. But I understand the reasons. Shame that boys are the default is all. :-) Good luck on your green light campaign.
Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't include any more options, but that's the way it goes.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »
I managed to get promoted, and that seemed to be it, so I bought the full version and lost quite a lot of yesterday! Was using a notebook to record things and record what I'd done before each save. I think I'm level 4 and got the dodgy flat mate and visited my parents who are not that happy with me.

I wish of paid more attention to which enemies have a  weakness for what. But it's all learning.

I do like it though. Especially as it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's kind of like playing a little life except you get to go back and do it differently if you die.

I will share with a couple of people I think might play games and get them to vote on steam. Nice work though!

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »
Thanks, it's always nice to hear someone is enjoying the game.

MilStachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
+1 Greenlight!

Ian

• Bristles
Re: Would you play a Mustachian computer game? (GREENLIT)
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2015, 03:54:42 PM »
It took a long time, but eventually we worked our way into the top ten games on Steam Greenlight, at which point it was accepted by Valve, and now the game is released on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/349500/

If you enjoyed the game and have a Steam account, I'd much appreciate if you left a review of your thoughts on the game. It doesn't have to be long or in-depth, just honest.

jmusic

• Bristles
Re: Would you play a Mustachian computer game? (GREENLIT)
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
First I'm hearing about it right now, but I'll be sure to check it out when I get home. :)

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
Re: Would you play a Mustachian computer game?
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
already exists

So did search engines when Google was founded ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!