Author Topic: Would you pay extra for brick and mortar store over online delivery?  (Read 3083 times)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
I am looking at getting an item that can either be ordered by a store and picked up for 92 or I can get the same thing on amazon for 74. I just got burned by an amazon seller shipping the wrong item and had to go through the hassle of returning it, but I don't expect that to happen twice in a row. I also want to support my local small store. Principles over money, or lowest price? Help me decide!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Would you pay extra for brick and mortar store over online delivery?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
If you want that store to be there in the future, you have to buy from them.
If you don't care, buy from amazon.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
If it is privately owned mom and pop then yes. If it is a big box retail then online.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
I would not pay a 24% premium to buy something locally unless I needed it immediately.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
As much as I want to support my local store, I think the deciding factor will be that online I can get it by Tuesday, but in store not until Thursday, and I'm going away that day so I won't have time to pick it up. If they had it in stock I'd most likely get it there now. I am usually a supporter of local businesses and I hardly ever buy online, which is why I'm so conflicted over this. But this has been a particularly difficult item to find and no one around me seems to have it. Looks like Amazon wins again :(

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
I would not pay a 24% premium to buy something locally unless I needed it immediately.
This.  I'd also probably pay a few extra bucks if it means saving a trip to the store.  A trip to the store has a non-zero cost both in dollars and time.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
My chief concern in these cases is whether or not I expect to return it.  Returning online stuff can be a huge pain, so I am sometimes willing to pay a premium for the meatspace customer service for certain items.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
My chief concern in these cases is whether or not I expect to return it.  Returning online stuff can be a huge pain, so I am sometimes willing to pay a premium for the meatspace customer service for certain items.
With Amazon, I'd be fine with returning it online, and would prefer that.  Meatspace customer service is on average worse than Amazon, may not be true for other online retailers.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 05:00:52 PM »
Any chance the store would price match? Most big box stores will price match identical items if Amazon is listed as the seller.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
I buy from brick and mortar stores when:

1. I need to try something on and don't want to order one in every size.
2. I seek technical advice or services related to a purchase. 
3. It's a better deal (not uncommon in many high margin items like bicycles due to distributor pricing schemes).
4. I just want to hang out at the local shop. Sometimes they have cold beer. 

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »
Since it's a hard-to-find item I wouldn't worry too much about getting it from Amazon.

I usually will go to a store if the item is under $40 (like a hairbrush or whatever) or if the store-bought item is both convenient to get and would benefit from a hands-on viewing prior to purchase (like a lamp).

Otherwise, you are paying extra for the item, paying for driving, and hurting the environment. After all, the FedEx guy was probably going to be in your neighborhood anyway. It's like public transport for your stuff!

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »

3. It's a better deal (not uncommon in many high margin items like bicycles due to distributor pricing schemes).

This, plus if I expect the quality of the item to vary such that I would like to personally select the item I will purchase from those available rather than ending up with whatever they happen to ship me.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »

This, plus if I expect the quality of the item to vary such that I would like to personally select the item I will purchase from those available rather than ending up with whatever they happen to ship me.

I agree. A coworker does that Amazon grocery delivery and was surprised that the bananas he ordered were brown. This is why you pick it out yourself.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »

This, plus if I expect the quality of the item to vary such that I would like to personally select the item (comma) I will purchase from those available (local) rather than ending up with whatever they (online store) happen to ship me.
These, plus: if there's a possibility that I may need/want to exchange the item.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »

I agree. A coworker does that Amazon grocery delivery and was surprised that the bananas he ordered were brown. This is why you pick it out yourself.
I personally have actually had excellent luck with Amazon Fresh (used for about three months so far).  Even suspect things like lettuce, berries, or avocados were perfect.  I've been very pleasantly surprised.  One exception was some smashed berries, but they refunded me for those with just a few clicks.
These, plus: if there's a possibility that I may need/want to exchange the item.
I think I mentioned it upthread, but at least with Amazon, returns are way simpler/faster than any physical store.  No extra trip to the store, no waiting in line or talking to customer service, just click return and print a shipping label.