Author Topic: Would you keep CSP card or switch to Southwest card  (Read 1819 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Would you keep CSP card or switch to Southwest card
« on: November 08, 2018, 06:41:22 AM »
 I fly a lot for work. Almost exclusively Southwest. And will probably earn companion pass next year but am too late for getting the SW card bonus this year.  I also used to earn a lot of Marriott/SPG points because of this.

I currently have Chase Sapphire preferred. I will now be “commuting” to work at my own cost. Flights cost $75/<5000 pt one way.  I use my card to pay for everything in my life except for mortgage and utility bill.

I do have 2 kids I take on vacations  but otherwise won’t use the companion pass that much.

I need to sit down and write out the comparison but I’m thinking I should switch?

dhc

• Stubble
Re: Would you keep CSP card or switch to Southwest card
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:57:37 PM »
Why not both? And why are you restricting yourself to just these two?

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »
Are you married?  I'd personally either up grade to the Reserve card with chase or get your SO to get this card on their own.  Just as long as someone in the family has it.  The benefits of this card out weigh the cost of the annual fee no problem.  You get $300 travel credit each year. All UR redemptions will be worth 1.5 times more.  Plus you get a $100 credit towards TSA pre check or global entry, priority pass access, travel insurance, trip delay and cancelation insurance, plus a bunch of other benefits..  I'm a churner but keep my CSR because it's such a good product.

ETBen

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »
I’ll look at the reserve. I wonder if it covers Clear. I have precheck but of course it’s getting busier and busier at my home airport. I don’t have a spouse so that’s out.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »
I’ll look at the reserve. I wonder if it covers Clear. I have precheck but of course it’s getting busier and busier at my home airport. I don’t have a spouse so that’s out.

How long ago did you get the CSP?  You use to be able to double dip both cards but they put an end to that.  You can still product change up to the Reserve card from the Preferred card though.  I love the lounge access it provides.  Granted some lounges are better than others, but I'll never complain about free booze!  The 1.5x UR points will pay for it's self especially if you are sitting a decent amount.  Chase views the $300 travel credit pretty loosely also.  Parking ect qualifies but an easy way to just cash it out is book a refundable fare on southwest.  Wait for the credit to post and then cancel the ticket.  It's like getting a free $300 statement credit to use on anything.  Another cool perk of the CSR is it's a visa infinite card.  Get complimentary early and late check outs at hotels.  Granted most the times you have to point it out to them but they always honor it.  You also get discounts on rental cars ect.  Silver car give you a 30% discount with an infinite card....

ETBen

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 08:39:17 PM »
It’s been over 2 years so I’m good on the chase restrictions on bonuses.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »

They just changed the sapphire family to one bonus every 48 months fyi..., but you can still product change up with no bonus.

ETBen

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »

They just changed the sapphire family to one bonus every 48 months fyi..., but you can still product change up with no bonus.

Boo hiss!  I don’t churn anymore so I’m so not up to date.