Poll

Would you cancel your plans?

No, it will be fine, I'd still go to the wedding
14 (9.4%)
Yes, I would cancel my plans
135 (90.6%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Would You Cancel Travel Plans (Wedding) Down to NC/SC This Weekend?  (Read 19688 times)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
One of my very good friends is getting married down in Greenville, South Carolina this weekend.  His dad also happens to my one of my best clients.  Our families are pretty close -- we even eat Christmas Eve dinner together.  So I not only feel like I want to go, but I feel like I have to go.

The plan was to stay with my wife's family in Statesville, NC (about an hour north of Charlotte) this Thursday and Friday, then travel to Greenville, SC on Saturday morning.

But, in case you haven't heard, there's an absolutely enormous hurricane barreling towards the Carolinas, and meteorologists are saying it could be the worst to ever hit the Carolinas: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/09/hurricane-florence-southeast-danger/569863/

I live in Ohio, so I'm a hurricane noob.  But this is freaking me out.  I think the roads will be terrible, there's a risk of flash floods where we are supposed to be staying, and who knows whether there will be power or not.  And we are driving, and I'm not sure I'm okay with driving in these types of conditions.

Here's the ultimate kicker: my wife is 14 weeks pregnant.  She really wants to go because we were going to see her family (who we don't get to see that often), but I'm freaked out. 

So, what would you do?  I'm still leaning towards going, but I guess I need some reassurance from folks here who may have more experience with this stuff.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Would You Cancel Travel Plans (Wedding) Down to NC/SC This Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:58:44 AM »
Could you delay your departure (to head south/east) by a day, spend Friday in Statesville instead of two days?

I'm in the path of Florence (though inland).  I'm not fleeing, but I don't think I'd head this direction, honestly.  That said, certainly there is a long history of dire predictions that did not pan out -- and regardless, impacts will vary widely by locality, it's just a question of where...

If you do decide to come down, I think I'd bring at least some of the stuff recommended for emergency packs.  Bottled water (or a way to purify it), batteries/flashlights, some "practical" changes of clothes (not what I'd pack to wear to a wedding), blankets (or sleeping bags), and pillows. 

Good luck whatever you decide.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »
Could you delay your departure (to head south/east) by a day, spend Friday in Statesville instead of two days?

I'm in the path of Florence (though inland).  I'm not fleeing, but I don't think I'd head this direction, honestly.  That said, certainly there is a long history of dire predictions that did not pan out -- and regardless, impacts will vary widely by locality, it's just a question of where...

If you do decide to come down, I think I'd bring at least some of the stuff recommended for emergency packs.  Bottled water (or a way to purify it), batteries/flashlights, some "practical" changes of clothes (not what I'd pack to wear to a wedding), blankets (or sleeping bags), and pillows. 

Good luck whatever you decide.

We were supposed to come down Friday, but it looks like that’s right when it’s about to hit north of Charlotte, so we moved it up a day.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:36:22 AM »
Charlotte and Greenville are both predicted to get tropical storm level winds and widespread flooding. I would stay away.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
Tough one. Would it be possible to wait until closer to the weekend, skip the NC stop, and go straight to SC if conditions allow via a more western route? I just looked at a projected path map, and it looks like upstate SC may very well be on the "clean side" of the storm. Depending on what Florence does, there might not be much impact at all. Or the area could be flattened.

It just strikes me that the wedding is not time-flexible, but the trip to NC is (if you do this, I would make plans to go back for a family trip, or send her on her own). Storm impacts in upstate look like will probably be high winds and stream flooding, plus the impacts of the evacuees (road crowding, supplies of gas, etc.) One big concern is that they are talking about the possibility of a stall which means a ton of rain. Not as much as Harvey, but the area isn't as well prepared for flooding either

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »
I would cancel, not worth the risk.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 07:51:01 AM »
I live in Greenville! Weird to see it on the forum. :) Bummer about the hurricane blowing up your trip, we have a really beautiful city.

I will say I've lived here for 29 years and we've never had any *real* significant hurricane impact... of course, SC hasn't seen a category 4 storm since '89. Traffic might be a mess and it'll probably be a washout, but I am having a hard time believing we're going to see too much disruption up here. Lower SC is going to get rocked, though.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »
If they're in a state of emergency they're not going to want people out on the roads. (I'm in NY--no dog in the fight.)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »
Could you go to the wedding on Saturday and then on to NC on Sunday/Monday or Monday/Tuesday?

slb59

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 08:29:30 AM »
I'm in SC, and from what I'm seeing, the coast is at risk but the rest of the state is fine. You'll see they canceled schools state-wide, but from my understanding that's primarily so they can use the buses and schools to help shelter people from the coast. Right now, the forecasts look like the western part of the state will be totally fine through the weekend, but there's a chance SC/NC could get hit when Florence circles back around Monday.

I'd go, but make sure I'm on my way out fairly early Sunday in case Florence circles back. I'd also check thestate.com to see if there are any planned highway reversals that might impact your trip. I'm 99% sure there wouldn't be, but it never hurts to make sure.

FWIW, my parents are planning to drive from SC to IN on Friday to return Sunday, and they are not changing their plans. If it were Charleston or Myrtle Beach, that's a totally different story, but the last couple hurricanes that hit the coast didn't do too much to us farther west.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 08:30:39 AM »
Driving straight to Greenville is eleven hours. Again, my wife is about 14 weeks pregnant, so we were trying to break up the drive.

Speaking of that, anyone have any thoughts on the pregnancy angle of all this? I know every expecting mom has a different experience, but it’s giving me a lot of pause.

slb59

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 08:32:38 AM »
By the way, if you want to obsess over all the data and play with all the different possible scenarios, this is a fantastic site: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

My husband has been checking it at least three times a day for the last week. :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:27 AM »
Driving straight to Greenville is eleven hours. Again, my wife is about 14 weeks pregnant, so we were trying to break up the drive.

Speaking of that, anyone have any thoughts on the pregnancy angle of all this? I know every expecting mom has a different experience, but it’s giving me a lot of pause.

At that stage of pregnancy, I don't think the pregnancy would factor into my decision. (I am on my third pregnancy and travel frequently during them- I get extraordinarily sick during the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy- so I wouldn't be able to eat without throwing up, and therefore, we'd have to stop to eat, I couldn't eat in the car.)  The only reason it -might- is, if your wife were to experience complications, would she be able to access medical care if you the hospitals are flooded or power is out?  Or how comfortable might she be in the car, if your drive ends up taking double the time due to weather and traffic. 

However, pregnant or not, I would cancel and give the couple your regrets.  Traveling into zones that expect to be disaster areas just isn't a good idea. Resources are limited, they don't need more people on the roads or more drain on responders.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:38:26 AM by I'm a red panda »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »

I had a baby last year, so I'll bite.  What's her pregnancy been like so far?  I was bone-tired in the beginning, but not nauseous, so a very long car ride would have been fine.  She's moving in to what are usually the easiest few months of pregnancy, so I wouldn't worry too much about the drive.

I would worry a little bit more about the stress, especially if she's a high risk/older/multiples/etc mom.  Will your route take you along good medical centers or will you be out in the middle of nowhere, potentially stranded?  I'd make sure you have extra water, cash, food, etc, for sure.

All that said, as much as I don't think the pregnancy figures in much (since she is raring to go), I would send my regrets and donate the travel money to recovery efforts.  I don't think you should go in to a storm area and become a drain on already taxed public resources during the storm.  Do you have a sense for what other guests are doing?

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
I live in Greenville! Weird to see it on the forum. :) Bummer about the hurricane blowing up your trip, we have a really beautiful city.

I will say I've lived here for 29 years and we've never had any *real* significant hurricane impact... of course, SC hasn't seen a category 4 storm since '89. Traffic might be a mess and it'll probably be a washout, but I am having a hard time believing we're going to see too much disruption up here. Lower SC is going to get rocked, though.

Me too!

It's going to be very very wet. I can remember Charlotte and Raleigh getting rocked by Hugo, and it wasn't a cakewalk here either, so there could definitely be some wind and tornado issues down this way. Not to mention the traffic - my BF works in Columbia and says it is a total cluster#$%^ down there today. If you decide to come, I would get where I was planning to be on Thursday. After that, it's going to be messy driving and the fewer people on the roads, the better. If you go to Statesville, you may be stuck there for a while. Honestly, I would probably skip this trip. The weather is going to be too shitty to enjoy it, and has the potential to go sideways on you.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 09:48:30 AM »
I think I would. I’ve seen several predictions of severe inland flooding from this storm, which is no joke.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »
I am the least prudent person ever, and I would cancel.  It doesn't seem wise to add more people to a place that may already be getting evacuees and heavy rain, and there's the possibility you could get stuck there if the storm ends up doing something different than the current predictions.

I don't think at 14 weeks the pregnancy would influence my opinion very much, but my opinion without pregnancy is to not go, so no change.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:01 AM »
YES!! I'm sure quite a few of the other friends and family will also be cancelling their plans to head down. And if it's that bad will the wedding even go on? I'd stay in the nice safe hurricane free midwest!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »

14 weeks is like barely pregnant =)

We did a few long 12-18 hour car trips, straight through, while my wife was pregnant and with infants.  If avoiding the worst parts of hurricane and wanting to go to the wedding, get some 5 hour energies and be prepared to do some driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »

For many people, 14 weeks is the worst part of the pregnancy! (When you can't even sip water without throwing up.)
For others, it's when you are starting to feel better.

Every woman is different. I was vastly more comfortable 30-40 weeks pregnant than I was from 6-24 weeks. 

partdopy

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
No.  But then again I lived in Florida for 25 years so typically a hurricane means I need to stock up on beer, food for the grill and ice since my power might go out.

I went to a wedding in Miami during a hurricane.  Was pretty nice, as the governor declared a state of emergency so lots of people left, there was about 15 other people on the highway going south, and all tolls were closed.  In my experience, as long as you're in a building adhering to modern building codes and not in a flood zone, you'll be fine.

leftcoastenvy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »
I live a little bit west of Durham and a lot of gas stations around here are already out of gas. So you might want to factor in not being able to just stop at any gas station to fill up on the drive.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 10:37:27 AM »
I'm in Raleigh and used to live on the coast.  Grocery stores here have been emptied out, propane, ice, batteries and water is gone from everywhere and several gas stations are out also.  I used to live on the coast and most of our friends are going evacuating to Charlotte or even Georgia because "supposedly" the impact is going to be less there than in Raleigh/Fayetteville/Greensboro.  We have a generator and live on a hill, so a few people are braving it to evacuate to our house.  The weather is not going to be too pleasant and the roads will likely be a mess, but I'd ask people in Greenville how bad it is there now.  It shifted north just slightly, but this storm is huge so there will still probably be rain even that far inland. 

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 10:46:04 AM »
Came back to Charlotte from a trip up north yesterday and went out to grocery shop (not for the storm, it was because we needed food after being gone a week).  And many things were already gone - bread, water, veggies, cans, etc.  Some gas stations in South Charlotte now are also out of gas. 

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
[. . .]

In my experience, as long as you're in a building adhering to modern building codes and not in a flood zone, you'll be fine.
I agree with this.  I would not cancel the trip.  The wedding party are important to you, and it would be very nice of you to show up when there may be a lot of others dropping out.  Keep an eye on the predicted storm track tomorrow.  Right now it looks like several inches of rain in Statesville, and a couple in Greenville (FWIW - I am in the Charlotte area).    Will your wife's family be okay with you staying an extra night or two, if the storm track changes and you decide not to head down to Greenville?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
You may be fine in Statesville/Greenville, but at this point it's a crap shoot.  Rain, flooding, and power outages would be my biggest worries.  Gas also may become an issue. 

The storm track keeps changing, and the noon news (here in Raleigh) shows it heading south of us, vs. last night's northward track.  But it's an enormous storm - 450 miles across - and the NC coast is only 250 or so miles (as the crow flies). 

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »
My friends are now talking about staying in TN Thursday night and going to Greenville Friday morning.

Adds a whole lot of travel but avoids the mess in NC. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »

We did a few long 12-18 hour car trips, straight through, while my wife was pregnant and with infants.  If avoiding the worst parts of hurricane and wanting to go to the wedding, get some 5 hour energies and be prepared to do some driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 weeks is when I needed to pee every 30 minutes to an hour.

That might factor into "how long is the drive going to take?"

I wouldn't go.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
Right now, I'd be in the plan for no, but wait & see if you can change that to a last minute yes (if conditions change from forecast).

Besides the issues of no gas, no supplies, and potential power grid being hit, you may not be aware that during a mandatory evac, they sometimes will close roads/reverse highway lanes so all main arteries are one-way OUT routes. That helps cut down on the people stuck in traffic/running out of gas when people wait for the last minute to all evacuate at once.

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
The most recent models are showing it going right over upstate SC. Obviously it will be nothing like at the coast, but I don't think you want any part of this. I'm half tempted to bug out to my in-laws in North Georgia.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
That's a tough one. It's one thing to be living in the path of a storm, and entirely another to be visiting during one! I had a similar dilemma last year when hurricane Irma was barrelling down on the Florida coast during a family visit. I ultimately decided to get the hell out of Dodge, in part because my relative was (IMHO) underestimating the seriousness of the worst-case scenario.

As it turns out, the storm unexpectedly kissed Cuba and weakened considerably, which left me feeling a bit foolish. But if it had hit as they predicted (and the forecasts kept getting worse and worse, right up until [almost literally] the last flight out), then we could have been stranded in Katrina-like conditions for days or weeks, without even the basic preparations that I have in my own home.

I can't imagine I would have any more confidence in a hotel than I did in my brother in terms of storm prep, so that would factor heavily in my decision here.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:01:18 PM by dcheesi »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
That's a tough one.  With an average hurricane you would be just fine that far inland.  This one's not average at all, though. 

More than likely the direct effects of the hurricane won't be the real issue that far inland.  The two big things will be flooding and the evacuation. 

If Statesville ends up getting a foot of rain in one day, a lot of places will be under water.  Is your in-laws' house there even vaguely in any kind of flood plain?  Roads could become impassable. 

Also, there will be a bunch of evacuees from the coast going everywhere inland.  Do you already have a place to stay in Greenville?  It could get hectic.

You should watch the weather.  Hurricanes are unpredictable, and it could possibly veer in a different direction that makes it a non-issue for where you're going. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
I had to evacuate for Irma last year. If I were you, I would not attend the wedding. In fact, if I were getting married I would postpone my wedding. The Carolinas are very likely to widespread power outages and localized flooding. As people have already pointed out, gas will be almost impossible to find and really should be saved for emergency response.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »
How pissed are you going to be if you go all the way there and the wedding is cancelled?

I'd take the wait and see approach, until we know exactly where it will hit.  But leaning towards not going.

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
I feel really bad for your friends. Sucks to have this barreling down on your wedding day. :(

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
I feel really bad for your friends. Sucks to have this barreling down on your wedding day. :(

Agree.  We had the possibility of some slight rain during the reception and were freaking out.  I feel really, really bad for them, and I'm wondering if their vendor clauses have "act of God" clauses that would allow them to reschedule.

I talked to some of my friends today, most of whom are goofballs like me who generally don't get worried about this kind of stuff, and they are worried.  They're changing their travel arrangements but still plan on going.

This is all really unfortunate.  I really want to go but this seems like it's getting worse, not better.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Would You Cancel Travel Plans (Wedding) Down to NC/SC This Weekend?
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »
Is this area under mandatory evacuation? If so, then no way. If not, see what local officials are saying. If you are hesitant, a pregnant wife is a very good reason not to go.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:17:51 PM by pbkmaine »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
I live in the gulf coast, I have been through many hurricanes - both misses and direct hits. I've sheltered in place for all of them - even Harvey. No freaking way would I intentionally drive towards a zone where there may be severe impact from a hurricane.

I'm pretty sure the distance for Greenville is similar to Austin from the Texas gulf coast, and they still dealt with some pretty gnarly messes in the aftermath of Harvey. https://www.npr.org/2017/08/28/546668862/texas-capital-austin-is-spared-the-brunt-of-harvey-but-it-still-feels-effects

Even if you are in a safe area, if the hurricane remains on course and crosses in the general area, it likely will become difficult to travel due to flooding, electrical outages, downed trees/debris/washouts. And you'll be fighting all the evacuees that are coming INLAND as well, and it will be hard to find food, water and gas and even accommodations. Lots of people died because they drove into flooded roads thinking their cars could make it...

You really have no idea how awful and scary it is if you've never been through it, and subjecting yourself to it on a "maybe it won't be that bad" kind of thing with no experience... no. Hell no.

ETA: I'd wait and see and not leave until Friday morning if signs turn favorable, but I would not travel down unless the storm does a really sharp turn and it's just a rainy weekend forecast.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:04:30 PM by Frankies Girl »

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »
I would not go.

My wife had a very healthy pregnancy, and decided to say "yes" to a short business trip a 1.5 hour flight away from where we live. Doctor had no concerns, and even I admittedly didn't think too much about it.

Murphy's law, stuff happened, she ended up in the ER, without me there (she ended up fine, baby was born perfectly healthy a few months later). Luckily, I was on a business trip myself, with easy access to the airport which was only an hour flight away from her, and I was able to catch the last flight of the day, saving myself a 5 hr drive.

This was in springtime with zero weather concerns. You're considering putting yourself and your pregnant wife in a position where you'd be competing against a catastrophic weather event? I don't see it being a win in any situation unless the storm just completely stalls and dissipates before making landfall by tonight (won't happen).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
Hurricane Bertha went through on the morning of my wedding day.  It was much weakened in my area, so no damage.

It hit the Caribbean the week before the wedding.  All I could think was "wow, the people who honeymooned here last week had a solid week of rain!"

ETA, a good friend of mine was in Cancun when Wilma hit. She was stuck for a week.  No electricity, no food, being shuttled through deep water from shelter to shelter until the condo opened up again. Her "ration" was a can of tuna and a tube of crackers each day.  If it weren't for the locals delivering food she would have gone really hungry.  Her airline refused to honor her ticket (they stopped flying into the airport entirely), and our company bought her a ticket on a different airline to get out... a week later.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:40:13 PM by mm1970 »

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »

Agree.  We had the possibility of some slight rain during the reception and were freaking out.  I feel really, really bad for them, and I'm wondering if their vendor clauses have "act of God" clauses that would allow them to reschedule.

I talked to some of my friends today, most of whom are goofballs like me who generally don't get worried about this kind of stuff, and they are worried.  They're changing their travel arrangements but still plan on going.

This is all really unfortunate.  I really want to go but this seems like it's getting worse, not better.

Have the bride/groom communicated anything? We got married Oct 10, but that day ended up having a blizzard that year because MN :/.  We didn't make a formal announcement or anything but let friends/family know who asked that we were perfectly OK if they felt safer staying home. And this was a run of the mill blizzard that everyone is used to around here, not a 100 year hurricane.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
Reserve plan is to now go to Chattanooga and then Greenville, which is out of the way of most of the storm.

Still dumb?

goldensam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
I live in the gulf coast, I have been through many hurricanes - both misses and direct hits. I've sheltered in place for all of them - even Harvey. No freaking way would I intentionally drive towards a zone where there may be severe impact from a hurricane.

I'm pretty sure the distance for Greenville is similar to Austin from the Texas gulf coast, and they still dealt with some pretty gnarly messes in the aftermath of Harvey. https://www.npr.org/2017/08/28/546668862/texas-capital-austin-is-spared-the-brunt-of-harvey-but-it-still-feels-effects

Even if you are in a safe area, if the hurricane remains on course and crosses in the general area, it likely will become difficult to travel due to flooding, electrical outages, downed trees/debris/washouts. And you'll be fighting all the evacuees that are coming INLAND as well, and it will be hard to find food, water and gas and even accommodations. Lots of people died because they drove into flooded roads thinking their cars could make it...

You really have no idea how awful and scary it is if you've never been through it, and subjecting yourself to it on a "maybe it won't be that bad" kind of thing with no experience... no. Hell no.

ETA: I'd wait and see and not leave until Friday morning if signs turn favorable, but I would not travel down unless the storm does a really sharp turn and it's just a rainy weekend forecast.

+1

I live in Houston and we hunkered down for Harvey, but many of my friends and neighbors moved inland. We knew Harvey was going to be bad, but we had no idea how bad it was going to get. I have friends who are still not back in their homes and it's been over a year. No way would I recommend for anyone to drive toward a hurricane, much less a monster like this one is expected to be.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »
Reserve plan is to now go to Chattanooga and then Greenville, which is out of the way of most of the storm.

Still dumb?

I'd stay out of NC and SC right now.

The state in general will be a bit of a mess because of people trying to evacuate to safer areas. (People on the coast are going to want to get to friends/family on the other side of the state.) Don't be a drain on resources.

Hopefully the risk is overblown, but this storm looks like it will be a very big deal.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:51:43 PM by I'm a red panda »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 05:47:48 PM »
Subject matter expert on rescuing people in exigent circumstances, here. Yes, it's dumb to travel towards Florence.

It's a huge, unpredictable, and life threatening storm. I'm in Charleston, pre-staged for emergency response. I'm in twice daily conference with the weather wonks. There's currently no other weather forces steering Florence, and the National Weather Service doesn't really know where the storm track will go. The hurricane hunters have stopped flying Florence, because it's such a wildcard.

If you decide to go, despite it being truly dumb, you need a very robust risk management system in place. Bail out points and routes identified, with pre-agreed parameters that trigger turning around without further debate or argument. Take all emotions out of the decisions, from the moment you buckle your seatbelt.

Also, be aware that mandatory evacuation means government services are withdrawn. If you get into trouble, 911 will be very sad for you, but there is a real potential they won't have any resources available to help you.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:46:18 AM by Sailor Sam »

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2018, 05:49:44 PM »
Besides the issues of no gas, no supplies, and potential power grid being hit, you may not be aware that during a mandatory evac, they sometimes will close roads/reverse highway lanes so all main arteries are one-way OUT routes. That helps cut down on the people stuck in traffic/running out of gas when people wait for the last minute to all evacuate at once.

Exactly. Stay away.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2018, 06:12:38 PM »
Hard cancel. Go visit after the storm.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »
One of the maps on this page is forecasting that Greenville will be hit by Sunday. It won’t be hurricane force by that point, but Harvey and Irma should have given you an indication of the type of flooding that can happen inland with these storms. I promise that no one will think less of you and your pregnant wife if you decide not to risk it. Visit later, once you know that the roads are passable and infrastructure has recovered.

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »

Still dumb?

Good plan.  The current forecast for Greenville has minimal rain/wind until Sunday, and even Sunday is not currently expected to be anything extraordinary.  Head to Chattanooga and keep an eye on it - prepared to stay in Chattanooga or head home if Florence decides to make a turn towards Greenville.    This is the least I would do for the wedding of one of my best friends, and I am not particularly sentimental.  Make a good faith, but reasonably safe effort to be there in case conditions are perfectly fine in Greenville this weekend.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
You could message the bride and groom your Greenville plan, see how they feel. They might just let you off the hook.

Do they have a clear communication link decided, in which they update guests on developments? For example, maybe they're thinking of rescheduling. if they conclude they need to reschedule, do they have an easy way to tell everyone?  If not, would they find it helpful for you to set one up, and would you have time to do that instead of traveling into harm's way?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:57:18 AM by BicycleB »