Poll

Which health sharing ministry did you choose?

Samaritan Ministries
4 (22.2%)
Christian Healthcare Ministries
4 (22.2%)
Medi-share
2 (11.1%)
Liberty Health Share
4 (22.2%)
Other
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: POLL: Which health sharing ministry did you choose?  (Read 7338 times)

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
POLL: Which health sharing ministry did you choose?
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:23:18 AM »
After debating for years, I think I'm ready to switch to the health sharing model.  I know this has been discussed at length, but I'd like a statistical breakdown on which options are most popular among Mustachians.  From what I've gathered reading threads in the past is that people who made the switch are super happy, and everyone else looking in thinks it's nuts.  I think I have a pretty good handle on pros / cons, so I'm not super interested in rehashing that conversation.  If anyone is super passionate about why they chose a particular option, that would be helpful too.  I'm getting closer to choosing between Samaritan and Medi-Share.  I have connections at Samaritan so there's more familiarity and trust there, but I like the automated nature of medi-share with their automatic bill negotiation, monthly payments, and medical bills submitted electronically.  Although I can appreciate the human element of sending money directly to other members with a note of encouragement.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:14:14 PM by HeadedWest2029 »

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Which health sharing ministry did you choose?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
I have medi-share. It costs about a third of a crap ACA plan, and has a $5000 co-pay. So far I have used it once, and found the limitations on providers to be a huge PITA, and this is in a 500K population market area with that is grossly over-served by the medical industry. On the flip side, the Quest diagnostics lab bill was reduced by 90% with their billing agreement, the primary care doc. was top notch, and they list a major scan and diagnostics center as their only regional provider, and it's five minutes away, so it could be worse.

We spend a third of our year on the road, as snowbirds. My wife has a a Cadillac ++ plan as part of her retirement contract, so she has no issues finding providers anywhere in the states. OTOH, except for emergency care, all available ACA plans available to me are essentially useless, or horrifically expensive, if I would need medical services outside my local market area. A health share plan eliminates this problem.

Your right about beating a dead horse, when it comes to the validity of the whole concept. I had a member here, who was some self-proclaimed insurance expert, that aggressively told me I was making a huge mistake, and would be penniless if a tragedy struck. It was a bit of a chuckle to read as he worked himself into a lather. I guess the fact that these plans have a history of successful operation, and satisfied members, for 3-4 decades is proof how badly they have failed? Good luck, I wish we had the same heath care as every other first world nation, but until then, IMHO, this is the best option.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:04:04 AM by paddedhat »

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
I just signed up for Liberty health share. It doesn't go into effect until next month because I am still covered under employer health insurance.

I have no idea how the logistics will work out, but what I liked about the plan:

- Open to all Christian denominations. They didn't even ask me about this.

- No network of doctors, go to who you want. I'm not sure yet if my current providers will take this. But on ACA, I might be switching plans around a lot every year anyways and who knows if your current doctor will be on the plan. I will cross this bridge when I get there.

- $10k given to your successors upon your death for funeral costs after you have been a member for 2 years.

- Covers international care, as long as the bill is in English and USD.

- Covers naturopathic care, which most regular insurance doesn't.

BTW, shameless plug here, if you refer someone they give that person a $100 credit, so if you go the path of Liberty and don't have another person that referred you and feel so inclined, PM me and I can give you my info for a referral.

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »
Daisy, does it concern you at all about the $1 million cap per incident?  I know the likelihood of an expense over that amount is tiny, but given the other plans have an unlimited option, it was a big strike against Liberty in my analysis.  Granted, it's really hard to do research on medical procedures that would cost over $1 million after negotiations

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
So far I have used it once, and found the limitations on providers to be a huge PITA, and this is in a 500K population market area with that is grossly over-served by the medical industry. On the flip side, the Quest diagnostics lab bill was reduced by 90% with their billing agreement, the primary care doc. was top notch, and they list a major scan and diagnostics center as their only regional provider, and it's five minutes away, so it could be worse.

Thanks for this feedback.  I checked and our preferred doctors and hospital are "in network".  I hadn't thought to check that out yet with Medi-Share.  For those interested...

https://mychristiancare.org/members/find-a-provider/

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
Daisy, does it concern you at all about the $1 million cap per incident?  I know the likelihood of an expense over that amount is tiny, but given the other plans have an unlimited option, it was a big strike against Liberty in my analysis.  Granted, it's really hard to do research on medical procedures that would cost over $1 million after negotiations

Well i just had a buge incident last year in ER and ICU and a coma for about a week and it didn't even come close to $1 million. And then there was the issue of in network and out of network separate deductibles that health sharing doesn't have.

Some of the other health sharing ministries seem to be more limited by Christian denomination which I wouldn't qualify for anyways.

channtheman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: POLL: Which health sharing ministry did you choose?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 05:43:21 AM »
I've got Christian Healthcare Ministries and it seems like it is the most inexpensive plan.  I just did a brief check a day or so ago as my workplace is having an open enrollment period and I compared health insurance rates at work with the other ministries and CHM came out on top from the few I checked. 

I'm in the process of using it for the first time as my wife is pregnant with our first child.   I've submitted all the required documents but have yet to hear anything from CHM.  They say reimbursement is usually 90-120 days and we are only about 50 days in so I guess I shouldn't expect anything yet, but the lack of communication or any word on my file online or via email is a little concerning.  It does seem like some of the other health sharing ministries would be much more convenient with the more "insurance" like method with a card and everything.

I'll have a lot more to say, either positive or negative, after this whole pregnancy plays out.  I do think a more "typical" illness where you go to the hospital, receive treatment, receive an itemized bill and then begin bill negotiations and get on a payment plan would be more straightforward to deal with than this pregnancy has been though.

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »
Welp, we applied with Med-Share today. I'm kind of giddy at the prospect of ditching insurance. Thanks for the feedback. Great timing with the latest MMM post.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
Anyone else on Liberty Healthshare?

I received an email that they are increasing the monthly amount and deductible for the year. The change takes effect in September, so I am not sure how that affects the deductible which is calculated per calendar year (I think).

For singles, price went up from $199 to $249 per month, and $500 deductible went up to $1000.

I still think it's more affordable than the affordable care act plans due to the lower deductibles, even with a low-income subsidy provided on affordable health care plans. And I also like the other portions of the plan, such as no network of doctors and being able to go international and holistic care options.

How do you feel about this?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 10:11:50 PM »
I've got Christian Healthcare Ministries and it seems like it is the most inexpensive plan.  I just did a brief check a day or so ago as my workplace is having an open enrollment period and I compared health insurance rates at work with the other ministries and CHM came out on top from the few I checked. 

I'm in the process of using it for the first time as my wife is pregnant with our first child.   I've submitted all the required documents but have yet to hear anything from CHM.  They say reimbursement is usually 90-120 days and we are only about 50 days in so I guess I shouldn't expect anything yet, but the lack of communication or any word on my file online or via email is a little concerning.  It does seem like some of the other health sharing ministries would be much more convenient with the more "insurance" like method with a card and everything.

I'll have a lot more to say, either positive or negative, after this whole pregnancy plays out.  I do think a more "typical" illness where you go to the hospital, receive treatment, receive an itemized bill and then begin bill negotiations and get on a payment plan would be more straightforward to deal with than this pregnancy has been though.

How did this work out for you?

Warden95

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 04:19:38 AM »
Hey Daisy,
I’m on Liberty Share and even with the increase it’s still way cheaper than any regular insurance plan. I noticed from their newsletters they had a two month shortfall between payouts and “premiums” collected and figured this was the reason for increase. I haven’t had to use plan for anything major yet.

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 01:07:59 PM »
FYI, same thing with Medi-Share.  Monthly household portion / aka premiums went up about 13%.  This after eliminating a few expensive, tail risk maladies from coverage.  Still, way better than traditional insurance cost wise

channtheman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »

How did this work out for you?

Great! 

I  believe the first week of January (or second, can't remember now) we received a check for the bulk of the birth centers costs which was about $5,000.  During the pregnancy we continued to submit bills for expenses as they came up for labs, etc. and received a 2nd check for ~$200 in March.  We are currently awaiting what I expect will be the final check for ~$300.  The CHM gold plan covers 100% of pregnancy costs except for classes and breast pumps.  We didn't even have to pay the expected $500 "deductible."  We have come out ahead by far with this pregnancy claim as opposed to using the insurance I have available at work. 

A comparable cost major medical plan available to me at work has a $6,000 deductible and includes nothing for pregnancies so this entire thing would have been out of pocket expense on top of paying the same monthly amount.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »
Awesome and congrats on the new addition to your family. :)