Author Topic: Where would you put washing machine and sink?  (Read 1859 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Where would you put washing machine and sink?
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »
Hello,
I want to put a half bath in my laundry room. I'm going to get a stack able washer and dryer (27"by27"). I'm flexible on sink size. Where would you want to put a washer/dryer and sink if you were designing it? Any opinions? I attached the blueprint. Let me know if it's hard to read. This is my first time using Autocad.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where would you put washing machine and sink?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:58:41 PM »
Is that a hot water tank next to the toilet?  Does your entry into the room have to be on that side? 

If it stays as is, you don’t really have enough room.  You’ve got 49” wide and probably 30” deep for the washer dryer.  Remember, you have to get your vent and plumbing behind the unit as well.  That leaves you with 19” for your “hallway” to get to the back.  That doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 10:15:29 PM »
That is a hot water tank. I guess the water tank could be moved, but wouldn't that be very expensive? I do have an empty closet on the other side of the house that I could put the water heater in.

The toilet is not existing. I put it there in the drawing because I thought it would be better than on the perpendicular so there is enough clearance in front of it. On the perpendicular wall the toilet would have exactly 21" which could possibly be approved for a permit.

The entry could be moved. The wall that has a picture of the water heater and toilet against it is the outside wall, and... well I think I will attach another drawing. I'm open to anything. I'm also planning on renovating the kitchen and walls can be moved over there too.

My goal here is to make the house comfortable for three to four adults. There are currently two adults now.

Why would the washer dryer be 49" wide? The stack able is 27 inch wide. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/size-stackable-washer-dryer-unit-85463.html
I think the shallowest depth I can get is 27" which is 3 more inches for the "hallway" but still tight. There is currently a washer and dryer in there. The wall could be moved back but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Washer and dryer plumbing exists.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:18:08 PM by mozar »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 05:10:11 AM »
I wouldn't want a toilet actually *in* the laundry room, but YMMV.

In my basement I have a half bath that opens off the laundry room. It's got a toilet and a shower. It originally had a weird sink in the corner of the shower, but I had that removed and put in a laundry tub in the laundry room part. It's a weird arrangement, but actually much more practical.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:00:00 AM »
That is a hot water tank. I guess the water tank could be moved, but wouldn't that be very expensive? I do have an empty closet on the other side of the house that I could put the water heater in.

The toilet is not existing. I put it there in the drawing because I thought it would be better than on the perpendicular so there is enough clearance in front of it. On the perpendicular wall the toilet would have exactly 21" which could possibly be approved for a permit.

The entry could be moved. The wall that has a picture of the water heater and toilet against it is the outside wall, and... well I think I will attach another drawing. I'm open to anything. I'm also planning on renovating the kitchen and walls can be moved over there too.

My goal here is to make the house comfortable for three to four adults. There are currently two adults now.

Why would the washer dryer be 49" wide? The stack able is 27 inch wide. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/size-stackable-washer-dryer-unit-85463.html
I think the shallowest depth I can get is 27" which is 3 more inches for the "hallway" but still tight. There is currently a washer and dryer in there. The wall could be moved back but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Washer and dryer plumbing exists.

Your room is 49” wide.  Less 30” for washer dryer.  Leaving you 19” of working space.  You probably won’t be able to open the doors on those things. 

The only way that room works is if the door is on the long wall. 

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
Also, you’ve had a lot of posts lately on your remodel work.  It sounds like a lot of this is still in planning stages and you’re struggling with layouts and the construction process.

This might be the time to call in a local architect or GC to plan some of this out. We can only give you general or poor advice without actually being on site at your home.

There are dozens of more specific questions I’d have on all of this work if I was actually there.  Moving your h20 tank? Could be easy, could be incredibly expensive.  Where is the supply plumbing? Gas or electric? Vented through a chimney?  I can go on and on. 

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 08:00:53 AM »
This might be the time to call in a local architect or GC to plan some of this out. We can only give you general or poor advice without actually being on site at your home.

This is good advice.  A friend helped his neighbor squeeze a new bathroom into their house.  It was so tight that to sit on the toilet they have to have their feet inside the shower pan.  Poor planning equals poor outcome.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
@Cranky the reason I want to put the bathroom in the laundry is because I talked to the director of permits about putting a toilet under the stairs and he said it would be impossible in my house, but he would humor me if I sent plans.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
@Cranky the reason I want to put the bathroom in the laundry is because I talked to the director of permits about putting a toilet under the stairs and he said it would be impossible in my house, but he would humor me if I sent plans.
What’s the floor under that current laundry/h20 tank room? Concrete slab?  You need to get a 3” waste line in for a toilet.   If it’s slab, you’re going to have to jackhammer out the concrete and run new lines.

Were you thinking you could tie into the laundry plumbing? If it’s relatively new, that’s probably 2”.   If it’s old, maybe 1 1/2” pipe.  Is it vented?  Where does that drain to? A floor drain or your main dwv stack? If you are on a crawl space with room to move below, you would have to re-plumb the room to get the toilet in, then tie in the washer off of that.  If it’s not vented, you’ll have to do that too.

So many questions. Putting in a new toilet is NOT an easy or cheap option.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
you can get a toilet with the sink built into the top of it to save space there. 

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »
@PapaBear the plumbing is pretty new for the washer dryer. The house is all electric, it's a wood floor with a crawl space.
I don't think it is a floor drain or vented.
I didn't think it's easy or cheap.
My neighbor spent 450 on architect plans and they weren't able to get a permit so I'm trying to come up with some plans myself before I talk to an architect. I live in an hcol area so it's hard to get contractors to talk to. I have called 2 plumbers and they haven't gotten back to me and an electrician called me this morning and told me he refuses to work with my hoa anymore (they are a nightmare).

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »
you can get a toilet with the sink built into the top of it to save space there.

I was going to suggest this as well.  Living in Japan, these were everywhere, as were SUPER tiny sinks when they were separate from the toilet.  I don't know if that would be up to code in the US, but it would definitely help with what looks to be a very awkward lay out currently.  The toilet/sink combo might hurt resale, if that's a consideration.

You mention a closet across the house.  Could you put the stackable w/d in there instead (plumbing and venting would of course be a consideration)?

Also, if you can't put the toilet under the stairs, what about the w/d?  Not only does that (or using the closet) help make your bathroom design work, but I think many people don't like having the w/d in a bathroom, so for resale purposes if that matters, it could be better. 

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
With a room that small, everything needs to be about saving space. Get 24" stackers or an all-in-one. Note that you want a condensing dryer so you can save the 5" on the back for the venting. Your clothes will take twice as long to dry. Get a tiny powder room sink, swap the water heater for a tankless (if you get the all-in-one perhaps you can put the tankless above the w/d and save some floor space), and replace the wall with a new wall that can accommodate a pocket door so you can get off the toilet without the door swing making you climb over it. You don't have the toilet clearance otherwise in front of it and from side to side.

I think that's a lot of sacrifice and cost (I would estimate about $14K including permits and finishes) to add a toilet.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
All good ideas. I'm going to make blueprints for each of them.