Author Topic: Where to rent in Colorado?  (Read 2178 times)

APBioSpartan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to rent in Colorado?
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:59:38 AM »
Hello, fellow Mustachians! 

My wife and I (25/26 years old) are interested in moving to the Denver/Boulder area soon.  She is currently interviewing for jobs out there and my job allows me to work 100% remote.  Does anyone have any recommendations on affordable places to live near Denver/Boulder that would still suit our lifestyle?  We are looking for an area that is walk-able/bike friendly that has lots of safe running routes for my wife.  Ideally, we would also like to be near a few breweries and adventure.

Our list of priorities is as follows.
Good town/neighborhood
Walk-able/Bike Friendly (We only have 1 car)
Affordable
Dog Friendly

We hope to visit soon and would like to consider the options presented in this forum. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:10:16 AM by APBioSpartan »

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
Re: Where to rent in Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:01:07 AM »
APBioSpartan, most of the communities along the US36 Denver to Boulder corridor have the amenities you are seeking. None have "cheap" rent.

First, I would follow MMM's recommendations on living within few miles of your wife's office / job. Although the rebuild of US36 has greatly reduced commute times, time in the car can greatly reduce the overall quality of life. In general, you can expect to pay $1,500/m for a larger 1BR, and $2,000/m for a 2BR in newer apartment complexes. (outside Boulder prices) Houses are hard to find.

Boulder is crazy expensive these days, and you will pay $$$ to live in a small place, but it is a great town. There is plenty to do within a few miles. Since it's a college town with high housing costs, it's a bit hard to get connected in the community until you have been there a few years. (I lived in Boulder for almost 20 years.)

Louisville and Lafayette have a more of a traditional feel with lower rent. The feel of Westminster is traditionally more "burbs," but the downtown core has picked up more character. I have never understood Broomfield, and always thought it was more of collection of housing developments and shopping malls, but I haven't spent a lot of time there.

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »
For biking trails & routes in the area, get a copy of the DBTC (Denver Bicycle Touring Club) "Bicycling the Greater Denver Area Route Map."  You want the 2016 edition with color photos on the front. You will likely need to go to a local bike shop to find the newer version. REI has been stocking the 2011 version which does not include the newer routes along US36 and lightrail lines.

This map provides detailed information on the variety of bike trails / routes available in the metro area. The legend lists "Paved Onstreet Routes," "Unpaved Onstreet Routes" (there are actually none marked on the map!), "Paved Offstreet Path/Sidewalk," and "Unpaved Offstreet Path." It also shows parking areas, RTD park & ride, and light rail stations.

There is an insane amount of off street, protected bikeways and multi-use trails between south Denver and Longmont.  The new US36 bike path allows me to bike from my home in downtown Denver to Boulder with less than 2 miles on streets, and most of that 2 miles was with separate bike lanes. There are multiple options for "off street" century rides.

canyonrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »
The location of your wife's job will be the key here. For example, you do not want to be living in Boulder if she has to commute to the Tech Center, Aurora, etc. (or conversely, living in Denver with a commute to Boulder could be even worse). I think you need to figure out where she's working before you can hone in on the best location to live.

If she has a job northwest of Denver or on the US36 corridor, the obvious choices based on your criteria are Boulder, Louisville, Lafayette, and Longmont. Renting in Boulder is actually not that expensive relative to those other towns, and for a couple in their 20s with no kids might be worth the slight premium. (Buying a place in Boulder, however, is a different story.) Although depending where you are coming from, you may not find any of these communities "affordable."

Edit to add that as a runner, I would choose Boulder or Louisville over any of the other places mentioned. Better trail access and variety, as well as a bigger running scene (races, clubs, etc.) if that's important to your wife.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:15:03 AM by canyonrider »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
Wyoming.

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
For dating in your late-20's, you want to be in the core city neighborhoods of Denver. Specifically: LoDo, Ballpark, Highlands, Union Station, "UnNo" (Union Station North, formerly Prospect) RiNo (River North) and Uptown.

If a higher gay presence doesn't bother you, add CapHill and Cheesman to that list.

All these neighborhoods are vibrant with many restaurants and pubs.

Beware, these are the observations of a 54 yr old homo in Uptown.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!