Author Topic: Where To Find A BIFL Fleece Bathrobe?  (Read 4670 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Where To Find A BIFL Fleece Bathrobe?
« on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:11 AM »
I hate shopping, even online. I need to replace my 15-year-old fleece bathrobe. I like fleece because it hugs the body better, stays wrapped/tied, is warm without being bulky, holds its shape, and dries fast. I'm willing to pay a decent amount, because I want it to last. I don't really expect to Buy It For Life, but a good decade or so would be nice.

Perfect robe will be:
- high quality polarfleece
- ankle length
- no hood
- preferably collarless
- have on-seam pockets, not patch pockets

This happens to be the exact description of my current robe, which came from Macy's. I've looked at Lands End, LLBean, Duluth Trading Company, Sierra Trading Post, The Company Store, and a zillion Google suggestions, to no avail. Puh-leeze don't make me go to a mall, horrors!

Has anybody seen anything anywhere that might work?  Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Where To Find A BIFL Fleece Bathrobe?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 05:58:20 AM »
What has worn out on your current fleece bathrobe?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »
Nothing specific. It's just getting shabby overall and the fabric is starting to thin everywhere. I wear it every day. In my pre-FIRE days there were entire work from home days where it never got exchanged for street clothes. And if I'm sick, it only comes off to wash.

I got married six years ago. DH never wears a robe of his own, because he's a get up, shave, shower, get dressed including shoes kind of guy, whereas I'm a hang out in my robe until I have to get dressed type. Occasionally he wears mine for a few minutes. As I'm writing this, he just got up and put on my robe to do something at the other end of the house. He kept it on while he shaved, then took it off and placed it on the bed for me before he got in the shower. Whatta guy!

All this potential TMI is to say that this robe will not be removed from service, just semi-retired. I'm sure DH will still use it, because it's a drab, battleship gray, and when I find a new robe, I'm going to order it in a cheerier color.

Thanks for asking. All suggestions welcome.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
https://www.ugg.com/women-apparel-robes/marlow-robe/1099130.html

Kinda pricy but is this close to what you are looking for?
Damn it, now I want one...

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:45 AM »
What you are looking for is a "housecoat" not a robe.  My mother used to have a couple of those, in the days before fleece.  Back then they were mostly terrycloth but occasionally could be found in quilted cotton.  Meets most of the requirements , except usually below the knee to mid shin and often but not always had patch pockets. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
I received a robe from Victoria's Secret that might be too bulky for you, but VS might have something similar to what you're looking for.  The robe was a bridesmaid's gift, and my friend celebrated her five year anniversary this summer.  I wear the robe ALL winter, and it looks brand new. 

Also, if anyone is looking for warm "socks" to wear around the house, I recommend Pudus. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
Hmm. My fleece robe is pretty old and I wear it a lot in the winter. I like it because it's pretty lightweight, so I think that's a factor - thin or heavy? Flat fabric, or fuzzy? (there are different types of fleece.)

Simpler is probably better in terms of long term wear, and fleece should last a long time. Polyesters are very long lived!

You can't go wrong with LLBean or Land's End, but something from Target will probably last as well, as long as you keep your eye out for their terrible skimpy seams.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
I know that you are looking to purchase a robe, but do you sew?  I've made several kids' robes out of high quality polarfleece that I bought from Malden Mills. I'm not an expert seamstress by any means, but these were very easy... The fleece doesn't ravel, so I didn't have to do anything special like serging the edges.  Crooked and uneven stitching doesn't show up much either. Quite a satisfying project.

Polartec by the yard:
https://www.millyardage.com/default.asp

Here's an adult pattern:
https://www.amazon.com/K3209-Robes-Sewing-Pattern-XS-S-M-L-XL/dp/B00889QKHW

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
This in a long might work, other than having a collar -

https://www.marksandspencer.com/fleece-long-sleeve-dressing-gown/p/p60178545?image=SD_02_T37_2281Q_WE_X_EC_90&color=DARKAUBERGINE&prevPage=plp

My slightly different version (has a fleece belt not a silky tie) is still pristine several years in.

DT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
Bed, bath and beyond

DT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 08:56:18 PM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 12:41:30 AM »
What you are looking for is a "housecoat" not a robe.  My mother used to have a couple of those, in the days before fleece.  Back then they were mostly terrycloth but occasionally could be found in quilted cotton.  Meets most of the requirements , except usually below the knee to mid shin and often but not always had patch pockets.
Nope, 100% not a housecoat. It's a robe that crosses over in the front and ties with a self belt. Lol, my mom wore housecoats too. In fact, I bought one for my MIL a few years ago, by "Miss Elaine".  Lightweight, quilted, zip front with a matching nightgown. She still wears it. Good guess, but not a housecoat.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 12:52:17 AM »

Holy shit, Batman, that's it! @Free Spirit nails it! But OMG that's crazy expensive. The main reason I want a new one is I am tired of the drab color. The first option is kind of a possibility, but it's sold out in everything  but XS, which does not describe me. So spendy + pretty blue color, I think I could manage, but spendy and still drab... I dunno. Hmmm.

Seriously, how do you find this, Free Spirit?  I am impressed! Now, I know UGG is an Aussie company. I wonder if more colors are  available to our friends Down Under?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »
Hmm. My fleece robe is pretty old and I wear it a lot in the winter. I like it because it's pretty lightweight, so I think that's a factor - thin or heavy? Flat fabric, or fuzzy? (there are different types of fleece.)

Simpler is probably better in terms of long term wear, and fleece should last a long time. Polyesters are very long lived!

You can't go wrong with LLBean or Land's End, but something from Target will probably last as well, as long as you keep your eye out for their terrible skimpy seams.
Alas, LLBean came up dry, and the one at LE has patch pockets, a shawl collar and terrible reviews. The reason I don't like the shawl collars is the weight of the shawl makes the robe gape open, which is not great if there are no pajamas underneath. And there typically are not.😏

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 01:21:10 AM »
I know that you are looking to purchase a robe, but do you sew?  I've made several kids' robes out of high quality polarfleece that I bought from Malden Mills. I'm not an expert seamstress by any means, but these were very easy... The fleece doesn't ravel, so I didn't have to do anything special like serging the edges.  Crooked and uneven stitching doesn't show up much either. Quite a satisfying project.

Polartec by the yard:
https://www.millyardage.com/default.asp

Here's an adult pattern:
https://www.amazon.com/K3209-Robes-Sewing-Pattern-XS-S-M-L-XL/dp/B00889QKHW
Wow, @Poundwise, that's a trip down memory lane! My sister had that robe in a peach color when we were kids. I do sew, and I love, love, love Malden Mills. They have a great backstory, which I am sure I learned about in a Lands End catalog. I did not know they sold direct. Good fleece is a dream to work with, but I'm not sure if I could get the neck/front to lay flat. If you look at the link to the UGG robe from Free Spirit, you'll see what I mean. I really like the crossover style, because I get cold easily and I like the double layer in the front when it's wrapped and tied. Still, this is a very intriguing idea, thank you!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 01:36:46 AM »
Does your current one still have a readable tag so you can search for the brand?

If the UGG is the only alternative you can find, consider waiting until after the holidays when it is likely to go on sale. 

When I searched Amazon for the Ugg Marlow robe to see if it was cheaper or had more colors (no and no), Amazon suggested a bunch of similar items.  It might be worth it for you to try that search and go down the rabbit hole of suggested items to see if any work.  Most of them are much, much cheaper.   But here's one that might work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019F7ALBG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B019F7ALBG&pd_rd_w=eG0Ay&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=Z9LRD&pf_rd_r=K70R6MYVFE74BCPHXZFJ&pd_rd_r=cac7ab56-fac3-11e8-abd2-cdd24367c782

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 01:37:54 AM »
Thanks, everyone. Your suggestions are awesome. I really appreciate the help! I feel like I'm nitpicking, but dang it, I just love the robe I have. I wouldn't replace it, but I'm starting to feel like a raggedy old bag lady in it.

I've noticed that when I have a vague idea of what I want, it's generally easy enough to find. But when I have a strong, clear vision in my mind, I can't find it anywhere. Then, after I compromise,  it suddenly seems to crop up everywhere.

I am grateful to have this FWP and invisible, magical, internet friends who are willing to help. I know my robe is out there somewhere. With your help, it will be found. Maybe when we find it, I'll post a pic of my in my new robe and DH in my old one. It would be even better if we were posing in front of the Christmas tree. This year's tree, with any luck.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »

Holy shit, Batman, that's it! @Free Spirit nails it! But OMG that's crazy expensive. The main reason I want a new one is I am tired of the drab color. The first option is kind of a possibility, but it's sold out in everything  but XS, which does not describe me. So spendy + pretty blue color, I think I could manage, but spendy and still drab... I dunno. Hmmm.

Seriously, how do you find this, Free Spirit?  I am impressed! Now, I know UGG is an Aussie company. I wonder if more colors are  available to our friends Down Under?

Damn, I knew there would be a catch! I love the pink color best too. Wonder if any other retailers that stock uggs might have some options? I hope you are closer to finding what you are looking for at least.

And, finding it was easy because I am also a Lady Who Lounges, a connoisseur of comfort if you will. Seriously, nothing beats a good cozy robe. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
While you are looking, why not dye your present robe?  Tintex can brighten up your life.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »
While you are looking, why not dye your present robe?  Tintex can brighten up your life.
It's an option, but the fleece is starting to thin, so the overall integrity of the robe is in question. Besides, if it stays gray, DH is more likely to take it over, which could be good. Last night, for example. Here's what happened while most of this continent was sleeping...

I woke up around 11:30. Went to the bathroom. Smelled something burning. Grabbed the trusty robe and started looking for the source. Burning smell was really strong in the kitchen/great room. Hollered for DH to wake up and help. It took him a while, because he had to pull on jeans and a sweatshirt. Ugh. After much frantic searching, including him climbing into the attic where the furnace is, we located the problem. It was the dishwasher. Seems the motor was in the process of burning out. Great timing. Since we bought this crazy custom clown house, built in 2006, we've had major problems with the built-in microwave and the Dacor range/oven, necessitating replacement or expensive parts for repair. Both times in December. Do you sense a theme here? If I am going to afford a $145.00 robe, major appliances have got to stop breaking.

Okay, back to the robe search, with renewed vigor. But first, the library book sale today. Hmmm, I think I'll cross post this to my journal. It's a story I'll want to remember, which is the whole point of journaling for me.

Thanks for your help, keep the suggestions flowing. Who knows what will happen next?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
How about this FREE pattern?  https://mellysews.com/2014/12/sew-robe-easy-tutorial.html

I would not bother with all the tucking in of hems.  Just fold over your fleece and sew that seam. I am sewing a smaller version of a similar pattern for my daughter.  I cut out the pieces some time ago, but maybe I can do some assembly and take photos so you can see whether the front lies flat enough for you.  In fact hold on, I'll soon post snapshots of a robe I sewed for my son some time ago so you can see the finished product.

Okay, here they are. The fleece is not Malden Mills, just some sale fleece from the craft store so it has aged poorly,  plus it has been worn by two boys and overheated in the dryer.  But you can see the details of the neckband and how my crooked stitching and pinked hems still look okay from the other side. These can be put together in half a day.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:38:09 AM by Poundwise »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 10:13:10 AM »
Oh, I like this idea. Adding pockets would be easy enough. I suppose I could just use my existing robe for a pattern as I like the way it fits. Great suggestion, @Poundwise!

In related news, DH found a dishwasher that matches our existing appliances. Just one. It's a special purchase "on sale" at Lowes and HD for "only" $898.00. Alas, neither can promise stock before Dec. 22nd.

YHD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
nordies and dillards have the ugg marlow in happy colors at larger than xs sizes.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
Lol, I worked at Nordstrom for a decade. It's totally not on my radar any more. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
@Dicey Great, at least it's always an option if you can't find what you want at a decent price.  I was disappointed to find that Malden Mills has left Lawrence MA, and also they don't have as great a selection of prints as they used to. They used to have a little factory shop, and I got some very charming children's prints there back in the day.

But you can still probably find a decent solid color for a good price in their seconds section.  I'm thinking you'll need about 3 yards but you should check to be sure. Make sure you align your cuts with the stretch of your fabric (if you haven't used fleece before).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
I second the suggestion to use your existing robe as a pattern and sew a new one with fleece in a color and pattern you love. You don't even need to cut it up -- I'd fold the existing robe carefully and trace around it. Plus -- fleece doesn't ravel, and the cut edges look OK, so you can decide if you want to hem it and/or finish interior seams or not.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
I agree to sewing a robe.  Fleece is about the easiest fabric ever to sew, as long as you don't get the triple thick stuff.

I had a very specific robe need last year -- a summer robe, with lots of coverage, that I could answer the door in , maybe take out the trash,(no naked outlines), in madras cotton (because we have no A/C).  The only way to solve it was to make my own, and I am out of practice sewing.  Good news is that it is for home use and my sewing flaws do not matter.

So, just buy more expensive quality fleece material and you will be very happy with the final product.   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!