Author Topic: Where to buy OXO pop canisters at a good price? Also dry goods discussion  (Read 11405 times)

Healthie

• Stubble
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy some quality dry goods containers for nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. I've seen these and they look great: sleek, lightweight, poptop airlock, I've heard they keep food fresh and they have a ton of good reviews on amazon. I want ~15-18 and they're anywhere from 12-15$ or more each for the small ones. Anyone seen these cheaper somewhere or could recommend a similar product?

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have seen them at TJ Maxx for much cheaper than that, but you never know if you'll find a particular something at TJ Maxx.

I do most of my dry goods storage in mason jars with the canning lids. They seem just as airtight as the oxo pop canisters or even more. For bigger quantities, I use those glass storage jars with the metal bail lids, picked up where I found them cheap over time. Mason jars are available in sizes up to 64oz which should do for most of your dry goods and are way cheaper than the oxo pop tops.

I do have one of the pop tops which I use for flour but I've got my eyes open for a good, cheap replacement for it. The plastic scratched up really easily and got cloudy. Long term I don't think it was a great buy. I think the only reason I would choose the pop tops over my glass jars in the future would be some kind of hand/wrist issue where turning a jar lid is problematic, like carpal tunnel or arthritis.

Pro tip: glass jars left over from food purchases, like spaghetti sauce, are acceptable mason jar substitutes for every mason jar function except actual canning. And are free.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Mason jars are great, and if you have a vacuum sealer with the right attachment, you can also vacuum seal 'em (and keep resealing them) using standard canning lids.

Ebrat

• Stubble

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
I use mason jars for most things, and splurged on white plastic screw on lids for them - I see the lids are under $3 for a set of 8 lids at target.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
+1 on mason jars. $15 for a storage jar sounds like a scam. I get mason jars for literally cents at my thrift store.

Interestingly I didn't know this was a common use for them - I first saw them on pinterest for taking salads to lunch but then realized independently that they would be great for storing my grains/powdered foods.

Lookilu

• Stubble
I've actually got my eye on the OXO containers as well. My local Costco is selling a boxed set of them for $44.95, but I'm hoping that they'll mark them down a bit.

BigRed

• Stubble
I'm looking for a good one for flour that I can put a new 5 lb bag of flour into even if I haven't fully used what's in there now.  I use a 4 qt OXO Pop canister now, but it fits pretty much exactly 1 5 lb bag of flour.  It has a nice wide opening though, which is nice.  Anchor Hocking makes a good 1.5 gal jar it looks like, but it's $15.  Seems high.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I use mason jars a lot, but they only go up to about 2L in size before getting very heavy/expensive.  They also aren't great for storing dusty staples like flour, even the wide-mouth versions can't always fit a 1 cup measuring spoon.

Maybe I'll check what costco has to offer.

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Not sure where you live, but I bought mine at Kohls.com   If you time their sales right, troll the internet for promo codes and time it for when they offer Kohls cash, you can do pretty good price wise.  If you arent' in a hurry to buy them all at once, you can work the Kohls cash ($10 Kohls cash for every $50 spent) to your advantage and buy them in spaced out purchases. Thanksgiving weekend is ideal for purchase, they offer $15 Kohls cash for every $50 purchase, plus a percentage off.  Also, use Ebates for your purchase which gives you an additional 6 - 10% in cash back. To be honest, I haven't priced them anywhere else...maybe there are better prices elsewhere.

If you have never used Ebates before it's great way to get more money off of online purchases, I have used it for several years, if anyone wants my referral link, PM me, you get an additional $10. I don't want it to look like I am spamming...I just love Ebates. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:48:05 PM by ChicagoGirl »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
Re: Where to buy OXO pop canisters at a good price? Also dry goods discussion
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »
We have bought any assortment of different OXO pop top canisters at TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Marshalls, or I think Ross. We got those big ones for about $12 and the smaller ones much cheaper. The Costco deal is okay, but price it out individually and it might be more expensive compared to the above discount stores.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
Could have been me asking this question a couple of years ago. My advice is to wait. Don't be afraid if they  don't all match. I have now amassed a combination of Mason Jars, Snapfit, Rubbermaid, Tupperware and apothecary jars, all purchased far below retail. Every container is attractive, so the overall effect in my pantry is pleasing. Garage and estate sales + patience are a winning formula.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:47 AM »
I got a couple on sale a while back, and now I wish I had gotten more at the time because they are expensive. They're also really handy and easy to clean.

I'm following to see if anyone has the answer. :)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 06:14:40 AM »
It occurred to me that if I was going to costco to buy a gallon sized storage container, I'd check the cost of the empty container against the cost of a gallon jar that has something yummy in it. Can you get a gallon of pickles in a glass jar with a wide mouth for cheaper than just the jar alone? What about a gallon of mustard?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!