Author Topic: What to do with about $100k from selling a rental-- Buy new house, invest?  (Read 3146 times)

discodarwin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ok, hopefully I give enough information to get some thoughts and ideas.
I live in Arizona.

I am about to sell my rental in another state-- should net me appx. $100k before taxes.
Unfortunately, because I had a foreclosure 4 years ago, I can't get a loan for a new rental, so I can't do the 1031 swap unless I found someone willing to do owner financing (from my understanding-- but that's pretty much out.)

So, I'm considering two options, hoping someone can do some math to help me out, or recommend alternatives.

After taxes, I'll have about 80k to play around with.

Here are a few options I thought of:

Option One:  Take that 80k, and put it into taxable Stock market index funds  (I'll already have my IRAs and 401k full this year)

Option Two:  The house I live in now is worth appx. $380k, and I owe $180k.  I am pre-qualified for a loan of $280k for an FHA loan to purchase a new house for me to live in (can't be a "rental", under FHA).  I could buy a new house (I'd probably buy one for appx. $400k @ a rate of 4% to stay in my current neighborhood, which is 3 miles from my work and friends/family live here) and then rent my current house.  My current mortgage is $1235, and I could rent it for appx. $2000-$2200 or so.  I would have to put the $80k down from the sale of my rental as a down payment for the $400k house, plus probably $40k in cash (or a HELOC on my current residence) to make up the difference, since the max FHA loan here is about 280k.

Option three:  I also could sell my current house, combine that with my rental sale proceeds and have a mortgage of about 100k.

As a side note, I'm 39, have appx. $200k in IRAs/401k/Investments. earning around $110k, and trying to invest $36k a year right now overall (also trying to increase this amount and be more mustachian).
Planning to probably retire when I'm 50 to 52 or so.  Only debts I have are my mortgages (and a student loan of 20k at a 0.75% rate).

Thoughts?  Other ideas?  If someone could help me figure out what the probable outcomes in maybe 15 years from now, that would be awesome... when it gets to rents increasing and all the other math, I reach out for some help  :)

I realize option 2 may deserve a face punch, since I'm upgrading my house, but I know it would at least be offset to some degree by the extra cash flow and principal paid off (plus appreciation) by turning my current house into a rental-- plus the tax benefits.  Thoughts?

discodarwin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What to do with about $100k from selling a rental-- Buy new house, invest?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
annnnnyone?  :)  hellllp

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:34:03 PM »
This is a no brainer to me. Buying the 400K house is lifestyle inflation. I'd get a smaller house and minimize my living expenses for the most expensive item people spend money on: housing. You say you want to save more, but you are considering increasing your housing expense. How is that going to help you save more?

Your current house will make a great rental, as far as monthly cash flow. I'd downsize and rent the house out, but no way I'd buy an even bigger, fancier house. I've played that game, but I played it with an eye to a long term investment and eventually turning it into a rental. But right now, with the market slowing I wouldn't make an equity play again, in fact, I'm looking at houses with MIL apartments close to commuting routes, transit, and in walkable neighborhoods. Yes, there is some grime dealing with city living that is walkable, near transit, etc., but it reduces my cost of living drastically while also being an income producing property at the same time.

That said, buying the bigger house will probably work out fine in 15 years, which is the horizon you gave, but you will see greater benefit and flexibility during that time, by downsizing and not increasing your lifestyle. I've experienced lifestyle inflation like crazy as far as housing, but I knew it was only going to be temporary, and was being purchased with an eye to investment. Having made 58k off the purchase in 16 months, about 95% of my investment amount, it was a good play. But it could have gone the other way as well, and when things go the other way, the economy sours, etc. it's better to have a cheap place to live so you can ride it out during hard times, rather than be sitting on a million bucks in real estate you cannot afford, cannot find renters for, and cannot sell....

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:42:47 PM by Bearded Man »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
You haven't really told us much about your personal situation (family, partner, kids, elderly dependent parents etc.) which may affect what is sensible. 

I'm not hearing that you are unhappy with your current house in any way, and you want to stay in the neighbourhood.  The transactional costs in moving seem to me to outweigh any marginal benefit in a real estate investment as against putting it in the stock market.

Personally, I'd stick the money in a Vanguard index fund and forget about it until I needed FU money (which is pretty much what I am doing with the proceeds of selling my rental, except that I am past the stage of ever needing FU money).

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
I don't know much about 1031s, but I feel like it's worth it for you to research them more since you could potentially save $20,000 in taxes. Why sell a $380,000 house to buy a $400,000 house in the same neighborhood? There are hefty fees involved every time you buy and sell a house.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:27:25 PM »
How about option three: pay off your student loans, then put the rest on your mortgage, and finally use the cash flow you freed up from no longer servicing the SL to increase your investments? With one fairly recent foreclosure under your belt, it may be a good idea to not rush into any more real estate deals. Investing in something like VTSAX will get you market returns without dinging you for not having perfect credit.

discodarwin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
Great replies so far, thanks everyone! 
So I think I'm going to be able to avoid most of the taxes from the rental sale, because in the 16 years that I've owned the house, I have put in a LOT to upgrade it (all covered by the rents collected, but still) because it was built in 1927 (!)
So I won't have to do a 1031 after all.  Whew.

As for more about my personal situation, I've got 2 small kids, (3 and 2) a wife that stays at home with some small business art on the side (for now)... once she starts working full time again (in 2-3 years), we'll put 100% of what she makes into investments.   Our parents on both sides are doing fine for now, thank goodness. 

I'm mostly leaning towards sticking the money into VTSAX... but if I see a house that I am *super* interested in, maybe make the leap and buy it, and turn my current house into a rental to offset.  It increases my leverage, but with as much equity as I'd have in either property, I'd not be *as* concerned about the possible risk. 

As for paying off the student loan... since it is at such an incredibly low rate (0.75%!), wouldn't it be better for me to invest the money in VTSAX?