Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029670 times)

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5200 on: December 31, 2015, 07:54:18 AM »
My parents came to visit and insisted on getting takeout (which I don't buy) then insisted on leaving me the leftovers : )

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5201 on: December 31, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
I dug a healthy milkweed plant from a city-managed ditch and transplanted it in our yard. The city maintenance workers will mow it down as a weed, but they are the food plant for our native monarch butterfly caterpillars and it will be cherished in our yard.

While I was digging the hole for the milkweed I found a forgotten Japanese sweet potato. It weighed in at one pound! Washing and curing it for dinner sometime soon.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5202 on: December 31, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
Yesterday and today were nice, quiet home days with my boys.

I made focaccia yesterday to go with the homemade chicken soup for dinner; have half a loaf and several meals of soup left over (yay). Been doing little things around the house, and reading, and playing board games.

Calculated final savings for this year - 65%! I am beyond thrilled. My goal for next year is 70%.

The boys have their friend over for a sleepover; I made steaks, potatoes, and broccoli for our New Years Eve dinner.  We played a fun game (Smart Ass, which is hilarious). Our neighbor called to let us know they will be setting off fireworks a little later, so that should be fun.

Since I have found MMM, I am noticing just how much I enjoy my life. :) Even if, some days, I am "just" home. Home is a pretty awesome place.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5203 on: December 31, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »
Braved a shopping centre yesterday to pick up Christmas cards at half price.

Currently scoping out sales at both major supermarkets. Planning a big bulk shop of cleaning products, toiletries, staples, etc, so we can start the year with stocked cupboards. That will save us money down the track when work is chaotic.

I'm with Tamster - contentment is very easy to come by these days. And this thread is wonderful at encouraging me to find joy - and savings - in the little things.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5204 on: January 01, 2016, 01:23:05 AM »
I used glass jars that I had already to display my range of teas so I didn't need to buy new canisters.:)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5205 on: January 01, 2016, 02:08:54 AM »
Friends got given an eggplant (homegrown? dunno) but they don't eat eggplant. So they gave it to us because it is one of my favourite vegetables. However, my tastebuds are currently completely borked. DH cut it into cubes, nuked it in the microwave for 5 minutes to reduce the bulk and then has put it in the freezer. When I'm back into cooking and eating normally, I will chuck it into a stew of some sort.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5206 on: January 01, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »
Let's see if this works with the pictures. I had a gorgeous walk this morning ~ no one was out in the 'hood. We live right on a pond, and it was just lovely with the sun glinting through the clouds.

We are watching the Rose Parade, with snacks, so dinner will just be something easy. Later on I will bring the boys' friend back home. Fireworks were great last night. My oldest said "gee Mom they must spend thousands on fireworks." I replied with a grin, "aren't we lucky we get to enjoy them?"

Happy New Year!

Edited to add: first pic is of a small nest.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5207 on: January 01, 2016, 01:04:15 PM »
Glad your potato harvest was good.  If you have any disease issues in your area, Carol Deppe warns against this - the diseases get a foothold.  But in a disease-free area, it is a great way to get potatoes.

Dug about 30-40 pounds of potatoes from my garden. The original 'seed' potatoes were left over from the previous year's harvest, so this year I didn't have to buy any to plant. About 1/3 done digging, lots left to go. Hope the snow holds off a few more weeks!
We had a church pot-luck tonight. My wife made potatoes with parsley.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5208 on: January 01, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »
I bought a small soft herb cheese round for a Christmas party - delicious but expensive, even at Costco.  So I looked at the ingredient list and bought plain soft goat cheese (3 times the weight for the same price) and added dried onion, garlic, and parsley.  Delicious.  Next time I will chop some chives for it as well.  A bit crumbly as well, maybe just a drop of cream to hold it together?

Funny story - I feel like my retirement is luxury living - my sister thinks I am doing so well financially because "you have always been so frugal".  Not frugal - just prioritizing where my money goes.  Herbed soft cheese with gluten free tortilla chips does not feel frugal. 

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5209 on: January 01, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »
I'm not eating herbs at the moment (tastebuds are temporarily broken) and DH is eating some but not much. One of the basil plants I planted in spring is going nuts and about to flower. So I harvested two big handfuls, washed the leaves and put them in two small containers in the freezer for when my tastebuds work again.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5210 on: January 01, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »
* Disassembled, cleaned, sharpened, oiled and reassembled my Fiskars bypass pruners ALL BY MYSELF. In the past I have taken them to a garden equipment supply shop to be maintained, but last spring I went to a "Repair Cafe" and learned how to disassemble scissors and shears. I should be able to do this myself in the future. Next I might tackle the big loppers. I also have a scythe that I love that I don't think I'll be able to sharpen without a stone, so I may pay to have that sharpened.

* Came into a free retractable clothesline (long story, but let's call it a bank error in my favor), and installed it today in our little laundry area by the back door. It is currently drying three adorable pairs of toddler underwear. Big stuff needs to still go outside, but it will work wonders for small loads! Each air-dried load should save us $0.25.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5211 on: January 01, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
Replaced the plug end on my heavy duty, 100' extension cord that got cut by the electric pruners this fall.  $5 part vs. new $50 extension cord.

Heading to Lowe's later since it's the last day for one of my $10 off coupons and I still need some odds and ends for the house projects I'm finishing up.  Will return a few items I ended up not needing and get about $20 back.

Took a retrospective 2015 look at my spending in Mint and identified areas where I can will save gobs of money next year.

Have been organizing and decluttering the house, which has yielded extra storage containers that I've repurposed, negating the need to buy any new storage stuff.  Also unearthed parts I can use for projects instead of buying new items.   I even found two fancy pairs of ski socks I'd totally forgotten about, and will be using with my riding boots the rest of the winter.

Started kimchi and apple cider vinegar ferments from ingredients I had on hand.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5212 on: January 01, 2016, 03:33:48 PM »
Bought dried beans (instead of tinned) for the first time. They are soaking as I type.

Saved $18 by parking on the street instead of the hospital car park when I drove my husband to Emergency at midnight. He was cleaning a chef's knife and it slipped and gashed a finger. Two hours, a local anasthetic, and two stitches (out of pocket: zero).

I just finished cleaning up the crime scene in the kitchen.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5213 on: January 01, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
Fixed the washing machine. It was making funny noises while doing the laundry and then flashed up an error message and stopped. Checked it out on the internet and then spent 30 minutes draining it and cleaning out gunk from the detergent pump (mostly just limescale from the very hard water we have here.)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5214 on: January 01, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »
Bought dried beans (instead of tinned) for the first time. They are soaking as I type.

Saved $18 by parking on the street instead of the hospital car park when I drove my husband to Emergency at midnight. He was cleaning a chef's knife and it slipped and gashed a finger. Two hours, a local anasthetic, and two stitches (out of pocket: zero).

I just finished cleaning up the crime scene in the kitchen.

Ouch, poor husband! Hope he's recovering well. I've had 3 visits to emergency (with the last one resulting in being admitted for 2 days) in the past 6 weeks. I am eternally grateful that there are no out of pocket expenses for emergency visits in our country. Only cost to me was getting a few scripts for antibiotics filled (and that was $6.10 per script because I hit the safety limit).

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5215 on: January 01, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »
Made my own sushi for the first time!  (all veggie)  It was so easy and cheap!  This will be something a little different to add to the homemade lunch rotation.

Made use of free gym to work out earlier.  Also signed up for two free yoga class sessions for next week. 

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #5216 on: January 01, 2016, 11:29:09 PM »
Glad your potato harvest was good.  If you have any disease issues in your area, Carol Deppe warns against this - the diseases get a foothold.  But in a disease-free area, it is a great way to get potatoes.

Dug about 30-40 pounds of potatoes from my garden. The original 'seed' potatoes were left over from the previous year's harvest, so this year I didn't have to buy any to plant. About 1/3 done digging, lots left to go. Hope the snow holds off a few more weeks!
We had a church pot-luck tonight. My wife made potatoes with parsley.

Yep, I rotate locations in a pretty big garden, hope to keep that problem down. If any bug does come in, I'll stop planting potatoes for a few years, or use a different location with new seed. Ended up with over 200 pounds of potatoes, a bunch of daikon radishes, onions and various other things. It was an unusually good year.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5217 on: January 02, 2016, 06:57:34 AM »
-Found a way to put parking for classes onto DH's student account, so that his employer will reimburse the parking as part of paying for the masters. This will save us ~$125/month.

-Tracking my mileage for work commuting so that I can have the appropriate records for writing off the non-reimbursed portion. The IRS is particular on how you format all that, so I'm glad I looked it up BEFORE starting my records.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5218 on: January 02, 2016, 07:14:21 AM »
I did the same with my garlic - the bulbs were pathetic, so I just left them in the garden for the winter.  They have roots, and should get off to a much faster start next spring.  Here's hoping!

I think Carol Deppe was talking about soil diseases, so you should be good with the rotation.  I tried sweet potatoes for the first time last summer, but any roots I missed will definitely be dead by now.  It looks like 14 plants will have provided me with enough to take me through spring.

We have a gardening thread over on Throw Down the Gauntlet if you are interested.

Yep, I rotate locations in a pretty big garden, hope to keep that problem down. If any bug does come in, I'll stop planting potatoes for a few years, or use a different location with new seed. Ended up with over 200 pounds of potatoes, a bunch of daikon radishes, onions and various other things. It was an unusually good year.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5219 on: January 02, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
Instead of letting an order go through on some pants for DS on amazon, I cancelled it and went to the thrift store instead.  Found pants.  Bonus:  I got a nice bike ride in and the pants are here already. :)

spruce

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5220 on: January 02, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
I really want to be better about sending birthday cards to close family and friends just to let them know I'm thinking about them. I saw a thing on Pinterest awhile back where you set them all up at the beginning of the year in a box with labels to help you remember.

So, this afternoon I went to a local reuse store that sells all kinds of crazy donated knicknacks (The Scrap Exchange, for any local Durhamites) and after rummaging through their bins of random cards I found 16 birthday cards with envelopes and a pretty little tin to organize them in for a total of $1.80.

Hooray! Now just to remember to send them out when it's time...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5221 on: January 02, 2016, 02:18:39 PM »
I really want to be better about sending birthday cards to close family and friends just to let them know I'm thinking about them.

I send over 100 cards each year for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

My system: I have a box of dollar cards at home, a few cards in my desk at work, and postage stamps in my wallet. The dates are in my diary. Each week I look ahead to see what is coming up, and I write and post the cards accordingly.

It really does mean a lot to people, especially our grandparents who live all over the state.

Good luck with your plan. It's a lovely thing for you to take on, and so easy once you get in the habit.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5222 on: January 02, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
The grapefruit I bought today cost 9 cents. Paying attention to rebates and coupons and maintaining meal flexibility is my goal in '16 fo sho.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #5223 on: January 03, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »
I polished my leather shoes, to ensure they'll last longer and look good longer.  And shined the fake leather ones, which makes them look better, but I don't think helps them last.
As a child my (military) dad wanted us to do this weekly. I manage it about quarterly, but still see benefits.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5224 on: January 03, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
Had 6 people over unexpectedly for both lunch and dinner yesterday. I made pizza for lunch and burgers (from the freezer) for dinner. Other than the burger patties, everything was other made from scratch (pizza dough and burger buns) or leftovers from other meals we've had this week. Total cost for ingredients was about 20$ for everything consumed all day by 8 people, assuming we had been buying for the meal.

Basically: used up leftovers, didn't spend money, and didn't have to leave the house to drive to the grocery store. Win!

Also I spoke to the librarian last week and got access codes to get books. Free reading for meeeeee!

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #5225 on: January 03, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »

So, this afternoon I went to a local reuse store that sells all kinds of crazy donated knicknacks (The Scrap Exchange, for any local Durhamites) and after rummaging through their bins of random cards I found 16 birthday cards with envelopes and a pretty little tin to organize them in for a total of $1.80.

High five! I love the Scrap Exchange (another Durhamite here). This is a good idea for greeting cards.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5226 on: January 03, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Today I'm saving money by lazing about my parents' house like an overgrown college kid on break--eating their leftovers and using their stamps (with permission) to send Christmas cards. I'm supposedly cat-sitting, but one of the cats used to be mine.

I went to a vigil Mass yesterday because I was already in town for another errand, so today I am not using any gas. I'm also using cards I bought in previous years. I tend to buy cards when I see them on sale but then forget that I already have a bunch at home, so I have partial boxes of seven different designs. The trouble is trying to remember which people might have already received which card. I'm planning to busy myself here with writing and paperwork and Downton Abbey and maybe a little walk, so it should be a no-spend day.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5227 on: January 03, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
 Making more bread, and also cooking Thai-flavored rice for meals later in the week. For the rice, I cut a can of coconut milk with a can of water to make cheaper light coconut milk, as one does. However, the can had separated, so I had to dump the whole batch in the blender  to smooth it out. Came out just fine, though.  The flavored rice will probably go with a stirfry tonight and then with refried rice later in the week.  Actually, tonight might be a potato dish because I have potatoes I need to use up.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #5228 on: January 03, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »
I've been buying an unfortunately necessary pharmacy product (preservative-free eye drops) from my grocery store up till now, but saw today that they were $1.50 cheaper at Walmart. So I bought two boxes. I had a coupon from my previous package, which I used to buy the first; then I opened that one, took out the new coupon, and bought the second. Saved $3 from what I had been paying before, and $9 off retail. Thanks, Walmart!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5229 on: January 03, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
Met a friend for coffee at McDonald's rather than a higher priced coffee shop.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5230 on: January 03, 2016, 06:00:55 PM »
Bought stamps on ebay for 80% face value :)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5231 on: January 03, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »
Made a lovely steak salad nicoise for DH and me:

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5232 on: January 03, 2016, 06:42:35 PM »
Pbkmaine, that looks delicious!

I had a good day today. We went out to breakfast with my parents this morning (their treat). This was sufficient until dinner for me (which was a mug of my homemade chicken soup).

The boys went over to their other grandparents' house for the dismal Patriots game in the pm (ex-ils, I suppose, technically). I did laundry, got some tax things together, and went for a walk - the blue sky was lovely.

Just got the kids settled; they are unhappy vacation is over, champing at the bit for dragging out bedtime with stories. I do try and accommodate them, especially when it relates to their dad (ex) who is deceased. They like hearing about when we were younger, and what funny things we did. And truly it is good for me to remember fun times too.

So all in all, a nice low-spend productive day.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5233 on: January 03, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
I want that salad!

Avoided the urge to go to the grocery store and made up breakfasts of homemade yogurt and frozen fruit, and lunches of egg salad, raw veggies and leftover soup.

Shampooed carpets using our Bissell, which as paid for itself a couple times over vs. having a pro come in (does a great job)

Left some homemade canned goods at the stable for the barn staff as a little extra along with cash tips - though it just occurred to me that the jars might freeze and break overnight.  Doh!  Hope they're OK.

Looked up a Crossfit WOD and did the same basic workout in my basement while blasting The White Stripes

Burned firewood and kept the furnace from kicking on much if at all.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5234 on: January 03, 2016, 08:41:31 PM »
Just got the kids settled; they are unhappy vacation is over, champing at the bit for dragging out bedtime with stories. I do try and accommodate them, especially when it relates to their dad (ex) who is deceased. They like hearing about when we were younger, and what funny things we did. And truly it is good for me to remember fun times too.

That sounds like it could be very emotional for you, so good on you for sharing for your kids' sake.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5235 on: January 03, 2016, 08:45:06 PM »
Back to work today. A few colleagues took home their Christmas gifts from the company but left the gift bags, which I just claimed. Hey, I'm saving a tree. Well, maybe a branch... :)

detailoriented

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5236 on: January 03, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
I glued and pressed together my wife's favorite spatula which broke while making Christmas dinner.   It will not last forever but it gives her time to shop for a sale or used replacement.

DO

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #5237 on: January 03, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
Bought loose-leaf tea on a recent trip to Vietnam, but was surprised to find it in "single-serving" packages when I opened the box. The tea maker's idea of single-serving was significantly larger than ours, so I opened all the packages and dumped the loose-leaf tea into an old tea tin. We'll get at least 50% more cups of tea out of the box than if we just used the packages.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5238 on: January 04, 2016, 12:58:38 AM »
Snow day here, so I was "forced" to stay inside and make soup and declutter.  No money spent today.  And there is soup for the week :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5239 on: January 04, 2016, 01:53:03 AM »
so I opened all the packages and dumped the loose-leaf tea into an old tea tin

Brilliant!

skiddieleet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5240 on: January 04, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »
So my master bathroom is over twice as far away from the hot water heater as my guest bathroom, and I have a mud sink even closer.  I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking about washing my face in the mud sink or guest bathroom to greatly decrease the time the water needs to run for hot water to reach.

I don't think it would save that much money, but from a water conservation perspective I'm pretty sure I could save a few gallons a day, every day.  Not sure if my wife might think I'm crazy if I switch sinks just to wash my face.  Also, if she still uses the master bathroom it negates the benefit, so we'd both have to switch.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5241 on: January 04, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
Talked Brother out of using my spatula to scrape his windshield, thus preventing needing to buy a new spatula. *eyeroll*

Finally decided to buy Kirkland toilet paper. I didn't want to buy any before trying it, which obviously isn't the easiest product to test out before purchase! Luckily, noticed a relative uses it over the holidays, and it got the DH stamp of approval. Much cheaper per roll than anything else I've found that DH is okay with.

Used up the broccoli florets that were languishing in the fridge. I trimmed off the bad parts, and the rest were fine. Used cabbage rounds so there was enough veggies for everyone.

jordanread

« Reply #5242 on: January 04, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
Finally decided to buy Kirkland toilet paper. I didn't want to buy any before trying it, which obviously isn't the easiest product to test out before purchase! Luckily, noticed a relative uses it over the holidays, and it got the DH stamp of approval. Much cheaper per roll than anything else I've found that DH is okay with.

That took a bit of time for me as well before the SO was willing to give it a shot. We just finally got some a couple months before halloween, and if she didn't like it, we were going to TP a few complete neighborhoods. Turned out that she liked it though.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5243 on: January 04, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »

That took a bit of time for me as well before the SO was willing to give it a shot. We just finally got some a couple months before halloween, and if she didn't like it, we were going to TP a few complete neighborhoods. Turned out that she liked it though.

It's funny how hard it is to change something like TP! We were still buying the Trader Joe's stuff. Smaller rolls, AND more expensive.

Also, this year I plan to separate out household goods like TP from the grocery budget, so I know how much we're actually spending on each.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5244 on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »

Sounds like either option was a win. 

I'm contemplating a Costco membership.  We could save about $13/bag on dog food.  However, we only go through 5-6 bags/year.  Due to the ridiculous lines and location, we would probably use Google Express to deliver ($4.99/delivery) the order. 

Today, I packed breakfast, lunch, and snacks for work. 
Made tea at work. 
A coworker gave me more tea as a gift.  I make tea by the pot to share, but I've received so much tea that I don't think I'll need to purchase tea again for at least 6 months. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5245 on: January 04, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »
I've been sick the past week, little appetite and no energy to go for groceries.  I don't know that I've ever had the cupboards this bare.  Sad way to save money, but I'll take it.

Yesterday I finally ventured out of the house and walked to the 100 year old theater downtown to see Star Wars.  My brother tried to take me to see the Imax for $20, but it was sold out.  I had a very different (but utterly amazing) experience in 70 mm for $6. 

(and.. uh.. I'm going back again later this week...)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5246 on: January 04, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
I've been sick the past week, little appetite and no energy to go for groceries.  I don't know that I've ever had the cupboards this bare.  Sad way to save money, but I'll take it.

Yesterday I finally ventured out of the house and walked to the 100 year old theater downtown to see Star Wars.  My brother tried to take me to see the Imax for $20, but it was sold out.  I had a very different (but utterly amazing) experience in 70 mm for $6. 

(and.. uh.. I'm going back again later this week...)
Sounds like fun!

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5247 on: January 04, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »
Mustachepungoeshere, thank you for the kind words. It gets easier over time, I've found.

Very small things today -- a small list at Walmart later (less than $20), before picking up youngest after school. I've been getting more tax stuff together. The heat is down and I'm having tea. My sister gave me a super gift for Christmas - a Selk Bag. It is essentially a person shaped sleeping bag that you can walk around in, even outside I guess. Of course, I am using it to stay cozy when the heat is down inside the house. :) She did not understand why I was so thrilled.

Dinner is easy, homemade pizza with thawed pizza dough.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5248 on: January 04, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
Saved $198 (compared with Aus prices) by putting in an Amazon order to be sent to my husband's hotel while he's in the US for work next week.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #5249 on: January 04, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
Last night made lunches for the week:  low carb chicken enchiladas made with $1.49/lb boneless chicken breast from Aldi, cream cheese, green chilis, sriracha sauce, onion, and sharp cheddar.  After it's done baking I pack it up into 5 lunch size tupperwares and into the fridge.  Also bought a 1 lb container of spring mix to go with it. 

I really like not having to think about lunch when I'm getting ready for work.