Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029735 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4850 on: November 16, 2015, 06:24:22 PM »
Had to take the kiddos to the pediatrician for flu shots and an exam. Parked at the meter ($2) instead of in the associated underground parking lot ($8). Bonus: Fresh air and sunshine instead of steering kids through a dark dangerous car dungeon. Double bonus: DS5 most likely doesn't have the potentially disfiguring disease I was worried about. Whoo!

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #4851 on: November 16, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
Asked the library to order a copy of a movie I have been wanting to see instead of pressing the instant click rental purchase on amazon. The wheels of my rationalization machine drive me over financial cliffs in $2.99 at time increments! ;)

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #4852 on: November 16, 2015, 07:04:33 PM »
Home grown tobacco!
Talk about your waste of money, feeding a bad habit with cash is the stupidest!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4853 on: November 16, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »
I love that we are on page 100 of small things! The small things add up!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4854 on: November 16, 2015, 08:14:12 PM »
Y'all. I mended a hole in the toe of my tights.* I MENDED TIGHTS, Y'ALL.

*To be fair, the mend in the actual hole was excellent and held, but I didn't go far enough with the mend up the run that had developed, which continued to work its way up all day. So the tights are still ruined. But I see this as totally OK, because I KNOW I CAN MEND TIGHTS!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4855 on: November 16, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
Woke up early to cook myself breakfast because my usual grab and go options are gone!

Used my back-up lunch in my office closet because I forgot to pack my lunch.

Used free tea to brew several pots of tea at work.

Had breakfast for dinner (yeah, I really need to grocery shop)

Put two previously prepared meals (lunch and dinner for tomorrow) from the freezer to the fridge

Snuggling with my dog while drinking a hot cup of tea instead of turning on the heat.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4856 on: November 17, 2015, 07:35:04 AM »
I didn't have a prepared lunch for today, but rather than going, "fuck it," I went, "we can make this work."
Hummus and carrots and an orange and a bag of spinach will totally do as some disjointed but very healthy lunching!
(I work directly downtown in the land of delicious but expensive food carts. Not going, 'fuck it,' and getting a falafel is willpower I tell you.)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4857 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:48 AM »
Made a pot of tea with free tea.
Had a few co-worker provided cookies for "breakfast"
Packed my lunch
Yoga in my living room with a youtube video this morning

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4858 on: November 17, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »
Had a walk outside on my break rather than the usual mid-morning snack. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4859 on: November 17, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
Walked 1.5 miles to work to sew on 2 buttons.  Earned me $5, didn't want to spend most of that just driving my car there and back!  Absolutely lovely day for the walk too.

As a bonus I ran into an old coworker and chatted for a bit :-)

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4860 on: November 17, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
Made an overdue big grocery shopping trip, but thanks to a strategic combo of sales, digital coupons, online rebates, and paper coupons, I scored a bunch of staples for cheap, including:
* 18-oz moisturizer: 49 cents
* 32-oz shampoo: 99 cents
* 12-oz box of cereal: 24 cents
* 3 cans of lentil soup: 33 cents each (Cheaper to make, but husband really loves the canned variety, so it's good to have as a backup.)
* 30-oz jar of mayonnaise: 75 cents
* 2 10-oz bags of frozen cauliflower: 42 cents each
* 3 5-oz boxes of fancy organic salad greens mix: $1.67 each

And my favorites:
* 2 12-oz boxes of pasta: free
* 1/2 lb of fresh green beans: 2-cent profit
* Heat-and-serve Indian-style meal thing: 25-cent profit
* 12-oz shampoo: $1 profit
* Plus a coupon for $5 off my next purchase (Which is good, since it's our main store)

I've started spending a bit more time comparison-shopping than I probably should, but I like to think of it like the grown-up version of Concentration. I figure I'm exercising my memory while matching up bargains.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4861 on: November 17, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »
Also sold a book for $24 pure profit, as I hadn't personally paid for the book in the first place.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4862 on: November 17, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »
Made an overdue big grocery shopping trip, but thanks to a strategic combo of sales, digital coupons, online rebates, and paper coupons, I scored a bunch of staples for cheap, including:
* 3 cans of lentil soup: 33 cents each (Cheaper to make, but husband really loves the canned variety, so it's good to have as a backup.)

And my favorites:
* Plus a coupon for $5 off my next purchase (Which is good, since it's our main store)

I've started spending a bit more time comparison-shopping than I probably should, but I like to think of it like the grown-up version of Concentration. I figure I'm exercising my memory while matching up bargains.
I'm always so impressed with couponers.  Way to go!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #4863 on: November 17, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »
Made tea at work with leaves left behind by some mysterious prof.
Got free pizza for lunch because the student association ordered too much (I paid them back by offering free grad school advice).
My "Eat the fridge" supper was a pretty good basic chowder.
Found a quarter on the ground! Second day in a row!

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4864 on: November 17, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »
Cut the grommets off the edge of an unused red curtain panel. Hemmed the side and transformed it into a tablecloth for Thanksgiving dinner.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4865 on: November 17, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »
Shared a car with my wife. I went to work and she spent the day shopping. She spotted a gas station with $1.99/gal gas and topped off the tank. Everywhere else in town it's 20cents higher.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4866 on: November 17, 2015, 07:54:32 PM »
Arranged to work from home tomorrow, and also two days next week.

Talked with a friend who runs a daycare, and she can register as a Scholastic books provider, which means that I can get a few books I'd been eyeing for my daughter for 1/3 of the Amazon cost, and she gets a percentage of the money I order for to get books for her daycare. Win/win. :)

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4867 on: November 17, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
Talked with a friend who runs a daycare, and she can register as a Scholastic books provider, which means that I can get a few books I'd been eyeing for my daughter for 1/3 of the Amazon cost, and she gets a percentage of the money I order for to get books for her daycare. Win/win. :)
Hi Foxy. We got lucky once when a teacher had a garage sale. My daughters got all sorts of books/maps/posters she had been collecting over a long career.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4868 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »
Supported a community service project with 100% recycled and found materials.  No money spent . . . for an effort that will hopefully lead to $100+ in donations. 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4869 on: November 18, 2015, 11:06:09 AM »

And my favorites:

I'm always so impressed with couponers.  Way to go!

Thank you! Doesn't happen all the time, but some weeks work out well.

Recent small things:
* Thawing blueberries I'd frozen from a super-sale 2 summers ago.
* Planning to use some harsh bourbon that husband bought a while back in chicken-mushroom stew tonight.
* Saving through proactivity: Transferred a dozen eggs from a carton that didn't fit fridge door properly to one that does.
* Emailed supermarket and online rebater about $1 (each) discount/rebate that failed to be deducted properly.
* Got insurance quotes for 3 different possible relocation locations to add to price comparison calculations.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4870 on: November 18, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Bought a half gallon of sale eggnog.  Froze three pints for future use.  I love steamed eggnog and coffee.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4871 on: November 18, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Discovered we'd accidentally left 3 cooked boneless pork chops out all night last night. (Whoops.) Husband and I conferred and decided to risk it, so I re-seared all the exposed surfaces on way-high heat, diced 'em up, tossed 'em into seasoned sauteed mushrooms and onions, splashed on the cheap bourbon, covered with broth, and boiled the hell out of it all for 20-ish minutes (i.e., reduced the broth). Mixed it all with leftover chicken, and our chicken-mushroom stew has become shredded chicken with pork-onion-mushroom sauce. Going to serve topped with sour cream and scallions (including the dark green parts -- why do recipes always exclude them?).

During the process, I felt grateful for saving money, not just for salvaging a couple of bucks on the pork, but for having given me the opportunity to work from home, which gave me the extra time to deal with salvaging the food. If I'd had my old traditional day job and 3-hour commute today, I wouldn't have had the time or energy left to deal with the issue.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4872 on: November 18, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
Discovered we'd accidentally left 3 cooked boneless pork chops out all night last night. (Whoops.) Husband and I conferred and decided to risk it...

'We' left out most of a store BBQ chicken on Monday night. I didn't risk it...

My chicken and salad lunch for the next day became just salad.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4873 on: November 18, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
My very, very small thing for today: unsubscribing from e-store mailing lists.

I signed up for a few to get various '$20 off first purchase/30 per cent off first purchase/free postage on first purchase' offers to pick up a few Christmas gifts.

Now that that is done, I don't need the temptation or clutter in my inbox.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4874 on: November 18, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
Discovered we'd accidentally left 3 cooked boneless pork chops out all night last night. (Whoops.) Husband and I conferred and decided to risk it...

'We' left out most of a store BBQ chicken on Monday night. I didn't risk it...

My chicken and salad lunch for the next day became just salad.

Had someone else cooked 'em originally, I definitely would have tossed 'em. But since husband had overcooked them anyway (yeesh), more cooking couldn't actually make the texture any worse. :) If I don't check in tomorrow, though, we'll know I've killed us.

re: email lists: I have an extra email address that I use exclusively for making purchases. That way if I end up on a mailing list, I don't even need to bother unsubscribing since I never read anything in that account anyway. (Inbox 9999+, baby.) If I ever suddenly feel the need to organize for some reason, I can just kill the account and open a brand new one.

For non-purchase-related, there's also this beauty, if you haven't already heard of it: http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4875 on: November 18, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »
I stopped at the grocery store after a long day of work (and a missed lunch due to me taking the wrong container in the morning) to grab a can of diced tomatoes for my Chili, and I didn't buy a 20oz Coke! 

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4876 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
Over the last few days:

Remembered to fill out the paperwork to cut off 403b contributions and push all my pay instead to the 457 plan. If I'd waited one more paycheck, my 403b would have been too maxed out for the full contribution.

Got one pumpkin reduced to dried powder. Acquired a new one yesterday (see attached photo). Got another one baked today after work, along with a tray of seeds. Found out pumpkin skins in fact do NOT make good dehydrated chips. Ugh. The internet lied to me.

Got two pairs of clearanced free shoes from kmart, threw out the old ones they are replacing. I'm not sure what they were thinking, sending me a $10 off coupon for a $10 shoe purchase.

Made an outstanding pumpkin coconut curry, which earned high praise from the husband. ("You can't even taste that it's pumpkin.") Making pumpkin fries at the moment.

We're visiting my daughter for thanksgiving, and I made my first ever airbnb reservation - and managed to pay for all three nights with recycled money. (Money I already spent for groceries but got back as rebates through the ibotta app).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4877 on: November 18, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »
1) Pulled some frozen homemade sausage patties from the freezer to add to dinner of egg burritos instead of ordering in. Having a grumpy day because I had a lousy sleep so I'm glad I could muster something up to feed the troops.

2) Every 5-8 years we get a big family portrait done which costs around $1000.. Ack! I know, right?! This year we had a photographer friend do the photo ($200 sitting fee) and got a wrapped canvas from picaboo for $90. I'm just as pleased with the result as I have been in other years and spent So. Much. Less.

3) Kids are using up fridge leftovers galore! Yay! No waste.

4) New lights for the Christmas tree bought by son with his employee discount.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #4878 on: November 18, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
Walked to local museum slash art gallery for free night. There was a cool event on where they rolled out a huge map of the (Canadian) Arctic and geographers stood on their research site and you could ask them about their work. One of them showed me home video of  cool critters that live in deep Arctic water.

Plus if you talked to enough of them, they gave you a map, and I did, so they did.

Had the heat down low all day, so I had to keep my jacket on for a while when I got home!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4879 on: November 18, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
Walked to local museum slash art gallery for free night. There was a cool event on where they rolled out a huge map of the (Canadian) Arctic and geographers stood on their research site and you could ask them about their work. One of them showed me home video of  cool critters that live in deep Arctic water.

Plus if you talked to enough of them, they gave you a map, and I did, so they did.

Had the heat down low all day, so I had to keep my jacket on for a while when I got home!

All very cool, one way or another.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4880 on: November 19, 2015, 03:56:29 AM »
-Hung a load of washing to dry in the beautiful sun
-scrounged around and made myself potato fritters for dinner with the last 2potatoes and egg.
Even made ketchup to top with by blending a can of tomatoes with some seasoning and sugar (not brilliant but edible).
-DS needed a bear costume for Drama- I bought a $2bear and matching $4white fluffy throw rug from a secondhand store, did some bear surgery (he didn't survive) and made an awesome bear costume for cheap!
-a work friend brought in a bag of fresh cherries he was given, and told me I was free to any unrated home at the end of the day - walked away with a pound of fresh cherries-yum!
-made the switch from coffee to green tea, saving $7-$15/month!

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4881 on: November 19, 2015, 06:35:31 AM »
Sold some baby items on kijiji for $20.

Ran out of granola at work for breakfast so I had to buy it from the café downstairs (bad, I know).  But I got myself an egg on an English muffin ($3) instead of the bagel with smoked salmon ($6) that I really wanted.  Lunch is leftovers, as it has been all week.

A big one (posted in a separate thread on this page), but I successfully negotiated 1 hour less in the office per day without taking a pay cut.  I'm thrilled.  Less of an evening rush with my young kids! Sanity!  It's a 3 month trial period but I'm obviously going to work my butt off to make sure it's seamless.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4882 on: November 19, 2015, 07:00:08 AM »
*Eating out the fridge all week. Some fish and broccoli tonight, a shrimp risotto tomorrow, and then we'll really need to go grocery shopping because there is practically NOTHING in the fridge. (What a waste of energy!)
*Made sure to take DH's unlimited transit pass the last two days when I was running around town for medical stuff, rather than my pay-per-use pass. He used mine for his commute one day, and he worked from home the other.
*Still don't have the heat on, and our utility bills have been accordingly awesome. (Although we're supposed to get snow this weekend, so I may break down...)

Here's a dumb one on how I didn't save money: I didn't have our HSA debit card with me when I went in for a doctor's appointment Tuesday, so I paid out-of-pocket for the co-pay. It's silly, but I was still a little peeved at myself for not remembering it. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4883 on: November 19, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »
Changed my tires to winter tires all by myself! I bought rims last year so that I wouldn't have to pay someone twice a year to change the tires. In the spring my boyfriend was here and helped me change them. This time it was all just me. It shouldn't be that big of a deal since I learned to change tires as a pre-teen, and have done it before with flats. But never all four of them at once, and never by myself.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4884 on: November 19, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
Here's a dumb one on how I didn't save money: I didn't have our HSA debit card with me when I went in for a doctor's appointment Tuesday, so I paid out-of-pocket for the co-pay. It's silly, but I was still a little peeved at myself for not remembering it.

You can reimburse yourself from your HSA.  Just keep the receipts together in case you get audited.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4885 on: November 19, 2015, 09:23:49 AM »
I biked to work, realized that today was street sweeping day on the street I'd parked on ~2 weeks ago, so I biked back to save myself from a $200 tow+ticket.  I hate street parking.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4886 on: November 19, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »
Chose to be too lazy to make lentil soup last night, telling myself it would be fine to buy lunch for one day.  Woke up this morning feeling guilty about it and brought the crockpot to work and will eat when the lentils are ready this afternoon. 

It will make enough for tomorrow's lunch, too - which will just stay over night in the fridge :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4887 on: November 19, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »
Yesterday, I had to run a mystery errand for a family member downtown (which ended up with me on a roof of a historic building unbolting a satellite dish --THANKS FOR THE WARNING GUYS "go pick it up" they said-- and then carrying it down 6 flights of stairs ohmygodIamgladIliftweights and now my family owes me so much) so I drove DH to campus and picked him up later, saving on parking fees.

Bought new Dr Bronner's soap from target- free shipping and today they have 20% off bath and body (code "ESSENTIALS" if anyone needs anything) and used a gift card from the wedding to buy it- $7 for 16oz, great price for that since a 16 oz bottle lasts us like 2 years.

Making a soup for lunch so I can use leftover rice from yesterday.

Looked up our energy usage for last month- 755kWh, which is below average, but I'm not thrilled about it. Had DH help me find the info, though, so now he's got some buy in about our usage levels. With Brother traveling, maybe this will result in a lower bill next month.

Used Ibotta to get $0.50 on a gallon of milk, which was already on sale for $1.99. And now we're at $10 on the app so we can cash out to PayPal. Not a fortune, but it's easy enough to enter things.

Going to stock up on cranberries at our next grocery trip while they're on thanksgiving sales. <3 ALL the cranberry applesauce!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4888 on: November 19, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
Yesterday, I had to run a mystery errand for a family member downtown (which ended up with me on a roof of a historic building unbolting a satellite dish --THANKS FOR THE WARNING GUYS "go pick it up" they said-- and then carrying it down 6 flights of stairs ohmygodIamgladIliftweights and now my family owes me so much) so I drove DH to campus and picked him up later, saving on parking fees.

Bought new Dr Bronner's soap from target- free shipping and today they have 20% off bath and body (code "ESSENTIALS" if anyone needs anything) and used a gift card from the wedding to buy it- $7 for 16oz, great price for that since a 16 oz bottle lasts us like 2 years.

Looked up our energy usage for last month- 755kWh, which is below average, but I'm not thrilled about it. Had DH help me find the info, though, so now he's got some buy in about our usage levels. With Brother traveling, maybe this will result in a lower bill next month.

Used Ibotta to get $0.50 on a gallon of milk, which was already on sale for $1.99. And now we're at $10 on the app so we can cash out to PayPal. Not a fortune, but it's easy enough to enter things.

Going to stock up on cranberries at our next grocery trip while they're on thanksgiving sales. <3 ALL the cranberry applesauce!
Have you checked into the other apps?  I seem to find the ability double for very little extra time.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4889 on: November 19, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »

Have you checked into the other apps?  I seem to find the ability double for very little extra time.

I've used checkout 51 and don't like it. They just increased cashout to $20, and haven't updated their rebates in forever. Way fewer rebates, too.

What other apps do you use?

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4890 on: November 19, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »
Didn't spend any money, was working from home today.
Made all meals: homebaked bread and an Apple in the morning, a vegetarian burrito with salad for lunch and roast chicken and potato salad for dinner.
After working, I worked out for an hour with a DVD in the living room, ironed and updated my ynab budget. I'm really happy about how the day went :-)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4891 on: November 19, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »
It's going to be stinking hot today, so as soon as we woke up this morning we opened all the doors and windows and turned the fans on to get the house as cool as possible. Hoping to get through the day with just fans.

You lead an adventurous life! This story without context is hilarious.

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4892 on: November 19, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »
Today was glorious. After running around all week (read: school, school, and school, lol) I declared it a pj day for myself.

I turned the heat off and opened windows - it was almost 60 here. I took a lovely walk and then just relaxed.

I balanced the ledger and funneled money to the kids' college accounts. I worked on the grocery list for tomorrow and the rest of turkey day shopping.

The big savings this week was juice that was $2 at Walmart as opposed to $3.29 at Shaws. I got six Monday. After thinking about it, I went back and cleared the shelf the next day. Walmarts is down the road from my boys' school so I was in the neighborhood yet again.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4893 on: November 19, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »
Ate the mushy pear before it was a total goner.

Made the dish for the preschool Thanksgiving potluck using ingredients on hand, forgoing a special trip to the store.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4894 on: November 19, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
I called Virgin Mobile and got the MSL code for the Samsung Galaxy I used before switching to Republic Wireless. So hopefully I will be able to use it with a SIM card when I go overseas.

FrugalLakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4895 on: November 20, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »
Spent an hour cleaning up my nine year old computer so it can last another year.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4896 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm enjoying some cumulative rewards of frugality.  Got my second electric bill for my new apartment.  It's -$13.  They estimated the first month and charged me for 3xs my usage.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4897 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »
I'm enjoying some cumulative rewards of frugality.  Got my second electric bill for my new apartment.  It's -$13.  They estimated the first month and charged me for 3xs my usage.

lmao, that's amazing.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4898 on: November 20, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »
Enjoyed homemade lunch (leftover from yesterday's homemade lunch). 
Sent another chunk of money to pay down the credit card.
This is my fourth "no spend" day this week.

mastrr

• Bristles
« Reply #4899 on: November 20, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »
set in motion new homeowners insurance on my rental saving $10/month

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!