Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029095 times)

Ysera

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3350 on: May 10, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
I am not walking at graduation tonight.  Not spending $70 dollars on robe and cap and tassel. The degree is what I want.

I am finishing my associates at a community college and going directly to a four year school for my bachelors. I'll walk then... Or maybe I'll wait for my masters...

Congrats on the associates! I didn't walk for any of my graduations, come to think of it. High school, AA, BS, MS. I hated the idea of all that sitting around and clapping and boredom.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #3351 on: May 10, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
I am not walking at graduation tonight.  Not spending $70 dollars on robe and cap and tassel. The degree is what I want.

I am finishing my associates at a community college and going directly to a four year school for my bachelors. I'll walk then... Or maybe I'll wait for my masters...

Congrats on the associates! I didn't walk for any of my graduations, come to think of it. High school, AA, BS, MS. I hated the idea of all that sitting around and clapping and boredom.

I also didn't walk for any graduations. Personally I don't care, but sometimes I wonder if my parents are sad they didn't have any of those chances to watch their children walk in ceremonies. My brother and I both haven't been to any of the ceremonies.

Maybe it's the reason why my dad continues to forget that I'm done with school and have my masters.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #3352 on: May 11, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »

I also didn't walk for any graduations. Personally I don't care, but sometimes I wonder if my parents are sad they didn't have any of those chances to watch their children walk in ceremonies. My brother and I both haven't been to any of the ceremonies.

Maybe it's the reason why my dad continues to forget that I'm done with school and have my masters.

Mine didn't mind at all. They attended my older brother's five hour high school graduation a few years earlier, and my graduating class was even bigger than his. Our school was quite overcrowded. :(

lezaline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3353 on: May 11, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
I've spent some time today learning about how to repair our refrigerator before calling a repairman. Looks like what we are experiencing is a common problem so hopefully I'll be saving some time and money by attempting to fix it myself first.

We also just switched our house phone from a landline to a Republic Wireless number (we have two kids at home and don't want them to have their own cell phones, but do want them to be able to call us after school if they need us). This will save us around $8-10 or so a month plus the money we will save from not answering all of the calls for donations. We also switched my husband's cell phone to Republic since the cost to upgrade the phone with our provider was stupid. The monthly fees saved here will be about  another $5 a month.

All small things, but in the end will add up to a couple hundred dollars in savings over the course of a year.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3354 on: May 11, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
Yesterday I researched on Youtube and figured out how to replace the watch battery in my son's Fossil watch for the $4.95 cost of the battery and a little of my time. Also courtesy of Youtube, removed a couple of excess links from the Citizen solar powered watch I bought at Costco on Saturday.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to replace the battery in my older Citizen ladies watch (rectangular case). There was no discernible lip at the rear edges of the waterproof case to pry under, and nothing online I could find, so my wife will take that to the jewelry repair place for me.

Edited to add - the Fossil watch battery came in a pack of two, so it actually cost about $2.48
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:50:38 PM by dorothyc »

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3355 on: May 11, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
I re-padded and re-upholstered a couple of dining room chairs. I had to buy a stable gun, some foam and fabric. I also tightened the various wobbles and ricketiness.

I won't be quitting my day-job (wait, I already did), but they look nicer and they're usable.

It cost about $40 for the two chairs - saved about $100 over buying new ones at Target.

mabinogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3356 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
Made my own Larabars. Yum!

Had to loan something to a friend, and walked it over to her house instead of driving.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3357 on: May 11, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
Hand painted the deck railing - both saving the cost of someone else doing it and helping our deck last a very long time!

Googled the physical therapy I think I need, ran through the exercises myself.  Even if I'm wrong, a bit of exercise can't hurt!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3358 on: May 11, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »
Made double batch of chocolate pudding cake to go with dinner of lentils and Greek salad.

Made double batch of coffee cake and wrapped individual slices for kids who need lunches for work, school, etc.

Had friend over for tea instead of hitting coffee shop.

Using up aromatherapy oils I already have in my diffuser instead of buying new ones, even though I was sorely tempted on the weekend.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3359 on: May 11, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
Ordered replacement lids for a Pyrex casserole and a Revereware saucepan, extending their usefulness in our household.

Decluttered some non-stick cookware and a couple of baby things.

Made lemon poppyseed bread with homemade lemon extract and several other pantry ingredients.

Decanted some conditioner my mom gave me into my reusable conditioner bottle. Shouldn't have to buy any for a long while.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:14:17 PM by jengod »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3360 on: May 12, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Finished refoaming my second speaker.  Assuming that this one is as improved as the first one was, my yard sale stereo system is going to sound pretty darned good.  Refoaming kit cost $20 at Simply Speakers and seems to improve things amazingly.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3361 on: May 12, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
Posted a bunch of stuff on Craigslist. It won't bring in much money, but it'll let me rent a smaller storage unit and spend less time moving.

Bought a pretty dress that was 50% off at a local consignment store. It still wasn't cheap by Mustachian standards, but it's almost $100 less than the price listed on the company's website. It doesn't save anything unless there's some special occasion sometime before it gets cold again, so here's hoping lots of friends get married soon or else have random fancy parties.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3362 on: May 12, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
Felt restless, so hubby and i went to library, husband bought Crime and Punishment for a buk, then we went to Aldis for muesli (lasts way longer than granola) but they were sold out, so left, without, buying, anything, shock horror. Hubsters says that this website is taking effect already lol hahah

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3363 on: May 12, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
Here's a good article about a marketing tool called anchoring, and how it influences our purchasing decisions: http://www.inc.com/the-build-network/the-anchoring-effect.html

Sigh. I'm sure you're right. In this case, though, I didn't know the original price of the dress when it was new until I got home. I only looked it up afterward to make myself feel better about having bought it at all. I paid $39.50, which is more than I'd typically spend. I have another dress I got there for about $3.50 at an end-of-the-season sale, and I end up wearing that one almost every week.

To save money today, though, I made more bread in the breadmaker, watched free shows on CrunchyRoll, and returned a textbook rental on time.

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3364 on: May 13, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
Made banana wheat germ muffins muffins, scrambled tofu for breakfast burritos, an Indian dish (chickpeas and cauliflower), rice, and a sweet potato and bean dish to take on the trip I'm taking. 5 days and plan to eat out twice (besides stadium food that cannot be avoided). Woot!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3365 on: May 13, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
Didn't turn the AC on yet, and it is HOT, esp with this laptop on me. But think of my savings hahah!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3366 on: May 13, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Figured out how to make hummus with balsamic vinegar which I have instead of a lemon which I would have to go out and buy.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3367 on: May 13, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »

I didn't go to any of mine (HS, BA, MBA), and I don't think my mother ever really forgave me for that. My BA would have been special for her, in retrospect. Though personally it wasn't important to me.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3368 on: May 13, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
So . . . in comparison to the past 3 months, the past few days have been so spendy for me.  Nothing frivolous, just some unforseen expenses that I could have been better prepared for . . . . but!  the good news:

I went to the grocery store tonight in search of something tasty and easy to have for dinner - without having to expend much energy in the kitchen.  But in considering my options, I realized I would not be satisfied with any prepackaged food more than I would be by my own cooking.  I have everything I need at home to make a tasty and easy meal. 

This change in attitude and perspective is fantastic and I know it will help me recover and get back on track quickly.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3369 on: May 14, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
We've had a pretty good week, these are from the last couple of days:

* Put together a kit to make decorative wood crates for the Webelos scouts, using old yard sticks and scrap wood in the garage. This is their last project of the year, which is good because the pack coffers are just about skint.

* Had another cleaning appointment at the dental hygiene school this morning -- one more to go and they are done (at a fraction of the cost of getting it done elsewhere).

* Got our first bill for the pay-by-mile car insurance. It was half what our monthly rate would have been with our previous insurance.

* Younger son and I walked to a nearby thrift store this afternoon. I found the math program we use, complete with answer key, that he needs for next year. Half price tag day, so it was $1.49 for both. Granted, it's the previous edition and not the current one, but how much does prealgebra change in 9 years? (savings: $65) Pro tip: Thrift stores don't know the value of homeschool curriculum, so they are usually priced low like the outdated and unwanted college textbooks they are shelved next to.

* Have mastered this no-oven/no wheat cooking thing. We continue to survive without the oven, so we probably won't order the part for a couple of more months. This week we've enjoyed:
- A zucchini and sausage skillet creation, served with pan roasted green beans.
- Loaded nachos (made zucchini chips in my dehydrator and meat chili in the crockpot) with coleslaw.
-Tuna patties and cauliflower salad (like macaroni salad, but with cauli)
-Tonight: crockpot fajita soup with herbed almond flour flat bread, made on my electric griddle.
-Bonus item: A lemon bundt cake for the boys, made in the microwave. I found a microwave bundt pan for 50 cents at the thrift store. Usual cake recipe + extra egg, cook 9 minutes. They say it is divine :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3370 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:47 PM »
* Have mastered this no-oven/no wheat cooking thing. We continue to survive without the oven, so we probably won't order the part for a couple of more months. This week we've enjoyed:
- A zucchini and sausage skillet creation, served with pan roasted green beans.
- Loaded nachos (made zucchini chips in my dehydrator and meat chili in the crockpot) with coleslaw.
-Tuna patties and cauliflower salad (like macaroni salad, but with cauli)
-Tonight: crockpot fajita soup with herbed almond flour flat bread, made on my electric griddle.
-Bonus item: A lemon bundt cake for the boys, made in the microwave. I found a microwave bundt pan for 50 cents at the thrift store. Usual cake recipe + extra egg, cook 9 minutes. They say it is divine :) 

Hi Joshin!  I took a quick look at your profile to see other posts you've made, to get an idea whether this is an appropriate suggestion - didn't look at them all though!  Anyway, sounds like your younger son might be the right age to enjoy a project, and you're homeschooling?  Have you ever thought of trying to build a solar oven?  Depending on where you are located (didn't find that in my quick peek at your profile) that could give you an oven to cook with for at least the next few months, and longer if you're in a warm climate.

Here's one website:  http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/homemade_solar_ovens.html

(Full disclosure:  I've never built a solar oven.  I'd like to though.  But since I won't probably get around to it, maybe I can live vicariously through you.)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3371 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
Picked up two marked down rotisserie chickens for $5 all in.  Cheaper than buying chicken and cooking it at home.  Will provide for many meals.  And will make probably 6-8 quarts of stock for canning purposes.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3372 on: May 15, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
Picked up the cheapest possible cut of pork (boneless leg) in a bag.  Marinated it in the cheapest cooking sherry, soy sauce, garlic and spices.  Currently roasting it on low and letting the oven warm the room instead of turning on the heat.  No restaurants for us this weekend.  They don't make anything that tastes this good.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3373 on: May 15, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
Picked up two marked down rotisserie chickens for $5 all in.  Cheaper than buying chicken and cooking it at home.  Will provide for many meals.  And will make probably 6-8 quarts of stock for canning purposes.
I love rotisserie chickens!  I've only recently started making stock from the carcass, but the prepared meat is still a good deal. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3374 on: May 15, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
I'm putting a chicken on the rotisserie in about an hour and we are having chicken caesar salad for dinner with homemade dressing...can't wait! About 10 chickens left from the farmer from last year, and we just heard today that our next 50 chickens for the year are ready July 4th.

Went to make buns today, only to discover I'm out of yeast. Went to Walmart and bought buns instead of caving and picking up fast food to feed family.

Drinking my way through my tea cupboard. Found a little tin of loose herbal tea today and used it up.

Bought cheap flip flops and sandals for the kids at Walmart.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3375 on: May 16, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
I walked to the post office this morning to pick up my new external hard drive (bought in part with trade in credits from textbooks people were thowing away and with an amazon giftcard I purchased to get $10 back from them.)  Now I have memory space to scan (and no longer have to move/store) two huge scrapbooks.  I am reaching the end my purging.

I harvested the first spinach from my little stoop garden.  I wilted it and had it over some "not enough for a meal" ravioli along with some "not enough for a meal" tomato soup, with a little big of mozerella cheese grated on top.  I may have to repeat that meal!  It was so good.

I hemmed up the skirt I made yesterday, out of supplies I had on hand, to fill a hole I discovered in my wardrobe when I had two semi formal meetings in a row this week.

I am very carefully encouraging my cell phone charger to keep working until I get to town next week.  I have a list of things I need in town and plenty of time to go this weekend but the receycling center is only open week days and it seems pointless to drive half an hour and not be able to drop off my recycling!

As for literal saving and not just penny pinching, I get a raise effective Monday!  I'm still incredibly underpaid, but this will be enough to allow me to more than break even!

I also got an academic scholarship just last week.  It's strange to come at the end of the semester. Because of my penny pinching I have no imediate desperate need for the money, so I put it into my "school savings account". I feel strange because my classmates all seem to have imediate desperate needs.  Does that mean I am less deserviing of financial grants?  No.  It means I practice self control.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3376 on: May 16, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
Breakfast was rice cooked in the flavor I rinsed out of the pot I made roast pork in yesterday and topped with chopped green onion tops.  This is the second batch of tops I have grown on the roots of the same grocery store green onions.  I wonder if they go on forever.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3377 on: May 16, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
I also got an academic scholarship just last week.  It's strange to come at the end of the semester. Because of my penny pinching I have no imediate desperate need for the money, so I put it into my "school savings account". I feel strange because my classmates all seem to have imediate desperate needs.  Does that mean I am less deserviing of financial grants?  No.  It means I practice self control.

Absolutely!  You deserve your scholarship and you will be a good steward of the funds it provides instead of wasting it.

Homemade meals from the freezer and no money spent for me today.  Also, I am clearing out my closet and kitchen cupboard (oh, how I love gadgets) to bless someone else.  In addition, scored some free office supplies and a file cabinet and will use them to organize my home office.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3378 on: May 16, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
@2ndTimer, I thought you might be interested in this article that I read about a month ago on how to keep your green onions growing!

http://theprudenthomemaker.com/blog/entry/how-to-grow-green-onions-and-collect-your-own-seeds

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3379 on: May 16, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
My replacement car for my '97 Dodge Neon is a '99 Dodge Neon.

I am currently removing everything so I have a complete set of running spares.

Today I swapped out the rattling catalytic converter (sounded terrible) that came on the '99 model... Ahh peaceful driving, an hours worth of work and zero cost...:)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3380 on: May 16, 2015, 11:58:22 PM »
Took food with me from home to eat at work, 'cause I knew I'd be hungry when I got there.  And made myself dinner at home after I got back, partially with food from my garden.

Also used up the last little bit of a container of yoghurt, and the water I cooked my potato in for dinner, by adding it to the dog's food bowl.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #3381 on: May 17, 2015, 04:38:36 AM »
Just changed the tires on the car (winter -> summer)  instead of paying 20€ or so for it.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3382 on: May 17, 2015, 05:04:39 AM »
I'm making meals at home and watching the shows I have lined up on my Tivo. I think I will sit in a garden chair outside and turn the TV up loud as it's sunny out.

I need to check for a better deal in pet insurance, actually that sounds boring so I will probably do that tomorrow!

Ha, just realised I had typed poet insurance at first lol.

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3383 on: May 17, 2015, 12:08:27 PM »
Took my son to the Children's Museum today for Free Sunday admission (the third Sunday of the month, thanks Target corporation). Parking was $5 for 3 hours downtown after validation.
Went early to avoid crowds, and we had a blast!
Go go Mama Mustache!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3384 on: May 17, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
*making my own hotdog buns for big BBQ tonite

*making double batch of homemade iced tea

*coping with injury by buying easy to cook foods rather than take out/drive thru food

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3385 on: May 17, 2015, 09:29:58 PM »
So, it has been way past time to update my work wardrobe.  I found some great sales on some basic pieces at a local store, but for the pants (dockers), I tried on at the store and then found a sale online which basically amounts to "buy 2 get 1 free" . . . (if you need basic work pants go to dockers.com and look for the 3for30 promo - it is good until May 20)

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #3386 on: May 18, 2015, 01:55:04 AM »
Took lunch to work, and drank the (crappy) free coffee instead of buying the good stuff.

Biked to work.

In the morning, I'm going to the gym, and I'll shower there instead of at home.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3387 on: May 18, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
I showered at the gym.  I'm starting to enjoy the expensive shower products at the gym.  My bar of soap and suave shampoo at home isn't going to cut it, so I'll have to work out more.

I carpooled to work.  Today is my day to drive, but I save time and gas by having access to the carpool lane.  Plus, my carpool has amazing members, so we have fascinating conversations.  I learn something new every day. 

I packed my breakfast, lunch and snacks.  We're running low on food, so I had to get creative.  My lunch is 2 eggs scrambled with spinach and some frozen broccoli.  Breakfast is a smoothie with bananas, frozen strawberries, spinach, cocoa powder, and milk.

Drinking homemade tea. Loose leaf.  So much better than any place open at 6 am. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3388 on: May 18, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
In anticipation of a large expenditure, I signed up for a new credit card with a $400 travel credit after a $3K spend.  Perfect since I'm planning a trip this fall that will require a ~$500 plane ticket.

Planted lots of vegetables this weekend and didn't spend any money. 

Cancelled my riding lesson at the last minute yesterday because thunderstorms were rolling in.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3389 on: May 18, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
In anticipation of a large expenditure, I signed up for a new credit card with a $400 travel credit after a $3K spend.  Perfect since I'm planning a trip this fall that will require a ~$500 plane ticket.

Planted lots of vegetables this weekend and didn't spend any money. 

Cancelled my riding lesson at the last minute yesterday because thunderstorms were rolling in.

Working on hitting the $3k for that one myself. $500 left I think and a month to do it. World Arrival +? Going to Canada this summer and figured a no fee card would be nice to have while there. Also, booked a (super unmustachian) room for the night of our wedding. $565 for one night!. The reward for getting to $3k should pay for most of that on its own. The wedding will be inexpensive compared to normal (~$15k for everything, and we'll only be covering $2k of that give or take), so having one magical night in a castle seems worth the stupid amount of money.

Brought food from home (as I do 24 out of 25 work days on average). It was stir fry on rice and very yummy.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3390 on: May 18, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
Saved 25% on this month's grocery bill using coupons, e-coupons, and shopping sales.  Kept it under $200.

Saved .40 a gallon at the pump using my grocer's value card

Used a coupon at the liquor store.  Bought a $3 mini canvas bag there which will save 10% off future purchases.  :D

Used up more freezer leftovers

Batch cooked sausage and breakfast burritos, boiled eggs and processed fresh produce for this week's lunches

Packed my usual coffee, filtered water, lunch and snacks for the office

Am planning a fishing overnight camping trip for DH's 40th instead of throwing our usual elaborate $200 party at home.

I continue to use leftover glasses of water to water plants.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:30:41 PM by MountainGal »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3391 on: May 18, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
Picked the green onion tops that were going to seed in my garden and chopped them on top of my lunch

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3392 on: May 18, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
Decided against snackfood while at the train station. Win for both my health and my wallet.

BF cooked dinner instead of getting fries. Idem dito!

Arranged another deal with my dog sitter, so I can work extra hours (free of charge, as we swap dog walking duties).

Worked in the garden, noticed that the carrots I'd sown weeks ago are germinating. Saves me on having to buy extra seeds and. And I get extra fresh carrots earlier, which are so much better than store bought :)

Was gifted free rhubarb stalks by a friendly garden neighbour, I'm in the process of baking a nice crumble with it.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3393 on: May 18, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »
Picked the green onion tops that were going to seed in my garden and chopped them on top of my lunch

Not sure where you live, but the wild spring onions that grow everywhere where I live (east coast) can be picked and used like chives or scallions. Hell, toast, butter, and some chopped on top is good!

Additionally, there's a clover-looking plant that also grows all over the place here. It grows taller and is very thin, but the leaves get much bigger than clover over the summer. It's called wood sorrel and it tastes like lemon. Can be used in salads, as a spice, or as an herbal tea.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3394 on: May 18, 2015, 01:44:03 PM »
Nuked a frozen veggie burrito (homemade!) for lunch. Realized we were out of sour cream for the burrito, but instead of running out and grabbing some, which I won't use again until MAYBE next week, I made do with some plain yogurt in the fridge. Worked just as well!

Walked to the library, turned in a book that was due tomorrow (hooray for avoiding late fees), and got some work done on my project.

Still holding out on A/C (third floor walk up; it was 84 degree in the apartment last night, which was a little warm for our pup). It's supposed to cool down for the rest of the week (60s) which will keep us A/C free even longer!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #3395 on: May 18, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »
Additionally, there's a clover-looking plant that also grows all over the place here. It grows taller and is very thin, but the leaves get much bigger than clover over the summer. It's called wood sorrel and it tastes like lemon. Can be used in salads, as a spice, or as an herbal tea.

Wood sorrel is sour and delicious! It grows in my yard (along with a bunch of other edible things).

Also, Pooperman, enjoy your trip to Canada!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3396 on: May 18, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »
*threw a few cucumber and lettuce seeds in the dirt - will see if they actually grow under the care of my 10 year old boy!

*homemade iced tea made and cooling (I put 4 tea bags in a juice jug and a full kettle of boiling water over top. Let the tea bags steep for 10 minutes or so. Add sugar (mine tastes good with 3/4 c) and lemon juice (1/2 cup). Let it cool on the counter and then refrigerate.) So cheap and very refreshing!

*rice is cooking to stretch taco meat for dinner tonight. I use it 1:1 with the meat and my family prefers it this way now.

*sheets hanging outside to dry

*took the kids for ice cream this afternoon at a fancy shop -- I had given them each a gift card for $5 at this shop in their stocking. Will do again. It was fun to wish them Merry Christmas on this hot and sunny day. Wow! I can't believe how many people were in there and seem to be regulars. Its so expensive there! This will be a once a summer treat ... that was today :-)

*soup stock bubbling away in the crockpot from chicken bones the other night. I will now stop serving soup in these hotter months but its such a treat to have a supply of stock built up in the deep freeze for the fall!

*have navy beans in my other crockpot for tomorrow's brown beans and hotdogs (left over from our BBQ last night)

*had a good chat with my husband this morning about saving $$$ -- this Mustachianism is really sinking in for me and I'm trying to get him on the same page

*hand washed a bunch of dishes

*trying to adapt to warmer weather by dressing in lighter clothing, drinking lots of water, etc. hoping to extend the no heat/no cooling season to July 1

*ate up eggs that I hard boiled a few days ago in sandwiches for the family for lunch today and salvaged some lettuce from the depths of the vegetable drawer

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3397 on: May 18, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
I'm new to the forums, and I love this thread!

My husband travels for work, and uses toiletries that can be refilled at home without the additional expense of travel miniatures.

Last night I realised his small hair wax container (which I refill from a large pot) didn't come back from the last trip. I wasn't making a trip to the supermarket at 8pm, so I went through the bathroom and found a small pot of lip gloss I never use, emptied and washed it, and filled it up with hair wax.

It would be very easy for these trips to become a financial black-hole, not just from increased spending but from adapting to, and expecting, the level of luxury he is afforded (business class flights, five-star hotels, expensive dinners). But we guard against the first by being prepared, and against the second by remembering that those luxuries are a wonderful treat, but are just temporary.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3398 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »

Not sure where you live, but the wild spring onions that grow everywhere where I live (east coast) can be picked and used like chives or scallions. Hell, toast, butter, and some chopped on top is good!

Pooperman, you' ll probably find arrowhead sorrel if you have wood sorrel. Tast is virtually identical, but it's easier to get a lot. Don't eat whole salads of just sorrel or drink only sorrel tea for days; the oxalic acid that gives it its taste isn't good for you in high doses, but reasonable amounts are fine,

Here's more info on the arrowhead sorrel.

https://extension.umass.edu/landscape/weeds/rumex-acetosella

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3399 on: May 18, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
A couple months ago I purchased a heavy duty granite mortar and pestle, thinking it would be a buy it for life type of thing.  The other night I was mashing up ginger with it and the pestle broke right in half.  It was too late to return it to the store, so I emailed the company, and they promptly responded that they would send me a new pestle.  I usually don't think to contact manufacturers, but will from now on!

Was thinking about buying a flat of marigolds, but noticed a bunch of seedlings in pots that had marigolds last fall, so I spent about 20 minutes carefully separating them out into small pots in the greenhouse.  Hopefully they'll only be a couple weeks behind store-bought plants, but totally free instead of $12 or so.  I've also spotted some sulphur buckwheat and blanketflower seedling volunteers around the yard that will be dug up and transplanted in the near future.  Over the weekend I did this with about half a dozen lavender plants.  I usually spend massive amounts of money on plants this time of year, so it's nice to let my garden perpetuate itself for free instead.