Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8029204 times)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2950 on: March 30, 2015, 05:47:54 AM »
Took leftover rice n lentils, frozen veg and 2x mini egg quiche to work for lunch.

Today I really wanted a coke ($1), but turned back halfway and instead got my water bottle and filled it with the cooled filtered water available in our office. With a goal of $20k left to pay off my student loans to get to a net worth of zero (ideally this year) every dollar saved counts!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2951 on: March 30, 2015, 05:54:04 AM »
Turned off the heat for the year. Drinking my tea/hot beverage stach and using blankets. I might be optimistic with this one, we'll see.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2952 on: March 30, 2015, 08:03:14 AM »
Had visitors for the weekend. Since my friend brought her five-year-old with her there was no "let's go out to eat", so although we did do "Kaffee & Kuchen" it was home-cooking all the way.

Weather was lousy so we did end up going to the Neanderthal Musuem yesterday but it cost less than we thought it would because she gave us a family ticket (20% discount) and then I got another €1 off because I have a BahnCard. So we paid just over €16 for the three of us and spent more than two hours there. Could easily have spent another hour or more, especially if the weather had been good and we'd gone out to the actual excavation site. Will definitely be going back in the summer.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2953 on: March 30, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »
Currently drinking yesterday's mint tea microwaved.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2954 on: March 30, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
*  deposited side gig check and immediately transferred it to savings
*  steadily working on freelance project in all spare time
*  reminding myself I do not have to keep this up forever - just until the card is paid

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #2955 on: March 30, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
My wife wanted Peeps for Easter so I bought a box at Target. I saved 8 cents with the Cartwheel app.  Maybe my smallest win ever.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2956 on: March 30, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
Didn't wash my hair this morning - have been reducing from daily shampooing to a couple times a week.

Shampooing your hair does not cost that much.  CVS has some great deals on shampoo this week.  I just bought nine bottles of shampoo for $.50 each.  Tell me you don't use a whole bottle of shampoo at once.  You probably don't even use a pennies worth of shampoo at this price.   Try this deal out it may help so you can shampoo your hair.  :)

Ah, but shampooing your hair less dries it out less which reduces rebound oil production which makes it more manageable, so then you need less product to make it behave.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2957 on: March 30, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »
Turned off the heat for the year. Drinking my tea/hot beverage stach and using blankets. I might be optimistic with this one, we'll see.
Do you have a hot water bottle? They are very popular in the UK to give you an extra boost of coziness. Nice for in bed too.

Torgo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2958 on: March 30, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »
Awesome lunch brought to work today of Japanese buckwheat noodles, fried garlic, and ground bison in olive oil based sauce.  On the order of $2.50 for the meal mostly for the bison.  None of those on-campus bought lunches for a while now.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #2959 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:10 PM »
I quit smoking today.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2960 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:34 AM »
Used up 2 cups of leftover cubed chicken from roasting a whole chicken the other night. It became Chicken Spaghetti (excellent Pioneer Woman recipe).

Went back to the grocery store to claim my free points that the manager on staff last night didn't know how to do. Well worth the trip and the points are worth $25 in the grocery store!

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2961 on: March 31, 2015, 03:38:13 AM »
I quit smoking today.

Saved your money and your life! Nice work.
I quit 5 year ago, once the withdrawal phase is past you'll never want to go back.

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2962 on: March 31, 2015, 03:41:42 AM »
I quit smoking today.

Oh man, yesssss! Congratulations!

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #2963 on: March 31, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
- Repaired a fraying car mat with duct tape instead of buying a new set  ($20)
- Paid for a yearly gym membership instead of monthly contract ($500)
- Emailed company for a replacement under warranty instead of buying a new razor ($30)

$550 savings!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2964 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:25 AM »
I quit smoking today.

!!!!! Well done. That must have taken a lot of dedication and determination. But as someone else said- saving your money and your life!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2965 on: March 31, 2015, 07:59:57 AM »
I quit smoking today.

That is no small thing, that is awesome on so many ways.

Today:  working from home, so no gas used for commuting.  Was planning to take my horse out to the state park for a ride tonight, but there's a high wind advisory, so the weather might be saving me additional gas money. 

Yesterday:
Gassed my car up sooner than usual because the 5% cash back for gas on my Discover card ends today. 
Revived an old can of paint that was here when we bought the house and used it to paint my set of horse jumps.  Pretty pleased with what I've been able to put together with: 1.  Craigslist find, 2.  Dollar Tree fake flowers, 3.  old paint, 4. scrap wood.  Did have to buy some new poles to complete the set, but at least they were on sale.
Didn't bring lunch so just had a can of sardines that was in my desk; leftovers for dinner.
Used an old bag of fertilizer to fertilize the fruit trees, berry bushes and asparagus bed.  Hopefully turning clutter into food.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2966 on: March 31, 2015, 08:29:07 AM »
This is within the last 24 hours so I figure it counts.  Last night the Hub figured out that the hot water heater needs and element replaced.  Straightforward but no time till Sunday.  No problem.  The dishwasher heats its own water, I can wash in cold and we will grab our showers at the clubhouse.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #2967 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
I quit smoking today.

Kick ass.

Past couple of days:

* Harvested some info, then canceled a $25/month professional membership that served me well in the past but is no longer as necessary now.
* Bid a project.
* Threw a bunch of unused scented candles on the Goodwill pile, gaining a bit of space. (Kept some non-scented ones for emergencies.)
* Ordered another ThredUp bag for a pair of once- or twice-worn boots found under the bed that I'd forgotten about. (D'oh.)
* Sold a book on Amazon.
* Started re-reading Walden (first time since high school).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2968 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
Sold a bunch of books on Amazon. Got a load of DVDs that have been shipped.

Ate leftovers for breakfast and free lunch at work.

SMCx3

• Stubble
« Reply #2969 on: March 31, 2015, 06:18:54 PM »
I installed a new garbage disposal on my own.  Sad to say, but normally anything requiring wiring of any type I am out.  I watched a video on YouTube, found a coupon online for the new disposal, installed myself. 

Not a big deal for many others, but a $100 savings compared to my past world.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2970 on: March 31, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »
Do you have a hot water bottle? They are very popular in the UK to give you an extra boost of coziness. Nice for in bed too.

I do and have been using it :) We Canucks like our hot water bottles too...hmm...on second thought...I might of gotten the habit from my English Grandmother. Very worth wile investment!

I haven't turn on the gas heat but did use a little electric space heater in my office, discovered lost productivity due to my fingers were going numb from the cold :(

KingGeorgeHarrison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2971 on: March 31, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »
Commuted via bike for the first time today. I don't know what took me so long!

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #2972 on: March 31, 2015, 11:11:32 PM »
swapped out some regular lightbulbs for LEDS. they were a steal at Ikea, but not sure how well they will last. we shall see.

fossilhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2973 on: April 01, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
I bought storage totes on craigslist. (Only live in 400sq ft. Gotta store somethings outside, and the bugs are starting to come out.)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2974 on: April 01, 2015, 04:37:38 AM »

Was given a small bunny and a few choc eggs by a lovely co-worker today =instead of scoffing them (it was tempting, believe me!) - I put them in my lunchbox in the car to take home to add to small ducks Easter basket.

Again, took lunch to work. Had instant (ramen) noodles for easy cheap (not healthy) dinner.

Putting off grocery shopping till next Monday, as I have a $5 off voucher valid then.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2975 on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:35 AM »

Was given a small bunny and a few choc eggs by a lovely co-worker today =instead of scoffing them (it was tempting, believe me!) - I put them in my lunchbox in the car to take home to add to small ducks Easter basket.

Again, took lunch to work. Had instant (ramen) noodles for easy cheap (not healthy) dinner.

Putting off grocery shopping till next Monday, as I have a $5 off voucher valid then.

Wow people really do love their children more than themselves.  Not sure I could have done it. 

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #2976 on: April 01, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »

- Emailed company for a replacement under warranty instead of buying a new razor ($30)

Merkur said no dice on the razor replacement. I used epoxy last night to put it back together. If it holds, same result!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2977 on: April 01, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
Found a bike online that had been left outside too often and the brake cables had seized up.  New the bike sells for $800, but the owner just wanted to get rid of it because 'you can't ride it anymore - maybe it's good for parts.'
Learned that my university has a bike Co-op where you can learn to fix up your own bike and all you pay is the cost of the parts.
Learned to replace both brake cables.  Cost - $13.25 and about 45 minutes of my time.  Bonus: I understand more about my bike and mike maintenance than I did two days ago.  Next week I'll replace both shifter cables because they're pretty rusty, but the bike is already fully functional again.

Decided not to buy a monthly bus pass now that I have a decent commuter bike again.  Saved $54.50 for the month.  First ride of the season felt great, even though it was 25ºF (-4ºC) :-)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2978 on: April 01, 2015, 09:50:25 AM »
I quit smoking today.

Wrong thread Joshin.  This should be posted under "What Enormous Thing Did You Do Today To Change Your Entire Life"  Congratulations on having the gonads to take this step.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:52:16 AM by 2ndTimer »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2979 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
Adding my Congrats to Joshin!  Way to go!

My babysteps for today . . .
*  leftovers for lunch (and dinner tonight)
*  buying 3 month phone card (save $10)
*  choosing to put off taking a class until I can pay cash for it :(
*  did "budget" for next two weeks and have an extra $120 (still cannot justify the class, yet . . . )
*  not getting a beer after work tonight even though I really deserve a treat

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2980 on: April 01, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
Found some cheese with a moldy spot in the fridge right next to a pot of stock made out leftover pork bones and salvaged vegetables.  Dug some green chili stew out of the freezer and bingo:  Enchiladas!

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #2981 on: April 01, 2015, 02:19:46 PM »
I drank the free office coffee today because my husband didn't make my coffee this morning.

I brought food from home.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2982 on: April 01, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
* Found $1 tucked in the back of a trash-picked filing cabinet. A wooden ladder from the same trash pile is working wonderfully as a pumpkin trellis in the garden right now. Bonus points: That pumpkin was a volunteer!
* Fixed the clogged sink by myself instead of calling plumber.
* Visited a new local market (Northgate) to buy avocados at $.33 each, watermelon at $.33 a pound, and bunches of superfood purslane at $.25 each.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:48:16 PM by jengod »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2983 on: April 01, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »
Lunch and dinner are leftovers.

Decided to go for a walk instead of shopping or just visiting the mall.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #2984 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone -- I have three days of success under my belt as a nonsmoker now!

As for other accomplishments:
* Made the boys and DH a pumpkin spice bundt cake to snack on -- use frozen pumpkin puree from Halloween.

* Made a batch of cinnamon-infused toothpicks using pantry items. Also decorated an old tic-tac container to make a holder. Chewing on a toothpick is my no-carb way of dealing with cigarette cravings.

* Made a congrats card for a friend that just started a new job.

* Used the power of my computer and creative scissor work to create pop-up Minecraft party invitations for younger son, which impressed him enough that he forgot all about the ones he saw at the store.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #2985 on: April 01, 2015, 11:53:44 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone -- I have three days of success under my belt as a nonsmoker now!

As for other accomplishments:
* Made the boys and DH a pumpkin spice bundt cake to snack on -- use frozen pumpkin puree from Halloween.

* Made a batch of cinnamon-infused toothpicks using pantry items. Also decorated an old tic-tac container to make a holder. Chewing on a toothpick is my no-carb way of dealing with cigarette cravings.

* Made a congrats card for a friend that just started a new job.

* Used the power of my computer and creative scissor work to create pop-up Minecraft party invitations for younger son, which impressed him enough that he forgot all about the ones he saw at the store.

Joshin for the win!!!

How do you make cinnamon toothpicks?  Sounds interesting...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2986 on: April 02, 2015, 12:12:46 AM »
Today was spent almost entirely in the kitchen. I made:

- a double batch of "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day" dough - made 2 loaves, gave one away to gardener neighbour who brings us excess produce sometimes

- chill from freezer kidney beans

- split pea soup using old ham bone from the weekend

- 11x13 pan of fruit cobbler using freezer fruit

- double batch of homemade granola

A few other things today:

- did all the baking while the oven was hot.

- amalgamated 2 freezers into 1 now that we've used up 90% of last summers farm fresh berries, the side of beef and the 50 chickens we buy each year from farmer friends. Cleaned and unplugged the larger freezer until the fall.

- hung a load of laundry on the line outside. A second load was hung inside on drying racks.

- hand washed a ton of dishes today instead of using the dishwasher.

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2987 on: April 02, 2015, 03:53:55 AM »
[quote author=Joshin link=topic=10664.msg612089#msg612089 date=1427950559

[/quote]

Love this! Parties can be sneaky budget vampies,

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2988 on: April 02, 2015, 04:58:53 AM »
I prepared my federal income tax return.  Saved myself the cost of a CPA, Tax preparer and/or the cost of TurboTax (it isn't free for me and with the Schedule A, Schedule E and AMT form it would have cost me $90).

BUT, I did run through Turbo Tax (the free portion) to double check my handiwork.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #2989 on: April 02, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »
Flavored toothpicks:

**You're supposed to use flavoring oils, but I used extracts because that's what I had. Flavor not quite as strong, but more than adequate.

1. Place toothpicks in a glass container.

2. Fill container with extract/oil up the first layer of toothpicks.

3. Lid the container and shake it to coat all the toothpicks.

4. Soak overnight.

In the morning, you can spread them out to air dry, or dry them in the oven at 200* for about 10 minutes.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2990 on: April 02, 2015, 01:10:54 PM »
*  homemade lunch
*  free gym tonight
*  turned down invite to go to Target with co-worker on lunch break
*  staying focused on goals above all temptation
*  reading your posts for inspiration & sense of community (pretty much everyone in my life would worry about me if they knew how little I am trying to live on right now)

*  correction:  I am not "trying" - I am really doing it!  (and the rewards are worth the sacrifice to me, right now)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:13:30 PM by lunahsol »

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2991 on: April 02, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »
I quit smoking today.

Kick ass.

Past couple of days:

* Harvested some info, then canceled a $25/month professional membership that served me well in the past but is no longer as necessary now.
* Bid a project.
* Threw a bunch of unused scented candles on the Goodwill pile, gaining a bit of space. (Kept some non-scented ones for emergencies.)
* Ordered another ThredUp bag for a pair of once- or twice-worn boots found under the bed that I'd forgotten about. (D'oh.)
* Sold a book on Amazon.

Shane, thank you SO much for posting this.  I'd never heard of this company and just checked out their website.  My spring cleaning to do list thanks you, too.  :D

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2992 on: April 02, 2015, 02:07:40 PM »
Packed my food for an office lunch, rather than buying like everyone else.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2993 on: April 02, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »
getting a fairly new fridge (it's not stainless, the horror!) for 200.00 plus the cost of burgers for my parents who are helping deliver it. Been looking for a long time for a good deal!

Cut our heating bill by 1/3 over last month, granted it hasn't been as cold, but it is certainly not warm yet.

discovered we made a profit on some instant ramen (hubby likes having them as a back up for work) .39 cents each bonus points of 600 per packet (600 points = .60 cents) so got free noodles and made about .14 per package :) If they ever offer it again, I might buy out the whole store and donate them to a foodbank.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #2994 on: April 02, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
I quit smoking today.

Kick ass.

Past couple of days:

* Bid a project.
* Sold a book on Amazon.

Shane, thank you SO much for posting this.  I'd never heard of this company and just checked out their website.  My spring cleaning to do list thanks you, too.  :D

You're welcome, MountainGal! Pretty sure I heard of ThredUp here on a MMM thread somewhere, so happy to have passed the info along. liketwice.com is another one with possibilities, though ThredUp has been willing to take more of my stuff so far.

Today:

* Got a coupon for a free ham.
* Deposited a bunch of loose change.
* Sold a couple more books on Amazon.

KingGeorgeHarrison

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2995 on: April 02, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »
Commuted via bike for the first time today. I don't know what took me so long!

How far was the ride in?  Did you enjoy your ride?

Yes, I love riding and this was only 5.5 miles so I was able to arrive minimally sweaty.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2996 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:52 PM »
Went to the really crappy grocery store (there are two in walking distance) to take advantage of a few really good sales on things I was low on, and kept a close eye on the register while checking out.

Out of 8 different things, 6 showed up as a higher price than advertised. Total cost difference: 15$.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #2997 on: April 03, 2015, 06:50:04 AM »
Yesterday I decided to ride my bike *all the way home* instead of biking the 10 miles to the train. Saved $1.75 in train fare...and biked 30 miles! (40 miles if you count the 10 I did on the way in to work).
I definitely can't do that every day, but it felt great!

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #2998 on: April 03, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »
-Sold a book I had lying around on Ebay-total profit was about $2, but at least that is one less thing cluttering my life!

-Brought breakfast and lunch to work. Going out for drinks tonight with friends, but will eat a snack before I go so I only get an appetizer and one drink. The snack will be pasta salad that was leftover from office catering yesterday! Luckily I always have a spare tupperware container on hand at my desk for that very reason. Goal is to keep cost of drinks/app tonight under $15.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2999 on: April 03, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
Sold my first on eBay.... Profit $35. All this from decluttering efforts. Now I'm pumped to sell more stuff and make space at home.