Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8028817 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2300 on: January 28, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
Got four heads of cauliflower for $0.99 each last night.

Reheated roommate's leftovers for my own dinner tonight (with permission of course; no clue why he didn't want it).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2301 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:51 PM »
1) Spaghetti sauce in the crockpot for dinner. Used up 2 wrinkly bell peppers, an onion,  a handful of kale and parsley, the hearts of celery with the leaves and 1/2 a jar of ready made marinara that was languishing in the back of the fridge. Added 2 lb. ground beef from my freezer stash, 1 can of tomato sauce and 1 can of diced tomatoes. Was one of my better sauces:-)

2) A no-spend day! Always a victory for me!

3) Kept the heat off during the day.

4) Rousing round of Trivial Pursuit Jr. with the family this evening - we made teams to make it go faster. I love TP Jr. because the questions are easy enough for kids yet sometimes stump the adults. Lots of multiple choice questions and none about 1930's actors!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2302 on: January 28, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
*  The cut green onions that I put into water last Saturday have grown up to almost full-size again!  No need to buy new ones for some time if I keep this going!  (They are cheap to begin with, but still . . . )

*  I am getting way better at "sticking to the list" at the grocery store.  Less unplanned purchases.

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #2303 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
Moved house to a new flat.

Currently trying to consume all the food we have in the pantry/freezer and have gone 1.5 weeks longer then expected with only buying fruit and milk.

Cooked big and so have not had to buy lunch for the last week and a bit (except for today when i left it sitting on the bench at home).

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2304 on: January 29, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
Baked a loaf of honey-wheat bread for son's breakfast toast.  Canned a dozen jars of hibiscus jelly for same, using green apple stock for pectin, then laboriously forced the boiled apples through a strainer to extract every last bit of "applesauce" from the leavings.  My son will happily eat it straight with no sugar.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #2305 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
Finally brought my lunch to work.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2306 on: January 29, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »

Currently trying to consume all the food we have in the pantry/freezer and have gone 1.5 weeks longer then expected with only buying fruit and milk.

Cooked big and so have not had to buy lunch for the last week and a bit (except for today when i left it sitting on the bench at home).

Why do you need to buy milk? :I  I know it's delicious, and a must-have if you're eating cereal... but lots of folks live without milk.

Because it is delicious and I assume he doesn't have a cow :D.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2307 on: January 29, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »

Why do you need to buy milk? :I  I know it's delicious, and a must-have if you're eating cereal... but lots of folks live without milk.

Because it is delicious and I assume he doesn't have a cow :D.
Now I want a cow.

Packed breakfast, lunch and snacks.  I received a box of sample snacks in the mail.  I brought them to work to eat instead of buying something from the vending machine. 

Last night I used some leftover rice and half of an egg (used the other half to make two chocolate chip cookies) to make fried rice, which my DH ate for dinner.  I ate the last enchilada. 

I've planned my Superbowl party menu from items that I already have.  I will spend less than $5 to have a lot of snack options. 

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #2308 on: January 29, 2015, 03:24:29 PM »

I never said anything about needing milk. I just choose to continue buying it.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2309 on: January 29, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Made a giant (crock)pot of lentil ham soup (literally ham broth so h lentils and chunks of ham). It'll last like 10+ servings. Ham was $0.99/lb and I used like 3lb of it. Lentils are the cheapest foodstuff ever, so it's super cheap and yummy. Did my taxes.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2310 on: January 29, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »
Made some beef stew to use up a bunch of veggies in the fridge.

Finally was able to stop at the day old bread store and am stocked up for about a month.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2311 on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
First - I was to say AWESOME SAUCE to everyone on this thread!

Secondly, I cut the cord today! Down to internet only. Phone is not VOIP and tv is gone gone gone. "Cable" bill is reduced by 2/3 per month. I may shop around ISP (only two to choose from), but for now I am so happy to have it done! Saving about $100 per month!!!

I also called to dispute/investigate my ridiculous water bill. It is 3x normal - hopefully will get to the bottom of that. There is no leak in the house that I can find.

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2312 on: January 30, 2015, 03:18:59 PM »
Signed up to volunteer at a music festival as an usher. I would have paid to see the concert, but I'll get to see it for free. Saved $25. Plus, my volunteer shift will earn me another concert ticket, so I can see the next evenings concert for free, too.

Was thinking about other places I might be able to do something like this, and in my internet searching discovered that the community college in my town offers free concerts (mostly by their music faculty or student ensembles) every Friday at lunch time. Took my son, and we both enjoyed a free concert.

Hurray for finding a way to get a live music fix on the cheap!

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #2313 on: January 30, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
Signed up to volunteer at a music festival as an usher. I would have paid to see the concert, but I'll get to see it for free. Saved $25. Plus, my volunteer shift will earn me another concert ticket, so I can see the next evenings concert for free, too.
I love this method! Whenever my favorite singer/songwriter comes to town I volunteer to work his merchandise table.  I get to see the show free and he usually throws in a t-shirt or poster at the end as an extra 'thank you'.  It's a fun way to see the other side of it, as I also get to constantly field questions like "omg when is he gonna come out?!?" and laugh at how fan-girly I must have been in the beginning of our friendship.

I resisted buying anything to eat at Starbucks today (I usually don't but I was hungry).  Had to go somewhere to get out of the house as it was being shown by a realtor.  Been trying to eat through my pantry since I'm moving, dinner tonight was rice + beans + chicken + leftover pasta sauce.  One of my college staples... really brings me back!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2314 on: January 30, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
Turned off the hot water heater because I'm heading out of town; took a big deep bath in the hot water before it cooled off.

Used "status match" to get frequent flyer status on an airline I only occasionally fly (hey, free lounges are free lounges).

Consumed nothing but free airport lounge food and wine all day.

On the downside, I took a taxi to the airport instead of walking (because freezing rain).

Single in the Suburbs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2315 on: January 30, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
I used 1/3 of the normal amount of shampoo - would never be able to tell the difference.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #2316 on: January 30, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
Shuffled some money around from my savings and paid off my student loans five years early.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2317 on: January 30, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
Shuffled some money around from my savings and paid off my student loans five years early.

Congratulations!!!!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2318 on: January 30, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »
Printed out a ton of coupons (at work) and took advantage of a super Catalina where I got a bunch of free food and $10 on top of that (when you take Catalina - cost). Another (less awesome but still good) Catalina got me 4 DiGiorno pizzas for $0.97 each, or about $0.40/meal equivalent (cost/800 calories).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2319 on: January 30, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »
1) Made granola bars for our day trip tomorrow. Also, made 70 buns -- some for the trip, the rest for the freezer.

2) Turned heat off during the day, back on for the evening though.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #2320 on: January 30, 2015, 09:00:02 PM »
Made "energy balls" to start using up some random ingredients and to infuse some extra "health" into our systems.

Have the thermostat 3 degrees lower and using the space heater in the bedroom as an experiment to see if it will bring down the power bill.

Loaded the free weekly item from Kroger to my card.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #2321 on: January 30, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »

Congratulations!!!!

Thanks! Doesn't even feel real!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2322 on: January 30, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
Our above ground pool suddenly sprang a leak, very near the bottom.   We drained it down about half way and to keep from draining it all the way down, I climbed down into the pool to patch the hole.  It was 39 degrees out there.  Probably saved me at least  $100 in water fees, but I hope I never have to do that again.

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #2323 on: January 30, 2015, 11:15:28 PM »
Took a roommate. Rent down by 400

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #2324 on: January 31, 2015, 03:42:48 AM »
Instead of going to the store to get some, I made coconut milk from dried coconut that I had. Worked really well for my recipe!

wild wendella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2325 on: January 31, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
Cut cable TV, kept cable internet and added netflix.  Net gain of about $70 a month.  Started using Ibotto for grocery coupons.  There isn't a lot of savings there, but every little bit...  For my parent's birthdays I gave them $250 towards their new car fund.  I opened a capitalone360 referral account for them, so I will get $20 and they will get $25.  Net gain = $45 in free money for opening a savings account.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2326 on: January 31, 2015, 02:41:43 PM »
Walked to the gym. 
Longer than usual walk with the dog (2 hours)
Cooking from our food stash.  I made black bean chicken quesadillas with leftover shredded chicken (froze it last weekend when I made too much for enchiladas).  I made soft pretzels to eat tomorrow. 
Plan to make a few more items this weekend, but I'll have to pick up about $10 worth of groceries.  Butter, brown sugar, and avocados.  I'll walk to the grocery store too.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2327 on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
Made more pizza dough in the bread maker today. Would have made bread too, but I'm out of flour until I go grocery shopping Sunday

Yesterday I used up the last dough and made pizza. I had no cheese, I didn't have enough tomato sauce (technically I still have a full can left, but I had very little homemade tomato sauce left), I had no pineapple, and nothing that was a usual pizza topping. AND I didn't want to go to the store because I'm waiting until Feb 1, so I had to get creative. Used Thai Chili sauce on half the pizza, with a few frozen veggies and ground venison. The other half I just used peanut oil and spices. Then I used some ground meat and the rest of the tomato sauce to make a dip for the spice pizza. OMG delicious. Thai Chili pizza was ok, but it's missing something and I'm not sure what.

Exchanged feeding my downstairs tenant's cats this weekend for a free dinner next week.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2328 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »
Made flour tortillas, used (free) re-fried beans and spices to make burritos (14 of them). Froze 12 of them for future lunches. Each one cost me like $0.05 :).

CreativeRamblings

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Creative Ramblings
« Reply #2329 on: January 31, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
Signed up for online savings account, much better rate than my local bank.  Every little bit helps.

bobbyj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2330 on: January 31, 2015, 05:09:47 PM »
Increased the deductible on our homeowners insurance.  Pretty big win.

sheepgetlambs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2331 on: January 31, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
Fixed our sink/dishwasher air gap myself. Consolidated our pantry food shelves to better see what we have and try to eek out a third week in a row with less than $20 grocery purchase.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2332 on: January 31, 2015, 07:04:04 PM »
Picked up portable food to take on my business trip this week; will walk the ~6 blocks from hotel to grocery store to get some fruit and veg when I get there.  Hoping to only eat dinners out during my trip.

Got photos, video and measurements today and am working with a shop in the UK to take advantage of the current exchange rate to get a new saddle @ about 30% less than if I bought the exact same thing from a US shop.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2333 on: January 31, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Bought two new kinds of loose green tea at an Oriental grocery store.  Noticed that they had a sale on tapioca starch and grabbed it on the way out.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #2334 on: January 31, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
Usually I stock up on shredded cheddar cheese when it is on sale, but I found myself out of cheese and resigned myself to paying the regular price of $4.99 a pound. When I got to the store I noticed the two pound blocks were on sale for $5.99, so I gave the cheese grater at home a workout, saved $2.00 a pound, and now we're stocked up on cheddar cheese for probably a couple months.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2335 on: January 31, 2015, 09:40:07 PM »
Accepted some awesome second-hand things from my Mom, who is moving.

A queen-size bed - between her and new housemate they had 4, and needed to get rid of one - my 10 year old is incredibly stoked to receive it, its great quality, and will last him into adulthood

A few pairs of second-hand work shoes - coming from my mom, I don't mind that they're second-hand, as we are the same size/foot shape, and she always buys decent quality.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2336 on: February 01, 2015, 12:19:28 AM »
Took the family to a free all day event at convention centre -- it was excellent and kids came home with lots of freebies.

Took a picnic dinner to the event.

Alchemilla

• Stubble
« Reply #2337 on: February 01, 2015, 02:36:56 AM »
Picked up portable food to take on my business trip this week; will walk the ~6 blocks from hotel to grocery store to get some fruit and veg when I get there.  Hoping to only eat dinners out during my trip.

Got photos, video and measurements today and am working with a shop in the UK to take advantage of the current exchange rate to get a new saddle @ about 30% less than if I bought the exact same thing from a US shop.

Wow transatlantic saddle fitting? Thats brave. Its such a big spend isn't it?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2338 on: February 01, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »

Wow transatlantic saddle fitting? Thats brave. Its such a big spend isn't it?

Yes, it's scary, but it's just a modification of the same model I already have, and there are no dealers within 1,000 miles of me, so I'd be doing everything remotely no matter what.  I'll be holding my breath until I've strapped it on my horse and my butt's in the seat though!  My first custom saddle and hoping it lasts me for the 20 or so working years my horse has ahead of her.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2339 on: February 01, 2015, 02:10:36 PM »
The plastic pitcher I use to chill drinks finally broke after six years of constant use, so I had to get a new one at Target today.  I used a gift card leftover from Christmas so it didn't cost me anything.  I then baked a fresh loaf of french bread using our bread machine and ate a lunch of leftovers from last night's homemade dinner.  Then, I read a book.  What a good day.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2340 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »
Made scones for snacks at work
Made hot chocolate mix
Remembered to use a coupon for dog food purchase
Fried up some previously boiled potatoes with veggies to take for lunches
Had leftovers for breakfast and lunch
Found a pet store within walking distance from home that can order the type of food I use for pup. Though it remains to be seen if it will cost less yet.
Used sewing machine to repair a shirt.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2341 on: February 01, 2015, 04:33:27 PM »
Filled a thermos and packed a 50 cent box of granola bars to take with us hiking today.  Came home wet, cold and hungry and warmed up the last of the chili plus some added leftover beans.  The Hub said, "I had forgotten how GOOD this chili is."

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2342 on: February 01, 2015, 08:25:01 PM »
Watched the Super Bowl on my laptop for free, instead of spending $$XX,XXX to go to the game. Does that count?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2343 on: February 01, 2015, 10:30:30 PM »
Brought snacks from home and a steel water bottle on the plane today.  Filled the bottle after going through airport security, and had enough snacks to avoid going out to dinner after making it to my hotel.  Drinking some free in-room tea and going to bed.  Scoped out the cheap street food vendors on Yelp so I can grabl lunch for under <$5 tomorrow.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2344 on: February 01, 2015, 10:46:37 PM »
Repaired a friend's top in exchange for a take-out coffee. 

February is 'don't buy coffee or chocolate' month in our house, so this little bartering exercise has preserved my precious half-jar of ground coffee for another day :)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2345 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:31 AM »
*  Working on collecting tax documents so I can get that done and get the refund into savings!

*  Donated bag of cat food (minus one portion) to local animal shelter to bless someone else.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2346 on: February 02, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »
Today I found a pet sitter who will live in my house while I'm away for 15 days next May through a reputable source (also I noticed that this pet sitter and I have a mutual friend not associated with said reputable source).

Her rates are only slightly lower than the boarding place I usually take my pup, but no sales tax. Also I would have to drop him off the day before if I was taking him to the regular place, which has an added cost of 1 night. Between the lower cost, no sales tax, and 1 less night, I calculated $80 savings!

Also I save 3 hours worth of driving time and fuel cost, since she comes to my house and the boarding place is 45 min away. AND I get a free house sitter. Pup gets less socialization, but gets to stay at home.

Not confirmed yet, but she's available the days I am gone and is coming over on Friday to meet us. :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:34:45 PM by Cookie78 »

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2347 on: February 02, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
Just tried to fix some unset grape jelly with chia seeds.  A friend recently told me she makes chia seed strawberry jam and her kids can't tell the difference (she just tells them its strawberry seeds).  So, I googled some recipes and mixed 1/4 cup chia seeds into a pint of unset grape jelly and will check on it in a couple of hours or in the am and see how it went.  If that worked I will do it with the rest one jar at a time so I don't have to recan it.  I may try it with some blueberries we have in the freezer too that need used up.

In case this doesn't work...lots of things you can do with jelly/jam that didn't set well.  Stir in yoghurt or oatmeal.  Add to BBQ sauce as the sweet component. Add to club soda to create your own soda pop.  Add to a smoothie.  Use a meat glaze. 

Some of these ideas work better with some flavors than others.  Just don't ask me how I know all these techniques for dealing with less that perfectly gelled jelly. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2348 on: February 02, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »
1) Hung a load of laundry

2) Lots of varieties of tea made at home today to keep me warm

3) 1 gallon of milk becoming jars of yogurt

4) Furnace off during the daytime

5) Soup stock from Friday's chicken bones is becoming a chicken-barley-vegetable soup in the crockpot for tonights dinner. Buns made Friday will be toasted with a little cheese to accompany the soup.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2349 on: February 02, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »
Walked to the library to pick up the books I ordered.  Thought about stopping for coffee on the way home but came home and made a pot of tea instead.  Perfect after a wet, cold walk.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!