Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3816649 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12850 on: March 14, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
In the truly small stuff vein, I bought my son's birthday gift through ebates before clicking through to Amazon. Amazon almost never has an ebates deal that works with any of my purchases. But, I do it whenever I remember, just in case. Saved $.39.

And, found $.11 on the ground over the last couple of days. #rich

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12851 on: March 14, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
defrosted fridge that we thought was broken.  it works now
we were ready to buy another

SimpleCycle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12852 on: March 15, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
Walked home from work yesterday, saving $2.75 and getting some exercise.

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #12853 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
Gradual change I'm working on that carries the greatest level of delicacy - very subtly encouraging DW to trim back her work lunches out.  She used to bring lunches or stop home for lunch almost all of the time, but as her job responsibilities/stress grew, she converted to eating out at work basically every day, often with a friend or two.  Since her pay was going up as well, and she seemed to be using it as a coping mechanism, I didn't object in any way.  Over the past year I've been trying to whittle away at this cost without overtly criticizing or even pointing it out directly.  More of a leading by example, but without any preachiness.

Some progress - she now seems to be eating at home 1-2 times per week, and actually considered occasionally eating at work (with her office door closed, as she needs some time to escape the incessant demands of her co-workers). 

Man, those lunches get expensive, and as I've sliced our food costs elsewhere, they're really starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12854 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
Bought several boxes of generic greetings cards. Works out between 25p and 40p per card rather £2+.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12855 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
i guess this counts, paradoxically:

playing 1230$ for repairs to my old car in hopes i can get it to pass inspection, be safe, and get another 100k miles

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12856 on: March 15, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
Two days ago I scored 10 boxes of childrens valentines for $0.10 a package. I got stuff that was relatively timeless, generic unicorns/superheroes/snoopy. I'm set for several years of valentine exchanges for my children.

At the same time I bought 11lbs of bananas for $0.216/lb, normally its $0.77/lb. They were overstocked and needed to clear them out. Some were perfectly ripe, others needed an extra day. They're all going in my belly or the freezer for smoothies or shakes. Freezing them at the perfect ripeness is a life hack I started a few months ago.

This weekend I'll try some Banana Ice cream recipes I found online.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #12857 on: March 15, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
Went to the service desk a few weeks ago to get a raincheck for a sale item that the store ran out of and today redeemed it for two of the item.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12858 on: March 15, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Not me but husband: fixed my daily driver today with parts he got at a junkyard in the outskirts of the nearest city yesterday. We hit a deer on the way home Wednesday night, and it needed the front grill, both headlights, the AC fan, and a variety of other expensive piddly bits. Would have been thousands at a collision center (would have totalled it, really, and it's a diesel Jeep we searched months for). We paid $168 plus the fuel to the junkyard. And his time, which was really the biggest sacrifice just now.

MoolahLula

• Stubble
« Reply #12859 on: March 15, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »
I visited the grocery before work partly because I knew I would not have the energy after work, and so that I could get something decent for my lunch.  I bought some salami/mozzarella roll ups and a couple bananas.  Stocked some snacks away for future crisis days. 

Tomorrow I’ll be awaiting delivery of my new washer and dryer.  I used Ebates to make the purchase and cashed in some airline miles on gift cards to pay down $200 of the total price.  Ebates owes me a about $17 cash back for the purchase.  I’m looking forward to clean, thoroughly rinsed clothes again. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12860 on: March 16, 2019, 02:02:15 AM »
Pegged my washing on airers as it's very wet in Sydney today, and rain is forecast all week.

Pulled two half-portions of leftovers out of the freezer and ate them for a late lunch.

Washed two large coffee jars for pantry storage.

Stocked up on a couple of toiletry items that were on sale this week.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12861 on: March 16, 2019, 05:09:58 AM »
Gradual change I'm working on that carries the greatest level of delicacy - very subtly encouraging DW to trim back her work lunches out.  She used to bring lunches or stop home for lunch almost all of the time, but as her job responsibilities/stress grew, she converted to eating out at work basically every day, often with a friend or two.  Since her pay was going up as well, and she seemed to be using it as a coping mechanism, I didn't object in any way.  Over the past year I've been trying to whittle away at this cost without overtly criticizing or even pointing it out directly.  More of a leading by example, but without any preachiness.

Some progress - she now seems to be eating at home 1-2 times per week, and actually considered occasionally eating at work (with her office door closed, as she needs some time to escape the incessant demands of her co-workers). 

Man, those lunches get expensive, and as I've sliced our food costs elsewhere, they're really starting to stick out like a sore thumb.

It's a luxury that she can get home during the workday! For days that she can't, is it an option that you box lunches for the two of you so that both of you can bring your own lunch?

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12862 on: March 16, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »

It's a luxury that she can get home during the workday! For days that she can't, is it an option that you box lunches for the two of you so that both of you can bring your own lunch?
Funny, I was just going to ask the same thing.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12863 on: March 16, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
- We did a big grocery shop today and stocked up on items that were on sale.
- I darned a sock that had a hole in it. It's a hiking sock so it's pretty expensive to replace. They are also way easier to darn than regular, very thin socks.
- Had a free lunch at work yesterday and the lunch was so big that I didn't eat a real dinner yesterday, just a bit of yoghurt.
- We're having a friend over tomorrow and we are able to make all food from items in the freezer / pantry.
- I worked on a sewing project

This is not strictly saving, but a customer for my side hustle reached out to me and asked if I could do a small thing for him over the weekend. No problem, I was just going to hang out, watch Netflix and do some cleaning, so one or two hours of billable work is actually a nice break. I have only started less than a year ago and for both tax and business purposes I try to invest most of what I make back into the business. I need a new laptop within the next 3 months, so I can use the extra money :)

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #12864 on: March 16, 2019, 08:30:17 PM »

Funny, I was just going to ask the same thing.

My lunch is pretty simple and not something to box up for her, unfortunately.  I work out/lift weights at the gym at work during my actual lunch period, and then my lunch is a post-workout protein shake, a granola bar or two, and some nuts at my desk.  Not a lunch I would foist upon her.  Not a bad idea, though, to explore whether she would be more inclined to try lunches at work if I would put forth the effort to box something up for her.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12865 on: March 17, 2019, 12:29:03 AM »
I've posted elsewhere that my department at work has been sold.

As part of this, my manager has resigned.

This week she asked if I would continue to work for her in a freelance capacity for a couple of hours a month (in a way that doesn't conflict with my ongoing role with the new company).

I would have done it for free (it's worth much more to me to maintain this professional relationship, in case I decide the new company isn't for me).

But she insisted on paying me and offered me $200 a month. Not a bad side hustle, for work I was doing anyway.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12866 on: March 17, 2019, 12:40:25 AM »
It’s finally getting warm and DD wanted ice cream from McDonalds. We went home and I blended a banana, a mango, and a cup of yogurt together, and made popsicles. Gave the leftovers to DD as “melted ice cream”. She loved it.

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #12867 on: Today at 10:32:49 AM »
Went to NYC, took a self-guided walking tour, explored Central Park, and ate in Times Square all for $18 out of pocket.

A friend had to drive into the city for work so gas, tolls, and parking were reimbursed.
He invited me to tag along so all that I had to pay for was food.

Considered throwing a can of soup in my pocket (half joking) but felt that the experience of eating at a Times Square restaurant was worth $18 including tip.

Got a pulled pork sandwich with fries and a cup of water.

So much fun!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12868 on: Today at 02:41:55 PM »
My son earned some money raking yards and I matched his earnings so he could deposit them all in his Roth IRA. 

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12869 on: Today at 04:12:36 PM »
I saw that fuel price in Melbourne was on it's way up again.  I filled the motorbike for $1.22 per litre, rather than the new pricing of $1.55 per litre.  I only put $16 in the bike, which will do me for a couple of weeks.  I figure it saved me about $4.20, just for being observant.