Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021038 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11800 on: August 28, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »
I wanted to post something on this thread, but I didn't spend any money. Does this count?
Absolutely!  You don't have to spend money to save money!

I also won't spend any money today because I did the usual--packed my lunch, made tea at the office, and will run/shower at work.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #11801 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
Just one today:
Today I used the superglue at work to clue my "work Crocs" for a second time. 
I've worn these every single day for three, maybe four years now.
They're the Croc Alice shoe... and now that Crocs is going out of business, I don't know what I'll do for shoes when these wear down.  They look almost brand new though, I just wipe them down occasionally and have had to glue the sole twice.  Not bad for $19.99 (What I paid when I bought them).

I never thought I'd wear Crocs for ANY occasion, let alone at work, but they look dressy, are rugged, and recover from dog walks before/after work very well.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11802 on: August 28, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
Just one today:
They're the Croc Alice shoe... and now that Crocs is going out of business, I don't know what I'll do for shoes when these wear down.  They look almost brand new though, I just wipe them down occasionally and have had to glue the sole twice.  Not bad for $19.99 (What I paid when I bought them).

I never thought I'd wear Crocs for ANY occasion, let alone at work, but they look dressy, are rugged, and recover from dog walks before/after work very well.

I thought Crocs was just closing its corporate owned factories?  They will still be in business, just subcontracting the manufacturing.   

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #11803 on: August 28, 2018, 12:30:19 PM »
Oh, I dunno… Guess I need to google that. :)

Just one today:

I thought Crocs was just closing its corporate owned factories?  They will still be in business, just subcontracting the manufacturing.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11804 on: August 29, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
-Free breakfast & lunch at work
-Drove electric car to work
-Paid licensing fee via credit card vs check for some extra miles (pay off our credit card every month)
-Will make dinner from leftovers

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11805 on: August 29, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »
Remembered to cancel a credit card before the annual fee was charged.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11806 on: August 30, 2018, 01:41:43 AM »
The usual, bring my own lunch to work and walking to work.

Yesterday I was at home and made pancakes from some leftover ingredients. And used a mushroom stew from self-picked mushrooms as filling. Tasted well.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11807 on: August 30, 2018, 04:15:57 AM »
I'm on a short two-day work trip, and as usual I brought food with me and will smile later as I pocket Employer's food per-diem payment.  They give us $50-$70 per day, depending on the city.  Food I bring costs me $5-$10 per day.

(It isn't just about the money; I prefer to eat what I want at my leisure, rather than have to hunt for a restaurant.  Plus I have lots of serious food allergies, so restaurants are inherently risky.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11808 on: August 30, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »
I've put off grocery shopping for yet another day (I haven't been in a couple of weeks) in favor of clearing out the freezer and pantry. Tonight's dinner will be salmon with dill and lemon (freezer, pantry, produce drawer), sautéed brussels sprouts with bacon (produce and meat drawers in fridge), and potatoes in some form (pantry). I'm also planning to make cherry-vanilla soda syrup (cherries bought in bulk and frozen, vanilla and sugar from pantry). I think tomorrow's dinner will be some form of alfredo with chicken and broccoli (freezer stocks) to use up a couple of partly used bags of dried pasta.

tungu2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11809 on: August 31, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
Put a chocolate bar back on the shelf at the supermarket

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11810 on: August 31, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
Bulk cooking & eating down food storage
Made peanut butter cookies instead of buying ice cream
Made lunch for a friend instead of going out to lunch

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11811 on: August 31, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
Friday night dinner was from the freezer rather than going out. I spiced up the burgers by making some caramelizad onions and homemade buns.

I started a new knitting project from stash/leftover yarn instead of buying something new.

We’ve been making use of the library for my 3-year-old’s books instead of buying them. I’m making notes of the books he asks to check out again and again so grandparents can buy them for Christmas.

Signed up for a new free trial of Netflix and put a reminder in my phone so I don’t forget to cancel.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11812 on: August 31, 2018, 06:37:12 PM »
Okay, I broke down and went grocery shopping today. I spent $13.08 at the local produce market for 5 full bags of fruits and veggies. Then I spent $22.62 at Aldi for several kitchen and fridge staples. Previously, I’d spent more than twice that amount for a similar quantity of food at standard grocery stores. Between this food and our pantry/freezer stock, I should be able to skip grocery shopping for another 2 weeks.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11813 on: September 01, 2018, 12:48:18 AM »
Biked to work, per usual. Ate the two provided meals at work. Grabbed my afternoon snack from the food table at our main office since I had to drive over there this morning for a meeting. Also picked up a couple of aluminum cans from the parking lot to add to my stash to turn in for cash.

Cooked the last 6 of a carton of eggs so that we'd have hardboiled on hand instead of spoiled eggs :P Used one plus a can of tuna to have a super cheap and quick lunch, along with some crackers left over from a party.

Used some old postcards to write to far-flung friends. One of my favorite hobbies is collecting old postcards, then writing inspirational or funny quotes on them and mailing them to friends. They're cheap at thrift stores and yard sales--I've often gotten them for free just for asking. My friends are very enthusiastic about it! I once visited one that had them taped all over her fridge. All of my people know that I love stamps and stationery, etc, so I often receive them as gifts.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11814 on: September 01, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »
Passed on having lunch out.  Ate leftovers at home.
Planned an exciting dinner at home instead of making a reservation.
Bought snacks for my flights next week instead of buying food at the airport.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11815 on: September 02, 2018, 05:16:02 AM »
Walked to the cheap supermarket to stock up on staples like canned tomatoes, cheese, milk and flour.  Brought lunch to the pool with the kids to avoid buying lunch.  Downloaded books from the library for the kids and me to avoid buying books.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11816 on: September 02, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
I cleaned out my closet. I really don’t need anything new so that will save money.

Also planning to send a few things to consignment, no experience with this but I’ll there is a store close by.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11817 on: September 02, 2018, 08:52:16 PM »
* Picked up a dirty pillowcase I found in a parking lot; used it to dust off my bike which I store outside and collects a lot of freeway particulate dust over time. I will wash the pillowcase in hot water and add it to our linen closet.

* Bought the dollar store generic version of something instead of the brand-name version at CVS; saved $10-15 each.

* Harvested the one whole apple our Pettingill tree grew this year!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:34:23 PM by jengod »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11818 on: September 03, 2018, 02:20:56 AM »
I'm going back to school this week and will start a new job in a few weeks, so I'm expecting a busy autumn. Which is why I have tried to prepare for it this weekend:
- Cooked an insane amount of fried rice yesterday, about 8 - 10 portions. Froze most of it.
- Got the winter clothes and blankets a bit earlier than normal. They are washed and then stored in bags under our bed in spring. We haven't needed the winter blankets yet, but they're in their bag in a corner of the bedroom. I cleaned our cupboard and put the winter clothes back in and made a list of items of clothing I still need to buy for the upcoming winter. I have 2 neat office outfits so I will wait with buying any other office clothes until I'm sure about the dress code at my new job. I certainly need a new pair of jeans and a new pair of boots since I have 0 jeans and only my hiking and snow boots left.
- I have promised to bring cake when I visit friends tomorrow, so I will be baking it at home. I might bake several cakes while the oven is hot and freeze the others.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11819 on: September 03, 2018, 08:53:35 PM »
- Last week on a run, I took a break at my turn around point to watch the fish jumping in the river.  While there, I spotted a fishing lure.  I pulled it out of the water with a stick and cached it in a pile of brush at the base of a tree, since I wasn't going to try to run 3 miles carrying a fish hook.  Today I went back and picked it up whilst the Frugal Boyfriend and I were picnicking by the river.  It's a Mepps Aglia in a color I often use... and worth $4-5.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11820 on: September 04, 2018, 01:01:49 AM »
In 2 weeks DH still have a week of holiday left. DH needs to have an operation some time soon, but hasn't received a date yet. It is getting more and more delayed. So it looks like we can have the vacation before the operation. That means it can become an active vacation as well.

We have been discussing the options. We want it to be really flexible, so that if the operation is suddenly there, we can change plans. DH found last minute flights to Crete for a good price. But then we calculated what the total cost of a week in the south of Europe would be and that was quite high.
Alternative is hiking in the mountains for a week. This is very weather dependent. Not nice to be hiking a week in the rain. Also, the evenings are coming early this time of the year, so we might not be sitting outside the tent for so long. Fishing season for trout is closed.

We landed on going hiking in the mountains for half a week and going by car to the coast for half a week, with the purpose of free diving. We will combine this trip and hiking somewhere on the way to the coast. Both things cost very little, only a few nights on a cheap campsite along the coast. Hiking in the mountains in our tent is for free. Of course there is the cost of petrol and toll roads, but it is much less than 2 plane tickets and a rental car for a week. Now we just need to select a 3-4 day hiking trip, which is easy to improvise anywhere. We were both happy with the plan. And we can let the weather decide on the sequence of events.

Dianalou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11821 on: September 04, 2018, 12:33:05 PM »
Upping my work schedule today from 20 hours to 32, so I guess money made in that regard.
Packed lunch, ate breakfast at home (impulse pumpkins muffins that were on the bakery discount rack ...)
Meal prepped for the week with things we already had around the house
Had no-spend adventures with the family this weekend, hiking on Sunday and a 15 mile family bike ride yesterday. The toddlers did well in the trailer, though they started bickering on the way back when they were past their nap time.
Also trying to use up some fragrance oils for my side business. Noticed that I had a bit of pumpkin spice and espresso, so I jumped on the Pumpkin Spice Latte bandwagon for Fall and made a PSL soap. Turned out nice and does smell good. Hopefully it sells!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11822 on: September 04, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
Marcela, if you have space in the freezer, you can freeze the milk and finish it when you get back. It's nice to have milk already in the house after a trip, but you need to remember to put it in the fridge in time for it to melt before you need it.

I packed lunch yesterday and today, and I brought my own teabags as usual.

I watched some shows on Crunchyroll and had a long chat with my Mom over Skype instead of going out this evening.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11823 on: September 04, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
Ate lunch and dinner at work, per usual. Bought a new coffee pot for the office on my 1.5% cash back card, for which I'll be reimbursed by the end of the week. I bought it at Target, and didn't get ONE SINGLE OTHER THING. Just the coffee pot! In my pre-MMM days that NEVER would have happened. I got a few Shopkick points while I was there, but only spent on the coffee pot.

Combined the $150 rent credit I got for signing a new lease with selling some items on FB Marketplace to make a double car payment for this month.

Took a hot bath in the epsom salts I got for free by answering a survey from my internet provider for an Amazon gift certificate.

Read a library book for entertainment. Now I'm off to make some plain stationery into thank you notes with a $2.50 stamp and some creativity

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11824 on: September 05, 2018, 03:28:29 AM »
I brought my 6 year old to work today but instead of going to the cafeteria for lunch as we normally do, I brought ingredients for her favorite pasta and we're going to make that for our lunch in the work kitchen.  She actually likes this pasta better than anything we could buy so it's a win-win.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11825 on: September 05, 2018, 03:59:38 AM »
Continuing on our mission to map out the cheapest groceries in my town, I checked out a new scratch-n-dent/discount grocery store.  I only have one more store to check out (a 'regular' grocery store that I just never go to for some reason), and then our grocery research of the whole town will be complete. 

Background -- We have a spreadsheet with the items we regularly buy, and have entered the prices for those items at all the stores, so we can compare apples to apples (literally -- ha)  and plan out our buying.   We save loads of money annually by doing this. 

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11826 on: September 05, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »
Our grill finally died and we decided that since we will sell the house in less than two years, we’d just get a cheap grill.  No grills on clearance anywhere until we checked Kmart, they had a Kenmore grill on 50% clearance for $135.  But it rang up at the register for $81 and then the cashier told us due to special promotions, we’d get $10 in a cash card back immediately, $25 in points back in a week and another $25 in points back in 30 days. 

I also inventoried the pantry, not bad except for some lingering freebies I’m not sure what to do with.  What would you do with them?  I’m thinking the food bank, but maybe I’m just not being creative?
Eight cans of Luck’s pinto beans – mushier than reg canned pinto beans and my first thought is refried beans, but we are not big refried bean fans. 
Two huge cans of condensed minestrone soup – like 5 times a regular size can of soup.  Not sure if I can freeze half when I open it.  Pretty easy to dress up with fresh spinach and herbs, but I don't know if we would eat a gallon of soup before it went bad in the fridge.   
Six boxes of assorted cake mixes – no one in our house eats sweets other than ice cream. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11827 on: September 05, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »
We went to a barbecue on Monday, & the host packed a couple of to go plates for us. That became dinner last night.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11828 on: September 05, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »
- Eating down the fridge in prep for our trip. Choosing potatoes as the starchy side instead of dried pasta or rice. Anyone have any good recipes for using up milk quick?

bread or rice pudding
pork shoulder braised in milk? I've never tried it, but it is intriguing.

Yogurt

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11829 on: September 05, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
Had a doctors appointment by Target, so I went in to get some of the $0.50 Colgate I'd seen on special yesterday when getting reimbursable stuff for work. I tried to find some printable online coupons, which would've made me money, but no luck. I was able to get enough Shopkick points to get a $2 gift voucher, so I got 4 boxes. Between my voucher and bag credit, I spent $0.12 (tax). Then I remembered my Ibotta app, and there was a $0.25 credit for purchasing any item at Target. So I got paid $0.13 to get toiletries!

I don't normally pursue these kinds of deals, but I've got the apps and was already nearby, so it worth it for a year's supply of toothpaste.

At the doctor's appointment, my only concerns would be taken care of by application of medications she's already prescribed me, so no new prescriptions to pay for. Also, I've been diligent healthwise, and am able to go to once a year checkups instead of every six months. $50 saved per year and making good choices for the win!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11830 on: September 05, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
~WM Savings Catcher balance is over $12.
~Had club soda while out with friends last night instead of the usual 2 cocktails
~Attended a soft opening of one of my dad's establishments and he bought me dinner.  I brought the leftover half of my salad for lunch today.
~We were overcharged for our take out last Friday, so I'll get the refund tonight after work.
~Food for an upcoming camping trip will include a few sale items, the rest will come from what we have on hand.
~Speaking of, the Crock Pot concoction I made yesterday to use up items wasn't too bad according to DH:  A can of chicken, breakfast sausage, frozen spinach, cottage cheese, mozzarella, seasoning, and a jar of Alfredo sauce.
~I semi-Konmari-ed my side of the closet last weekend resulting in the donation of over 100 items, and a new way of assembling work outfits.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11831 on: September 05, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »
I also inventoried the pantry, not bad except for some lingering freebies I’m not sure what to do with.  What would you do with them?  I’m thinking the food bank, but maybe I’m just not being creative?
Eight cans of Luck’s pinto beans – mushier than reg canned pinto beans and my first thought is refried beans, but we are not big refried bean fans. 
Two huge cans of condensed minestrone soup – like 5 times a regular size can of soup.  Not sure if I can freeze half when I open it.  Pretty easy to dress up with fresh spinach and herbs, but I don't know if we would eat a gallon of soup before it went bad in the fridge.   
Six boxes of assorted cake mixes – no one in our house eats sweets other than ice cream.

I'm almost certainly too far away, but I'd take the cake mixes if I could. If you heat up a slice of unfrosted chocolate cake in the microwave and then put some vanilla ice cream next to it, that could be nice. Or make up a cake to take somewhere.

Minestrone soup might be nice with grilled cheese sandwiches and salad. If multiple people were eating it as a meal, it might not seem so big.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11832 on: September 05, 2018, 09:40:04 PM »
I got my flu shot at a grocery store pharmacy; insurance covered the cost and then I got a 10 percent off coupon up to $200. Will see if I can stack the savings somehow.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #11833 on: September 06, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
No meat was on sale at the supermarket, so I'm having a meat-free week. Obviously Canadian produce season is a good time to do that, anyway...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11834 on: September 06, 2018, 04:48:12 PM »
This was a few days ago, but still.

I figured out that 'min' and 'max' in a freezer don't correspond to temperature, they correspond to cooling level.

So, our freezer has been on super cold for the last 6 years. Now it is on medium.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11835 on: September 06, 2018, 08:18:19 PM »
I always have cake mixes in my cabinet to make cake mix cookies.

Cake Mix
2 eggs
1/2 c vegetable oil

Blend together, place on greased cookie sheet in tablespoon-sized scoops. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes for soft cookies, 10-12 for crunchy.

I've tried every cake mix available in my area, and they all turn out great. Even the $0.85 store brand from the grocery. You can add nuts, raisins, extracts, coconut, peanut butter, etc. Roll in colored sugar or sprinkles or powdered sugar.  I've made them a dozen different ways and they always get rave reviews.  It costs about $1 to make 1.5-2 dozen cookies.  I can make an entire batch in 36 minutes, so they're perfect for last-minute get togethers or impromptu thank you gifts.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11836 on: September 07, 2018, 10:51:13 AM »

I figured out that 'min' and 'max' in a freezer don't correspond to temperature, they correspond to cooling level.

So, our freezer has been on super cold for the last 6 years. Now it is on medium.

Forgive my density, but what is the difference between temperature and cooling level?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11837 on: September 07, 2018, 05:08:16 PM »

Forgive my density, but what is the difference between temperature and cooling level?

Min in a freezer means low power/minimum cooling (ie, not very cold). Max means FREEZE ME HARD, coldest setting.

So the min and max is about what the device does. For an oven, MAX means HOT. For a fridge or freezer, MAX means cold.

I was.. foolishly... reading it as a temperature scale, where MIN meant COLD and MAX meant nowhere near as cold. Minimum temperature. I was reading it as a temperature scale.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11838 on: September 07, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
I bought a used Prius this week that did not come with a cargo cover for the hatch area. I use my car for home visits for work, and frequently lock my laptop and purse in it, so I need to conceal my belongings. Checked ebay, and they started at $20+ with another $20 in shipping. So I made my very first trip to a junk yard and got one for $25. It was even the right color. Then the junk yard guys gave me free troubleshooting when I couldn’t figure out how to turn the car back on when I left. Lol
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:00:02 AM by Stachetastic »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11839 on: September 07, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
I transferred a prescription to a local grocery store with gas station. Got $2.00 of per gallon for the transfer, up to 20 gallons.  My car doesn't have that big of a tank, so husband and I went together- filled my car up, then filled his car up to get the whole 20 gallons. That's $40 saved.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11840 on: September 08, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »
This was yesterday, but I was really craving mozzarella sticks.  I had decided to cave and buy some at the cafeteria at lunch, but since I usually don't bring my wallet to lunch, I forgot it.  Ended up not buying anything because of my ingrained habit of not having money on me.  As a bonus, one of my coworkers didn't finish her fries and gave them to me, so I got to satisfy the fried-thing-craving at no expense.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11841 on: September 08, 2018, 10:48:24 AM »
Got fiften litres of high quality motor oil for my car for free from a friend who has switched car, and thereby oil quality.  Now I have oil for the next three oil changes fixed. :)

And this morning, I made scones for breakfast. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11842 on: September 08, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
Stuck to the list at Costco (always a win), & made lunches from leftovers.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11843 on: September 09, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
My favorite houseplant was getting root bound, so today I hit the Osh Hardware store-closing sale  and picked up some potting soil marked 15 percent off. The new larger pot was curb-shopped for free.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11844 on: September 10, 2018, 02:29:02 AM »
I just spent 3 nights in a tent. I went to a hobby conference in a town on the other side of the country and had to fly there. The suggested hotel there was too expensive for my taste. I stayed at the campsite in the town at approx $23 a night and I ate hiking food instead of having dinner at the hotel.
I walked to and from the hotel, 5 km each way. So my only spend is the plane tickets and the train tickets from my house to the airport. I chose the cheapest train alternative.
The conference fee is covered by the club I'm a member of.

Unfortunately I ended up having 2 ticks on my body, maybe because of camping so close to the sea. I hate having those.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11845 on: September 10, 2018, 03:48:22 AM »
Used a new, free credit card within a week and got a 10$ startup-bonus for that.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11846 on: September 10, 2018, 07:37:24 AM »

Min in a freezer means low power/minimum cooling (ie, not very cold). Max means FREEZE ME HARD, coldest setting.

So the min and max is about what the device does. For an oven, MAX means HOT. For a fridge or freezer, MAX means cold.

I was.. foolishly... reading it as a temperature scale, where MIN meant COLD and MAX meant nowhere near as cold. Minimum temperature. I was reading it as a temperature scale.

Ohhhh I get you.  Nice one!

Relevant to topic: had a little freelance gig out of town and opted to hitch a free ride with a coworker early instead of taking the train, which not only saved me $20, but I also got free breakfast to boot.  The gig itself also had free lunch, AND since it was for a charity raffle, I assumed I was doing the job pro bono, but they ended up paying me a couple bucks.   All and all a good day for saving/earning money.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11847 on: September 10, 2018, 08:02:48 AM »
1. Signed up for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa.  Cost me $10 to unfreeze my credit with a single bureau (thought it was now free, but evidently not), but received a $70 gift card, and now will get 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases - of which there are many - rather than the 2% we've been getting. 

2. Fixed a leaky sprinkler system joint myself.  Installation performed years ago was faulty, and I've been fighting leaks ever since.  The leak was getting to be quite substantial, something that escaped my notice until a recent water bill came.  I finally gave up on the various jury-rigged solutions and set myself about cutting some pipe.  So far, so good!

3. As part of the above repair, rode my bike to the hardware store.  Just hit 1000 miles since revamping my transportation lifestyle to a bike-centric one, at least where I can control it. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11848 on: September 10, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
1. Signed up for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa. Cost me $10 to unfreeze my credit with a single bureau (thought it was now free, but evidently not), but received a $70 gift card, and now will get 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases - of which there are many - rather than the 2% we've been getting. 

Will be free starting later this month.  Sep 21st sticks in my brain.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11849 on: September 10, 2018, 09:51:11 PM »
Made 14 jars of crabapple jelly tonight from free apples from a neighbors tree. Hopefully it sets properly or I’m going to have a lot of crabapple syrup! Used the other half of the apples to make apple sauce earlier in the week.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!