Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8028752 times)

thisisjeopardy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11700 on: August 06, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
I just received a renewal for an American Express card and I owe $50 membership fee. I have not used this card in years and want to call and cancel it but have heard it affect your credit rating. Is this true and why would credit be affected by getting rid of a credit card? My credit rating is way, way up there so I am not really that concerned. Anyone have advice?

I churn CCs for bonuses and close them out all the time. Some credit nerds will shriek in horror when reading this, but my FICOs are high 760s. Yeah, I'll never reach 800, but I'll get the same prime rates as anyone with an 800+ score but I won't be paying annual fees on multiple cards.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #11701 on: August 06, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
The Aldi near my work has them for $0.60, the other Aldi is $0.69 I think.  There's also a Food Lion (awful grocery store otherwise) on my route home from work that always has one of the store brands knocked down to $0.65.

I never thought about hard water ruining coffee makers, but I've lived in so many places and in some.. my coffee makers were ruined after living there for some time.  Interesting!

- Stopped myself from buying an energy drink at the gas station.  I'm SO TIRED this morning and had two dog walks (my side hustle) before work, which means I had to start my day around 4am.  I remembered I had some of those Aldi brand energy drinks in the fridge for an "exhaustion emergency" (aka at least once a week, sadly) and slammed one of those instead for about $0.50 vs. $3.00.

- Did not eat breakfast, but ate leftovers from a work party last week instead.  They were a little bit stale, but whatever, somewhat healthy, free... I needed some fiber, fat, and calories... it doesn't have to be an amazing meal every time.

- Harboiled a ton of farm eggs before they went bad.  Now I'll have eggs to crumble on top of all of my meals this week to up the protein.

- Installed a water filter on my kitchen sink that my landlord paid for.  They insist it will filter out the sediment and make the water drinkable.  Hopefully now I can stop buying jugs of spring water.  We've had SO much rain that our well has been saturated and the water kinda yellowy for about a month now.  It seems ok to bathe and do dishes in, etc.  But I have not been drinking it nor giving it to my dog to drink.  I go through about a gallon a day, and at $0.60/Gallon, it's been more than I wanted to spend

Where do you buy gallon jugs of water for $0.60 a gallon? The cheapest I have seen around here is $0.89 a gallon. We buy bottled water to put in our coffee machine. My water is super hard and ruins coffee makers if I don't use bottled water.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11702 on: August 06, 2018, 10:05:30 AM »

Where do you buy gallon jugs of water for $0.60 a gallon? The cheapest I have seen around here is $0.89 a gallon. We buy bottled water to put in our coffee machine. My water is super hard and ruins coffee makers if I don't use bottled water.

You list your only reason to by water for coffee as financial. I can buy a $20 coffee maker any day of the week. With time, I can get a used, higher quality one at Goodwill for $7.

Are you claiming you can only get 23 pots of coffee before your hard water ruins a coffeemaker? Really? Less than 1 month?

We also have hard water. Our makers still last years. Just run a few cups of vinegar through the maker(pass it through 2 times in a row), then run 2 pots of water and discard.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11703 on: August 06, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »

You list your only reason to by water for coffee as financial. I can buy a $20 coffee maker any day of the week. With time, I can get a used, higher quality one at Goodwill for $7.

Are you claiming you can only get 23 pots of coffee before your hard water ruins a coffeemaker? Really? Less than 1 month?

We also have hard water. Our makers still last years. Just run a few cups of vinegar through the maker(pass it through 2 times in a row), then run 2 pots of water and discard.

Vinegar is also a great general cleaner.  It'll also help to keep the coffee maker clean (in addition to removing the hard water buildup).

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #11704 on: August 07, 2018, 06:20:21 AM »
- I was so dang tired on my commute home last night that I had resigned myself to allowing myself to eat out for lunch today at work Vs. putting together some meals + snacks (I eat a lot of little things throughout the day and am often gone for 12+ hours).  By the time I got home I decided I could power through.  I set a timer for 20 minutes, and promised myself I would only do what fit in that 20m... and packed my lunch, did my chores, set out my clothes for work, and took a shower.  Yay!  Go me!

- Brought homebrewed coffee with almond milk to work with me Vs. store/cafe bought.

- Figured out a way to work one of my personal errands in to one of my work errands so that I won't have to make an extra trip.  Work is ok with this.

- Started shopping on Tire Rack dot com as I know I need new tires soon (and I used to be that person who would just go until one blew out (scary, always), throw a donut on it for a few days, and THEN solve the problem, but that's too stressful, I'm getting ahead of it this time!)… Also spoke to the mechanic at our fleet vehicle shop at work so that I'll be able to use that shop at a discounted rate to put the tires on when they arrive.   

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11705 on: August 07, 2018, 06:58:04 AM »
It's 38 C outside today, we've had extremely hot and dry weather for more than a month now. My local supermarket is clearing out their socks and underwear isle to make space for the next season's collection (yes, there is such a thing as sock fashion ... apparantly) and the prices are always extremely low. Normally the most common sizes sell out in a very short time, but when it's 38 C outside, no one thinks about buying socks for the upcoming autumn / winter. I bought 7 new pairs of socks for €3 :) 

Plus, due to the weather we haven't had a proper hot meal in days. It's just too hot to prepare any food and we're living off sandwiches and fruit. This saves a bit of money.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11706 on: August 07, 2018, 07:42:03 AM »
We had a terrible spending day, because my husband made an error in a flight purchase. It took, no joke, almost $1k to fix it. Unfortunately, this is not his first super expensive mistake this year. So, our "wins" below, come nowhere near offsetting that snafu.

-Drove our electric car to work
-Free breakfast & lunch (work)
-Carpooled with another mom for camp drop off & pickup, cutting commute in 1/2.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #11707 on: August 07, 2018, 09:12:51 AM »
Made pesto pasta from basil in my yard for everyone, instead of eating out.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11708 on: August 07, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
Bought a large amount of really cheap green beans, cleaned, parboiled and froze them. Hopefully this will be the last year of buying beans, I want to harvest my own next year!

Found a 10% off code for the bus tickets we're buying to visit a friend this weekend. Tickets are only €8, but every little bit helps. We are encouraging the friends to select activities that are not too spendypants, but with these friends I'm not sure.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #11709 on: August 07, 2018, 01:46:46 PM »
Went to State Fair- bought discount tickets ahead of time for $8 each.
Made two salads for lunch- all from leftovers.
Made tomato sauce from free tomatoes my sister gave me.
Plan to have eggs in purgatory (eggs in tomato sauce) for dinner, also from free eggs from my sister.
Got $2.16 for doing google surveys.

Gladis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11710 on: August 07, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Scored 2 free tickets to wonderworks in orlando (I don't recommend this place.)  Then looked up how much it was to park (10 bucks!) and proceeded to park 2 blocks away for free.

Enjoyable free day with my son, if I dont count the gas spent.   

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11711 on: August 07, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »
We had a terrible spending day, because my husband made an error in a flight purchase. It took, no joke, almost $1k to fix it. Unfortunately, this is not his first super expensive mistake this year. So, our "wins" below, come nowhere near offsetting that snafu.

Maybe you should take over major purchases in the future.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11712 on: August 07, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »

Maybe you should take over major purchases in the future.

I handle all of our family travel, plus my work travel bookings & personal travel (e.g. just me, or just me + the kids), but my husband has been on his own for trips that just involve him. . . I don't disagree with you.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11713 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
About a month ago I started a new job that I can walk/ride my bike to. I've only driven twice in that time--once on my first day when I wasn't sure of the bike parking/walking safety situation, and today for an off-site training. I still rode with another attendee to the lunch.

Lunch was paid for, and I got enough to carry out for lunch tomorrow of a delicious and healthy meal. Packaged snacks were also provided, so I had some there and brought one home for later. I brought my metal water bottle and refilled it throughout the day.

On the way home I stopped and did a work-related errand for my boss that thrilled him and saved him a separate trip. I was even able to drop off the items to him at our location the same day so he didn't have to wait. It wasn't even one block out of my way, so wins all around!

I talked myself out of making a salon appointment, and just cut my own fingernails and polished my toenails. No one cares but me, as long as they aren't jagged or covered in chipped polish. My CEO doesn't even 'do' her nails, why should I?

Another plus of this position is that the work attire is decidedly more casual and machine-wash than my last position. I'm not required to wear a blazer or pantyhose or high heels. Easier on my body and my dry cleaning budget! I spent the first two weeks in the back warehouse-type area where I didn't see clients, so got to wear very casual clothes, some of which were provided by the company.

Best part? I get two meals a day provided AND a $150/month meal allowance!! My grocery budget is decidedly different than the previous month!! It's not always the healthiest options, but I try to pick and choose or have smaller portions of the carb-heavy items. Breakfast is at home and is usually a piece of fruit or leftovers from a previous meal, then lunch and dinner are provided. Gotta love less shopping, cooking, and cleanup!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:33:30 PM by okcisok »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11714 on: August 08, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »
Lots of free food at work today:
 - Coworker brought white peaches from the tree in her yard and was passing them around.  I must have looked very enthusiastic, because she offered to bring me a bag of them later in the week, next time she picks.  I'll make canned peaches with whatever she brings me (less a few for eating, of course!)
 - Another coworker brought in a leftover fruit salad and left it in the breakroom.  People do that a lot with food they want to get rid of, but it's usually cake or candy.  Having fruit was a nice change.
 - Work has started free fruit Wednesdays at the cafeteria, usually bananas and oranges
 - Work is having an ice cream truck this afternoon, free ice cream!

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11715 on: August 08, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
Yesterday:

- Resisted buying a perfume I really wanted just because it was a good deal
- Made dinner out of leftover rotisserie chicken and leftover cabbage (tacos! yum!)
- Resisted stopping for fast food on the way home from dance class even though I was famished

Today:
- Was going to go to the grocery store after the gym for a snack but it was closed, so yay!
- Free donuts at work!
- Brought whatever food I could find around the house instead of going out for lunch
- Hopefully more as the day continues!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11716 on: August 08, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
~Brought the usual coffee, breakfast, lunch and snacks to work today.
~Going to carpool to a function 1.5 hours away this evening.  The ticket, which includes dinner, cost a bit, but is tax deductible.  I brought my clothes to change into rather than driving 15+ minutes home to do so.
~Still haven't seen the credit for the office LL change-in-services-without-me-knowing snafu, so I'll call before making the payment next week.
~DH has started harvesting our garden.  So far it's produced 2 yellow squash, an eggplant, 2 cherry tomatoes, and a ton of herbs.  He said 3 more eggplants, 2 squash, and jalapenos are nearly ready.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11717 on: August 09, 2018, 12:41:00 AM »
Rode my bike to a business meeting about 10km away. It's a very nice trip through the countryside, and yesterday was the first not-so-hot day after weeks of extremely hot weather. When i left home it was about 21C. Now, I don't own a car, so I have been riding my bike throughout the heatwave, but I would have taken the bus to this meeting if it had been very hot (to avoid arriving very sweaty and smelly), so it still counts as saving money to me. The funniest thing is that my customers were so extremely surprised about me biking that distance. One of them lives about a km down the road from their office and they still drive....

I have been buying more convenience foods while working crazy overtime for 3 weeks. I still tried to go for the more healthy option and I got paid about €250 a week extra, so I didn't mind too much, but I'm happy to tell I've been able to succesfully switch back to my normal eating / shopping pattern.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11718 on: August 09, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
- Found some free walking tours to fill in our days in Paris during our trip next month. They come highly recommended and should help offset some of the pricier things we're doing. Still tracking to be under budget.

This is great @marcela!  We're hoping to get there next year and I'd be interested in hearing more about your trip!  I've been spending lots of time on the Tom's Guide to Paris website; he has lots of low-cost and free suggestions too. http://www.tomsguidetoparis.com/TomsGuideToParis.php   

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11719 on: August 09, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »
Yesterday I had a small "party" - just invited a bunch of friends over to play cards (free). I bought two six packs and a bag of chips ($23). People ended up bringing drinks and snacks and I ended up with more snacks than I started with and had an entire six pack of beer left over. Score!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11720 on: August 09, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
It wasn't today but last week I dropped Collision on my car. Since I pay upfront for the year I'll be getting a refund check for several hundred dollars. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11721 on: August 09, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
-Grocery store had a 'gift basket give away' drawing. While waiting in line, I dropped my husband and my names in. Lo and behold, he won! So we'll pick that up today. I forget what it said it had in it, but I think it includes a GC to the store.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #11722 on: August 09, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Not today, but recently the wife's 2007 Prius got the red-triangle-exclamation-point warning light and a bunch of other warning lights. Codes revealed it was probably a common failure item on these models, a water pump for the inverter. I was able to track one down locally at Advance Auto and used one of their frequent coupons to drop the price to about $100, and then I was able to replace the part in about 30 minutes by removing the driver's side headlight. Pretty simple, and saved me a bunch of cash over the dealership or another mechanic.

Also have about two weeks left on this month of my wife's current wireless plan before we switch her to Sprint for the free year. It's only about $4 in taxes over there. I'll take it!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11723 on: August 09, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
Had to get some tests done at a hospital that is annoyingly far from the subway/difficult to get to from where I live. I was going to just say 'fuck it' and take a cab part of the way there, but I found that there was a pretty quick bus route that intersected with my most convenient subway, so it was almost as fast as a taxi and free with my monthly pass. Probably saved $20+ round trip. And I had a nice chat with a lady sitting next to me, who I think noticed I was looking nervous and started showing me funny pictures on her phone :-)

Simple Dad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11724 on: August 09, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »
Took a sack lunch to work instead of eating out.  Made it to day 16 without buying/drinking soda.  Instead I brew tea at home and work which is much cheaper and better for me.

bucketsofrain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11725 on: August 09, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »
- took home iced coffee from work that was going to get tossed at the end of the night (coffee shop)
- got a free salad for my work lunch
- had work leftovers for breakfast (noticing a trend here...)
- got a big bag of free okra from farmers at the market who remembered I asked if they had any last week!
- didn't have to pay for my T ride home since the card reader was broken
- read a library book

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11726 on: August 09, 2018, 09:02:35 PM »
-Had a craptastic day. Almost took the kids out for dinner. Instead, scrounged in the fridge & made separate dinners for everyone (because of available portions of each dish).
-Drove electric car & charged for free at work

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11727 on: August 10, 2018, 06:43:36 AM »
- sent an extra contribution to my IRA this morning
- dog sat for the past week, made $250!
- harvested a bunch of tomatoes and chard from my garden

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11728 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
-Had a craptastic day. Almost took the kids out for dinner. Instead, scrounged in the fridge & made separate dinners for everyone (because of available portions of each dish).

Just curious, how much does it cost to charge a car?

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11729 on: August 10, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »
- Counted up all my spare change I'd been saving for a while and rolled it up - that's $20 I didn't have before!
- Making stock out of veggie scraps and the bones of a rotisserie chicken
- Took a survey and made $15

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11730 on: August 10, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
* Used our battery tester on one of our emergency flashlights and found that I only needed to replace one of the two batteries.
* Cargo biked the distance to my sons' school and back (3.5 mi) instead of using the car.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11731 on: August 10, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »
  • Bought cat treats for CHF 0.80 instead for 2.00
  • Bought matches for half-price as nobody is allowed to make fire. But as they won't go bad we will use them next year

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11732 on: August 11, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
I procrastinated for a couple months on replacing my two pairs of walking-around sneakers, because I wasn't finding something I liked at less than normal retail. Thanks to my stubbornness, I was ready when a great sale popped up and I got a pair of leather Pumas for $60!  I was preparing myself to pay double that.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11733 on: August 11, 2018, 12:34:23 PM »

Just curious, how much does it cost to charge a car?

If we were paying, it would be $.12/kWh (estimate), or around $3.48 for 100 miles. Since buying the car, we've saved the equivalent of buying 325 gallons of gas. In our area, that's worth about $1200.  We haven't had to pay to charge, and don't even have a charger at home, so we just do the gas cost savings conversion.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #11734 on: August 11, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »
I harvested my dried up snap peas for their seed.  I had thrown out all of my retained seeds last year as I wiped my life clean post-divorce, so these first seeds gathered again feels very satisfying after buying commercial seeds this spring as the mother crop.  In the spring I bought 13g of snap pea seeds and just harvested 55g from that, and never have to buy pea seeds again.  My plan is to build a bunch of heirloom seeds again to be able to start my garden for free annually, and am staying fully organic to date with no plan to change that.

I planted crimson clover as a cover crop where the peas were and hope I can see some fall color before the winter takes them.  I have never done that before but read that the clover will be a great till-under plant next spring for its nitrogen and organic matter. 

Feeling good today. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11735 on: August 11, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
Rode my bike to work (yesterday afternoon, rode home at about 3 am this morning), despite it being a bit more inconvenient - had to plan out a shower at work due to the irregular commute hours.  People at work thought I was crazy riding home in the middle of the night, but I don't see it as that big of a deal - I have lots of bright lights and reflectors, and almost nobody is around.  The great thing was that I didn't even consider driving in; it's becoming ingrained after 7 straight weeks. 

Also, tonight we were trying to figure out dinner, and there isn't much to eat in the house right now with a planned vacation starting tomorrow.  I gazed longingly at some fast-food coupons I (perhaps stupidly) keep around, then eventually found some vegetables that would probably spoil while we're away, the dregs of some lunch meat, and cooked up a couple of omelettes.  Pretty tasty, and saved us some cash as well as a terrible nutritional decision. 

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11736 on: August 12, 2018, 02:47:22 AM »
Homemade soup and foccacia bread for lunch instead of dinner and we will pack sandwiches and drinks for dinner tonight.  No expenses for food or drinks on a day out.
Our first destination isn't very frugal, we have to go back to the castle we visited this week cause our daughter forgot her cuddly toy there. Luckily, there is another interesting museum in the same area so we will visit that. Entrance is free with our museum cards.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #11737 on: August 12, 2018, 05:27:14 AM »
Replaced a $.30 gasket in my MIL toilet to save her a couple hundred dollar plumber visit.

mxmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11738 on: August 12, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
Trying to do a no-spend day since yesterday I had to replace my lost laundry card, which cost $10, and lost the money on the card which was about $15. Also bought a book I didn't need but wanted.

Helped cut my boyfriend's hair and he offered to help cut mine (I have short hair) - it looks great! I cut my own bangs and they look much better than the last time I tried (12 years old).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11739 on: August 15, 2018, 01:16:01 AM »
On Monday our primary car (2010 model) made a bad sound. It was taken to a car repair shop the next morning. It was a part that they replaced 2 years ago, so it will probably be a guarantee case.

Our second car (2002 model) was also making a bad sound. My DH thought it could be the brakes. Yesterday evening we took it to my work place where there is a bridge for cars. We took off the wheels. It turned out the brakes were not worn through, but very dirty. DH tried to clean as well as he could and added some oil, but he needed a file which wasn't there. We will go back  some time later this week, bringing a file. If the sound then isn't resolved, we will bring it to a repair shop.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11740 on: August 15, 2018, 07:42:30 AM »
Family wedding this week. Lots of expenses (Husband is in the wedding, we're giving a generous gift, etc), but we're also saving where we can.
-Some of my family lives nearby, so we're staying in a guest room. This saves $110 per night over the recommended hotel, which isn't pet friendly, plus we get free puppy care included by Pup's adoring uncle- puppy boarding is crazy expensive normally. And the Pup will be happier.
-I'm not in the wedding, just a guest, so I'm re-wearing a dress I already have. Bonus points, the other wedding I wore it to was very small and very few photos were posted online, so the bride will assume it's new, as I haven't worn it for anything else. (Yes, she's the sort of person that matter a lot to!)
-Bought sandwich makings etc so we can take our own food for lunches. We'll be up there doing set up then take down, and they don't have any food plans. Same vain, we're bringing breakfast supplies for where we're staying. Shouldn't be any need for meals out.
-Wearing shoes I already own. Husband had to rent a suit for $$$$, but at least we saved $25 by having him wear nice shoes he already owns.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11741 on: August 15, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Was able to remove a car from our insurance (gifted it to my parents). Additionally, have called our auto insurance multiple times about the cost of our coverage. They've been unhelpful, but I've continued to explore other options, including mileage updates for each car, as well as ensuring they had the correct driver attached to each vehicle. All told, saved over $600 on our coverage.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #11742 on: August 15, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »
Brought lunch to work from Taco Tuesday leftovers (TACO WEDNESDAY!)

Yesterday's lunch was provided by the bank that handles our 401(k) at work. Free financial advice (some of it was laughable) and free lunch.

Been using the produce from our garden for meals.

It rained so I didn't have to water (does that count?)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11743 on: August 15, 2018, 02:22:16 PM »
I sold my house and paid off everything I owed to everyone. :)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11744 on: August 15, 2018, 02:46:55 PM »
 - I thought I was going to have to buy a new phone, as mine was acting up after being dropped (dropping calls, not receiving messages).  Mentioned it to my Mom, and she said I can have her old phone since she just upgraded to a smartphone.  Score!
 - Picked up leftover sandwiches from the company picnic today that were about to be thrown away.  We'll have these for dinner tonight and probably lunch tomorrow as well.
 - Returned some books/DVDs to the library yesterday, but this morning they were still showing as checked out.  Called the library to ask, and looks like the person forgot to check them in prior to sending them back to their home library.  They are now on the lookout for them, and the issue is documented so I won't get any fines if they don't get checked in on time.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11745 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:27 AM »
I sold my house and paid off everything I owed to everyone. :)

That's not small; that's huuuge! Congrats @JLee!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11746 on: August 16, 2018, 07:00:27 AM »
Today:
Brought Coffee to Job #1 from home
Yesterday:
Avoided buying coffee at the way-too-cute-and-actually-modestly-priced coffee house right next to my gym.  I occasionally go in after a workout to get a coffee or tea and instead I went home and made some.

...so basically all of my wins involved coffee... LOL

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #11747 on: August 16, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
Brought lunch yesterday and today.
Brought coffee or made it at work.
Made some soup for backup freezer lunches yesterday.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11748 on: August 16, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
Yesterday:
Went to a free industry event. There was a lunch before at an Asian buffet restaurant, so I just stopped in toward the end and talked with my friends instead of eating there. On the way to the actual event, we stopped at a restaurant I had a gift card for. A sit-down lunch for two was $7 OOP.
I was invited to a fancier restaurant after the event, but knew it would be difficult to leave without spending at least $50 and drinking more alcohol. I joined a different group that went to a fast casual place right down the street from my house. I went home, ate a snack, walked my dog, and then joined them for a tall glass of water and lots more conversation. My friend cut my hair for $20, then I ended the evening by sorting out the linen closet into 'keep', 'donate', and 'so tatty they have to be tossed' piles. :)
I carpooled to the tasting and walked to the after party, so lessened my environmental impact as well.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11749 on: August 16, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
Payday yesterday:

Saved 50% off a hair product by finally redeeming my full punch card at my hairdressers.

Saved .40/gallon by using my value card fuel points for a savings of nearly $10!

Saved 25% = $95.65 on groceries by shopping the sales, and using paper and e-coupons.  Highlights included $1.75 off peeled shrimp, free frozen jalapeno poppers (a $6.99 value!), BOGO frozen breaded shrimp, and BOGO pork chop package of 4.

Received a $35 credit on my office landline/internet bill by calling them after my business bundle expired without any notice.  I'll put a reminder in my phone to avoid "surprise" expiration issues in the future. 

Instead of a full lunch, I took my niece for a frozen custard treat as a last hurrah before school starts.

I'm going to buy an annual discount card from one of the local HS football players tomorrow.  $20 gets us discounts to at least a dozen restaurants and a few other places.

I'll order the usual mail order RXs for 3 months at a time today which saves time, money and hassle from buying them monthly at the local pharmacy.

Sunday I picked up a penny.

We've been harvesting DH's garden for several weeks now.