Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3558006 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10500 on: December 30, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
Yesterday: went for a run with @marty998, cut my hair, and did most of my NYE food shopping at Aldi.

All day I wanted to eat creamy, cheesy potato or pasta, so I made a four-cheese macaroni from scratch for dinner. (The best tip Iíve heard for this is to freeze any odds and ends of cheese leftover from other things.)

Hmmmm....good idea on the cheesy pasta!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10501 on: December 30, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »
Yesterday: went for a run with @marty998,

We both had to drive to the start line, so that was a little unmustachian... but otherwise it was free :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #10502 on: December 30, 2017, 05:55:01 PM »
I bought masa and corn husks yesterday.  Cooked turkey quarters in the Instant Pot, making a stock at the same time.  Used the stock to mix up the masa, along with saved up tallow and duck fat.  Now to assemble ~100 tamales to freeze for easy dinners during busy times of the year.  Using up random items from the fridge as tamale fillings, along with the turkey and last year's homemade salsas.  All in, probably less than $20 for more than 20 dinners for two.

Made salad dressing out of homemade tahini and chili paste

Heating the house with firewood since last night.

Trimmed horses' feet myself, as always.

Keeping on doing groundwork with my horse in the snow instead of trailering up to the indoor arena (gas and arena use fee saved)

Yesterday I picked up the freezer lambs, and saved a friend some gas by also picking hers up, since she lives ~1 mile from me, but the butcher is almost 20 miles away.  Cost per # of the lambs is a fraction of the cost for lamb or grass fed beef at Whole Foods, etc.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10503 on: December 30, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »
Did the grocery shopping and managed to keep it under the 2017 budget.

Avoided going out for pizza.  I really want pizza.  But I'm going to cook instead.

Made muffins yesterday from things we already had (I have some leftover buttermilk) and had my spouse make pancakes today too.

Needed to get the kids outside (we live in So Cal, they've been indoors a lot because we like to hang at home AND there's a lot of ash outside).  Took them to the beach (free), let them dig/ build/ search in the tidepools.

Have had the heat off (it gets down in the 40s at night), but that's just because the heater is sort of broken because of the ash.  We have a new filter on order, that should help fix it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10504 on: December 30, 2017, 06:10:29 PM »
Yesterday: went for a run with @marty998,

We both had to drive to the start line, so that was a little unmustachian... but otherwise it was free :)

You forget I donít pay for fuel. :D

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #10505 on: December 30, 2017, 06:20:24 PM »
I stayed home all day long! No driving and no shopping. I cooked a ton, we are some and froze some. I packed up three items to return from Christmas. I filed for the last$500 from my FSA for the year. Tonight I am going to outside and log all my donation receipts from this year, getting ready for tax time.

My MIL is encouraging me to join her in the Friday wood s Uber frugal Jan, which will be really good for me.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10506 on: December 30, 2017, 06:47:18 PM »
-- Returned a shirt to goodwill that didn't fit my husband.  Refunded the 3.50

-- Ran the space heater in the living area most of the day instead of heating the whole apartment to a warmer temp.

-- Was tempted to order pizza for dinner.  Instead I ponied up and made steak salad with Parmesan potatoes.. Yum!

nessness

• Bristles
« Reply #10507 on: December 30, 2017, 08:02:35 PM »
I walked to the grocery store, a little over a mile each way, with my baby and 3-year-old in the stroller. In addition to saving gas, I got some fresh air, exercise, and quality time with the kids, so a definite win! I'm now face-punching myself for not having done this previously.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10508 on: December 30, 2017, 09:46:44 PM »
I walked to the grocery store, a little over a mile each way, with my baby and 3-year-old in the stroller. In addition to saving gas, I got some fresh air, exercise, and quality time with the kids, so a definite win! I'm now face-punching myself for not having done this previously.

I did the same thing today. My neighbor saw me at the grocery store and I said that I had walked there. She knows I try to walk everywhere. She said she admired how I try to walk so much. I told her the weather was great for it and she agreed. Unfortunately I don't think her health allows her to walk as much.

I had a huge health scare last year and just having the health to be able to walk and bike and do all the physical things I used to do is a real blessing!

Wings5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10509 on: December 31, 2017, 12:02:37 AM »
Military discount for movie tickets on a date night!

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10510 on: December 31, 2017, 12:24:50 AM »

I did the same thing today. My neighbor saw me at the grocery store and I said that I had walked there. She knows I try to walk everywhere. She said she admired how I try to walk so much. I told her the weather was great for it and she agreed.

I also walked to the grocery store! I injured my back and we're having a cold snap, so it's tempting to be indulgent and get things delivered, but walking is good for my back so I'm trying to take small walks when I can. My willpower was wavering to the point that I was browsing Grubhub online and thinking about what I'd like to order for dinner...

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10511 on: December 31, 2017, 07:06:17 AM »
I stayed home all day long! No driving and no shopping. I cooked a ton, we are some and froze some. I packed up three items to return from Christmas. I filed for the last$500 from my FSA for the year. Tonight I am going to outside and log all my donation receipts from this year, getting ready for tax time.

My MIL is encouraging me to join her in the Friday wood s Uber frugal Jan, which will be really good for me.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

We're doing Uber frugal January, too, especially since we had a total of $589 in gift/car fixing/biannual alcohol purchases/unreimbursed health costs in December. We did preemptively zero out $150 per month in our budget for January through April 2018 to pay for the expenditures from December, but it will be good to try to keep our grocery expenses down during the cold winter & early spring months.

Lichen

• Bristles
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #10512 on: December 31, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »
Yesterday I:

* Made a loaf of artisan bread to use for our NYE fondue dinner. I was tempted to buy a $1.99 french loaf at the grocery, but c'mon, there's nothing easier than making bread when the mixer does the kneading.

* Made a week's supply of breakfast burritos for the freezer.

* Strapped on my ice cleats and went on a two hour stroll around the neighborhood when afternoon boredom set in, but pointedly avoiding walking in the direction of stores/coffee shops. I only walked 4 miles, but with the state of the sidewalks and roads it was a hard won 4 miles.

* Stayed home. I made a cheese and cracker tray from items on hand for dinner, we mixed weak white Russians with the homemade kahlua, and played darts. It's been more than a week since we were last tempted into a restaurant or bar!

Today is a lazy day at home. I'll make the fondue tonight, and then throw black eyed peas in the crockpot to cook overnight for tomorrow's hoppin' johns. No alcohol for new year's here, so that expense saved. Just hanging out with the kids, dipping food in cheese, and playing board games until I inevitably end up going to bed at 10 pm!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10513 on: December 31, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »
-Been saving money by hiding in the house with DH. After people left on Christmas, we've just been hanging out at home, eating leftovers, and gaming. Monday it's back to real life, but it's been nice to decompress and save money.

-Picked up an extra shift per week, indefinitely. This will obviously make money, but it also will likely save money- more shifts per week force me to meal plan more, since I don't get any breaks/lunches, so I have to have every scrap and morsel of food with me, no alternatives. But it isn't so much work now that I'm likely to increase other spending to make myself feel better. (Too many shifts per week and my alcohol and restaurant and snack food spending goes up on non work days).

tinylittlemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10514 on: December 31, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »
Friday: Target has the buy so many, get a gift card deal. I bought laundry detergent, dish soap, and toilet paper and used a previously earned $5 gift card and coupons. I earned a $10 gift card. Then I made a second purchase of kitty litter with the $10 gift card and earned another $5 card. I saved over $15 and walked out of there with a $5 card.

Saturday: I went shopping with a friend and spent $3 on two things I actually needed and then we went to lunch. I got water and no add on sides with my burger. Then the waiter gave us both a $10 gift certificate for our next visit. Lol

Sunday/Today: Iím going to go grocery shopping today. Going to focus on cheap and healthy eating this next month. Iíll hit up a club store (with my free membership!) and Walmart or Aldi for the rest. For entertainment tonight I have a redbox rent one, get one deal.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10515 on: December 31, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
Weather is cold.  Staying home all weekend, playing game after game of cribbage with the kids.  The competition gets fierce -- trash talking and all.  :)   Making a lasagna with ingredients on hand for dinner, and will mix a cai pirinha here at home to celebrate New Years.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10516 on: December 31, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
-Have been holed up in our house on the coast, relaxing & playing family games.
-Went for a nice walk with the family before they headed back home
-Made dinner for our big family celebration, where we typically would order pizza delivery.
-Plan to spend NYE grilling steak, drinking a nice bottle of wine we brought with us (alcohol is way cheaper in California) & spending some time with the kids, weather permitting.
-Will clean the house before we head out, saving the exorbitant $120 cleaning fee.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10517 on: December 31, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
Stayed home to watch church service via livestream, so that saved 54 miles of driving.  Walked a few errands for some morning exercise, picked up some flattened cans, which I'll add to the metal recycling pile. 

Used the extra hr not spent driving to photograph 30+ things for eBay selling.  It's overcast in our valley, so I needed to take advantage of the window of great natural light since I don't know when else this week it'll be nice.  (This means I have stuff to list when I rise before dawn and am ready to work hard and tackle the world.)

Going to two New Years Even get-togethers today, and we're bringing corn bread and a dessert.  Much, much cheaper than a night out on the town.  Happy to have mustachy friends who think soup night is a great idea for ringing in the New Year!

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10518 on: December 31, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »
My almost 3 year old face planted onto the corner of our stone fireplace this morning. Had a nasty cut above his eye that wouldn't stop bleeding for an hour, so we took him into urgent care. Had a nervous looking PA tell us that we'd either need to straight jacket hold him down while she stitched it up (after proclaiming that kids "make her nervous"), or we'd have to take him to the ER, where they'd likely sedate him to put in stitches. Remembered that my mom's neighbor is a trauma surgeon, and felt very uncomfortable with both options presented to us (nervous PA being around our kid, our kid being sedated). Called my mom, let her know the situation, she called her neighbor who said he'd be happy to look at it & advise the best course of action. He came over, said that steri strips would probably work just fine. He washed it, was pretty matter of fact with our kid, and bandaged him right up. Kid handled it with fairly minimal crying. Had some M and Ms, played with his grandma, and came home very tired.

Mom's neighbor saved us an ER visit, possible sedation, and at the very least, saved us a botched stitching job by a PA who looked as if she didn't care for kids.

Note: this was never about saving money, but it turned out that we got lucky in that regard. I was most concerned about kid being seriously traumatized by an inexperienced and uncomfortable medical professional, as well as possibly having to be sedated. His pediatrician wasn't open today, and wouldn't be tomorrow, either.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10519 on: December 31, 2017, 04:32:57 PM »
*Went for a walk in the sunshine with hubs

*Taking a cheese and crackers tray to a family-style NYE get together.

*Did a big shop at Superstore and used points to get $30 off my groceries. Starting Jan1, I'm going to try to save the points until next Christmas.

*Making a bean soup for a light dinner before evening out

ETA Made cheesy noodles mentioned up thread - scorched the bean soup and saved JUST enough for my husband and I.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:46:33 AM by 1967mama »

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #10520 on: December 31, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
I spent money to hopefully save money. I've started draft-mitigation at my mom's house. Neither she nor her husband are the DIY type, so I'm pretty sure that nothing's been done on the window and door seals in 20 years. Today I sealed 2 doors and 2 windows. I'll go back tomorrow to do several more windows.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10521 on: December 31, 2017, 06:41:11 PM »
I'm going off on mat leave, and I dont want to pay for one of my ultrasound continuing education provider's memberships (that I typically get my credits from) next year while I'm off. There's 30 credits due every 3 years to my ultrasound credentialing organizations.

So today I finished stockpiling credits for the triennium... did the last of the credits I'll need until 2019! I can submit them anytime, but I don't need to maintain the one education organizations membership next year. Saves $100 USD!

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #10522 on: December 31, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »
Stayed in- mainly because hubby has a very bad cold. Made a buttermilk pie from what I had on hand- very tasty. Opened a box of thank you cards ( that I had bought at a stationary warehouse sale) to find out that only the top one had Thank you printed on the outside of the notes! I could have used them but felt they were a little blah. Took some pretty Gift tags and glued them to the plain front - voila- attractive holiday cards. Thank you notes done and mailed out with discount postage.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10523 on: January 01, 2018, 01:42:35 AM »

- resisted the (strong) urge to hire bond cleaners for the house we just moved from- put in a solid 7 hours and the place looks great- means we will get our bond $$ back
-Started off my Łber frugal January with a no spend day, aiming for 20 this month!
-Cut DS hair

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #10524 on: January 01, 2018, 03:11:54 AM »
I planted button squash in the garden about 6 weeks ago. The plants are now happily producing (giant) button squash. I cooked one for dinner in the microwave with bits of home-cured bacon and cheese on top. (I almost chose the home-made feta for a trifecta, but decided the parmesan was a better choice). Dessert is a (large) glass of home-brewed lemon and orange wine.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #10525 on: January 01, 2018, 06:52:46 AM »
Spiffsome - your meal sounds heavenly!

Teachstache - I'm all for being socially awkward, but that PA that you saw was too much. I think things like "kids make me nervous" all of the time, but a medical professional should know better than to actually say such things to patients! And to suggest that you go to the ER for a cut quite defeats the point of having urgent care centres! I'm glad that it worked out regardless!

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10526 on: January 01, 2018, 07:40:23 AM »
- We spent NYE with friends, eating up Christmas leftovers. I'll have leftovers today for dinner too, I don't feel like doing much today.
- Friend lost weight and gifted me a skirt and cardigan she doesn't fit anymore.
- Since I'm spending the day in my PJs watching Netflix under a fleece blanket and cleaning my house, I haven't turned up the heating.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10527 on: January 01, 2018, 08:47:48 AM »
-Passed on going to a new wine bar (it allows for kids) & stuck with the plan of staying home & celebrating instead. We haven't eaten out, other than our first meal upon arrival, on an 8 day vacation, so feeling pretty great about that.
-Spent $0 yesterday.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10528 on: January 01, 2018, 09:05:57 AM »
[quote author=Sun Hat link=topic=10664.msg1834487#msg1834487 date=151481

Teachstache - I'm all for being socially awkward, but that PA that you saw was too much. I think things like "kids make me nervous" all of the time, but a medical professional should know better than to actually say such things to patients! And to suggest that you go to the ER for a cut quite defeats the point of having urgent care centres! I'm glad that it worked out regardless!
[/quote]

Yes, I knew that the PA was not a good choice when the front desk staff heard her comments, and rolled their eyes. After I said, "thanks but I think we're going to go elsewhere," the front desk staff said, "the PA never does steri strips. She only does stitches." After hearing a trauma surgeon say that steri strips fix most kid cuts, I'm inclined to try buying some & doing home triage first, before trying another urgent care facility again.

Hadilly

• Stubble
« Reply #10529 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »
Currently at the airport waiting for baggage, rather than pay an exorbitant $5 for a cart, my lovely spouse and child are out scavenging for one! We also took a really early flight that saved $400.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10530 on: January 01, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »
Packed NYE leftovers for to eat at work. I am so looking forward to my lunch, it's ridiculous.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10531 on: January 01, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
*Made a big loaf of french bread and started another batch (Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day)

*Fed the kids leftover NYE food for lunch while hubs and I had roasted cauliflower and sweet potato

*Using up new shower gels (from Christmas gifts) and shampoo/conditioner

*Stopped myself from spending $134 on a photobook I assembled online this morning! What the heck?!
Love the Chatbook app, but its great for 60 page albums ($8). I didn't know they would jack the price so much
for extra pages. I'm out...

*Enjoying the sunshine and view from my upstairs window today in a 35 year old hand me down lazy boy recliner. Ugly but comfy!

*Dinner will be bruschetta from leftover NYE food and the french bread I made

Thanks to everyone here for sharing on this thread in 2017. I really do love reading everyone's "small things" whereas so many other places online and IRL, people would be like ... HUH???

Lichen

• Bristles
  • We've got movie sign!
« Reply #10532 on: January 01, 2018, 04:20:13 PM »

Thanks to everyone here for sharing on this thread in 2017. I really do love reading everyone's "small things" whereas so many other places online and IRL, people would be like ... HUH???

I second the above!

Today I:

* Didn't spend or even leave the house.

* Did yoga with free videos and then ran up and down the basement stairs to get in some cardio (sidewalks are at the unsafe level of iciness, so no outdoor walking, boo!)

* Made black eyed pea soup (hoppin' johns) from dry beans in the crockpot. Also made a chive foccacia bread to accompany it.  My chives were insane in the garden last year, and I have a ton in the freezer to use up.

* Went through my school supplies and found everything I need for my classes -- no need to purchase anything new this quarter!

* started the uber frugal month challenge over on the Frugalwoods blog.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10533 on: January 01, 2018, 05:17:28 PM »
Yes, thank you everyone for this thread!  I check it every day, as a sanity touch-base.  :)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10534 on: January 01, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
I chopped up a roast that didnít get cooked over Christmas and was too large for the three of us, and used half of it with a butternut squash from the pantry to make a stew for dinner, accompanied by homemade sourdough muffins. The other half will be slow cooked and shredded for burritos later in the week.

We were housebound with a sick toddler, so it was an easy no spend day.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #10535 on: January 01, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »
-- Only left the house to feed a friend's cat while they are out of town.  They live just a few minutes away.

-- Still running the space heater to avoid having to heavily heat most of the apartment.  Day off for new years, so DH, I and the two dogs spent most of our day in the living room, in throw blankets and pjs.

-- Eating leftovers.  Succumb to take out pizza yesterday for NYE, but had drinks that were bought from the store, and ice cream from tubs in the freezer.  Thought about going out for breakfast today....make omelette's instead...lol

-- DH is traveling the next two days for work.  He will be reimbursed for expenses, so free food for him and leftovers still for me. 

-- Sold a tv stand yesterday!  We also sold the tv a few weeks ago.  We now watch our media on DH's extra wide computer monitor.  No extra bedrooms in this apartment, so the living space is also the office.  The office now does double duty as our entertainment station....saving us tons of space!

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #10536 on: January 01, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »
I have not eaten any food or bought anything today. I'm not sure this counts as saving money, since it's only because my fever is too high to want to.

If I wasn't sick I could have gone into work (earning money) or at least posted some things for sale on Amazon (potentially earning money at some future date).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10537 on: January 01, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »
-Made lunch for everyone before we headed to the airport
-Packed all of the leftover produce, except for the too heavy potatoes. Froze a few things that would freeze well & be easily used on a future visit.
-Cleaned the house before we left, to avoid the cleaning fee
-Brought back some extra pasta that we had at the vacation house. We don't go nearly often enough to have that much on hand, and we are running low at home.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10538 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:37 AM »
Spend new year's day rather than NYE at the bar. Sounds odd, but in my hometown traditionally bars offer free drinks on NYD. So by spending NYE at a friend's with supermarket-bought dinner and drinks, we headed to the bar yesterday for some free drinks (and as I had to leave early I didn't get to the point where I had to start paying).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10539 on: January 02, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »
Spend new year's day rather than NYE at the bar. Sounds odd...

Sounds awesome!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #10540 on: January 02, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »
Called and cancelled something I ordered that ended up being backordered.  Really just deferring spending because I'll probably buy a better version of the same item in a few months, but might be able to snag a used one on eBay instead.

This might go under Frugal Intentions Horribly Executed, but my horse is on 4 weeks of meds that are over $30/day.  I bought the first two weeks' worth at the vet @$35/day with a $5/day manufacturer rebate.  Then I thought I was being smart and ordered from an online pharmacy where I could get down to $28/day after mfr rebate.  Due to the holidays, filling the Rx was really slow, and I'm on my last day of the meds from the vet.  Called and upgraded to overnight shipping, so at least I won't need to buy additional doses from the vet, but that sort of wiped out any savings I would have realized from going through the online business.  Unfortunately I couldn't work up enough indignation to demand that they pay for the overnight shipping (med effect is cumulative; not OK to skip days).  OTOH, if I hadn't called, I would have had to go spend another $150 getting doses from the vet to hold us over until the others were shipped.  Boo.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10541 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »
Spent New year's Eve at home, eating homemade spaghetti and meat sauce. Watched Westworld with a free 30 day HBO trial, after toddler son went to bed early due to small injury sustained earlier in the day.

Spent New year's day at home lounging in our jammies, eating homemade bread with gifted chokecherry jelly. Drove the Leaf over to my parents' house & had dinner there (delicious tortellini soup made by my mom).

My mom offered to watch kid tonight so that we can see Star Wars tonight after spouse gets off work (I am still off work until Friday). Bonus: we received a $25 gift card to the theater, and Tuesdays are $5 movie night with free popcorn. We'll use gift card to see a movie (first time going out to a movie since the 2016 Star Wars movie came out), eat popcorn for dinner (not the healthiest), kid has free babysitting from my mom (awesome). Will use gift card to see movies for $10 as a couple on Tuesday nights, availing ourselves of free grandma babysitting, & using theater app rewards to earn 3 movies as a couple (plus popcorn!) for $0 out of pocket (ideally, that is. Theater could take away $5 Tuesdays at any point, well before movies that we actually want to spend time seeing.)

Spouse is ecstatic about seeing Star Wars (he was named after one of the main characters & was literally born while Star Wars played in the background at his uncle's house, so he has a lifelong love for Star Wars.) I am excited about movie theater popcorn & recliners at the theater.

I am off work, kid is using vacation days from daycare while healing from injury. No cost for daycare today. Cloth diapering the kid today & attempting to potty train him.

We will stop by the store to buy the trauma surgeon neighbor of my mom his favorite bottle of whiskey as a thank you gift for taking care of our kid's injury on Sunday. He saved us at least $220 at urgent care & most definitely a botched stitching job. At worst, we would have faced an ER visit with our entire $900 deductible due on the last day of the year. A $50 bottle of whiskey is the least we can offer him.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:53:07 AM by Teachstache »

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10542 on: January 02, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »

Spouse is ecstatic about seeing Star Wars (he was named after one of the main characters & was literally born while Star Wars played in the background at his uncle's house, so he has a lifelong love for Star Wars.) I am excited about movie theater popcorn & recliners at the theater.

Luke?  Darth? Hans? Chewy? Boba Fete?  Please tell me it's Boba...

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10543 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »

Interesting that you're presuming it's not Leia Organa.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10544 on: January 02, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »

We will stop by the store to buy the trauma surgeon neighbor of my mom his favorite bottle of whiskey as a thank you gift for taking care of our kid's injury on Sunday. He saved us at least $220 at urgent care & most definitely a botched stitching job. At worst, we would have faced an ER visit with our entire $900 deductible due on the last day of the year. A $50 bottle of whiskey is the least we can offer him.

This is really thoughtful and kind!

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10545 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:42 AM »

Ok... is he named Leia?  Jar-Jar?  Greedo? Yoda?
...given he's old enough to be married he's (presumably) too old to be named after any of the newer characters (Ray, Kaylo Ren, Snoke, Finn...)  But it's possible your spouse's name is... R2-D2?

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10546 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:47 PM »

I just think of it as a necessity. I wouldn't want my neighbors assuming that I'd be continuously willing to teach their kids to read for free, just because I'm a reading teacher. A few times, sure, but not continuously. I would never expect a trauma surgeon to use his expertise to help our kid for free, either. Expecting that would = being a mooch, which we most assuredly do not want to be.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10547 on: January 02, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »

Ok... is he named Leia?  Jar-Jar?  Greedo? Yoda?
...given he's old enough to be married he's (presumably) too old to be named after any of the newer characters (Ray, Kaylo Ren, Snoke, Finn...)  But it's possible your spouse's name is... R2-D2?

I was just messing with you ;) He's named after the main protagonist in the original Star Wars film. He likes to wax philosophical about how the circumstances of his birth directly resulted in his long-standing love of spaceships and sci-fi.

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10548 on: January 02, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
Set everything up to max 401k, HSA, and both IRAs for 2018! 1 hr of work now, for $34,900 more in savings (+ 8,300 more from employer so really 43,200) by this time next year. woo

posting here bc DH does not appreciate this awesomeness.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10549 on: January 02, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »

I just think of it as a necessity. I wouldn't want my neighbors assuming that I'd be continuously willing to teach their kids to read for free, just because I'm a reading teacher. A few times, sure, but not continuously. I would never expect a trauma surgeon to use his expertise to help our kid for free, either. Expecting that would = being a mooch, which we most assuredly do not want to be.

I agree with you 100%. It's sad to think that many would
just take advantage.