Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8028770 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8950 on: May 26, 2017, 12:59:48 AM »
Two weeks ago, my beloved rice cooker broke. I stood strong and didn't run out to buy a new one but instead ... gasp ... I made rice on the cooktop! As time passed, I kept thinking about getting a new rice cooker and then today ... BOOM ... it struck me! Make rice in my InstantPot. I googled around for a recipe and we had wonderful rice in my new InstantPot rice cooker!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8951 on: May 26, 2017, 06:16:28 AM »
I'm spending the day cleaning the house and making food/packing snacks for a road trip this weekend. While I'm at it, I'll make sure we have something ready to go for dinner on Monday evening when we get back.

Our toddler is about to outgrow his 2T clothes. We were super fortunate to receive a bunch of 3T hand-me-downs from a neighbor, which I inventoried and packed up last fall. I found a lot 15 items that almost perfectly filled in the gaps for $28 online, and I'll let the grandparents buy the new sandals and shoes he'll need soon for his birthday next month.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8952 on: May 26, 2017, 08:46:24 PM »
It didn't feel little, but I believe I saved myself about 223.00 today with some willingness and lots of physical work on a ladder....

We are getting our house ready to list and almost all of the lights needed updating.  We are hoping to stage the house ourselves, so we figure some investment now will serve us well in getting our house sold quickly.  We were ready to bite the bullet and spend close to 335.00 on new lighting, but I wished there was another way.  Several of our lights are simple gold lights that are in good condition, but bright gold.  I went to Lowes and found some heat-resistant, matte black paint and a small brush.  Without taking it down, I tried out the paint on one of the fixtures.  After a few coats of paint and a new globe, the light was indistinguishable from current lights on apartment therapy!  Hours later, half the can of paint, several brushes, and lots of up and down, bending, and craning of the neck, I managed to repaint all but 1 of the lights we were planning to replace!  Pending a few more globes, the lights look awesome -- like the matte black metal ones that are all the rage right now.  I'm a little stiff, and I will still be replacing the kitchen one entirely (too ugly to be salvaged!), but the price difference is easily 223.00, even after the new globes, paint, and brushes...

Now I wonder if I can hack some new looking interior doors somehow.....?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8953 on: May 27, 2017, 01:07:19 AM »
alewpanda! This is super impressive!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8954 on: May 27, 2017, 01:16:17 AM »
We moved recently and the sensor on the garage door was beeping for over 2 days. When I called a garage door repair place, they told me it would be $29 for the service call and $145 for a new backup battery (what he felt was the problem was a dead battery, beeping like a dead battery in a smoke detector.). I thanked him for his suggestion and said I'd call back if we couldn't fix it ourselves...I just didn't want to fork over that much cash unless I absolutely had to!

I finally had my able bodied adult son climb a ladder to unplug the opener and it kept beeping! grrr! I thought maybe there was something IN the sensors themselves by the door, like a battery or something that the garage door repair guy had mentioned about misaligned sensors. So I went right up close to the sensor on the door on one side and waited the 45 seconds for the next beep.

I couldn't believe it, but it wasn't coming from the garage door sensor at all, but a box in a huge pile of recently moved bags and boxes that was NEAR the garage door. Sure enough, there was a CO2 detector beeping away in one of the boxes*. I pulled off the 9v battery and the beeping stopped!

I saved myself $174 in unnecessary repairs ... and the CO2 detector would have still been beeping when they were done!

ETA: *We didn't have a CO2 leak -- the detector was unplugged from a wall outlet and the backup battery had died.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:51:09 PM by 1967mama »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8955 on: May 27, 2017, 01:49:30 AM »
1967mama, I have a very similar story involving multiple smoke detectors, a sleepless night, a ladder... And the culprit was also a CO2 detector in an unexpected place!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8956 on: May 27, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
Caught up with family today and gave some gifts for one birthday that has passed and one that is coming up. I picked up all of it either free from work or on sale.

Mum: Was this from work?
Me: Maybe... *suddenly feeling guilty*
Mum: Good, that makes me feel better that you didn't spend a fortune.

My mum loved her gifts and will absolutely use them, I just happen to receive a lot of free books and things through work so I always put them away for someone I know will appreciate them.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #8957 on: May 27, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »
I saved $150 by paying for my son's summer camp in full yesterday.  (not technically *today* but close)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8958 on: May 27, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »
My Opal card didn't process that I tapped off one day this week, so I was hit with a full fare.

I emailed them, and they issued a refund for the extra charge. Saved $2.44.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8959 on: May 27, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
It was actually an accident, but I booked a work trip to arrive at the hotel last Sunday.  Coworker then asked if we could leave early Monday morning instead.  Due to other life events, I totally forgot to call and change my hotel reservation, so when I arrived on Monday, it had been cancelled.  I was booked into a different hotel at the other end of town which meant no drinking beer with co-workers each night, so probably $50 saved there, and it also turned out that the hotel I stayed in is sending me a $20 Amazon gift card as part of their "rewards program."  I also brought a cooler with all my breakfasts and lunches so just bought coffee and three dinners out, and pocketed 3/4 of my per diem.

Today I checked through my CC rewards and cashed in almost $40 as a statement credit on one.  The other that had built up almost 4,000 points only pays .5c/point for statement credits, but will give me a $50 gift card once I hit 4,000 points, so I've made a mental note to use that card a bit to hit the threshold for the gift card.

Bought a saddle on eBay for $325 shipped.  If it fits my horse and I end up liking it, it will be a great bargain.  If I don't like it, I should be able to clean it up and flip it for $500-600.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #8960 on: May 27, 2017, 09:59:11 PM »
Back in March, I received an email with a link to $10 coupon to a local office supply store.  The coupon would expire at the end of May.  Today, I'm glad I found it.  The store had a special on dry-erase markers - buy one 4-marker pack, get second for 50% off.  Two pack of those markers are on the school supply list for next year. I paid $2.30 for both packs between the special and the coupon.  And a good start on school supplies that will be needed in early August. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8961 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:20 PM »
My feet have taken a bit of a beating this weekend due to inappropriate footwear. Had a weekend away with family and one-bagger me wore light leather flats and didn't pack other shoes.

We decide to walk the 1.5km to a certain shop, which became a race between my nephews in their strollers so I ended up running most of it. Then we kicked a soccer ball around. I went barefoot. This morning we went to a festival and my feet froze from walking on wet grass and getting my shoes damp.

So I am home now, sitting in my favourite chair with my feet in a bucket of warm water and some foot product my husband brought back from a hotel. Totally luxurious, and free!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8962 on: May 27, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
*Heated up some frozen spaghetti sauce and made some pasta for dinner tonight. So easy!

*Did baking for church (its my turn) with ingredients already on hand.

*Listening to Dave Ramsey podcasts for motivation. Those "debt free screams" really get me going!

*Keeping cool by drinking lots of ice water, keeping windows wide open and blinds closed, and fans going in the rooms we are using

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8963 on: May 29, 2017, 02:04:57 AM »
After a long weekend on a trip to Sweden we noticed on the way back that diesel near home was cheap. Filled up the tank. Usually Sunday is one of the cheapest days of the week. We also shopped a lot of food in Sweden where choice is better than a home and prices are a bit cheaper. During the trip we only spent diesel to get there, 2 and a half hours driving, one way and some road toll. Otherwise we bought a fishing permit for my DH and some cheap beer to bring along. Otherwise no money was spent during 4 days of camping. We saved some money by going to Sweden, instead of going on a trip to the west coast of Norway, what we had planned originally. That would have been 8-10 hours driving one way including a lot of road toll.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #8964 on: May 29, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
Local grocery store has a monopoly game- winning tickets must be redeemed by tomorrow. I had a bunch unopened game pieces so I spent this morning opening and sorting. I did not wn a million dollars but I won 8 different food items- walked to grocery store and walked back.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8965 on: May 29, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »
Last night I sorted out the latest stash of first-class airline toiletry kits from my husband. The moisturiser comes to work with me to stay in my desk drawer. The razors, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc, goes into the cupboard with the rest of the inventory. The zombies could come and I will still smell amazing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8966 on: May 30, 2017, 12:46:37 AM »
Walked to work today. Brought eat homemade lunch to work as usual. Hung out the laundry 2 days in a row.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8967 on: May 30, 2017, 01:00:00 AM »
Made bean burritos out of long-forgotten frozen black beans from the freezer (it's from tammysrecipes.com and is a family favourite)

Made a huge huge of iced tea for kids and teens.

Used up buns and cold meat from a birthday dinner last night.

Made a delicious chicken and cranberry salad from budgetbytes.com (every recipe I've tried from there is delicious)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8968 on: May 30, 2017, 05:21:01 AM »
Stayed home all weekend and burned no fuel.  Worked hard on various trees and plantings that will eventually supply us with more pears, cherries, figs, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

Thanks for the recipe websites, 1967Mama!  I will check those out.   

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #8969 on: May 30, 2017, 05:39:29 AM »
In UK & Ireland, we have a large supermarket chain called Tesco. They also provide credit cards with loyalty points which can be redeemed against several suppliers, energy, travel, leisure etc. Anyway, I have previously tried to channel as much spending as possible through the CC to generate points. I have accumulated several hundred € in vouchers. While looking at using them against a cruise - I know 'Hedonistic Adaptation'..facepunch!!, I realised that €63 worth would expire tomorrow! I have let this happen before and they have re-dated them but last time they made it clear they wouldn't do it again. So, I went online and ordered vouchers to use against my electricity utility company - €62.50 of points = €125 off next electricity bill! Great, now about that cruise...

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8970 on: May 30, 2017, 06:22:13 AM »
I fixed a chair. There were several loose screws and one was missing. I had exactly one screw in the right size and form so no need to buy more screws.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8971 on: May 30, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »
Last night I sorted out the latest stash of first-class airline toiletry kits from my husband. The moisturiser comes to work with me to stay in my desk drawer. The razors, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc, goes into the cupboard with the rest of the inventory. The zombies could come and I will still smell amazing.

...and I woke up the cat laughing at this. He is unamused, but I'm still giggling.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8972 on: May 30, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »
My occasional kombucha splurge started to get out of hand... $3 bottle every couple of months... fine.  $3 bottle more than once a week?  Bad.  So bad.

I decided that if I wanted it that badly, I needed to start making it myself, as once you get into it, it costs pennies/bottle.  I did have to spend $ on the supplies (gallon jars mostly, super cheap black tea, and a bottle of plain 'buch in so I can grow a scoby) but the cost of my kombucha habit will drop dramatically once I get things going. 

I got into water kefir much the same way... I needed a healthier, cheaper fizzy drink. :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8973 on: May 30, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
My occasional kombucha splurge started to get out of hand... $3 bottle every couple of months... fine.  $3 bottle more than once a week?  Bad.  So bad.

I decided that if I wanted it that badly, I needed to start making it myself, as once you get into it, it costs pennies/bottle.  I did have to spend $ on the supplies (gallon jars mostly, super cheap black tea, and a bottle of plain 'buch in so I can grow a scoby) but the cost of my kombucha habit will drop dramatically once I get things going. 

I got into water kefir much the same way... I needed a healthier, cheaper fizzy drink. :)
That's how I started culturing my own milk kefir. Even though I buy fancy milk, it still costs way less to make it myself. Plus many of the commercial brands add tons of sugar, so I avoid that as well.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8974 on: May 30, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »
10dollars!

I just did exactly the same thing for the exact same reason! Three days ago, my friend's daughter walked me through the process and I started my scoby growing on Sunday. The sugar is sitting at the bottom since it wouldn't really blend in well. Does that sound right to you? I'm worried it won't grow. I'm doing it in the store bought bottle ... wonder if I should switch to a mason jar? I was paying $3.66 a bottle. Too much! I tried some homemade at my friend's house that was black tea and one bag of ginger peach tea. It was just fabulous!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:27:36 AM by 1967mama »

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8975 on: May 30, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
10dollars!

I just did exactly the same thing for the exact same reason! Three days ago, my friend's daughter walked me through the process and I started my scoby growing on Sunday. The sugar is sitting at the bottom since it wouldn't really blend in well. Does that sound right to you? I'm worried it won't grow. I'm doing it in the store bought bottle ... wonder if I should switch to a mason jar? I was paying $3.66 a bottle. Too much! I tried some homemade at my friend's house that was black tea and one bag of ginger peach tea. It was just fabulous!!

Honestly, I don't know yet!  All the instructions I've read for starting a scoby using storebought 'buch say to boil the water first to dissolve the sugar.  I'm growing my scoby in a wide mouth quart jar, but purchased gallon jars for the actual brewing process.  I've also read that it will take weeks for the scoby to develop.  So... I guess wait another week and see if anything is happening?  I was picky buying my bottle, and found one that looked to already have a baby scoby forming.  Hopefully that will help.  If I end up not being able to grow one, I can usually find them online for around $10 from other brewers who have extras.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #8976 on: May 30, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
Understood. It reminded me of the German folk remedy for coughs, which translates as "onion sugar syrup".

It does not just translate like this it is just that. Chopped Onion and honey. Let it sit and stir often. Really good for coughs.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #8977 on: May 30, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »
I did not succumb to Memorial Day sales and buy fancy tea leaves for brewed iced tea.  I am growing mint in my garden to flavor my water instead.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8978 on: May 30, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
*had long-forgotten split pea soup from the deep freeze for lunch with buns from Saturday

*thawed a bag of mixed beans (done in crockpot and frozen months ago) and made a turkey chili for dinner. Will add last of Saturday's buns plus a salad to round out the meal.

*refroze small bag of split pea soup and will freeze a bag of turkey chili for two couples in our acquaintance who are expecting babies - I love to give a hamper of frozen food to new parents! I would have loved to receive that!

*made smoothies for a snack with ingredients on hand for the kids and I this afternoon. Especially happy to use up 2 black bananas (sshh! Don't tell the kids about the bananas!)

*used gas fireplace to take the edge off the cold today instead of firing up the radiant heat system

*listening to Dave Ramsey on computer while I'm working in kitchen

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8979 on: May 30, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
10dollars!

Honestly, I don't know yet!  All the instructions I've read for starting a scoby using storebought 'buch say to boil the water first to dissolve the sugar.  I'm growing my scoby in a wide mouth quart jar, but purchased gallon jars for the actual brewing process.  I've also read that it will take weeks for the scoby to develop.  So... I guess wait another week and see if anything is happening?  I was picky buying my bottle, and found one that looked to already have a baby scoby forming.  Hopefully that will help.  If I end up not being able to grow one, I can usually find them online for around $10 from other brewers who have extras.

If you want a SCOBY let me know.  I have tons with two 2-gallon continuous brew systems and a SCOBY hotel on top of the fridge.

It is worth it to get some decent loose tea.  My kombucha wasn't very good until I got through all my cheap bagged tea and bought some loose tea.  I find a 50/50 mix of green and black makes a nice brew.

1967, I'd send you one too if you weren't in Canada. ;)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8980 on: May 30, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »
10dollars!

If you want a SCOBY let me know.  I have tons with two 2-gallon continuous brew systems and a SCOBY hotel on top of the fridge.

It is worth it to get some decent loose tea.  My kombucha wasn't very good until I got through all my cheap bagged tea and bought some loose tea.  I find a 50/50 mix of green and black makes a nice brew.

1967, I'd send you one too if you weren't in Canada. ;)

Thank you for the offer!  If I can't grow one, I'll let you know!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8981 on: May 30, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
Spending my vacation with family and friends. Other than transportation, I haven't spent much​. It's been beautiful. Quality time with elderly family members and with my parents and siblings and one dear friend who can't travel because of her small children. My great aunt treated me to lunch and dinner out, but other than that, I haven't gotten more than a few small snacks or drinks out. No hotels, shopping limited to souvenirs for hosts and one pair of good shoes on clearance. Plus I got a claimed a hand-me-down sweater, leggings, and a dress from my sister.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8982 on: May 30, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »
Found my preferred brand of formula in the markdown section ($21 off each canister), so bought all four and should be set until close to when it's OK to switch her to whole milk.

Decluttered a shelf of the kids' books and sold an out-of-print reader on Amazon. The $12.05 profit transfers directly to an investment account.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8983 on: May 31, 2017, 01:28:21 AM »
horsepoor, that is so kind of you to say!  Your reference to your SCOBY hotel cracked me up!

10dollars, after reading your post this morning (and some internetting) on this SCOBY growing project, I decided to restart mine in a jar. I shook it until the sugar dissolved and added another 1/2 a bottle of fresh kombucha. I also switched to a jar. Now the waiting begins!

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8984 on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »
Still on house updates for future sale...

Found a new hand towel "loop" for the bathroom.  The original was less than attractive, and this one was 1.00 with all its hardware.  Got it to the goodwill register, and it was half off that day :D

Made a list of possible cosmetic work and repair work that will need to be done on the house to prep it for sale.  A couple we have questions on, so we are making an appointment with the realtor soon to find out what we should do in the next 6-8 months to be ready for showing.

Husband found cheaper source for the wood needed to rebuild or dilapidated back deck.  It may cut our expenses to close to half compared to the estimate from the big box store!

Also: packed lunches, breakfasts, and coffee so far this week.

Found lots of sales at the grocery store yesterday, so I stocked up on several items and still came in within a normal budget range for the week.

jordanread

« Reply #8985 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
horsepoor, that is so kind of you to say!  Your reference to your SCOBY hotel cracked me up!

10dollars, after reading your post this morning (and some internetting) on this SCOBY growing project, I decided to restart mine in a jar. I shook it until the sugar dissolved and added another 1/2 a bottle of fresh kombucha. I also switched to a jar. Now the waiting begins!

I am really interested to hear how this goes for you. Our SCOBYs reproduce like mad!!

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8986 on: May 31, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
* Had spinach, bacon, and red peppers about to go bad, so made a batch of egg muffins with them.  Yay for no food waste!

* Really wanted to go wander around Goodwill at lunch, but I don't need anything right now, so stayed at work instead (I just love the thrill of the hunt!)

* Put hold requests on some new books at the library.  I can wait a few weeks to read them for free instead of buying them on Amazon.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #8987 on: May 31, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
Local grocery store has a monopoly game- winning tickets must be redeemed by tomorrow. I had a bunch unopened game pieces so I spent this morning opening and sorting. I did not wn a million dollars but I won 8 different food items- walked to grocery store and walked back.

We won a $25 Fandango gift card which we will use to take kids to the movies.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8988 on: May 31, 2017, 04:21:14 PM »
Found a "5% off one shopping trip" coupon for our local grocery store that expires today.  Used it at the grocery store to save $2.50 on some things I was going to buy anyway. I rarely use coupons because they almost never are for things I want to buy.  But from now on I'm going to hunt for these "X% off everything" coupons, because it's free money. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8989 on: May 31, 2017, 10:32:40 PM »
I faced down a lot of temptations today... and got lucky a few times.

Work happy hour with the boss out of town, figured we'd all be getting our own drinks. I just had one soft drink and it turned out the new guy has a company credit card! Expensed.

Went to a concert at a nice venue, which would normally be $30, but I bought one of the limited annual passes in January (they were a screaming deal) so I didn't have to pay anything. Had a glass of tap water instead of buying a drink at the bar.

Met up with family at a somewhat fancy restaurant (very fancy by MMM standards - $25-$30 entrees) after the concert - I'd planned to arrive after dinner and would just join for a drink or coffee, but I was earlier than I expected and the restaurant was slow, so the food arrived 60 seconds after I did. The portions were really big and they all insisted on sharing their dinners with me (and still didn't manage to finish their meals). Steak, pasta bolognese, roasted mushrooms, salad, etc. I ordered a glass of wine so the waitress wouldn't hate me, but my mom paid for it ("it's almost your birthday!").

Didn't take any taxis or rideshares, just used my already-paid-for subway pass. (I did ~28 flights of stairs in the subway today. On fucked-up foot joints. I *really* wanted to take a cab. I am currently icing both feet.)

So basically I did a fancy dinner, drinks, concert, etc. without having to ever pull out my wallet! Not sustainable or repeatable, of course, since you can't always assume other people will buy you drinks and give you food, but I'll take it as a win for tonight. ;-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8990 on: May 31, 2017, 10:47:37 PM »
Yesterday I went to the yearly meeting about our privately owned road. I walk downhill to the meeting for 40 minutes and askes someone if I could get a a ride back uphill, as everybody lives on the same road anyway.
Ate a piece if leftover selfmade pizza before going there.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8991 on: May 31, 2017, 11:44:01 PM »
Completed a quick survey to earn 200 frequent flyer points.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8992 on: May 31, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »
* Harvested apricots, zucchini and onions from the garden.

* Used saved liquids as the "water" in our overnight oatmeal: pear juice strained from making pear sauce, apple juice strained from making applesauce, hot "rinse water" poured into cottage cheese and jelly jar jars and shaken around to get use of the last bits.

* Reusable mug $0.10 discount.

* Picked up some NIB Nordic Naturals Baby DHA shared through our Buy Nothing group. Savings $13.50.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8993 on: June 03, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
DH has construction minded friends coming over to help him frame out the deck.  At 7:00 PM last night, I realized I had nothing to feed that many people for lunch.  I swung through the store for buns, tomato paste and fruit, and I took out 4 pounds of ground beef from the freezer.  This morning I cooked up the beef and its all simmering now in the crockpot for sloppy joes.  I'll serve grapes, chips, and brownies on the side.  Plus sweet tea and water.  DH offered to simply order pizza, but a) my grocery run was less costly than two large pizzas, and the sloppy joe will no doubt have leftovers afterwards, and b) we have around 9ish months to eat up the freezer contents and sell it off before moving.  Ground beef galore in there!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8994 on: June 03, 2017, 09:03:20 AM »
I'm doing batched baking this morning to minimize the amount of time the oven is on - less gas used for the oven and hopefully no need to run the AC to cool the kitchen back down. As a bonus, hamburger buns are sitting near the oven while the cookies bake to speed their second rise.

Bike ride with our toddler in the trailer this morning. Free family entertainment and good exercise to boot since our neighborhood is hilly.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8995 on: June 03, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
Yesterday, my brother was coming through town and wanted to grab lunch. Since his GF hasn't seen much of the town but HAS stayed at my house, we opted to go out. First time in a long time for us, which is money savings #1. We went to a ciderhouse first, where it turns out they were under construction, BUT they gave us free tasters of everything that had on tap. We bought a bottle of cider for later as a thanks. Then we went to a restaurant nearby. Coincided with happy hour, so husband and I ordered only off the happy hour menu, only had one drink apiece, and just had some appetizers. So saved money over ordering a full meal.

Later we went to a potluck, and the hummus and pita chips we brought didn't end up getting opened (pizza is a much bigger draw it turns out, haha). So we brought those back home with us and will take them camping next week.

Biggest savings, but also totally done for 'life enjoyment' reasons instead of frugal reasons- we're going camping for our anniversary trip. I'm lucky enough to live in a place with some of the most incredible natural beauty on earth. Husband is taking a week of vacation from work and we'll disappear into nature for a while. This is a huge contrast to my BIL, who's SO demands a different excursion for every anniversary, always at a nice hotel, etc. Their last trip to city+show+restaurants+bars+shopping had to have cost a minimum of $1k for the weekend. Our trip will be the cost of gas to the mountains (which admittedly in the truck isn't the cheapest thing ever, but we're talking like $20-50 haha).

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #8996 on: June 03, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »
Cancelled my weekly lawn service and dusted off the old mower. Lazy me is sad. Frugal me is happy.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8997 on: June 03, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »
Borrowed a new baby carrier from the lending library instead of buying a different one.

Made suck pads for it instead of buying (and considering selling them on Etsy...)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8998 on: June 03, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »
Cold-washed my sheets, which are now drying on the line.

Made dinner for friends last night, pulled pork and salad, cheap and easy.

I thought about trimming husband's hair today but he was filming for work last week and this week, and a hair cut will mess up the continuity.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8999 on: June 04, 2017, 12:11:12 AM »
Relatives in town, had them come over for dinner and board games instead of going out. Bought a growler fill, using a gift card. Minimal cost layout.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!