Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3132549 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9850 on: September 28, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »
-Needed a specific item. Remembered I have a gift card. Used all but $4 on the GC, and found out that Cabela's just gives you cash when you get a GC down below $5. So not only did I not spend $20, used a GC we've had over 2 years, I also "liberated" some as real US currency.

-Canceled an appointment I can't keep enough ahead of time I won't face a late fee.

-Been focusing on babying the gas mileage. Went from ~39mpg average on the tank to 41.1mpg.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

bigdoug03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9851 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »
I realized this summer that the new boiler we had installed comes with a feature called "outdoor reset", which changes the target temperature of the water in the radiators based on the outdoor temperature. It is more efficient because on days that aren't bitterly cold it can maintain a lower water temperature and still keep the house warm.

Our installer had never enabled this feature, which blows my mind. I bought a $10 sensor and wired it up in about 5 minutes. I expect it to cut at least $100 off our gas bill this winter.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9852 on: September 29, 2017, 06:51:20 AM »
We'll need to see if this turns out in a saving thing. I am today going to buy wine yeast. Unfortunately my DH thought about it too late, so I need to drive extra kms to a shop where I shopped earlier this week. My DH is going to buy grapes on sale at a cheap grocery store. He is going to combine that with the few grapes he managed to grow in our own garden and make it into wine. Wine usually needs to be on the yeasting bottle for a year or so, so this is a thing for next year. We can probably save some bottle of shop wine, which is very expensive in Norway.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9853 on: September 29, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
I was craving something sweet yesterday, so I made a small batch of chocolate chip cookies (2 cookies to be exact).  I didn't have chocolate chips, so I chopped up part of a dark chocolate bar I had in the house.
I had a simple lunch and dinner yesterday with items we already had in the house. 
I've packed my lunch today. 
Bathed one of the dogs at home.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9854 on: September 29, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »
A bunch of money-saving cooking: sourdough bread (my first time making it without any extra yeast and I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out!), enchilada sauce, and homemade ice cream.

Managed to go all week without a trip to the grocery store for "just one thing" - went today and only got what was on my list.

My husband and I have been strategically trading off cars depending on who needs to drive more on a given day. Since I don't have a need to drive at all many days and my car gets double the mileage of his, this should save us a lot in gas.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9855 on: September 29, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
-Got back from an international work trip today,and am super jet lagged, so not sure I have anything compelling. But, I did take a couple of delicious tea bags home with me from the hotel room. Both are decaf, & British tea is fabulous.
- Didn't spend any money on treats for the kids. (I usually just get a package of local candy, nothing crazy, as I travel a lot). My coworker bought three bags of Maltesers (malt balls) for the kiddos, as a thank you to me for covering a late meeting
-All food & drink for the last 5 days was covered by work, and I didn't use any gas (not at home to drive to & from work)
-Earned plenty of air miles & hotel points. I'll transfer both tom preferred domestic carrier

However, I may cave & take everyone to dinner tonight. It's an inexpensive place, and we have a gift card. I'm definitely most susceptible to eating out after a long trip.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9856 on: September 29, 2017, 05:03:22 PM »
I haven't actively spent money in eight and a half days. Just a few auto-pay bills. Definitely a record for me, and I may go a few more days with it. I'll definitely break the streak on Monday (doctor's appt co-pay, taxi).

I don't really recommend replicating my methods, which involve being physically unable to get to a store and being looked after by family. ;-)  But I'll take the silver lining.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #9857 on: September 29, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »
I went car shopping with a friend and saved her a few hundred bucks!
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #9858 on: September 30, 2017, 06:54:40 AM »
Used a coupon for a free pizza and resisted buying anything else out of guilt.  Walked to pick it up to avoid the delivery fee.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #9859 on: September 30, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
I didn't go to the farmer's market - I'm nearly out of onions and garlic, but I'm sure I'd have come home with more than just those two things.
THIS

The farmers market in our town has a reputation for being pricey and I, too, decided to stay away this week.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and was eyeing fresh pasta: four-cheese tortellini, sun-dried-tomato and ricotta agnolotti, butternut squash ravioli...  at a nice $7.99 per pack.  Holy profit margin!  I skipped that deal and cooked about $0.50 of dried pasta with homemade pesto instead... hmm, the family hasn't had homemade ravioli in a while....

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #9860 on: September 30, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »

Wow, good for you!  How did your friend help you save?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #9861 on: September 30, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
I was out running this morning and found a pair of work gloves on the side of the road.  I will run them through the washing machine and use them when trimming my horses' hooves.  This is quite funny to me because I just threw away the previous pair that I found in the road and have been using for the past year. I almost passed up this glove because it appeared to be solo, but I stopped and looked around and saw its partner about 10' away.

Later today I'm getting a my truck loaded up with free manure for the veggie garden.

Carefully inventorying food in the house before grocery shopping.

Drying several pounds of free Italian plums, which will be nice mixed into oatmeal all winter.

Making stock with a chicken carcass, lamb bone and celery ribs that were too tough to eat raw

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9862 on: September 30, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
Saved $28 on a bottle of champagne for my in-laws for Christmas.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9863 on: September 30, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »
I was out running this morning and found a pair of work gloves on the side of the road.  I will run them through the washing machine and use them when trimming my horses' hooves.  This is quite funny to me because I just threw away the previous pair that I found in the road and have been using for the past year. I almost passed up this glove because it appeared to be solo, but I stopped and looked around and saw its partner about 10' away.

Later today I'm getting a my truck loaded up with free manure for the veggie garden.

Drying several pounds of free Italian plums, which will be nice mixed into oatmeal all winter.

Making stock with a chicken carcass, lamb bone and celery ribs that were too tough to eat raw
Do you have any ferrier training? Or did you just learn as you go? I was always terrified to trim my horses' hooves, but one of them had gait issues so I always just left it to the ferrier. It's been years since I've had a horse, though.

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #9864 on: September 30, 2017, 05:32:23 PM »

Do you have a dehydrator for the plums? Otherwise, how are you doing it?

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #9865 on: September 30, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
This is so tiny, but small things! DH and I always go for a long walk with the pup to the best bakery in our hood on the weekends. We get a pastry and a coffee. Today I chose the cheaper pastry and the cheaper coffee, about $2 in savings and just as satisfying. Also cooked at home for lunch and planning to for dinner, and harvested some more veg from the garden (the last of the tomatoes, some carrots and the beans) - though discovered someone stole my cabbage!

Bigger impact long-term might be the fervour with which I'm getting into the MMM forums. ;)

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9866 on: September 30, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Trimmed my own hair - $12
Trimmed my dog's nails - $9

We look fab.

Also made some extra money from a bank bonus today, $300, although I don't know if that counts for this thread.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #9867 on: September 30, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »

Do you have a dehydrator for the plums? Otherwise, how are you doing it?

Yes, I have a little dehydrator.  It is getting quite a workout lately.

I also used a tip learned here:  dehydrate tomato skins and buzz them up for tomato powder to add flavor to dishes.

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #9868 on: October 01, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
Yesterday we finally stopped by the little local farmer's market that we've been meaning to visit, and one of the vendors had a section for seconds!  Great prices, I picked up enough pears and tomatoes to make 3 quarts each of brandied pears for holiday gifts, and a mild salsa for us.  Next week I want to go back for more pears and tomatoes, and possibly some hot peppers to make a spicy salsa as well, and maybe even some blemished apples for applesauce!  Need to get more canning jars before then, though, so not a total money-saver :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9869 on: October 01, 2017, 07:04:03 AM »
-Line dryed clothes
-Used two free coupons for cheese (from providing feedback about a bad product), saving $18
-Made all meals at home, & tried two ingredient cookies. Yum! Added vanilla & chocolate chips. Really wanted to go out last night (got home late from soccer), but informed everyone it would be a slightly later meal, & got going!
-Made an extra meal for the freezer
-Signed up for a free one month carpool service for work. SO excited! Traffic is terrible here, so cost savings aside, getting rid of the need to drive to & from work will be a huge stress relief
-Made homemade rolls to go with dinner
-Brought water bottles with us to all of our activities, saving money on buying

Imma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9870 on: October 01, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
- Line dried three loads of laundry
- Went grocery shopping and bought only produce and meat that was reduced in price. We don't eat a lot of meat so I froze most of it.
- Partner likes to buy expensive italian bread with eggsalad at the local bakery. I knew he was going to want that on Sunday, so I made it myself on Saturday night when he was out.
- Cleared out a drawer and found two travel adapters that I thought we'd forgotten on our last trip. Now we don't have to buy a new one for our next trip.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #9871 on: October 01, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »
She bought me a delicious pizza lunch!  I owe her big for various favors she did for me this summer.  I was happy to help her on a car buying adventure.   

Wow, good for you!  How did your friend help you save?
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9872 on: October 01, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
Made 14 quarts of grape juice.... out of garbage.

Pressed 3 bushels of grapes for wine. I usually just take the skins and stems and spread them out in the garden. This year I added some water and warmed them on the stove. I let them drain overnight, added a little sugar and canned it into a 50/50 concentrate. The stems and skins still made their way to the garden.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #9873 on: October 01, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »
Yesterday we finally stopped by the little local farmer's market that we've been meaning to visit, and one of the vendors had a section for seconds!  Great prices, I picked up enough pears and tomatoes to make 3 quarts each of brandied pears for holiday gifts, and a mild salsa for us.  Next week I want to go back for more pears and tomatoes, and possibly some hot peppers to make a spicy salsa as well, and maybe even some blemished apples for applesauce!  Need to get more canning jars before then, though, so not a total money-saver :)

Do you can your applesauce? Iíve had great luck with freezing mine (reusing plastic containers from sour cream, yogurt, etc.). Assuming you have the freezer space, of course. The brandied pears sound delicious!

For saving money today, Iíll read my library book and cook at home, as usual. Last Sunday I made a batch of pasta sauce that made 12 servings. Delicious, and roughly only $5 I am sure.
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #9874 on: October 01, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »
Dug into my banking and automated fees. Realized I was paying $20/month for accounting software I no longer used, and about $10/month in overdraft fees since DH and I hadn't adjusted our automatic transfers into our joint account since our mortgage rate went up.

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #9875 on: October 01, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »

Do you can your applesauce? Iíve had great luck with freezing mine (reusing plastic containers from sour cream, yogurt, etc.). Assuming you have the freezer space, of course. The brandied pears sound delicious!

For saving money today, Iíll read my library book and cook at home, as usual. Last Sunday I made a batch of pasta sauce that made 12 servings. Delicious, and roughly only $5 I am sure.

I do can my applesauce.  I'm sure it would freeze great, but my freezer space is currently full of soup, chili, pizza crusts, and many other things.  My plastic containers have already been pressed into service for soup, homemade veggie broth, and homemade yoghurt :)

Today I hung a load of laundry to dry, baked a loaf of break, read my library book, and ate leftovers to clear out the fridge.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9876 on: October 01, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
Didn't spend anything today!

Cut up a slightly stale loaf of (homemade) bread and made croutons to serve with soup.

Used the carcass from tonight's roast chicken and the bag of veggie scraps I save in the freezer to make stock in the Instant Pot. Tomorrow morning I'll strain it and make a batch of chicken soup to freeze.

Did a bunch of small fix-it projects around the house. The drill got a workout this weekend!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #9877 on: October 01, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »
This is combining yesterday and today's money saving activities:
- friend gave us two squash from her garden
- went to potluck for Saturday night fun
- used thrift store birthday card for nephew's birthday
- found three beer cans to return for deposit
- made soup with dried chickpeas (usually I use canned beans)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9878 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:39 AM »
- found three beer cans to return for deposit

Yes, people leave too many beer cans and other rubbish out in the forest. Maybe I should also be better at picking stuff up. I pick up rubbish sometimes on my way out of a national park, but do not always want to carry it with me on a long trip. At least beer cans have a return value.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9879 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »
-Reviewed interest on accounts, and moved large chunk of savings to another bank. Increased my interest by over $100 last month!
-Used up a few lingering fridge items in our dinner recipe
-Planned ahead for the week, making most dinners in advance
-Arranged for a carpool for a birthday that was 30 minutes away
-Line dried all clothes

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9880 on: October 02, 2017, 10:18:44 AM »
Not sure it's exactly saving money, but it's making something out of nothing.

We have a huge plum tree in our backyard and finally harvested it (my dog was eating too many that fell on the ground!). Got probably 10 lbs worth?  Made:
- one plum crisp
- prepared the plums for another one and froze it, will probably make another around thanksgiving
- boiled down the rest into a compote for meat or ice cream

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #9881 on: October 02, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
Saved 28Ä by going to the hospital at 13:00...
... Apparently in small town hospitals in Morocco, if the cashier is having a post lunch nap, the staff usher you out with a shrug and raise of the eyebrows!

(That said, the service was great, the doctor thorough and spoke better French than most Frenchmen, the x ray cristal clear and no waiting to be had, so 28Ä was really no problem. I was actually a bit embarrassed to not pay.)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9882 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:48 PM »
Brought lunch to work.  As per usual.

The office assistant (and person who earns the least) keeps trying to institute a Monday group going out to lunch thing.  I keep bringing my lunch.  So does my assistant.  So does the general manager.  And the box office manager.  So only the part timers go out...
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #9883 on: October 03, 2017, 05:10:22 AM »
Free hospital stay- Australia

I'm having practically free nose surgery (deviated septum) as my health insurance doesn't cover it (as I'm on the cheapy plan to just save on tax), so had to wait almost a year for it but now I've had it, same surgeon, public hospital in a shared room for one night  but I didn't have to share as they haven't brought anyone else in, you do have to pay for tv but I choose not to as browsing forums is more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9884 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:24 AM »

I'm having practically free nose surgery (deviated septum) as my health insurance doesn't cover it (as I'm on the cheapy plan to just save on tax), so had to wait almost a year for it but now I've had it, same surgeon, public hospital in a shared room for one night  but I didn't have to share as they haven't brought anyone else in, you do have to pay for tv but I choose not to as browsing forums is more fun.

I wish you to get well soon. Smart move skipping the TV.

Free or practically free healthcare is great. But the waiting times are very long. Same here in Norway. That is why many companies still buy an extra insurance to treat you faster at private places. I'm not sure what we will do when we are FIREd. Having such an incurance privately is expensive (although nothing compared to US insurances). The alternative, risking to wait for year for treatment when you have something serious is a long time. For small things, it is not critical and it is worth the savings.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9885 on: October 03, 2017, 06:30:40 AM »
Made a pot of chicken soup using leftover meat and homemade broth. Split into two freezer bags to keep on hand for the next time one of us gets a cold.

Combining several errands into one trip to save on gas.

Forum journal

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #9886 on: October 03, 2017, 01:56:52 PM »

I wish you to get well soon. Smart move skipping the TV.

Free or practically free healthcare is great. But the waiting times are very long. Same here in Norway. That is why many companies still buy an extra insurance to treat you faster at private places. I'm not sure what we will do when we are FIREd. Having such an incurance privately is expensive (although nothing compared to US insurances). The alternative, risking to wait for year for treatment when you have something serious is a long time. For small things, it is not critical and it is worth the savings.
Yes, I think about this too, I had priced it out and I could have had it done privately for about $4,000 straight away but as it wasn't serious and I had lived with it  this long I figured I would wait.
To have insurance that would actually cover me for hospital procedures for my husband and I would cost an additional $1000 on what we pay now per year, not that much but given that we haven't needed the extra cover for 10 years, that's a savings of $10k plus interest etc. I might need to reconsider as we get older.

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #9887 on: October 03, 2017, 04:05:41 PM »
Took the left over Mexican casserole and made myself burritos to freeze for lunch down the road.

Used my personal CC to pay for an E-Room visit bill to get the 2% cash back, then wrote myself a check from my HSA.

Used the invisipon app at the grocery store where I bought two boxes of cereal, two cans of black beans, a loaf of bread and two tubes of refrigerated biscuits. Total bill: $3.71, which I put on my new promo checking/debit card (need ten >$3 transactions this month).

Tomorrow: New snow tires for the plow truck. Cross shopped for the cheapest price, found they were on sale, and a $50 Visa gift card if you sign up and use their CC.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:10:29 PM by Cadman »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9888 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »
-Arranged for a free carpool to & from work (vs driving), through a trial my employer is running. Definitely took longer, but may be able to work it out. Or, better yet, I should be biking. But, no gas/car usage for today.
-Ate free breakfast & lunch at work
-Picked up a new free hoodie on the giveaway table at work. I've been looking for a good "around the house" hoodie, and this is perfect.
-Having leftovers for dinner

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9889 on: October 03, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
I can't take the subway for a little while post-op, and round trip taxi to work is in the $50-$70 range. Lyft/Uber maybe $40. I managed to keep costs down today by taking a ride share one way ($8) and a taxi ($15) to a bus stop (free with my monthly pass) in the other direction. The bus drops me at my front door so I can use that without hurting myself. (In theory I could do the ride share both ways, but it's really difficult to get a car to come pick you up on demand at my office at rush hour - my boss does it and there are frequently long waits and delays and the drivers hate it. But it's no problem being picked up at home in the mornings.)

I also inadvertently had surgery right before my monthly transit pass expired, so I didn't waste any time on my pass. Probably saved $30-$40 by not renewing it for those 10+ days when I couldn't use it.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Mariposa

• Bristles
« Reply #9890 on: October 03, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
Used 50,000 Merrill points and ~30,000 Chase points to book 3 plane tickets (with all of us sitting together!) to see my family over Thanksgiving. We both work and are traveling with a toddler, so we need to travel on specific dates at specific times. These tickets would have been around $1500 on the open market.

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9891 on: October 04, 2017, 03:15:31 AM »
Loquats are in season here so foraged some from a tree on a vacant block near our library.  Stewed them to have with our morning porridge. Currently have Red Onion Jam (onions brought cheap) cooking on the stove.  Yesterday SO made Beetroot Relish.  Our house smells divine.

Exploring yearly membership to our recreation centre.  We currently go to water aerobics twice a week, new membership will give us seven day access to water classes and gym for the same price. It's a no brainer but I'm reluctant to pay 12 months in advance instead of monthly. 
FIRE'd in 2017, aged 51. Not bored yet!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9892 on: October 04, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »
Rode my bike to the pool hall yesterday. Joined the club there which is $50 for a year ($30/year after first), for unlimited free pool. That's dirt cheap considering the next nearest pool hall is $10 an hour to play and I'd like to play at least 10 hours a week.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9893 on: October 04, 2017, 06:36:30 AM »
I normally go home or lunch on days I don't telecommute (I live 2 miles from the office), but yesterday was out in the field all day. Packed my lunch and ate it at a really nice rest stop while I got to people-watch. Almost doubled my daily salary due to mileage reimbursement.

Today, starting the day telecommuting, which means hanging some laundry to dry. Then back out into the field, which means more mileage.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9894 on: October 04, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »
Feeling so inspired & happy that I found this thread!
-Ate free breakfast (and will eat free lunch/snacks) at work
-Ran/walk the 7 miles to my office! First time ever. :-) Feeling a little sore, but pretty badass. Will take free carpool home.
-Making dinner out of leftovers in the fridge. (I only cook Friday, Saturday & Sunday, and we eat leftovers on the other days). Today 1/2 of us will eat potato soup & homemade rolls, & the others will eat chicken burritos.
-Line dried the entire load of laundry. (Typically I cave & use the dryer for our cloth napkins, towels, socks & undergarments).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9895 on: October 04, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
Noticed the daycare has a sign for a discount for biotech employees.
Asked if that was only for new registrations, and apparently it isn't.
Had my husband send an email that will save us $1,300 a year :)

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9896 on: October 04, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Brought lunch from home ($8 saved)
drinking tea instead of soda at work ($2 at the vending machine)
shifted my friends away from a pricey bar for after work fun to a local place that's doing $4 pizzas. (probably around $20 saved between drinks and an uber home)
I've got a work provided lunch tomorrow so half my pizza will cover dinner tomorrow.

Here's a big one: we decided not to buy the house that we fell in love with over the weekend. It was slightly higher than we had planned on spending and our apartment is not giving us any wiggle room on terminating our lease early. I'm sad to miss it because it was so lovely, but this is the right move for us. ($315,000 saved)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #9897 on: October 04, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
I rescued a veggie platter that was languishing in the fridge at work and used the still good broccoli and carrots in a chicken stir fry tonight. Also used the (reasonably healthy yogurt-based) dip in falafel sandwiches for lunch. Yum!
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9898 on: October 05, 2017, 03:17:05 AM »
I just ordered to get paid out 22 hours of official overtime. Usually I would have chosen time off. Now I see it as an extra source of income. I have enough flexible (not possible to be paid out) overtime hours left to cover my other needs to take days off.

Erma

• Bristles
« Reply #9899 on: October 05, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
This will save money in the future. I got a coupon for a calendar at the grocery store and unlike last year I decided to look for it seconds after receiving the coupon. The calendar has coupons in it for every month like 10% off of everything. Last year I could never find this calendar even though I had the coupon.