Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020979 times)

C. K.

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #950 on: June 07, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
Today, I dyed jeans dark again instead of buying. Plenty of wear left in those pants.

El Limon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #951 on: June 07, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
I've been wanting to get the Netflix on the upstairs TV but it's an older flatscreen that doesn't have a USB port. I've been looking at new TVs with a bluray for about 250 total. I didnt want to shell out that kind of money, so I've been waiting and waiting for a cheaper option. Well, I found out that the older Roku units use the colored AV cables. I got one for 35$ refurbished on amazon. I used 10$ discover bonus to discount and paid 25$ out of pocket. Just set it up and it works great. 1/10th the price for what's essentially a luxury item. Small victory.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #952 on: June 07, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
Visited the in-laws and picked almost 5 gallons of plums off their plum tree.  I left them with almost a gallon as a "fee".   :)

Then we traded a huge watermelon and 3 colored peppers (bought for $7 total) for a couple pounds of their erroneously purchased italian sausage. 

(Today I also spent over $300 on a tank of gas ($26), household stuff, toiletries, and groceries from walmart ($131), clothes and shoes for the family from walmart ($85) , and a trunk full of groceries from Aldi ($70), but nobody has to know about my spendthrift nature!)

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #953 on: June 08, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »
will make a jug of iced tea to take out, fill the jug with ice, water, and a lipton cold brew bag.

saves me the $2 I was spending at the fast food place near the park.

Mutton Chop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #954 on: June 08, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
Bought Folger's coffee for $7.98 for 28 oz, compared to high end coffee $10.99 for 16 oz.

Cost per oz:
Folger's $.285
Snob java: $.686

Is that a 60% savings? Wow!

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #955 on: June 08, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
Canceled my Sunday New York Times subscription, thus saving $38 month. The waste of trees and fact that I use it for gift wrap more than read it (plenty of free online articles) is a total face-punch and worthy of putting me in a pillory in the town square. But that was then, this is now. Onward!

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #956 on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
Put together a curry in the crockpot (which I bought a week ago for $10 off craigslist) and put it in the fridge to get started tomorrow morning just before I go to work.

Share the recipe? All my curries are hands-on, and I need more crockpot recipes.

Here it is! http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-thai-red-curry-chicken.html
Well, approximately - regular mushrooms instead of shiitakes, and green beans instead of bamboo shoots. It involves some browning beforehand which I did at night, then put it in the slow cooker and into the fridge to get started today. I'm cooking it on low instead of high as it says in the directions, because I'll be gone longer than the 3-4 hours it wants on high.

I've never owned a crockpot before, so I can't vouch for it, but hoping things turn out. There are a lot of good looking recipes on that website.

Thanks! Do post the result, will you?

Generally, by the way, I skip the browning stage for meats in the crock pot. It's meant to seal in the juices, and it may help with beef, keeping it moist. This shouldn't be any sort of problem with chicken, so you might consider trying it and saving some time next time if this recipe turns out. The frying of the curry paste is probably necessary, though, so it may be that it doesn't save enough trouble to matter.

Delayed update -- this was delicious - the curry was a bit watery, I think because I increased the fresh veggies in it and they release water as they cook, but that's not a big deal.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:11:42 PM by peppermint »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #957 on: June 08, 2014, 10:55:45 PM »
Made a metric ass-ton of hummus and froze most of it for later.  Also made the tahini for it - so easy, never buying premade tahini again.

Improved the hops trellis on the south side of the house so that it will shade the windows more, and finally put the last mini-blind in, for additional shade.  The basement has the only south-facing windows in the house, and I bought blinds for them shortly after we moved in four years ago, and this was the last one waiting to be finally installed.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #958 on: June 08, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
Made a metric ass-ton of hummus and froze most of it for later. 

Thanks for this tip! I didn't know you could freeze hummus. Does the texture change when you thaw it or can your really not tell that its been frozen? If so, I too will be making that much hummus! haha!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #959 on: June 08, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
A fellow Mustachian recommended a layer of olive oil on top before freezing, so I did that this time.  However, I froze some for a few weeks from my last batch without the oil and it just needed a stir due to some very minor separation of the oil, and it was impossible to tell it had ever been frozen.

Little House

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Little House in the Valley
« Reply #960 on: June 09, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »
Yesterday I didn't take a shower to conserve water (we're in an extreme drought!). Today, I made my own coffee (which I do most days.)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #961 on: June 09, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
Drank iced tea that I brewed at home (using gifted tea bags)
Ate a free breakfast at work
Left home at earlier to avoid traffic (cuts my commute time by about 10 minutes)
Packed a can of soup for lunch (cleaning out our cabinets)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #962 on: June 09, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
Shared my quinoa and green beans with my friend who stopped by to invite me out to lunch (I brought enough for two lunches ;) ) I got company and compliments in return :)

surfhb

« Reply #963 on: June 09, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Stood at the home plate gate with 2 fingers held up and was given 2 free tix to an Angel Game.    I haven't paid for baseball seats in awhile. 

You have an easy out if they want money.   It's illegal to sell seats on the grounds at any price :)

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #964 on: June 09, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
This weekend I baked three loaves of bread, two sourdough and one whole wheat.  It was my first time baking sourdough and they turned out better than expected!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #965 on: June 09, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
I'm glad to hear all the picking-up coins stories.  My spouse ladles a generous measure of scorn on me for this and last weekend I picked up 3 separate pennies in his presence.  But then later that evening when a co-worker was giving me a ride home I spotted a twenty dollar bill flowing swiftly downhill in the gutter!  Being attuned to looking for money on the ground I was able to react quickly and grab it.

Today I was loading up my metro card and noticed a card lying on the ground.  You see discarded cards a lot (discarded! ha!) and the MTA instituted a $1 new card fee ostensibly to cut down on the amount of trash this created in the stations.  While it's easy to avoid, I do see a number of people in my neighborhood or tourists downtown having to cough up a buck and it seems unfair.  So, both for my own needs and out of a charitable instinct, I'll keep a couple extra blanks on me.  I used the machine to check the one I had just found (sometimes they're expired or un-fillable for some other reason) and discovered it had $2.45 on it!  Only a nickel short of a full fare, which I assume is why someone left it?

So, anyway, those are instances of acquiring money, not saving it, but, uh...  seemed like they would fit in.

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #966 on: June 10, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »
I've been making these granola bars: http://www.mykitchenescapades.com/2013/06/no-bake-chewy-granola-bars_23.html

They are very good, but have more sugar than I'm used to, or like. I'm going to try different versions with less sugar on future rounds.

Thank you bunches!  I've copied the recipe and plan to try these soon!  We certainly buy the ones at the store a lot (mainly from Aldi now), but making them at home means we can control what goes in AND save money too! 

But without the added preservatives, what do you do to keep the bars fresh for a week or so?

I put them in ziploc bags, and then we eat them in about a week.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #967 on: June 11, 2014, 05:23:33 AM »
I'm glad to hear all the picking-up coins stories.  My spouse ladles a generous measure of scorn on me for this and last weekend I picked up 3 separate pennies in his presence.  But then later that evening when a co-worker was giving me a ride home I spotted a twenty dollar bill flowing swiftly downhill in the gutter!  Being attuned to looking for money on the ground I was able to react quickly and grab it.

Today I was loading up my metro card and noticed a card lying on the ground.  You see discarded cards a lot (discarded! ha!) and the MTA instituted a $1 new card fee ostensibly to cut down on the amount of trash this created in the stations.  While it's easy to avoid, I do see a number of people in my neighborhood or tourists downtown having to cough up a buck and it seems unfair.  So, both for my own needs and out of a charitable instinct, I'll keep a couple extra blanks on me.  I used the machine to check the one I had just found (sometimes they're expired or un-fillable for some other reason) and discovered it had $2.45 on it!  Only a nickel short of a full fare, which I assume is why someone left it?

So, anyway, those are instances of acquiring money, not saving it, but, uh...  seemed like they would fit in.

Nice finds!

I have been commuting on foot for the past 6 - 7 weeks, and the amount of money I have picked up has been ridiculous!  Two days ago, as I approached a roundabout, I saw a smallish piece of paper being whipped around by the wind and passing cars.  I went out of my way to get closer to it--and spotted the number 5.  Yep--a $5 bill. Sweet!  And I get immense pleasure from finding quarters in the streets.  I love this free money.  And it is tax free!  Goes in my spreadsheet in the "Other Income" column.  :)

Makes me feel sorry (almost) for all the clowns who drive past all the money on the ground.  Get out of your cars, people!!  It's nice out here!!

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #968 on: June 11, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
went looking for a connector to a boat radio power cord. Elec supply house said they didn't have any, then one of their customers pointed to a free sample connector that'll perfect.

Gotta love free.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #969 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »
Closed all the storm windows to keep the heat at bay.  Summer is here and it's doubtful I will open a window before September, so might as well summerize the place. 

fitzgeralday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #970 on: June 12, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
Well, this is technically something I did last night but I finally stopped procrastinating and created craigslist postings for two pieces of furniture (twin bed frame and queen air mattress) and a brand new iphone otterbox case - none of which I currently need.  I've already started to get some emails of interest, and plan to continue to do some craigslist purging if this option proves to be profitable.  I also met about a potential side hustle, the profits of which would solely go towards eliminating debt.  Happy saving everyone!

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #971 on: June 12, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
Axed my Amazon Prime Membership - Saving $99/year

Researching buying own cable/voice modem to avoid leasing from cable company - Would save $120/year after break-even

Having my brother-in-law hopefully fix the igniter on my oven this week - will save $150-beer-parts, so probably about half

Digging up perennials to divide and sell at my garage sale -- ???

Shopped at ALDI.  Not sure how much I saved, but it's substantial.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #972 on: June 12, 2014, 05:48:58 PM »
I convinced DH to try MMM's method of cutting cereal costs by adding rolled oats, mentioned in http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/23/grocery-shopping-with-your-middle-finger/. I'm not sure he's totally on board yet, but at least he's giving it a shot. Cereal is the highest line-item on our grocery list. No kidding. We spend more on cereal than on meat. And I don't even eat any of it.

So, fingers crossed!

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #973 on: June 12, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »
SO and I are trying to drink less soda (a bad bad habit I'm trying to get away from). We drink water, but I prefer something w/ taste. So we are drinking some of those powdered things you just mix w/ water.

I have a 2 Quart pitcher. According to the directions on this sweet drink, 4 scoops = 1 quart. Therefore, 8 scoops = 2 quarts. Unintentionally, I only put 4 scoops. I didn't realize this mistake until after my SO and I finished the entire pitcher and I was making a second one. I was super happy when I realized this mistake because it made me realize how I was cutting my sugar intake and increasing the amount of drinks we will be able to get from a single container. The drink actually tastes way better when there mores water and less powdered substance. A lot of drinks that are super sugary make my teeth/gums cringe as I'm drinking it.

Can't wait for my SO to try and make it himself and wonder why his drink suddenly tastes too sweet when he makes it. =p

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #974 on: June 18, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
Took the bus to work, brought my lunch, made homemade iced coffee.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #975 on: June 18, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
Along the lines of "not drinking soda" - we walked to the grocery store and they had sodas on sale for $0.59 for a 2 liter if you buy 4.  Not wanting to carry 8 liters of soda back home, we skipped it (and stuck to ice cream and bananas - two totally unrelated purchases). 

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #976 on: June 18, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
I have started using an app called Ibotta. It gives cash rebates on food purchases-- plus a few other things. I mostly like it because at my grocery store, it offers rebates on things like milk, chicken, beef, eggs and produce. Stuff you don't normally see coupons for. I've gotten $60 in 3 weeks-- goes right into my PayPal. I never considered myself a coupon person, but it's working so far.

If you use a referral link, there's a $2 bonus to sign-up.  Mine is: http://ibotta.com/r/arybir

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #977 on: June 18, 2014, 05:18:45 PM »
Made sweet & salty kettle corn instead of buying it at the markets as I usually would. Further practice required, but half of it was *very* good, and still much cheaper.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #978 on: June 18, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Noticed, via Mint that I had been overcharged for an item I bought online that was backordered.  Called up the company and they'd accidentally charged me $8.95 shipping, when it should have been free, so they said they'd reverse the charge.

Not really money saving, but when I was out running today, I saw about a 12' piece of oak crown moulding on the side of the road.  It was in good shape, and I was less than a mile from home, so I picked it up and carried it back with me.

Doomspark

« Reply #979 on: June 19, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
Turned off "hot dry" on the dishwasher.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #980 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »
Usually I buy coffee and a donut every morning before work to the tune of $2.25--a really bad habit. Not breaking it quite yet but last night at the end of my run I ended up at the finish line of a race and since I blended in with the actual runners I took the apple and granola bar on offer to finishers. Saved it to eat this a.m. and used the keurig at work.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #981 on: June 19, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
Fixed two pairs of jeans with holes in them (iron on patches $2 spent).  This is my first attempt at repairing clothing, so we'll see how the jeans hold up.

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #982 on: June 19, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
Thanks to MMM forum, I now have milk, sugar and tea at office and very tiny coffee expenses last 6 months. Loved that I have the options at hand when I want rather than spend money.
Have access to multiple fridges at office so I keep the milk there and use it for tea/cereals as I feel the need. Loved the convenience at finger tips.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #983 on: June 19, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
I've saved so much keeping a plunger and coffee at the office (I'm partial to Gloria Jeans hazlenut praline scented coffee). I still go on the mid-morning coffee run for company, but am getting used to not buying a coffee. In fact, my office is moderately frugal (public servants) so of the 5 regulars in our expedition, four have eased off buying anything! When the last one stops buying coffee, we'll have to find a new way to catch up!

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #984 on: June 19, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »
SO and I are trying to drink less soda (a bad bad habit I'm trying to get away from). We drink water, but I prefer something w/ taste. So we are drinking some of those powdered things you just mix w/ water.

I have a 2 Quart pitcher. According to the directions on this sweet drink, 4 scoops = 1 quart. Therefore, 8 scoops = 2 quarts. Unintentionally, I only put 4 scoops. I didn't realize this mistake until after my SO and I finished the entire pitcher and I was making a second one. I was super happy when I realized this mistake because it made me realize how I was cutting my sugar intake and increasing the amount of drinks we will be able to get from a single container. The drink actually tastes way better when there mores water and less powdered substance. A lot of drinks that are super sugary make my teeth/gums cringe as I'm drinking it.

Can't wait for my SO to try and make it himself and wonder why his drink suddenly tastes too sweet when he makes it. =p

Have you considered adding fruit to your water?  Add some frozen berries to a pitcher full of water and keep it in the fridge, or add some to your water bottle if you take one to work with you.  Another tasty alternative is cucumber slices.  It may sound odd, but it's rather lovely, costs pennies per serving and is much better for you than anything Corporate-Food wishes to sell you.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #985 on: June 19, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
I've saved so much keeping a plunger and coffee at the office (I'm partial to Gloria Jeans hazlenut praline scented coffee). I still go on the mid-morning coffee run for company, but am getting used to not buying a coffee. In fact, my office is moderately frugal (public servants) so of the 5 regulars in our expedition, four have eased off buying anything! When the last one stops buying coffee, we'll have to find a new way to catch up!

. . .

You, uh, you call a french press a plunger in Australia, I take it.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #988 on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
This is a coffee plunger.

http://www.coffeecompany.com.au/coffee-101/plunger-coffee-brewing-tips/

Phew.

Laughing immoderately. That is quite correct. And after I posted it I only thought of the Dalek connotation - completely forgot the other. Too much BBC.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:23:26 PM by tanhanivar »

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #989 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »
I had lunch at a fancy buffet after my end-of-the-semester faculty meeting! I wouldn't have eaten that much fancy food if I had to pay for it, so I guess I didn't really save money. But it was nice to treat myself to a nice gorge-fest. Four plates and a cup of punch down the hatch.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #990 on: June 20, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
I've saved so much keeping a plunger and coffee at the office (I'm partial to Gloria Jeans hazlenut praline scented coffee).

I've never thought of that but it makes perfect sense.  When you have to deal with tons of shit at the office, why not bring a plunger to help it go down. 

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #991 on: June 21, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
Made sweet & salty kettle corn instead of buying it at the markets as I usually would. Further practice required, but half of it was *very* good, and still much cheaper.
Recipe, please.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:15:02 AM by C. K. »

payitoff

« Reply #992 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:19 AM »
Stayed home yesterday for a $0 Saturday

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #993 on: June 22, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
Recipe, please.

I think it was this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-and-salty-kettle-corn-rachael-ray-271419, but do actually shake the pan up-and-down sometimes, as well as just shuffling it around on the hot plate! And do take it off when the pops slow, instead of waiting for all to pop, or you will end up with burnt-sugar-lumps instead of popcorn.

theconcierge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #994 on: June 23, 2014, 05:46:13 AM »
Managed to collect 7 golf balls on my ride home from work.

I ride past the golf driving range each day, and I collect any balls that go off course and over the fence. Probably have collected about 150 this year

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #995 on: June 23, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
Sold an extremely old gift card today (will receive about $30).  Less clutter in my drawer, more money in my pocket.

Made tea in the office.  Brought snacks and lunch stuff from home. 

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #996 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
Biking back home from the gym at 530am I remembered we ran out of eggs for breakfast. I started to fixate on an egg mcmuffin, rationalizing by telling myself no stores would be open at 530. After I passed the 2nd open bodega, I bought a dozen eggs and a chobani for $5 at the 3rd open one. I literally had to shake my head to help get rid of the mcmuffin fixation.
I overpaid for the eggs by 50 cents but at least it was cheaper than the mcmuffin meal and I'll get a couple of bkfsts out of it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #997 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Made a pumpkin chocolate chip quick bread in the bread machine. Found a neat trick online for this. Put machine on dough cycle for 3 minutes. Unplug. Using spatula, scrape down sides, plug back in and let it mix another minute. Unplug.  Plug back in and put on bake cycle (mine is 1 hour). Check for doneness with a toothpick.  Mine needed another 1/2 an hour all together, but I feel that it was well worth my time experimenting to get to the point where I can do this regularly to feed my family. Will be trying banana bread next.  Just google sweet bread or quick bread in a bread machine. Tasted excellent and was just like a quick bread made in the oven, but didn't need to use the power of the oven or heat up the house, or dirty up a bowl or get out the mixer.  Also, much less fussy than muffin tins.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #998 on: June 23, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
E-mailed in the official cancellation of my work life insurance policy, should get about $40 back from the cash value.  We have private insurance already, no need to pay for continuation of the work policy!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #999 on: June 23, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Hung out laundry for a double win since it's hot as blazes and 89% humidity out there -- less cooling/dehumidifying the house.

Neglected to pack my lunch, so I ate oatmeal with raisins and peanut butter from my desk stash.

Breakfast for dinner at home (I'm on a roll here, it seems) with turkey bacon (cheaper and healthier), grits, free eggs a neighbor with hens gave us, and cathead biscuits with molasses. Bonus: there's enough left for breakfast.