Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2127295 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9400 on: July 14, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »
Dog is on prescription food (temporarily) for a health crisis that emerged. This stuff is spendy (like $3.50 per can normally, and 1 can per day). So to cut costs:
-First went to petsmart. I signed up for their 'pet perks' rewards or something like that. Ended up with, round 1, a coupon for 20% off. Then round 2, a coupon for $10 off. That ran me out of eligible coupons, so then...
-I signed up for chewy.com. To set up a first time auto-renew delivery, it was 20% off plus the 5% off for the auto-ship you always get. I bought 2 cases instead of 1 to max out the savings and get free delivery. I can cancel the autoship anytime.
-THEN, I opened the mail to find that the manufacturer had sent me a $10 off coupon, since banfield (the vet inside petsmart) had to set up a prescription profile for me to order the food, and I guess that triggered the company thinking it was a new prescription through them. Woo.

Anyway, hopefully all of this will get us through the couple months the dog needs to be on this food, and we'll have never paid full price! =)

Other ways we've saved money:
-Learned that propane tank exchanges are super cost inefficient, and usually not totally filled. So since our tanks were both empty, we went to a gas station that does propane fills. For $21, we got BOTH tanks filled, and they're WAY heavier than the exchange tanks (from certain stores, AHEM, but roughly the same as Home Depot does! So way to go Home Depot), so the partial fill is obviously true for some places. When we do the exchange, it's $20 per tank. So we saved at a minimum 50%, but likely way more because there is a larger fill. WOW. We will definitely keep doing it this way!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9401 on: July 14, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
We were going to order pizza last night, but accidentally filled up on CheezIts and cookies. Not the healthiest decision, but it meant we didn't order the pizza.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #9402 on: July 14, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
We were going to order pizza last night, but accidentally filled up on CheezIts and cookies. Not the healthiest decision, but it meant we didn't order the pizza.

I eat really unhealthily when at work and people bring in treats.  If someone brings donuts, I eat enough donuts to sustain me until dinner.  If someone brings bagels, it's the same deal.  If I happened to bring a lunch, I save it for the next day.  If there are extra treats leftover at the end of the day, I grab some to save for the next day where the process repeats.  I just cannot help that I am a free food devourer (and have a sweet tooth at that).

For some reason this week has been free donut week and I've been eating really, really, really bad (but free)!!!!

Monday: Someone brought a huge batch of donuts; I ate 5 or so throughout the day and saved 6 in my drawer.
Tuesday: There were still tons of leftover donuts, so I had another 5 of 'em.
Wednesday: I ate 4 of the ones in my drawer.
Thursday: I brought a lunch today, but someone else brought donuts (I ate 6 throughout the day).  Saved my lunch for Friday.
Friday: I ate the last 2 donuts from Monday for breakfast.  I also had one of the leftovers from yesterday; however, I'll be eating my lunch from yesterday as it's the weekend.

Damn, I just admitted to eating 23 donuts in one week.  WTH is wrong with me?  I obviously have a problem with eating too many donuts when they're available.  I know once I FIRE, eating any will just be a treat since I rarely buy them myself.

Btw, when there aren't treats, I usually have a loaf of bread, tub of Peanut Butter and packets of honey in my drawer and eat that instead - also supplemented with fruit and mixed nuts.
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9403 on: July 14, 2017, 10:10:44 AM »
-Had a crappy blood draw, so husband wants to spoil me and go to Wonder Woman. (We haven't seen a movie in theatres since Ender's Game, haha). Opting to go to the matinee, to save some money on it.

-Trying to price out a trip. Might 1 shot a 20 hour drive to avoid the $650+ airfare, or the hotel costs/shortened vacation of a 2 day drive each way.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #9404 on: July 14, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
-Had a crappy blood draw, so husband wants to spoil me and go to Wonder Woman. (We haven't seen a movie in theatres since Ender's Game, haha). Opting to go to the matinee, to save some money on it.

-Trying to price out a trip. Might 1 shot a 20 hour drive to avoid the $650+ airfare, or the hotel costs/shortened vacation of a 2 day drive each way.

I missed the 'a' in 'a trip'. I just thought it was super long drive to a theater. :)
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Fishindude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9405 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
Neighbors called this morning and gave me a free hog. Dressed and skinned it and have it hanging in walk in cooler to process in a few days.  Will make a bunch of good sausage, plus loins and ribs.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9406 on: July 14, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »

I missed the 'a' in 'a trip'. I just thought it was super long drive to a theater. :)

Ha, no, definitely different items on that list! We actually ended up walking to the movie =) Would have biked, but a lot of bikes get stolen there =(

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9407 on: July 14, 2017, 05:58:34 PM »
Damn, I just admitted to eating 23 donuts in one week.
Wow!

Neighbors called this morning and gave me a free hog. Dressed and skinned it and have it hanging in walk in cooler to process in a few days.
Double wow!

It is most excellent when the right bonus hits the right person. I don't think I would have been in a position to take advantage of either of those bonanzas.

Sixof1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9408 on: July 14, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
Took a little mustachian break while moving but trying to get back on track!
A few things from the past few days:

- forgot to get Greek yogurt for a snack at work, instead on running out and buying it I suffered through with stale rice cakes and Pb2

- wanted to treat myself to take out so badly tonight but stayed strong and actually ended up making an awesome pesto with ingredients from our garden!

- coworkers invited me to HH tonight, I thought I was going to have to pick up my race packet for a 5k I'm walking tomorrow but turns out I can get it tomorrow, still said no to HH though since it was at a very pricey place.

- pulled a load of laundry out of the dryer (we need a new one desperately but that's a steperate issue) and it was still damp, instead of running it again I pulled everything it out and hung it where I could throughout the house.

- cleaned out my closet and have SO MUCH to get rid of! So I will take it to a local resale shop tomorrow

- tomorrow I will walk to an appointment even tho I will have already gone that way while walking the dog, I'm low on gas and want to hold out for Sunday when I have to make a 1.5 hr drive
Half dozen of the other

Slowly inching towards being more mustachian, one dollar at a time.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9409 on: July 14, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Drank two beers at work (going away party) so as to get start on my Friday. Free beer tastes the best.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9410 on: July 15, 2017, 05:05:37 AM »
Free exercise helping Marty lug a dining suite down three flights of stairs. :D

Cut my husband's hair.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #9411 on: July 15, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Scored a really good, only slightly used daybed for our new flat.
And brought it there in our Skoda Fabia.
- Money saved by buying used: ~150
- Money saved by not owning a bigger car: A shit-ton.
- Being able to passively annoy people who are convinced that such a small car is completely useless once you have children: priceless.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:49:49 AM by WerKater »

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9412 on: July 15, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »
Saw my neighbor in his backyard and offered him some of my home grown tomatoes.  After accepting, he went a picked me about a dozen peaches.  Delicious.  The farmer's market sells not-quite-as-good peaches for $3.50 a pound ($4. for organic).

I've been eating free tomatoes once a day since late June.  Fresh tomato sauce over pasta, bread salad, just chopped with basil and cheese.  Lots of free lunches.  I've also dried a ton of cherry tomatoes - enough to fill a quart baggie with dried tomatoes.  (I hate to say it, but I'm starting to get tired of tomatoes.)

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #9413 on: July 15, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
- Being able to passively annoy people who are convinced that such a small car is completely useless once you have children: priceless.
Is that the combi version or just the regular one? The combi is not that small and can actually haul a decent amount in the boot (for european standards) :) It was on our shortlist too but my wife thought it drove like a city bus and made her nausious (she was pregnant of our second at the time). We ended up with a Hyundai I30 (we had the I10 before that), decent model and even though its 200kgs heavier its got the same mileage because its a newer generation engine :)
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #9414 on: July 16, 2017, 01:10:56 AM »
Is that the combi version or just the regular one? The combi is not that small and can actually haul a decent amount in the boot (for european standards) :) It was on our shortlist too but my wife thought it drove like a city bus and made her nausious (she was pregnant of our second at the time). We ended up with a Hyundai I30 (we had the I10 before that), decent model and even though its 200kgs heavier its got the same mileage because its a newer generation engine :)
The regular one. I sometimes marvel at what I could lug around with the Combi (Station Wagon) version. But so far, the regular one was enough.
However, I suppose that a small concession too having a child now will be that our next car will probably be slightly larger and certainly a Combi. My parents-in-law have an I30 and that's a nice car, too. I must admit that I have a bit of a weakness for the Skoda Octavia. But first we will see how long the Fabia will do.

BAM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9415 on: July 16, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »
This is over the last three days:
Stocked up on various chicken on sale at 77 cents a pound - 4 fryers (2 meals roast chicken, 2 meals soup), 8 flats chicken legs (4 dinners plus lunches for DH and two oldest sons for work), 4 flats thighs (4 dinners). SO glad to have this after losing all our fridge/freezer stuff last month when the power was turned off during a fire evacuation in our neighborhood.
Signed up to babysit during my son's music class. Should pay enough for his class to be free.
Started hanging laundry again (put on hold while we moved after selling our house 2 weeks ago)
Found bikes for 3 of the 4 in our family that still needed them on Craigslist. Much nicer bikes than we would have gotten otherwise for good prices. We will be going to almost total biking for the entire family in a week once we have all bikes and everyone has practiced on the new bikes (driving only to leave town and 1x a month grocery stockup).
Found a new bike trail for second oldest son to take to work. He drove this week after being run off the road twice by a huge truck.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9416 on: July 16, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »
Didn't buy a new house after going to three open houses in our neighborhood today. >_<

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #9417 on: July 16, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »
Took the dog for a walk tonight and picked up a nickel that was lying in the street.

Actually remembered coupons when grocery shopping today and saved $3.50.

Jaayse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9418 on: July 17, 2017, 12:04:57 AM »
Today I changed the spark plugs in my car, it cost me just shy of $30 for the plugs and all the tools.  It was my first time and the car started right up afterwards!  I think it saved me around $100, and next time it should only cost me around $10 for the plugs since I have the tools for life!

I was really stoked to be able to do it with just a few you tube videos, and since I did the work at my parking spot in the condo I think I inspired another woman since she stopped to say she was happy to see a woman out working on her car.
My Journal:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-journey-of-a-lifetime/
www.airbnb.com/c/justinec3400  -> Sign up for AirBnB here for 40$ on your account
Ibotta referral code:  ulyodxt

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #9419 on: July 17, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
Got a bunch of kitchen stuff from my grandmother's house, instead of buying anything: mixing bowls, nice knives, and a stand mixer. The bowls might have a hideous 1970s olive floral pattern, and the stand mixer might not be the KitchenAid of my dreams, but they're big upgrades from what I'm working with now: a plastic Tupperware bowl and elbow grease.

The knives, on the other hand, are legit nice and I'm worried they're going to get messed up.

Hermione76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9420 on: July 17, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
I have a large batch of black beans cooking in the slow cooker.

I planned dinner so that I will use up some remnant ingredients in the fridge, as well as zucchini from the garden (which we have coming out of our ears!).

I hung our laundry outside in the sunshine instead of running the dryer.

I ate leftovers for lunch. (Yes, it's only 11:20 am, and I already ate lunch! :) I was hungry.)

I rescheduled a coffee visit with a friend to a time when I will already be on that side of the city, rather than making the trek across town (via Metro) just for that one thing.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9421 on: July 18, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
I did an ultimate food prep on Sunday.  Made 3 jars of over night oats, chopped veggies and put into containers for snacks, made a triple batch of hummus from a pound of dried chickpeas in my instant pot, marinated and grilled chicken breasts and assembled 3 salads for work lunches, Made eggplant rolatini for Sun night dinner, put a turkey meatloaf together to cook in the instant pot for Mon with left over potatoes and frozen veg, marinated chicken thighs in homemade yogurt and lots of spices and chopped tons veggies for Tues grilling night. Made a batch of cold brew coffee to enjoy all week and hopefully keep DH from splurging on $1.00 coffees!  Did DIY mani/pedi on myself last night.  Made lists as I was cooking of ingredients that are getting low, so that I can watch sales.  Also decided on dinners for the rest of the week made grocery list.  Will shop and prep on Wed, my day off.  I'm down 23 lbs since last year, I would like to continue another 10 or so pounds.  Meal prepping is the secret to my success!!!  I was kinda slacking the 2 weeks before we left for vacation. Weight was stagnant even up a couple of
pounds.   Gained a couple pounds while on vacation but weight came right off within a few days of being home.  And I'm pumped to be all in again!  We have not eaten out since we have returned from vacation!  We have fallen into patterns in the past after returning where it takes me a good month or two before I get back into my healthy eating habits and often would go to restaurants more than normal to extend the feeling of vacation.  Not this time. 

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9422 on: July 18, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
Discovered that the mfg gives you $3 coupons, once a month, for Mr. R's expensive eye drops. Signed up - printed out $3 coupon - Score:)
Then found one more $3 online, sweet.

Sent in for a rebate on Mr. R's lenses for his new glasses - $25 saved.

Checked out three books about money at the library - free and may potentially save me more money too:).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9423 on: July 18, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »
Cooked a double batch of pumpkin soup and a double batch of enchiladas last night.

Pegged washing out in the cold at 6am, knowing it will dry when the day warms up.

Scored tea and coffee jars from a departing colleague. She didn't want to take them to her knew job so offered them up. I don't actually drink tea or coffee but I keep it around for guests, plus the jars will come in handy.

Inviting friends over on Saturday night instead of going out.

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #9424 on: July 18, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
CutTheFat, I totally agree about the meal prepping/planning. It's a huge component of weight loss success (and is also beneficial for the finances). A lot of work, but very worthwhile.

Tonight, my husband and I biked a short distance and picked Saskatoon berries in the river valley. Building up the frozen fruit stores! Yay for free food.
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9425 on: July 19, 2017, 04:08:22 AM »
Needed to refill a prescription for an Epi-Pen.   Was quoted $650 out of pocket at the pharmacy.  Was told there was a $300 coupon available by the manufacturer if I would "sign up" with them, i.e. give them personal information.   Walked out empty handed and did some research.   Turns out there now is one competitor which recently came to market.  I found a local pharmacy carrying this new generic, and even found a coupon on line for it.  Total out of pocket = $51.   

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9426 on: July 19, 2017, 04:51:53 AM »
Needed a hoodie.  Found a great one on sale, and saved an additional $5 by buying a boy's rather than a woman's.  Basically the exact same hoodie, but I guess the women's version gets the "pink tax" applied . . .

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #9427 on: July 19, 2017, 05:57:34 AM »
Needed a hoodie.  Found a great one on sale, and saved an additional $5 by buying a boy's rather than a woman's.  Basically the exact same hoodie, but I guess the women's version gets the "pink tax" applied . . .

And no doubt the boys one has better quality fabric and actual pockets.

slappy

• Bristles
« Reply #9428 on: July 19, 2017, 06:33:19 AM »

When you say boys', do you mean men's or do you mean from the kids section. If it truly was a boys from the kids section, I imagine they price the kids clothing lines at less than adults. Good tip to check  out the kids section though. I imagine a kids XL is pretty close to a women's small.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9429 on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »

When you say boys', do you mean men's or do you mean from the kids section. If it truly was a boys from the kids section, I imagine they price the kids clothing lines at less than adults. Good tip to check  out the kids section though. I imagine a kids XL is pretty close to a women's small.

Kid's section -- I got a boy's XL rather than a women's S.   Fits great.

Edited to add:  You are probably right it is not a "pink tax" per se, but rather kids-line vs. adult-line.   I have seen the pink tax before though, where the exact same men's item costs less than the woman's. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:00:13 AM by Trifele »

RamonaQ

• Bristles
« Reply #9430 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

Kid's section -- I got a boy's XL rather than a women's S.   Fits great.

Edited to add:  You are probably right it is not a "pink tax" per se, but rather kids-line vs. adult-line.   I have seen the pink tax before though, where the exact same men's item costs less than the woman's.

I've done that with athletic shoes - bought boys' soccer cleats for way less than the same women's style.
I made a new journal: Ramona's World

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #9431 on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »
Walked to the store that is farther away because I had two gift cards. 

I ended up buying two watermelons and a couple other items.

Sad ending: Only one of them worked so I still had to pay a little under $4.
Happy ending:  I got quite the arm and shoulder workout walking all that way with two watermelons!
Frustrating Plot point:  When doing self checkout, I clicked "I brought my own bags" then they asked me at the end, "How many bags do you want to purchase"  I said I brought my own bags!  Computers these days!
Just here to feel guilty about my purchases which are often irrational, wants, and in an atypical budget.

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9432 on: July 19, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »
About 5 years ago we brought a metal teapot with a lifetime guaranteed. We drink a lot of tea so decided a good teapot that would keep our tea hot for longer would be a good investment.  A year or so ago it developed faults, including leaking and it no longer kept the tea warm.  Yesterday, after many phone calls and a trip to the supplier (included in other errands in the next city), we now have a new replacement teapot at no cost.  Loving hot cuppas again!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9433 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:18 AM »
Played pool yesterday at league but paid nothing because I didn't have a match and didn't buy food.

Finally decided I was being ridiculous keeping all my decorative pillows/body pillow so I hauled 8 pillows to my car this morning. Should save money/time in moving costs! Will continue to declutter...

TartanTallulah

• Stubble
« Reply #9434 on: July 21, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »
I had breakfast cereal I'd brought from home for lunch instead of going to the bakery and buying a sandwich or some fresh pastries.

And, since what's his is mine, my DH switched our domestic fuel provider, which should save us the equivalent of about 75 lunchtime sandwiches from the bakery.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #9435 on: July 21, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
We mostly grocery shop at Safeway.  In addition to the card that almost every store has that gets you extra savings, they have a reward program called just4u that allows you to take extra off, get sale items cheaper, free stuff, ect.
Takes only a few minutes to sign on the website and pick and choose what you want/need.

One offer was a $25 dollar gift card for a new or transferred prescription at the pharmacy.  I had just gone to my doctor and had a prescription called in anyway (it's my usual pharmacy) so I got a $25 grocery store gift card that I got to use right away.

Did all my shopping plus got a free frozen pizza and 10 yogurts for .69 each, a loaf of break for .89, several other misc stuff that was "on sale" due to the card and still had $1.10 left over on the gift card.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #9436 on: July 21, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Grudgingly eating the salad I brought for lunch today instead of the Chipotle burrito that I really want. I pack a lunch every day and prefer it 99% of the time...but 1% of the time the Chipotle cravings are a real goddamn problem.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9437 on: July 21, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
Went to Target and saved a couple bucks with Cartwheel and using my Red Card.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9438 on: July 22, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
I brought my lunch and a tea bag to the library instead of buying lunch there.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9439 on: July 22, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
-Been biking a ton lately. Biked out to a date last night, biked to a discount clothes store today. Found work shoes for $12 (woo!). Used the rest of a gift card for the purchase, too. Since this card had gotten shuffled into a drawer and nearly forgotten, that was a $11 win.

-For our date, went to something classically spendy for us (sushi). But we went as a sort of 'early dinner' so neither of us were starving, and then we split a wakame salad and a sushi combo. $18 total, all time low. This is the first sushi date we've been on in at least 6 months, so it was quite a treat.

-DIYd our second bike rack. ~$10 in materials, and it works well. We had bought a $20 one a while back that promptly fell over, so we returned that. So not only cheaper than what's available, but it works better too.

-Holding off on replacing our porch lights, and will investigate refinishing them instead, and seeing if we can salvage the rusty parts.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #9440 on: July 23, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
I haven't left the house in 8 days, I can't take all the credit for that, I had a minor foot surgery and I'm housebound for two weeks. I texted DH a list and he stopped by Aldis for some basics. Living off the freezer he only spent $12.00 at the store. 

I ordered dog food on Target, my two dogs go through one bag of Purina a month. Used my red card, free shipping and I opened an ebates account with a friends referral so a $10.26 check coming back for not leaving the house and ordering dog food on line.  Not a bad day.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9441 on: July 23, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
Got a last minute invitation to visit my niece and her host family this evening. She's been relatively close by for a summer internship but our schedules haven't meshed until her penultimate day. I threw together a lovely salad from ingredients on hand, and I will bring her hosts a cute little bag of jams from our old house's fruit trees. No frantic dash to the store, no panic...nice.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9442 on: July 23, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
From the past few days...

My boss took me out for lunch on Friday (her shout) which gave me enough leftovers to feed both me and my husband on Friday night.

Invited Marty and a couple of other friends over for dinner on Saturday. I cooked, so it was all very budget-friendly, and I'll get a couple of lunches out of the leftovers. And the bottle of wine I used in one of the recipes was a work gift.

Reorganised my pantry on Sunday morning. Rather than fork out for new fancy canisters, I moved more of my ingredients into (recycled) jars and labelled everything to match. My husband is now suspicious that I'm planning meals around what jars I want to empty next so I have more storage containers. "Hmmm, how does passata pickles with a side of salsa sound?"

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #9443 on: July 23, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
Minor but discovered ice cream buried in my Grandma's freezer, and ate that instead of going to the Tastee Freeze.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9444 on: July 24, 2017, 04:05:44 AM »
Noticed a beautiful old apple tree -- neglected but loaded with nice fruit -- in a vacant lot next to the grocery store.  I asked the store manager if the store owned it, and he said yes.   He told me no one ever did anything with the tree, and I could help myself to as many apples as I wanted.  Score!  Also -- ironic that the store is shipping in apples from Washington and wherever, while right outside there are bushels and bushels of them just falling to the ground. 

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #9445 on: July 24, 2017, 05:37:22 AM »
Minor but discovered ice cream buried in my Grandma's freezer, and ate that instead of going to the Tastee Freeze.
I bought some new icelolly thingies since the old ones broke. 2,- but near free icelollies for the kids, and we also control the amount of sugar in it too!
Also, straight up watermelon in the icelollies is super tasty and 100% fruit (blend it first though :P)!
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9446 on: July 24, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
Joined my local Buy Nothing group. 

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9447 on: July 25, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
Invited Marty and a couple of other friends over for dinner on Saturday. I cooked, so it was all very budget-friendly, and I'll get a couple of lunches out of the leftovers. And the bottle of wine I used in one of the recipes was a work gift.

Dinner was lovely, thank you :)

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9448 on: July 25, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
I did this awhile back and it's been great! Just last night, I got a dresser for my little girls room. I've also been giving anything that I no longer need.

Joined my local Buy Nothing group.

slappy

• Bristles
« Reply #9449 on: July 26, 2017, 06:18:43 AM »
I bought some new icelolly thingies since the old ones broke. 2,- but near free icelollies for the kids, and we also control the amount of sugar in it too!
Also, straight up watermelon in the icelollies is super tasty and 100% fruit (blend it first though :P)!

I love the word icelolly. That is all. :)