Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2114097 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9250 on: June 11, 2017, 08:32:37 AM »
-Usual stuff: cut husband's hair, groomed dog ourselves, did NOT have to use a dry cleaner since I get dress shirts for husband that can be laundered at home.

-Tried a cheap beer ("simpler times" lager from trader joe's) that, while nothing to write home about, will be great for bbqs and such.

-DH used google survey credit, and I used app store credit leftover from a GC at christmas, to buy an app we can cross platform. (catan). We've been having fun playing it together, so free entertainment- nothing else we use those credits for!

-Been continual harvesting sooooo much lettuce. So we've been eating a ton of salads with lettuce, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olive (bought in bulk at costco!), and topped with canned tuna and a red wine vinegar + thyme + garlic + olive oil dressing with mustard as the emulsifier. Delicious, and pretty cheap relative to all the nutrition in there!

-Gas is a bit cheaper than it's been, so I'll try to get over and fill our truck today at costco.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #9251 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »
-Been continual harvesting sooooo much lettuce. So we've been eating a ton of salads with lettuce, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olive (bought in bulk at costco!), and topped with canned tuna and a red wine vinegar + thyme + garlic + olive oil dressing with mustard as the emulsifier. Delicious, and pretty cheap relative to all the nutrition in there!

This sounds delicious BJ!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9252 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »

This sounds delicious BJ!!

Thanks! It is! I highly recommend the dressing, for just about any salad but especially for fish!
-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
-6 Tbsp olive oil
-1 clove fresh minced or crushed garlic
-~1 tsp dijon or spicy deli mustard
-1/2 tsp dried thyme

That recipe makes enough for two bigass salads. (We split a can of tuna between them). You can also do it with white wine vinegar for a more mild and sweet taste- that goes great with chicken on the salad =)
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9253 on: June 11, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »

Thanks! It is! I highly recommend the dressing, for just about any salad but especially for fish!
-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
-6 Tbsp olive oil
-1/2 tsp dried thyme

That recipe makes enough for two bigass salads. (We split a can of tuna between them). You can also do it with white wine vinegar for a more mild and sweet taste- that goes great with chicken on the salad =)

Thank you!! I have been meaning to find a good salad dressing recipe like this. And kudos, since I too love putting tuna over my salads!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9254 on: June 11, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »

-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
-6 Tbsp olive oil
-1/2 tsp dried thyme

Thank you!! I have been meaning to find a good salad dressing recipe like this. And kudos, since I too love putting tuna over my salads!

Glad people can benefit! I used a salad nicoise dressing as my inspiration and just played with it until it worked, haha. I've definitely found red wine vin to be cheapest at Trader Joe's, olive oil cheapest at costco, garlic cheapest at costco, and thyme... well, I might move up to bulk buying it since I use so much now haha.

Oh! And I do a greek version too:
6 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, fresh crushed
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried dill

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9255 on: June 11, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
I was planning to go on a trip in the forest with a friend. My DH wanted to go running some other place than at home and planned to join us in the car. Planned that he could change to dry clothes after running, so he wouldn't get cold while we were still out there.

TartanTallulah

• Stubble
« Reply #9256 on: June 11, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »
I paid it forward today. Kinda.

My parents made a day trip to visit us. Normally they take us out for lunch and the routine is that they pay for the meal and I leave the tip on the table. Today, I cooked the main course and defrosted some desserts I had in the freezer and wanted the opportunity to use up because we don't often eat desserts. The entire meal for five of us didn't cost me much more than the tip at the restaurant would have done, and I saved my parents about $100.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9257 on: June 11, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »
Roasting 4 chickens I picked up for 60c/lb.  Will can most of the meat, saving out enough for my meals for the week.  Making broth with the carcasses and will can that up as well.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9258 on: June 11, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
Remembered to start the beans soaking!

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
« Reply #9259 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
Drove straight home so I wouldn't stop at a drive-thru.
blog :: stupid debt or journal

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9260 on: June 11, 2017, 11:00:23 PM »
* Line-dried a load of laundry, saving about $0.25 in energy costs.
* Sold a couple of children's books on Amazon, netting $8 which will be deposited directly into an investment account.
* Prepared and froze eight servings of beet puree for the baby, the rest will be turned into cold borscht for lunch. Savings: $8 compared to buying prepared baby food.
* Also: cloth diapers, my dad curb-shopped a pet crate we can use for raising chickens, watched a show on Amazon Prime instead of paying for something new.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:07:55 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9261 on: June 12, 2017, 02:18:20 AM »
Walked to work and will walk back.
Made lunch and ate a free banana at work.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9262 on: June 12, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »

Does your workplace have free fruit, Linda? What a great idea!

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9263 on: June 12, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »

Does your workplace have free fruit, Linda? What a great idea!

Quite common here in Scandinavia. :)

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9264 on: June 12, 2017, 01:30:16 PM »
Brought leftover dal makhani (frozen from dinner a few weeks ago) to work for lunch.  Wasn't a keeper recipe, and wasn't amazing the second time around either, but it filled me up and will get me through until dinner.

Added a $1.00 bag of M&M's to my grocery order at checkout to get my total over $50 so I could use a $10 off $50 grocery coupon (a pretty sweet savings...pun intended!)

Took the kids to the library for storytime on Saturday.  It's fun for them, we get to pick out new books for the week, and doesn't cost a penny!

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9265 on: June 12, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »
Not saving money, but earning - participated in a couple of research studies at the university - made $22 for 45 minutes of 'work.'

Took leftovers home from a meeting - enough for 2-3 meals!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9266 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »
Getting better at roasting veggies in the oven and searing chicken (or beef) on the stovetop.  Definitely keeps the family happy and the food costs down.
Frugalite in training.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9267 on: June 13, 2017, 12:56:17 AM »
tyort1 - I've been working on perfecting my roasted veggies as well and the way I prepare them is:

Rub a cookie sheet with a generous helping of coconut oil
Put on cut up veggies and work some coconut oil into them
Douse with balsamic vinegar
Generously sprinkle with pink sea salt and cracked pepper
Sprinkle on a handful of dried rosemary

How are you preparing your veggies?

Today I:

*Made a double batch of bread pudding with a loaf that would be tossed tomorrow. Made vanilla sauce for on top.

*Dried a load of clothes on the drying rack

*Used up potatoes and carrots in a mashed potato bake

*Returned a bunch of library books before their due date

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9268 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:43 AM »
Drove 45 minutes with no AC, windows up on the highway in 88 F weather.

Switched banks but accidentally used the wrong debit card so got an overdraft charge. Asked nicely for a refund and they gave it! Also, disabled the debit card from using the checking account which I did not even know was possible.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #9269 on: June 13, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »
Picked a free cabinet up off the curb a few days ago, added some paint and hardware to keep the drawers closed while traveling, and it is going in my horse trailer for more functional storage. 

I also shopped around a bit for new tires for said trailer and saved $240 over equivalent tires at Tire Place A.

Once bearings are packed and trailer is cleaned, it will be good to go and I'll hope to do away with my New Trailer Envy for a few more years.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9270 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
tyort1 - I've been working on perfecting my roasted veggies as well and the way I prepare them is:
Rub a cookie sheet with a generous helping of coconut oil
Put on cut up veggies and work some coconut oil into them
Douse with balsamic vinegar
Generously sprinkle with pink sea salt and cracked pepper
Sprinkle on a handful of dried rosemary
How are you preparing your veggies?

We're pretty close.  I wash/dry the veggies, dump them into a big bowl, douse them with olive oil, salt & pepper.  Agitate with my hands to mix everything thoroughly.  Put them on a cookie sheet (or 2) and pop them into the oven.  Between 350 and 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the veggie. 

For the chicken - the main thing I've learned it to just let the chicken sit there for a while at high heat and not turn it constantly.  This is what gets you those yummy dark brown bits.  Oh, the other think I do is cut the chicken into equally sized pieces so it cooke more evenly (and faster).
Frugalite in training.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9271 on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
* Pitted and froze two hotel pans of cherries from our weekend cherry picking outing.
* Collected zukes, rhubarb and chicken eggs.
* Made chicken stock in the electric pressure cooker using saved veggie trimmings and leftover chicken, saving $2.50.
* Saved $150 by independently ordering part (igniter) to fix broken oven and comparing repair-guy costs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:36:54 PM by jengod »

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9272 on: June 13, 2017, 08:38:32 PM »
Walked to work this morning.
Brought some leftovers home from a work event.
Made pizza at home instead of ordering it.
Decided to wait til tomorrow to buy milk at the grocery store instead of grabbing it tonight at the convenience store for twice the price.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9273 on: June 13, 2017, 09:24:16 PM »
*Made a loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough

*Made a double batch of oatmeal chocolate chip monster cookies (1/4 c of dough per cookie)

Better Late

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9274 on: June 13, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »
changed my netflix subscription to save $5.34 a month.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #9275 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »
changed my netflix subscription to save $5.34 a month.

I should do that too. Thanks for the reminder.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9276 on: June 14, 2017, 04:06:19 AM »
*Made a loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough

*Made a double batch of oatmeal chocolate chip monster cookies (1/4 c of dough per cookie)

These sound yummy!

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9277 on: June 14, 2017, 04:16:04 AM »
Fri- Dd was having a slumber party in celebration of her 14th birthday.  She originally asked if we could order pizza then said she'd rather I make pizza. I realized with work and taking my mom to the doctor I wouldn't have time to make the dough.  I asked if we can do tacos instead.  Not as chromed homemade pizza but still cheaper than takeout and there were leftovers.  They went to a free baseball game.  We work through lunch on Fri., so I brought a banana to eat at my desk. 

Sat- we had  double header for all right around dinner time.  We ate leftovers before we left the house.

Sun- I cooked homemade gnocchi with leftover lamb and it came out amazing! Brought some to my parents who don't often get meals like that.  I food prepped lunches for the week.

Mon- For DD's B-day we used a Groupon for sushi. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9278 on: June 14, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
-My mom is in town and wants to meet up for lunch. I suggested the buy one get one free offer for nurse appreciation week at chipotle today. Although this is really saving her money, not me, since she always insists on paying. *shrug*. But I also know she likes chipotle but almost never goes, so hopefully it'll be a nice treat for her. And definitely for me- I like chipotle and haven't had it in over a year!

-Usual stuff: keep harvesting lettuce from the garden for salads, keep just using straw mulch and water as the only garden inputs.

-DH met his aunt for lunch yesterday when she was headed through town. He gave her a ride to where she was leaving from and she forgot her leftovers in the car. Free pad thai dinner for me last night =P

-Husband has been riding his bike a ton. I need to catch up ;) Gas savings! Plus health.

AnswerIs42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9279 on: June 14, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
My car breakdown cover is becoming due. Every year, I do the following:

- Check their main competitor's website to see what deal they're offering for similar cover for new customers
- Look at a cashback website, to see what money I'd be able to get as cashback on this deal
- Phone up my provider, and tell them all about it, and ask them if they can give me a better renewal price.

This always works, every year. I just did it again, and managed to get my renewal premium reduced from 103 to 65! It helps that I've been with them a long time, and not actually called them out for years. Not a bad return, just for making one phone call.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9280 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »
Managed to make breakfast and tea (instead of buying it at cafe) to take with me to work even though I slept through my alarm!

Brought home leftovers from work event (second time this week!)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9281 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:59 AM »
Repaired a cheap cloth shopping bag with the sewing machine, so that the carrying handles work again.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #9282 on: June 15, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
Understood. It reminded me of the German folk remedy for coughs, which translates as "onion sugar syrup".

It does not just translate like this it is just that. Chopped Onion and honey. Let it sit and stir often. Really good for coughs.

My DW feeds me this when I have a cough.  It really works!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9283 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »
Understood. It reminded me of the German folk remedy for coughs, which translates as "onion sugar syrup".

It does not just translate like this it is just that. Chopped Onion and honey. Let it sit and stir often. Really good for coughs.

My DW feeds me this when I have a cough.  It really works!

But how does it taste?  Do you chew the onions?  Or just "drink" the honey?

rdaneel0

• Stubble
« Reply #9284 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:36 PM »
I didn't save, but I did minimize a loss. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work every day. Like, every single day for over a decade...longer if you count school years. Today I slept through my alarm, which never happens, and due to being out of sorts and in a rush I forgot both meals in my fridge! This literally never happens to me, a natural early riser and super organizer!

I live in a very HCOL area so leaving food at home is a big deal for me. At first I was so pissed at myself, I almost wanted to cry because I was thinking about how much my error would cost. Most people in my office spend, without any exaggeration because I overhear them talking about it: $3 for coffee (plus $1 tip), $5 for a breakfast sandwich, and then around $14 for lunch (this is a standard lunch special, nothing fancy) plus $2 deliver fee. Yep, that's $25 a day. Crazy, right?

Then I stopped feeling bad and gave myself a good facepunch. What would MMM do? I knew my coffee was covered because I get that free at work daily (yeah you read that right, we get free coffee and most people still buy coffee out). So my only problem was food. I looked up the closest grocery store and decided to walk there and buy a day's worth of food. I did fairly well considering prices in my work area:

Breakfast- 1 banana (79 cents) and 1 cottage cheese ($1.25)
Lunch- 1 frozen bean burrito ($2.50)

Still a ripoff compared to bringing delicious homemade food, but way better than it could have been.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9285 on: June 15, 2017, 11:14:32 PM »
rdaneel0 --- you did awesome!

I was feeling very weak today (teen troubles) and AAAALMOST stopped at McDonald's for burgers and fries for me and 4 kids ... but I kept on driving knowing I had fresh bread made at home and a nice ham that I bought the other day. Crisis averted!

Weak feelings continued through dinner but I pulled myself together and made a Thai chicken curry like I'd planned.  A hot bath for me and good chats with said teen have lowered the angst scale quite a bit this evening.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9286 on: June 16, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Bought only what I needed at the store - bread (on sale) and milk.

Waited til I got home and had dinner instead of buying a snack at work this afternoon.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9287 on: June 16, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
A day in the kitchen!

3 meatloaves for dinner
A triple batch of macaroni salad
A cottage cheese salad
Fudge for an event we are attending tomorrow

Drank lots of tea to keep awake and motivated since my sleep was the pits last night.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9288 on: June 16, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
1. Saved $40 a month for the rest of my life

I had eye surgery, with some minor complications and a bad reaction to a shot they gave me. So long story short, my eye pressure went really high and they put me on drops. Expensive eye drops, my part was $40 and no, I can't use any discount cards, damn.
During one of the many follow ups, my own eye doctor mentioned I might get lucky and things would normalize. Then I could stop taking the drops. (which tend to burn when you put them in)
Anyway - I reminded him of that and we tested it for two months. Yay - everything is within normal range again.

2. Found a savings account that pays $100 bonus, if you save $50 a month for two years.
 Touted as an emergency fund and turned out to be a cool credit union too.
Hell yeah - where do I sign up? I mean, Chase wants you to park $15K in their savings account to get a $200 bonus.

Small stuff - I know, but hey it all adds up.

3. Food savings thanks to the bounty of Mother Nature.
Just finished the last batch of tomato sauce and soup earlier this week, all made with tomatoes from the garden. Chopped up two big freezer bags worth of peppers - looks like there will be one more small harvest and the garden bounty is finished for our garden year here in Florida.

4. Free organic tea - harvesting lemon verbena for tea this weekend.

5. Got a $20 rebate for Mr. R. - on his glasses, better yet, I talked him out of transition lenses which saved money as well.

6. Resisted buying a ton of books at B&N, but picked up two finance books and used my discount card. Will get the other books I wanted used on Amazon instead. I still have a few bucks left on a gift card and there will be extra rewards points and if I buy them all at once I might get free shipping too. So it was the right decision, but oh boy, it is so hard for me to walk away from a book I really want.

7. Mr. R. discovered the joys of bogo beer sales ...:) - $7 x 4 = $ 28

Not bad for one week.

TartanTallulah

• Stubble
« Reply #9289 on: June 16, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »
My car breakdown cover is becoming due. Every year, I do the following:

- Check their main competitor's website to see what deal they're offering for similar cover for new customers
- Look at a cashback website, to see what money I'd be able to get as cashback on this deal
- Phone up my provider, and tell them all about it, and ask them if they can give me a better renewal price.

This always works, every year. I just did it again, and managed to get my renewal premium reduced from 103 to 65! It helps that I've been with them a long time, and not actually called them out for years. Not a bad return, just for making one phone call.

Impressed! I must remember that for next year.

I did try something similar this year, but my existing provider just offered me a load of patronising babble about Gold Membership and valuing my loyalty instead of the discount I asked for, so I cancelled and am now paying 68 instead of 295 for comparable cover.

I might not even have noticed if they hadn't got a little too greedy and nudged my automatic renewal premium higher than my car insurance, triggering me to think, "That can't be right."

detailoriented

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9290 on: June 17, 2017, 05:12:23 AM »
Our family (DW+3) endured an extra 10 min driving in the car after a 6 hour drive to new York City to find a street parking spot that will be free for our whole weekend stay.  Saved ~$98.

Best part is that the spot is just outside the building we are stayingin so we can see it from the window of the apartment :)

DO

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #9291 on: June 17, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
I received a $20 Amazon gift card from a work-related hotel stay.  I was going to use it to buy something practical, but not strictly necessary, but used it to purchase dog food instead.

Filled out $38 in mail-in rebates last night.

Returned a few items yesterday that ended up not being used on a small project I've been working on.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9292 on: June 17, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
Stayed home lol.

Resisted the kid's pleas for pizza and made lunch from food we had at home.

t5inside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9293 on: June 17, 2017, 06:36:59 PM »
Got my car ready to put up for sale. I recently got a used sports car (unmustachian, but as mustachian as possible...), so my tradeoff was to downgrade my daily driver to more of a beater. Very bittersweet, but I'm not rich enough yet to have everything :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:39:14 PM by t5inside »

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #9294 on: June 17, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
I had a night at home on my own last. Hubby away. Kids at the in-laws. I resisted the urge to get takeaway and had mystery leftovers from the freezer. Turned out to be some sort of home-made chicken curry. So delicious.

I did buy a bottle of wine but used a 2 for the price of one voucher. All in all a very enjoyable night.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9295 on: June 18, 2017, 01:59:42 AM »
Got up early on Sunday (weekday early) to drive with my DH to a hiking area. That way I didn't have to drive somewhere else myself.

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9296 on: June 18, 2017, 06:45:18 AM »
I cashed in a ton of e-rewards points for Macy's giftcards and replaced several bras for almost free.

Hopefully I can build up enough points again to supplement holiday shopping in November.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9297 on: June 18, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
I guess everyone here does this: both DH and I started painting outside parts of the houses, starting with what needs it most. This will be another couple of days work before the nessesary parts are done. Will be either next weekend or some evenings.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9298 on: June 18, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
For a Fathers' Day gift for DH, I picked a pint of wild black raspberries for him (the patch was thick and thorny, and it took some doing to wade in and out of there) and fixed his coffee before he woke up. 

Have gone nowhere this weekend except for a quick trip to the library with the kids.   Resisted kid #2's request to go to a movie this weekend.  We are finding fun things to do at home instead.   

Zero spend weekend.     

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9299 on: June 19, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
While I was shopping at Goodwill for other things, a lady noticed a toy in my cart and asked if I had a little baby. I said yes and she told me she brought a pack-and-play to donate but this Goodwill doesn't accept baby items. She said she'd love to give it to me just to save her a trip to another thrift shop. The timing is perfect as baby has about outgrown her basinnette. Savings: $35+