Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2204941 times)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8850 on: April 08, 2017, 11:50:08 PM »
Fixed my washer last night at midnight... Was lying in bed and realized I hadn't heard the thing hit it's drain cycle yet.  Sure enough... full of water and  refusing to do anything but agitate.  Diagnosed the likely problem using the internet.  Pulled out the lid switch so I could see... realized the housing was broken so used some picture hanging wire to squeeze it back together.  Reassembled, and it worked!  Clean clothes this morning!  I should probably still order a new switch...
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8851 on: April 09, 2017, 02:41:48 AM »
So yesterday...

Replaced velux blinds that had been broken beyond repair ....replaced with cheap velux compatiable blinds which look great
took out Bay tree from garden, a lot of digging involved
hung out washes
ate left overs
no spend day

:)

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8852 on: April 09, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
I made oatmeal for breakfast this morning with my usual latte. DD made herself a breakfast sandwich and I made her chai tea.  I also made 2 Greek salads topped with leftover chicken for work. I turned 4 cups of chicken stock that I made yesterday into lentil soup, using a new recipe (only sub was chicken stock instead of veggie and I added one rib of celery) http://cookieandkate.com/2015/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/  I'm freezing half of it and packed up 2 servings for work to go with my Greek salads for Mon and Tues.  I still have more soup and more chicken left over for later in the week.  Planned for dinner tonight white clam pizza on the grill with arugula salad, salmon burgers tomorrow (from canned salmon) with sweet potato fries and salad.  I'm off Wednesdays so I usually only plan Mon-Tues, then on Weds I figure out the next couple days.  I made a jug of iced tea out of some of the fancy pants Tevena blueberry tea that was gifted to me.  I went through my spice cabinet and tea cabinet re-organized and refilled some of my spice bottles from the bulk spices that I get from my co-op.  DH brought out the grill and patio set out from the shed. We are enjoying being outside since the weather since it finally feels like spring! 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:33:12 PM by CutTheFat »

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #8853 on: April 09, 2017, 10:15:44 PM »
Today, I convinced DH to sign up for a new plan from our electric company.  It offers much lower rate per KWh in addition to a charge per maximum load incurred during the peak usage time.  I had crunched the numbers and my simulation was in favor.  He did a bit of checking and agreed.  We decided to revisit after August - we can always go back in the fall.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8854 on: April 10, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »
Washed and waxed both of our vehicles. It's not something we exactly enjoy, but fresh air and sunshine and some light exercise is nice.

Saved strawberry tops and spinach stems over the weekend and put them in a smoothie this morning (an idea from this thread!).

Bought "seconds" apples from the farmers market and made applesauce.

Made homemade iced tea and iced coffee.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8855 on: April 10, 2017, 07:42:05 AM »
Drank the free coffee at work - it's really not that bad tasting and it gets the job done.

Had some really brown bananas, so whipped up a batch of banana nut muffins.

Got down my kid's Easter baskets and plastic eggs from last year (really, from several years ago...) to re-use for this Easter.  Have been saving small stickers I get in the mail to put in the eggs.  Will probably add some small coins this year as our oldest is loving putting money in her piggy bank.  Hoping she ends up with her mama's love for saving!

Found out I'm getting a raise at work.  Already figured out how much I'll increase retirement contributions by to eat up said raise.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8856 on: April 10, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »
Yesterday, drove 10+ hours for a friend's baby shower. Packed food and downloaded podcasts ahead of time. All I ended up buying was 1 coffee on the way home- that even would have been avoided if the coffee at the shower hadn't gotten finished before I left =) Still, it was a good stop to stretch my legs and use the bathroom anyway. And our new car gets 40mpg on long trips, which is sooooo much better than when I used to drive my 17-20mpg truck everywhere.

At baby shower, Friend sent me home with a bag of 'overflow' baby clothes and a new stroller- they had bought it and a single plastic piece is broken. Company sent a new one and told them to trash the old. We're going to take a look at the stroller and see if it'll be an easy fix. Close friend is a mechanical engineer with a 3D printer, so there's a chance the cost of a beer and a drive will get us a fancy-pants stroller. Admittedly, now I'm the crazy lady who hasn't gotten pregnant yet who already has a high chair, a stroller, lots of baby clothes, etc. ;) Haha. Good thing we have an attic to hide stuff in!

Today, DH is taking an exam in another town. Exam is 6 hours, with a break in the middle, so we packed him a big lunch and an iced coffee to take.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #8857 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »
I cancelled a follow up physio appointment, I feel much better from a one off injury and it was going to. E just a follow up appointment, $110 saved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #8858 on: April 10, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »
Updated all my credit and rewards cards on UPromise. Only 2/6 were up to date. Also requested a check for cash back that was still hanging out there for a few years. Had to buy a book for DD's school work, so got it used off Amazon, and went through the Jet Blue portal for 3X points. I'll try buying an Amazon gift card next week at the grocery store with my 6% cash back card, to see if I can stack the 6% and 3X points.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8859 on: April 11, 2017, 12:11:53 AM »
Made curry using up veges that would've turned otherwise.

Froze delicious baked goods from the weekend for future afternoon teas.

Pennycounter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8860 on: April 11, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
I looked up some neck stretches on youtube instead of booking a massage.  My neck really hurts but after one session of the stretches I can tell they will help.

Didn't stop for coffee this morning! It's still my guilty/small pleasure a few x/month.  But I haven't gotten a coffee in April :)  It's all about the little things here!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8861 on: April 11, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
When the company I work for was acquired a couple of months ago, the HR people told us about all of their different benefits and blah blah, some of which had waiting periods (like 60 days for the 401(k)). I realized last week that they'd never offered us one of the benefit programs that they'd told us about (pre-tax transit), so I asked about it and HR is setting me up for access now. (I'm not sure if they just forgot or if eligibility is based on remembering to ask for it, or what... :-/ Weird.)

Bottom line: should be worth a little over $500/yr in cash savings!
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8862 on: April 11, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »
Did not sign kids up for camps during spring break. Wow it feels great. No where to go. Kids relaxed, watching TV, reading books, doing crafts, went outside to kick a ball around.

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #8863 on: April 11, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
Did my first churn today.
Went to Huntington Bank, opened a checking account with $1000. Will receive $250 bonus deposit in one month.
While I was there, applied for a CC w/ 3% cashback at grocery, and $100 bonus cash w/ $500 of activity in the first 2 months. No problem, we spend $3-400/mo on groceries.

Should receive $350 in a couple months for a total time investment <2hrs.

11ducks

• Bristles
« Reply #8864 on: April 11, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
Over the last few days I have:

-put in an insurance claim for travel fees after our honeymoon  holiday was cancelled due to a cyclone (TG for MMM, we had money to pay upfront for something else!)

-saved $30 on our normal grocery bill by being thrifty - put it towards our house deposit account

-reduced the fees on my retirement savings account by getting classified as white collar

-reworked my budget to save a little more each fortnight, now between investment savings, house deposit savings and rent (which will one day go to the house) - I'm at 51%!

-went to thrift store for desperately needed work pants, only shopped clearance racks, found 2x black pairs of work pants for $2 each, 2 x pretty summer dresses (shame its winter here) for $2 each, and a pair of comfy black skinny jeans for $3.20 - I've  had jeans that are just a bit too small for 3-4 winters now, so having a comfy pair  of warm pants that fit is amazing!

-turned our hot water heater down from 80C to 60C. Plan to shop for hot water insulation this week.

Cheaper beans...CHEAPER BEANS! - dagiffy1

Raenia

• Bristles
« Reply #8865 on: April 11, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »
Today I got new car insurance quotes from several different providers.  Looks like it's time to switch carriers!  That will save me several hundred dollars over the next year.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8866 on: April 11, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
Today for breakfast I made my usual latte at home with eggs and toast. I ate the salad  and clementine that I brought to work for lunch and I stepped outside the office and found a spot to sit and enjoy the weather while I ate my lunch.  It was a stressful day at work and for a little while I forgot I was stressed.  I had to work late and had anticipated it so I brought a scoop of whey protein powder in my shaker bottle.  I added too much water and it didn't taste good at all.  I was starving so I just chugged it anyway.  DH texted that we were out of both feta and blue cheese and we had planned a salad to go with soup for dinner.  I asked if he wanted me stop at the store on my way home and his reply was, "Either way I'm good.  Don't "need" cheese".  I said let's skip it then.  I've recently started seeing a shift in him and I'm loving it.  I've committed to consuming and enjoying fancy teas from my stash every evening.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have an entire cabinet in my kitchen dedicated to tea, yet I tend to drink and repurchase the same 2 teas while all the fancy ones just sit there!  My goal is to not purchase any tea until I use up what I have.  Now I can't help but think what I can store in that cabinet once there is room and how long it will take to clear it out.  I'm continuing to read through all of the pages of this thread for inspiration and ideas.                     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:33:27 AM by CutTheFat »

hiker_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8867 on: April 12, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
Decided to stop using wall clocks because I am tired of replacing or recharging their batteries every few months. My rechargeable batteries and charger from ~2007 have died and I am not planning to replace them. I will train myself to rely on my cell phone instead. 

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8868 on: April 12, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
Hung up most of the washed laundry in the bathroom. Only the bed sheets had to be tumble dried, because I don't have any place to hang those up inside. It rains outside.

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8869 on: April 12, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
Baked muffins and boiled hard-boiled eggs for husbands breakfast meeting tomorrow. Its a 6:00 AM study group that he trades off breakfast responsibility for, and for months we have just eaten the 10.00 donut cost every four weeks.  I was tired of them eating all the sugar, and he was tired of spending money on junk food.  Husband had to work late,  so,  while maybe not cheaper, I did bake blueberry muffins and boil the eggs for him.  And then to make myself feel even better, I added a 10.00 payment to our vehicle loan debt.....

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
« Reply #8870 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:25 PM »
Paying off car loan... sold my concert tickets I bought way while back. Made $15 extra. $80 going towards loan.
blog :: stupid debt.  And I have a journal, y'all just think I am going to delete it

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8871 on: April 13, 2017, 04:25:57 AM »
I'm down to one working belt that I switch between all pants, time to shop.  Checked the local clothing stores, but found that the cheap stuff felt... cheap, and the good stuff was 'spensive.

Let's go online.  Found a small family owned leather goods manufacturer that now also has online shopping.  Got two really nice leather belts for approx half price of the one I was considering in town.

And as a bonus, I avoided the chain store retail and support a smallish, craft style-store in a small town in the countryside.  And bought quality. :)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8872 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:19 AM »
Spending a rainy day on sewing a sweater for myself from a cloth that we got for free.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #8873 on: April 13, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »
Had a buddy over to help with a car fix. He was able to get the part online for $30 less than Advance Auto Parts wanted and after about an hour of work my check engine light was off. The mechanic wanted $300! Gave my buddy $50 and paid for the parts. $270 saved!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8874 on: April 13, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Bought a metal filter for my Aeropress coffee maker.  No more paper filters for me.  Cuts down future cost AND waste.  Coffee tastes better too.  I get better flavor so I use less grounds per cup (saves $$), and even more impressive - I am able to finally drink my coffee black.  So no more cream or coconut milk or whatever, again saving more $$.  Love it when a small change cascades like that.
Frugalite in training.

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #8875 on: April 13, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »
Hi lemanfaan,

Would you pass on the link for the belt makers?

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8876 on: April 13, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
I didn't have enough summer clothes to get through a week without doing laundry. I hit up the thrift store (not the cheapest one, but has a far better selection than any other I've found nearby) and got 3 pairs of shorts and 4 t-shirts for $40.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

MrMonkeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #8877 on: April 13, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
Changed my cell phone plan to save $20/mo. I don't need 2GB of high-speed data, especially when I'm almost always on Wi-Fi.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8878 on: April 13, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »
Hi lemanfaan,

Would you pass on the link for the belt makers?

Sure it's http://maleraslader.com/  ... but probably not a really good place to shop for people outside of Sweden.  At least since the e-shop is in Swedish only.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8879 on: April 13, 2017, 06:50:28 PM »
Despite running out of data, I did not upgrade my data plan. Wi-Fi only until May!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8880 on: April 13, 2017, 06:55:44 PM »
-Even though I had planned on buying asparagus, and REALLY wanted it, it double in price in the last week ($1.99/lb to $3.99/lb), so I bought cabbage instead. Roasted cabbage is still delicious, and it's only $0.99/lb.

-Husband and I decided this weekend we will put in additional raised beds. The added gardening space will save us money in the long run on food. Plus, having a good healthy outdoor hobby can bump less healthy or more expensive habits.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8881 on: April 13, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
There was one more unopened package of muffin liners at the thrift store.  I bought it for 50 cents. 

Normally I buy the same brand for a couple bucks, cuz the dollar ones are crap...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8882 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
There was one more unopened package of muffin liners at the thrift store.  I bought it for 50 cents. 

Normally I buy the same brand for a couple bucks, cuz the dollar ones are crap...

If you use them often, you might want to look into silicone reusable ones. We got a set for like $5 or $6? And they are awesome. Particularly for things that classically stick, like breakfast egg cups.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8883 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
I went to Costco yesterday after work needed whey protein powder (this is what DH has instead of lunch everyday) and a few groceries that are cheaper there then elsewhere.  I also wanted to check out the different fish oils because they are having a sale.  I choose the cheapest Kirkland fish oil for an enormous savings! My old brand Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega (Amazon) cost $59.46 for 180 caps, $0.33/capsule with a recommended dose of 2 caps $0.66/day (face punch) although DH always took 1/day and then I recently went down to 1/day to reducing costs so for the 2 of, it was still $0.66/day.  New Kirkland enteric Coated fish oil has a regular price of $15.99 with a $3 off right now so $11.99 for 180 caps $0.06 and a serving size is one cap!  So for both DH and I $0.12/day.  Saving over 3 months is $47.47 that's $189.88/year savings over 10 years $1,898.80. I bought 2 bottles, but now I'm wishing I had grabbed more.  I have to check to see when this sale ends and see if I can coordinate another trip.  Costco is 5.5 miles from work but going in the opposite direction from home.  I topped off my gas tank while there because it was cheaper than my usual cheap place by $0.04/gallon, a savings of $0.22. 

I also went into the Costco package store while I was there to stock up.  Spent $59.49 but this will last us a long time.  4 bottles of highly rated, inexpensive Kirkland Signature wine, Rioja, $6.99, Malbec $6.99, Sauvignon Blanc $6.99 and Pinot Grigio $5.99.  A huge bottle of Kirkland Signature (USA) vodka $11.99 and a huge bottle of Kirkland Signature gin $16.99.  I used some of the vodka to start some vanilla extract with some vanilla beans that I got as a gift for Christmas (found last weekend when I cleaned out the cabinets), using a recycled soy sauce bottle.  We don't typically drink vodka so I'm sure it will last us a very, very long time.  DH likes to drink gin and tonic when it gets warm out and this is cheaper than the brand that I usually get him.  He hasn't tried the new brand yet, I'll be back to post his opinion once he tries it.       

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8884 on: April 15, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
Yesterday, I

-increased the deductibles on car insurance for ~$100 savings each year; will reduce coverage next year for additional savings (car recently paid off)
-returned two pairs of shoes (out of three ordered online) to brick & mortar store to save $8 on shipping and to remind me why I don't shop at the mall (shoes ordered online were $25 less than at mall).
-didn't buy Cinnabon at mall even though I really wanted one (we have been watching Better Call Saul on Netflix).

Today, I gave myself a so-so haircut ($80 not spent).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:23:17 PM by prettypaperwork »
FI by 2026 if all goes as planned.

"Sugar rots your teeth and gives you brain damage."  --Neil, The Young Ones

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8885 on: April 15, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
Our guest (FIL) brought a bottle of good whisky and a 3 liter box wine at the tax free at our request. I offered to pay it back, but was not allowed. Now my DH and his father are out fishing, trying to catch sea trout or cod.

lexde

• Bristles
« Reply #8886 on: April 15, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
Not saving money, but earning it:

- Last week got $250 Wells Fargo sign up bonus.
- Today opened PNC account and am in the process of meeting requirements for $430 sign up bonus.
- Traded cash for a gift card (equal value) so I didn't have to spend at that place. Mom shops there, I don't. Win/win.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #8887 on: April 15, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Cashed in the coin jar at CoinStar for a Lowe's certificate (no fee).  Not strictly saving money, but it will pay for some random items I need to buy in the next few weeks.

Continuing to work on my homemade horse jumps.  I've nearly caved and purchased pre-fab parts a few times, but I had enough scrap wood around to do almost all of it.  Just need to buy the bolts, screws and one 4x4, so I'll be spending $20 instead of like $200.

Drank water I brought along while out running errands instead of stopping for coffee or buying a can of soda.

Borrowed some bits from a friend to try on the new horse instead of buying a bunch to find out which one horsey prefers (they're non-returnable once used).

Used a $10 off $40 coupon at WinCo to buy lots of veggies, butter and cheese today.  Also took a chance on some $7 pinot noir that had a mail-in rebate with it, bringing the price to $5/bottle.

Using some leftover lamb to make a fried rice dish for dinner.  Should be cheap, tasty and relatively healthy with a side of asparagus.

Bought new horsey her wardrobe of winter blankets right away since they go on clearance this time of year and were all >50% off.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8888 on: April 15, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »
Entertained the kids for free: puppet show and story time at the library, short hike with friends at a local wilderness area.

Currently putting up salsa and chicken stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8889 on: April 16, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
Got home last night after a long weekend, defrosted bolognese from the freezer, had dinner on the table in 15 minutes.

I'll shop and cook today and replenish the stash of (homemade) freezer meals.

My mum saved two of Mr MPGH's business shirts which I thought were beyond repair.

Not only would you never know they were damaged, one now has a new placket which makes it look like a completely different shirt (a bonus since he needs to be on camera for work and repeating the same outfits is frowned on).

nick663

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8890 on: April 16, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »
Sold a CD on eBay.  Packaged and ready to ship tomorrow.

Changed front brakes on the wife's car.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #8891 on: April 16, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
A couple of days ago: finally got around to calling my health insurance about a bill I got from a provider for $365 that should have been covered.  In my past life I probably would have just paid the bill with my FSA card and told myself I'd get reimbursed later (but forget to follow up).  Instead I called the insurance and spent a few minutes on the phone and they immediately processed the payment in full while I was on hold.  Boom! I now owe $0.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8892 on: April 17, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »
Today, as yesterday, we will entertain ourselves outside in nature. Only today we are going to drive to it and burn some fuel. But we will bring sandwiches and tea bags and a cattle and make it a sort if picknick. Ignoring the fact that that ground is covered in an inch of snow this morning.
We are at this visiting place also planning to fourage, my DH by freediving and I will look for kelp/seaweed
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:33:38 PM by Linda_Norway »

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8893 on: April 17, 2017, 05:26:58 AM »
Felt like eating something 'decadent', today (I normally eat a very strict diet of vegetables, legumes, and fruit). I was going to ask hubby to go to a bakery and pick up lunch for the family. Instead, I asked him to bike down to the supermarket and buy a mince pie for each of us, as well as a tin of tomat sauce (I checked the supermarket's website before he went, to find the cheapest per litre sauce). While he was away, I boiled some potatoes. Once the pies were in the oven, I decanted the tomato sauce from the tin into a sauce bottle we already have, using a groovy, retro orange funnel I found at a local charity shop, a couple of weeks ago. I estimate we saved $11 over the bakery food I had in mind and the meal we had was much less greasy than bakery food tends to be.

I loved the first season of The Crown, but recently cancelled Netflix. I was planning on signing up again for one month, so hubby and I can watch Season 2. However, I realised today that I can just wait until the final season is released, then sign up for a month and binge-watch the whole lot.

ETA that the potatoes above were free, as a friend gave us a bagful the other day and I boiled them during the free daily hour of electricity our electricity provider gives us!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:56:23 PM by PetiteMouche »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8894 on: April 17, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
My smart phone is getting old (4 years, which is like 50 in technology years). It's starting to run slowly, has trouble with modern apps, and can't hold a charge more than an hour when in use, and no more than 3 hours when idle. But instead of shelling $600 for a whole new phone, I used credit card cashback to buy a new battery on Amazon. By chance it was a Lightning Deal that day, so I saved a couple extra cashback dollars as well. It's like I got a whole new phone. Battery lasts (comparatively) forever. Plus I think the heat generated by the old battery was causing some of the slowdown, because it runs much better now.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8895 on: April 17, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »
One of the side zippers on our laundry container came completely unzipped and we couldn't reset it.  So I sewed the whole thing up while watching youtube.  I hadn't realized until it came unzipped that there was a side zipper.  I have no idea how much money this saved, but the idea of going shopping for a new one this weekend was just too painful to contemplate.

Bell peppers were on sale for 1.99/lb and a case of tomatoes came out to $1/lb, so I roasted them up and put them in the freezer for later.  We ate more vegetables this winter than in the past, so my preparation from fall sales had been insufficient.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8896 on: April 17, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »
-Sewed husband's shorts up (2 pairs) that the seams pulled out of.

-Been on a roll with no food waste. We're never too bad with this, but there's always room to improve.

-Built more garden beds. It blows my mind that people pay for them pre-made, they're dead simple.

-Keeping up with my running, still using free apps for training. Thinking I'll use my $25 birthday money visa gift card I have sitting around for running tights or a gear belt, since I've stuck with it for 12 weeks now. (My birthday was over a month ago, haha. Still, sticking to the 72 hour waiting period first).

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8897 on: April 17, 2017, 08:21:33 PM »
Today was a no spend day, a no driving day, and a successful Meatless Monday.

I had some grape tomatoes that were starting to get wrinkly so I sliced them and roasted with olive oil, honey, and salt. They are great in salads or quiches this way and can be frozen.

Soaked and cooked chickpeas in the crockpot to make hummus tomorrow.

I'm sewing a summer dress and took the time to very carefully cut out all the pieces and transfer markings using thread tacks. I'm using some very nice bamboo jersey and want to make sure I don't waste it!

Forum journal

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8898 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
I have no idea how much money this saved, but the idea of going shopping for a new one this weekend was just too painful to contemplate.

With you on that.

My peg basket has perished from sitting in the sun on my balcony. I picked it up on the weekend and it cracked and the corner broke off.

I wrapped it in packaging tape and returned it to the balcony (now out of the sun).

I'm sure I could replace it for a couple of bucks but that would involve shopping. *shudder*

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8899 on: April 17, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
Said "no" to a really delicious taco plate ($7) even though the power was out at work for 1.5hrs and my lunch was frozen. When the power came back on, I ran to the microwave in a hangry state. Lol
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:11:17 PM by Chippewa »
blog :: stupid debt.  And I have a journal, y'all just think I am going to delete it