Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2113705 times)

alewpanda

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8700 on: March 14, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Brought lunch, and in the process of cooking dinner/packing lunches yesterday, I got dinner for last night, lunches for today, and most of the needed food for tomorrow's lunches made too.

Drinking water from my water bottle and coffee from my thermos.

Windshield got a chip in it while on the highway yesterday.  Our local glass place put it in a few months ago, and with each replacement you get one free chip repair.  I'm hoping this one will be repairable! 

Saved a touch of electricity by dropping the temp an extra degree yesterday, not using the space heater like we sometimes do, and simply reading/nintendo switch playing in bed under the covers for the evening...

Got up late this morning.  Sent a package of oatmeal with the husband for his breakfast instead of him stopping for coffee and a donut.

Electric company came to mark trees for trimming/cutting down in our neighborhood.  Bad news: previous owners managed to plant nearly all the trees in the backyard directly under the lines, and they are all tall growers.  Good news: several were needing taken down anyway due to storm damage/blight, so now they will be taken down for free.  Also, while most of our backyard trees will be chopped down, we will be given vouchers for new ones that we can choose and position wherever on our property.  I'm hoping to use them more for privacy/sun protection, rather than simply replanting shorter trees under the lines again......

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8701 on: March 14, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »

Electric company came to mark trees for trimming/cutting down in our neighborhood.  Bad news: previous owners managed to plant nearly all the trees in the backyard directly under the lines, and they are all tall growers.  Good news: several were needing taken down anyway due to storm damage/blight, so now they will be taken down for free.  Also, while most of our backyard trees will be chopped down, we will be given vouchers for new ones that we can choose and position wherever on our property.  I'm hoping to use them more for privacy/sun protection, rather than simply replanting shorter trees under the lines again......

Do you have a stove or a fire place? Then you can cut the cut down trees and use them as fuel.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8702 on: March 14, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »
My nephew is visiting for the week because he loves to ski.  We're saving money by having a friend give him lessons and going to the 'cheap' mountain (Loveland) instead of the expensive mountain (Vail and most others). 

Oh, and he loves tacos so we made tacos at home with the flat bottom hard shells that stand up on their own.  Way cheaper than going out and he enjoyed the heck out of them. 
Frugalite in training.

tc_traveler86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8703 on: March 14, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
Well, pantry-anarchy continues- No spend day because we are snowed in! 
Given that most of my kitchen is packed, and I have started giving away staples food options today are.... eclectic.
Really, really, really hope it stops snowing soon as our Ubox is supposed to be shipped out tomorrow :(  At least this has forced me to really clean the current place.  Seems silly since we are already loosing the security deposit (we are breaking the lease to move cross country, but the landlord won't charge us for the months we aren't living there), but the landlord is a solid guy, so scrub away I will.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8704 on: March 14, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »
The big accomplishment of the week was replacing my Macbook display, which cracked when I tripped over the power cord. It was still sort of usable, but extremely annoying to have a 4 inch spider web shaped black area at the top, plus flickering lines running all across and down the screen.  Getting it fixed at a local store would have been something like $650, but I ordered a used display online for $200 which looks like new.  I had some setbacks installing it, as I didn't have the right size Pentalobe screwdriver (but found a tiny flathead which worked in most of the screws) and then one screw wouldn't come out so I had to go to the Apple Store where they "loosened" it for me as a courtesy... but I had to pay $3 for mall parking.

Then I had to find a window of time where my kids wouldn't disturb me while I took my laptop apart. But thanks to iFixit's excellent instructions, I now have crystal clear window to the world again!

This is amazing! Broken electronic devices scare the heck out of me, but I will have to try iFixit the next time something breaks.

Thanks!! It really was not too hard, but you do need some fine motor control. If you are just starting out with electronics, it might be a good idea to get exactly the equipment they specify.  I was too cheap to pay $3 for a plastic "spudger" in this case, so I used a part of a plastic toy that seemed it would do the trick; plus I was too impatient to buy a Pentalobe screwdriver... but if I had to do it over again (never, knock on wood!) I would spring for the right screwdriver instead of trying to improvise.

I've been moaning about my broken fridge here for weeks or months, and today I saved on a repairman by finally installing a new thermostat.  It took less than 30 minutes, and it works!! Little did the person who lovingly gave me an Amazon Echo, know that with the return credit, I would buy used refrigerator parts.  I don't buy tech-- I AM tech!  (beating chest)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8705 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »
Made six more servings of baby food.

Saved $20 by buying a converter cable instead of replacement earbuds for my phone.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8706 on: March 15, 2017, 12:19:18 AM »
alewpanda:Can you choose fruit trees with your tree vouchers? That would be amazing!

Today I:

*Made a curry with leftover BBQ pork loin (no children were harmed in the making of this dinner!)

*Made a double loaf of french bread from refrigerator dough and started another batch of dough on the counter

*Returned library materials on time and also had a book come in that I put on hold months ago

*Sat in the car and waited for husband to get xray rather than paying for parking and going in with him. Ran library errand while I waited too.

*Watched a library movie with kids for a fun spring break night - It was "The Secret Life of Pets" and its pretty funny, actually.

(***now carefully proofing my contribution before hitting Post***)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8707 on: March 15, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »
My parents are snowbirds and are gone from Ontario to Florida for about three months every year. I tried out Viber this year to talk to them over my WiFi and it had been working quite well. In total it cost me approximately $11 to talk to them every third day for about an hour. The bonus of using Viber, is it allows me to have a very low budget phone plan, which saves me significantly more throughout the year. I'm glad I tried it out.

I logged in and got my free samples from Sample Source yesterday. This service always saves me a bit because I use the small toiletries when I go car camping. I also usually get some pretty good coupons that I can either use, or giveaway to friends if I don't use the specific product. Then there are just some great samples that are treats, like chocolate!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 03:54:11 PM by LindseyC »

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8708 on: March 16, 2017, 02:18:40 AM »
Our double bed has been falling apart twice recently. The supporting leg under the middle of the bed sometimes loosens and then the supporting beam comes down. Not nice when you want to sleep.
I measured the height of the support leg and put a log of almost the same size under it as a backup support. This weekend my husband will make a better fitting solution with some wood that we have in the garage. Then we don't need to buy a new bed. It is over 20 years old now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:28:51 AM by Linda_Norway »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8709 on: March 16, 2017, 03:28:46 AM »
Bought a couple ammo cases on sale from my favorite supplier. Saved huge money buying in bulk on sale.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8710 on: March 16, 2017, 06:22:07 AM »
Requested baby socks on Buy Nothing group. 
Ended up with 3 bags (from different people) of toddler socks, but I can hang onto them until I need them.

I have to say though, our Buy Nothing group moderator is driving me crazy. She's decided we should have theme days. So every day she posts a theme and then asks all day long for people to post things with that theme. Do other groups do that?  I don't care if it is pet supply day or bedding day.  If people have things to offer, they will offer them. If people need things, they will ask for them.  Why are we trying to meet themes?  Is this like a declutter challenge of hers?  And daily? (As opposed to weekly...)- she's going to run out of ideas!

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8711 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
alewpanda:Can you choose fruit trees with your tree vouchers? That would be amazing!

Today I:

*Made a curry with leftover BBQ pork loin (no children were harmed in the making of this dinner!)

*Made a double loaf of french bread from refrigerator dough and started another batch of dough on the counter

*Returned library materials on time and also had a book come in that I put on hold months ago

*Sat in the car and waited for husband to get xray rather than paying for parking and going in with him. Ran library errand while I waited too.

*Watched a library movie with kids for a fun spring break night - It was "The Secret Life of Pets" and its pretty funny, actually.

(***now carefully proofing my contribution before hitting Post***)

I was given some paperwork on the tree options, and at least one booklet has mention of a crab apple tree, although I've never eaten crab apples....

But, the booklets only included the trees that both nurseries have to offer towards the voucher.  I'm getting our voucher for the larger of the nurseries, which the electric company lady told me has more options that shown in the booklet.  So, maybe! 

Although I will need to make sure the fruit is dog safe I guess.... or plant it outside of my fence...lol.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8712 on: March 16, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
Crabapples can still be useful!  Not only do they have lovely flowers, but you can make jelly with the crabapples, and also they are excellent pollinators for eating apples, which usually require planting another tree of a different variety nearby, or they will not set fruit.

See one of my current favorite gardening books:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/grow-a-little-fruit-tree-ann-ralph/1120698048?ean=9781612120546

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8713 on: March 16, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »
*Sbux gc I received allowed me to surprise my daughter with a London Fog at work today.

*Dropped off some stuff for my friend at her mom's house - she lives an hour from me but her mom is 10 minutes and I was over there picking up my son

*Got a chicken going in the crockpot - not sure what to have with it yet but got this part going so that we have a cooked protein to work with at 5:00 tonite.

*Giving away a basketball hoop we were given. We have two now. Not frugal but feels nice to share the love!

*Cutting up fruit for snacks for my crew this afternoon

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #8714 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »
Crabapples can still be useful!  Not only do they have lovely flowers, but you can make jelly with the crabapples, and also they are excellent pollinators for eating apples, which usually require planting another tree of a different variety nearby, or they will not set fruit.

See one of my current favorite gardening books:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/grow-a-little-fruit-tree-ann-ralph/1120698048?ean=9781612120546

We made lots of crabapple sauce last fall (with the hand-crank sauce maker that takes out the seeds and skin after the apples are softened) and it's delicious! It's a beautiful bright red colour and quite tart, but can of course be sweetened. Sadly running out of frozen supplies already so planning to make more next year. We also make jelly with the crabapples, which is yummy, but I find the sauce more useful. Mix with yogurt, use in baking, add sugar and eat for dessert...
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

nessness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8715 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »
I accidentally saved $12 yesterday  by forgetting my wallet when I went to get my oil changed yesterday. I get discounted oil changes at the dealership where I bought my car, and when I got to my appointment and told the guy I'd forgotten my wallet he agreed to waive the cost. Having a newborn baby with me probably helped. Not having my wallet also eliminated the temptation to get something from the vending machine.

I made chickpea curry in the crockpot yesterday and have enough leftover for today, so that's another win!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8716 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »
Drinking free tea at the office!  Usually, I make my own, but I'm giving the free tea bags a whirl.
Ate leftover rice for breakfast. 
Packed my lunch with remnants from our kitchen.
Went for a walk with a friend this morning instead of going to a spin class (I do love spin.  The classes are just ridiculously expensive.)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8717 on: March 17, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
Trying to not buy groceries (except produce and milk and oats) until most of the food in the kitchen is used up.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Erma

• Bristles
« Reply #8718 on: March 17, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
We fixed our bed. The frame was distorted and the grid? was at an angle. That was very uncomfortable to sleep. A lot of screws and three metallic things fixed the problem

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8719 on: March 17, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »
Husband replaced a leaking fuel line in his truck, no small undertaking since he had to drop the tank.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #8720 on: March 17, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »
Well, I tried to replace the bathtub faucet.  The diverter is toast, so I can't shower.  The first faucet didn't fit because the pipe has an adapter totally corroded onto it.  Returned the first one and tried another one today, and promptly broke it trying to get it to fit the adapter.  So $30 almost literally down the drain.  I want to gut this bathroom and put in a walk-in shower within the next year, so I'm just going to find a rubber plug to plug the pipe and it will be a shower only until I'm ready to remodel.  All in all, cheaper than having a plumber out, despite the wasted part.

Ate home-canned soup for lunch and made a cheap rice-based dinner with ingredients we're trying to eat down.  DH forgot to stop and get salad on the way home, so inadvertent bit of savings there.

Shopped around a bit online today while one a conference call and found the summer breeches I wanted for almost $25 less, and got my riding gloves cheaper from the same site as well.  Total saved, about $60.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8721 on: March 18, 2017, 05:09:48 AM »
Tja, yesterday we went to a concert and ate out in the main city. The small tribute I made was walking 2 km down our steep road to the train station, so that we in the evening could drive back uphill with my DH's car.
We did not buy any drinks in the concert hall where it is super overpriced. We were of course not allowed to bring own drinks. We also had standing tickets instead of seats. And as it was a goodbye concert from a Norwegian group, they had lots of other famous Norwegian artists as guests, singing there own songs in German (singing in German that is the point of this group). Good value for money therefore.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8722 on: March 18, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »
Today we washed our 2 racing bikes and an extra pair of wheels really well. Tomorrow we will photograph them and put them out for sale. Good to get some money for bikes we don't use anymore. And it will reduce the number of bikes in the house from 7 to 5.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8723 on: March 18, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »
Today we washed our 2 racing bikes and an extra pair of wheels really well. Tomorrow we will photograph them and put them out for sale. Good to get some money for bikes we don't use anymore. And it will reduce the number of bikes in the house from 7 to 5. 

Well done, Linda_Norway.  I know that as you look ahead to retirement, you've been pondering around downsizing and storage of all your outdoor equipment.  Reducing the amount of stuff you have now, to only those things that you're actually using/going to use, will help you get a much better picture of how much room you actually need for storage.
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8724 on: March 18, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »
My husband installed the second half of the new breakes on the car. He installed the first half in autumn, but the second half didn't fit yet. Now it does hopefully. He is now about to drive off the steep hill and find out. ;-)

snapperdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8725 on: March 18, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »
He is now about to drive off the steep hill and find out. ;-)

I hope that means something else in Norway than it does here.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8726 on: March 18, 2017, 05:00:52 PM »

I have no idea about any other than literal meaning of these words. I mean them literal.
Our house is at the top of a hill with only steep roads down. Not any good quality roads, but roads nevertheless. The breaks worked fine.

snapperdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8727 on: March 18, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

I have no idea about any other than literal meaning of these words. I mean them literal.
Our house is at the top of a hill with only steep roads down. Not any good quality roads, but roads nevertheless. The breaks worked fine.

I was talking about "down the hill" versus "off the hill".

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #8728 on: March 18, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
I bought a cheap hose reel, since I ruined cheap hoses regularly. I paid something like $15 for. Well, as is the case with cheap things, the seam started leaking over the past couple days, and getting worse. So I pulled it out, through some caulk I had on the seam, wrapped it in plumber's tape I had, and wrapped that with duct tape I had. It's working great now! No leaking water.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8729 on: March 18, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
I wanted some fabric boxes to store magazines and sort mail. Instead of buying something, I cut up shipping boxes to make exactly the size I wanted and wrapped them in fabric I had gotten in a grab bag.  They look great and are the perfect size.  And hopefully they help with the paper everywhere situation!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8730 on: March 19, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
* Stewing an old hen in a cast-iron Dutch oven overnight so we can use the meat for soft tacos. Used a homegrown rosemary, homegrown thyme and a homegrown lemon in the braising liquid.

* Bought "herbes de provence" from the bulk jars at Sprouts for $0.70 to refill my empty herb bottle. New bottles are $3-6.

* Made brownies from scratch to contribute a Cub Scout fundraiser rather than buying a box of something from the grocery.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8731 on: March 19, 2017, 11:44:35 PM »
* Stewing an old hen in a cast-iron Dutch oven overnight so we can use the meat for soft tacos. Used a homegrown rosemary, homegrown thyme and a homegrown lemon in the braising liquid.

* Bought "herbes de provence" from the bulk jars at Sprouts for $0.70 to refill my empty herb bottle. New bottles are $3-6.

* Made brownies from scratch to contribute a Cub Scout fundraiser rather than buying a box of something from the grocery.

What do you use herbes de Provence for? Someone gave m a jar, and I am at a loss.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8732 on: March 19, 2017, 11:51:53 PM »

What do you use herbes de Provence in?

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8733 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:59 AM »
I tried to fix broken Velux blind....emailed customer support to find out type of screwdriver I need to get apart one particular bit and they emailed saying they would send me free screwdriver :) :) happy days :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8734 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »

Do you ever make your own french fries or hash browns? They can be quite tasty on fried up potatoes =) My mom uses them on baked chicken, but I don't like that as much. (Marjoram is hit or miss for me).
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8735 on: March 20, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »

Do you ever make your own french fries or hash browns? They can be quite tasty on fried up potatoes =) My mom uses them on baked chicken, but I don't like that as much. (Marjoram is hit or miss for me).

herbes de provence - oven sweet potato fries.  cut up the sweet potatoes, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with herbes de provence, put on baking sheet and cook for about an hour at 450.  Wonderful.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8736 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
While back, got a really good deal on T-bone steaks. Ate the meat pretty soon thereafter, but froze the bones. Which are now bathing in the Instant Pot with some cow hooves and frozen onion skins for bone broth.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8737 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »
Had a lot to do at work today, and forgot to eat lunch!
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #8738 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:04 PM »
Instead of mindlessly buying more Audible credits ($11 each), I searched the Kindle daily deals and sorted by lowest price. I found a couple book series that looked good and which also discounted the audiobook version if you already own the Kindle version. I ended up getting six books, in both Kindle and Audible versions, for ~$18.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:02:05 PM by TheBuddha »
Debt-free as of 9/11/15. Paid off $50k in 3.5 years.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8739 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:34 PM »
I use herbes de provence the way other people use lemon salt or garlic salt. It's just, like, flavor. Most recently I used it on wild salmon fillets and it was so good. But the main reason my bottle was empty was because my 6yo used it all up for a "potion."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8740 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
I love using lots of herbs and spices but have never used herbes de provence so thank you everyone for chatting about this! I will pick some up next time I am at our bulk herb store!

Today I:

*used up some potatoes that had sprouts for home fries. Had a partial bottle of Red Robin seasoning we were given, and so used it on the taters. They were delicious.

*used up some sourdough bread I made yesterday

*thawed and cooked enough salmon for dinner and leftovers for tomorrow

*stayed out of stores. I went over my grocery budget by $91 last week, so have to make this week's money last until payday March 31st
Will be doing lots of eating out of the freezer and baking from scratch. Currently thawing a chicken and a 2 pounds of ground beef.

*trying to not let any fresh produce go to waste (see previous entry)

Eucalyptus

• Stubble
« Reply #8741 on: March 21, 2017, 04:43:03 AM »
Was going to buy milk. Then I decided to not be lazy, so I went home instead and made it from powder. Going to try and go a whole month without buying any fresh milk (only powder if I run out of my current stash). I figure after a month I might be in a habit.

Listed my Olympic weights on ebay, to go with some other things I listed in the last couple of days (including a TV antenna I now don't need, listed for $20...things below $20 I consider badass as there is hassle in organising the listing and postage, etc).

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #8742 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Arranging with a friend to possibly pass my sewing machine off to her for a few bucks.  it works fine (as far as I can tell) but I almost never use it.... Something about having to change out thread colors and bobbins regularly to do anything seems to kill the "convenience" of it to me.  I seldom sew large projects....  Most of the time I hand stitch hems and the like...

If i sell it to her cheap, I am sure she will let me come over every 3 years and use it when I DO have a big project ;)

Packed lunches, ate sandwiches at home when it would have been easy to eat out on Sunday afternoon.  Temps are rising so we are finally not running the heater much.  Here's to hoping we can hold off and not jump right into A/C usage.....

Babysitting a bunch this week.  Two families I know have kids on spring break.  One is spending today, Thursday and Friday with me (even spending half days at my low key office) and the others are being babysat this afternoon and tomorrow morning.  It won't be a lot of money, but we have had lots of dental bills in the last month or two, and our savings rate is still recovering....

Was fed by friends Saturday night in "thanks" for my husband helping them list a vintage truck on ebay.  Win for them -- win for us! 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8743 on: March 21, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
-Packed lunch for work with leftovers I'm not thrilled about. I always pack lunch, but we've been trying *really* hard to have zero food waste. I'm feeling peckish today, but followed through with the planned leftovers anyway.

-Agreed to work an extra shift Saturday. In addition to the money from the task, this month my company is doing weekly gas card drawings for any nurse who picks up an extra shift. And apparently there's a larger drawing at the end for something big- last year they raffled a cruise, they haven't announced this years though.

-Bathed our dog. We used to take her to the groomer, although we've been bathing her at home for over a year now. (Still have the groomer do her nails, but they're pretty technical). Still, $12 every 3 weeks vs $25 every 3 weeks. So that's like $221 saved over the past year by making this change? Not too shabby! Plus this way we get to enjoy post-bath dog zoomies at home.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8744 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »
I fitted two LED light in the outside lights that are on most of the time. From 46W to 6W.

I also shopped at the more expensive grocery store that had 10 NOK (1 USD) market. I bought a lot of staples that I use often or intend to often. I also checked what the competing brands cost and put away the items on sale that cost more than the normal cheaper brand. I also checked the dates.

Eucalyptus

• Stubble
« Reply #8745 on: March 21, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
Plus this way we get to enjoy post-bath dog zoomies at home.
Post-bath zoomies are hilarious!  You're saving money and getting more laughs!

Agree! Just the thought of post-bath zoomies has made my day...thanks! :-)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8746 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:07 PM »
Sold some scrap silver for $10, but more importantly found a "cash for gold" guy I liked. It was a referral from the lady at the big recycling center. They took some scrap aluminum and copper today but don't take precious metals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8747 on: March 22, 2017, 01:09:25 AM »
*Did a whole chicken from the freezer in the crockpot ... it was so tender and delicious! Made stuffing from a bag of bread ends I keep in the freezer until I have 10 cups of bread crumbs/bits. Also made a salad.

*Soaking a crockpot full of mixed beans - will freeze in bags and use in various dishes

*Made a loaf of sourdough bread for lunch - so yummy!

*Made a chili for tomorrow - will be out all afternoon at an appointment for a kid and don't want to be picking up fast food in desperation

*Drank a whole pot of Earl Grey at home - who needs a coffee shop?!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8748 on: March 22, 2017, 01:43:28 AM »
The last 3 laundries I washed were hang on a rack in the bathroom. The weather is not good enough to hang them outside, but as we warm up the bathroom anyway, this is a good place, with the door on a small gap for ventilation. One full machine load fits exactly onto the rack.

I have also started to remove telephone loaders from the socket when they are not in use. Just in case they use electricity when inactive.

As every day, we still have the central heating on 18C and make the house warm by burning firewood from our own garden.

Our cars use compartment heating in the winter. The primary car also has a motor warmer, that ensures that the motor burns cleaner and lives longer. I decided that it was now warm enough to not warm up the 2 compartments anymore. The motor warmer may continue for another few weeks, but I'll turn if off as soon as I can.

My husband turned off the service pipe heating. Unfortunately this pipe is laid at a very shallow depth and therefore we need to warm it the whole winter when it is below 0C to prevent our water supply from freezing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:50:49 AM by Linda_Norway »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8749 on: March 22, 2017, 05:22:56 AM »
The last 3 laundries I washed were hang on a rack in the bathroom. The weather is not good enough to hang them outside, but as we warm up the bathroom anyway, this is a good place, with the door on a small gap for ventilation. One full machine load fits exactly onto the rack.

I have also started to remove telephone loaders from the socket when they are not in use. Just in case they use electricity when inactive.

As every day, we still have the central heating on 18C and make the house warm by burning firewood from our own garden.

Our cars use compartment heating in the winter. The primary car also has a motor warmer, that ensures that the motor burns cleaner and lives longer. I decided that it was now warm enough to not warm up the 2 compartments anymore. The motor warmer may continue for another few weeks, but I'll turn if off as soon as I can.

My husband turned off the service pipe heating. Unfortunately this pipe is laid at a very shallow depth and therefore we need to warm it the whole winter when it is below 0C to prevent our water supply from freezing.

Linda, why do you need to heat both the garage and the car engine? Wouldn't one suffice?