Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 1649813 times)

Raenia

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8500 on: February 13, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Went to the local thrift store to find a birthday gift for a family friend, found two small items (<$5 together), and got out without visiting the book section!  This is a big victory for me :P

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8501 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
Bundled some discounts to save an extra $22 on a magazine subscription for my husband.

It's work-related, so also tax deductible.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8502 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
Helped my son make valentines for his class out of cardstock I already have, rather than running out to the drugstore to buy cards.  We made simple origami toys instead of putting in candy. I had to leave halfway, so husband had to help him finish them... apparently my son wanted to save even more by not giving valentines to the girls! :D

Bracken_Joy, your bike ride is impressive!  And it made me smile to think of your fancy panniers!!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8503 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
we did not buy a house...we stupidly are getting enchanted with properties , search and calculate the whole weekend, then we wake up, check our finances, thankful for our saving rates which are possible only due to being renters and decide to forget about buying.
 so we save a lot of money by not buying :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8504 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
we did not buy a house...we stupidly are getting enchanted with properties , search and calculate the whole weekend, then we wake up, check our finances, thankful for our saving rates which are possible only due to being renters and decide to forget about buying.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/what-did-you-not-buy-today/

;)

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8505 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/what-did-you-not-buy-today/

;)
Thank you mustachepungoeshere  !

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8506 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
Got 10% off kid clothes by asking for a discount.

Used the Kitchenaid grain grinder to make baby cereal instead of paying $7 a box.

We had a break in the rain so line-dried a load of laundry.

Made a $200 clearing some junk out of the garage before beginning remodel to turn it into rooms for the boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8507 on: February 14, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
We realize that we had forgotten to buy chocolate for dessert for Valentine's Day.

Option 1) drive 25km to the nearest store, pay through the nose for mediocre chocolate, drive home. NOPE.

Option 2) no chocolate. Enh, it's an option, but not really a fun/pleasant one.

Option 3) say "hey child, wanna make chocolate squares for Valentine's Day?", melt a half cup of chocolate, pour it into the bottom of silicone muffin tins in little wafer shapes, and let the toddler add toppings of her choice (walnuts, mostly. She loves walnuts). Didn't use anything special, everyone had chocolate, and it was a lovely activity... and we didn't have to leave the house or drive anywhere, so no money spent! :)

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8508 on: February 14, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »
I made a batch of homemade marshmallows for my husband's Valentine's gift since he adores hot chocolate. I'd planned to make a batch of fancy hot cocoa mix as well, but the kid took a short nap today so we just had the normal stuff with a flourless chocolate cake for dessert.

WhoDey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • HoneyDoCarpenter
« Reply #8509 on: February 15, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
I just cancelled my home security saving $50 per month.

I also just started maxing out my HSA!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8510 on: February 15, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »
Went to work. Where I was given a set of free headphones as part of a promo.

Nothing too flash but they are the style my husband prefers so they can go in the drawer for the next time he loses a pair.

soccerluvof4

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at 50
« Reply #8511 on: February 15, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
I've heard people mention it , but for the first time I was dragging and needed a cup of Joe so I just ran some water through the used grounds from this morning and it was perfect.
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8512 on: February 15, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
I bought nothing because I've been snowed in for two days.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Linda_Norway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8513 on: February 16, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »
I downloaded a bunch of podcasts from Norwegian money advisors that advice every week some topic to save money on. I'll listen to it next time we're in a car for a long drive.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8514 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
Neglected to plan anything for lunch today. Threw a broccoli crown, a few snow peas, and some strawberries in my lunch bag. I'll grab some lettuce and a little dressing from the salad bar for $1.50 or so, rather than paying for a whole salad. Will also eat the emergency soup I keep here for just such an occasion.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8515 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
I bought $50 worth of groceries, that only cost me $20 thanks to grocery points. I am eating down my pantry/freezer but needed some spices and ingredients to make more rounded meals. I want to eat down the food stores, but I still want flavourful meals without missing items, otherwise it feels like a punishment.

Right now I have the slow cooker going with some ground chicken, broth, spices and a ton of veggies from the freezer. I am sorta obsessed lately with these kind of veggie soups because I have so many bags of frozen veggies to use up. (I bought then on sale for 50% off)

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #8516 on: February 16, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
I made sure to get all of my fitness steps in so that I:

1. work towards getting our $1200 health care credit
2. get points towards our Amazon gift cards (usually about $800-$1000 a year)
3. get credit for another gift card for participating in a study.

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8517 on: February 16, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Neglected to plan anything for lunch today. Threw a broccoli crown, a few snow peas, and some strawberries in my lunch bag. I'll grab some lettuce and a little dressing from the salad bar for $1.50 or so, rather than paying for a whole salad. Will also eat the emergency soup I keep here for just such an occasion.
Didn't bother hitting the salad bar. Just grazing on the veg and strawberries.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8518 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »
I took my kiddo to open gym using our punch card. Worth the cost since he has now napped longer than the past 3 days combined. Note to self: kid needs more exercise.

After he wakes up we'll walk to the library to swap our books and have coloring time.

I'm trying to stretch as long as possible to our next grocery shop, but we ran out of applesauce and it's the kiddos favorite snack. I made a batch of homemade apple/pear sauce yesterday to dodge that obstacle, but I'm not sure how to get around that we ran out of coffee this morning...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8519 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »
I'm trying to stretch as long as possible to our next grocery shop, but we ran out of applesauce and it's the kiddos favorite snack. I made a batch of homemade apple/pear sauce yesterday to dodge that obstacle, but I'm not sure how to get around that we ran out of coffee this morning...

Now that's a real emergency!  Get thee to the grocery store!!!

(Yes, I am an enabler...)
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8520 on: February 16, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Received a $15 refund from iTunes.

I wanted to use an iTunes gift card (Christmas) to buy a show but I didn't realise our Apple TV was logged into my husband's iTunes account rather than mine.

So I asked iTunes to refund the purchase and they did.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8521 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Cut open the tube of hand cream I keep in my desk at work.

It raised a few eyebrows but I think I can get another week out of it.

I have two or three cut-open tubes in my bathroom right now... drives me BONKERS to waste the stuff that can't be dispensed from a tube or pump (and it's often more than a week's worth!). :)

You were right, Step37!

I thought I'd get another week out of the tube.

Just emptied it. A month later!

[Sorry Step. Always see your name as Steph!]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:11:24 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8522 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »

I have two or three cut-open tubes in my bathroom right now... drives me BONKERS to waste the stuff that can't be dispensed from a tube or pump (and it's often more than a week's worth!). :)

You were right, Steph37!

Oh dear.  I always thought it really wouldn't be worth the bother, just for a couple of extra days worth.  You're making me think twice.  Thanks for posting the update!
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

Linda_Norway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8523 on: February 17, 2017, 03:37:41 AM »

You were right, Step37!

'

Good idea. I haven't done this yet. I squeeze the toothpaste until really nothing comes out of it. It hurts my fingers every time I do this. But I have never cut the tube open. Shall try it once to see how much is left.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #8524 on: February 17, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »

You were right, Step37!

'

Good idea. I haven't done this yet. I squeeze the toothpaste until really nothing comes out of it. It hurts my fingers every time I do this. But I have never cut the tube open. Shall try it once to see how much is left.
I use mt toothbrush's handle to scrape as much toothpaste as possible out of the tube. Haven't gotten to the cutting it open phase because one tube just lasts so long at our house.

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #8525 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »
I use mt toothbrush's handle to scrape as much toothpaste as possible out of the tube. Haven't gotten to the cutting it open phase because one tube just lasts so long at our house.

I usually fold over the flaps on the other side of the the opening in the toothpaste container and shove it up against the corner of the sink (a desk would work if your sink doesn't have corners).  It drives my wife nuts, but I usually use the container for a couple weeks until it's pretty much dry.

I would do this as long as possible before cutting it open as once it's open it dries up really quickly.  I also extend the life of my toothpaste by adding about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking soda to tiny drops of the paste.

Speaking of toothpaste, y'all need to drop by Walgreens by 2/19 and pick up a "free" tube (all you have to pay is tax).  As long as you're a balance rewards member, go online and clip their $3.00 e-Coupon for Colgate.  Details here: https://slickdeals.net/f/9760699-colgate-toothpaste-limit-1-free-after-coupon-at-walgreens-2-12-2-18-17.
<|> My Strava <|>

soccerluvof4

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at 50
« Reply #8526 on: February 17, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
My sons Birthday is coming up so he sent me a link to some BB shoes he wanted. Searching I found them on sale, then used Ebates got 20% off and 5% back in check!

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8527 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »

Now that's a real emergency!  Get thee to the grocery store!!!

(Yes, I am an enabler...)

Haha! I did hold off until today and made do with green tea with my breakfast. I also didn't do a full shopping trip, just items I had on my list that were were out of... and spaghetti squash since they were on sale.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8528 on: February 17, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
Going on a trip to the mountains for my daughter's birthday - packed snacks & made fresh hummus rather than stop and get crap along the way (which is our usual behavior). 
Frugalite in training.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8529 on: February 17, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
Going on a trip to the mountains for my daughter's birthday - packed snacks & made fresh hummus rather than stop and get crap along the way (which is our usual behavior).
YUM! Homemade hummus is so much better than anything you can buy!

Brought tea from home.  I had a salad for breakfast with a side of eggs because we're out of traditional breakfast foods. 

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8530 on: February 17, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
YUM! Homemade hummus is so much better than anything you can buy!

Brought tea from home.  I had a salad for breakfast with a side of eggs because we're out of traditional breakfast foods.

Tastier AND cheaper :)  I found the same to be true with home made yogurt, too.  Next on my list of things to try is home made "nutella", just need a good recipe for it.
Frugalite in training.

soccerluvof4

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at 50
« Reply #8531 on: February 17, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
Adding to this today- My son needed his check cashed so I walked to the bank. Double benefit a little over 4 miles around trip and that adds to the 7 miles I put on this morning.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8532 on: February 17, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Having people over for dinner tonight to celebrate a certain forum member's birthday tomorrow.

I had already decided what I wanted to cook and when I went grocery shopping yesterday most of the ingredients were half price, so I bought what I needed for dinner plus extras for the pantry.

One friend is on an elimination diet while she gets to the bottom of some food sensitivities, so dessert ingredients were slightly more expensive, but still cheaper than going out.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8533 on: February 18, 2017, 02:10:39 AM »
*Made a loaf of bread from refrigerator dough

*Made a bean soup for lunch with chicken stock and beans I made yesterday

*Cooked a chicken in the crockpot all afternoon for healthy, tasty weekend meals

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8534 on: February 18, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
Biked into the inner city instead of taking taking the metro.
10km / 6mls of "sport" and saved 5,40.

Linda_Norway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8535 on: February 18, 2017, 08:02:43 AM »
Chopped and clove some trees that have been laying under a plastic sheet in the garden, left by the previous owner of the house. Free fire wood for the stove. Therefore we can keep the central heating on 18 degrees C.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8536 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
Such a simple one today. I needed some more oil for my butcher block counters. Hardware store, food grade oil $22 / 500ml, mineral oil in the health department at Walmart $4.67 / 500ml. That's a no brainer.

I was going over my 2017 budget where I track every expenditure in detail and I can not believe how much I was able to cut back already just by being super aware of every dollar spent. Knowing exactly how much I am spending and on what specifically has made me rethink every purchases before I make it. I have always been frugal, but it's pretty amazing how even a frugal person can make small mindless "want" purchases that easily add up to bigger numbers.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8537 on: February 18, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
Today for the first time I used digital coupons and close attention to sales while grocery shopping. (Before I would just buy whatever, whenever.) I saved $25 off what would otherwise have been a $125 trip. And the only thing I bought extra of "because it was on sale" was chicken, which will go in the freezer and feed me well into next month.

Also, today was such a beautiful day--61F! which is weird in February! but still beautiful--I really wanted to go out somewhere and walk around, but I couldn't decide where to go. In the end, I stayed home and took a long walk around the neighborhood. So I didn't spend money on gas--or on the drink and/or snack I would inevitably have wanted to pick up on the way home. Victory!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8538 on: February 18, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
Today for the first time I used digital coupons and close attention to sales while grocery shopping. (Before I would just buy whatever, whenever.) I saved $25 off what would otherwise have been a $125 trip. And the only thing I bought extra of "because it was on sale" was chicken, which will go in the freezer and feed me well into next month.

Also, today was such a beautiful day--61F! which is weird in February! but still beautiful--I really wanted to go out somewhere and walk around, but I couldn't decide where to go. In the end, I stayed home and took a long walk around the neighborhood. So I didn't spend money on gas--or on the drink and/or snack I would inevitably have wanted to pick up on the way home. Victory!

That all sounds like a very good day!  Well done...
Dr. Cornel West

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #8539 on: February 18, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Wednesday, made chicken broth. Today, crossed it off the grocery list. Friday, made spaghetti with jar sauce instead of ordering takeout, despite having many available excuses. Today, got DW's iPad (5 years old) fixed for free at the Apple store (she wanted to send me to the app store at first, lol). DD16 remarked that she now doesn't like the mall either. Woohoo! Tonight, having leftovers instead of cooking or takeout.

Not buying any meat until our freezer is empty of meat, and then only one pack at a time, no more stocking up.

Step37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8540 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
I put red pepper jelly on the shopping list last week for an appetizer I want to make next weekend. My husband picked some up and I was shocked at the price ($5.79 for a 300g jar!). Since we had time before it was needed, and he really enjoys doing this kind of stuff, he made a batch today. Red peppers were on sale, so less than $3 for all ingredients (the balance of which were on hand anyway),under two hours of total time including cleanup, and we have SIX x 300g jars of the stuff. Might be our go-to contribution for family potlucks for a while (with crackers and cream cheese, of course)! And now we can take the overpriced jar back to the store...
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Linda_Norway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8541 on: February 19, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »
At work, we get a bowl of fruit twice a week. This week, at Friday afternoon there were lots of apples left. I took the apples home and made an apple cake.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8542 on: February 19, 2017, 01:29:54 AM »
-made chicken wraps for dinner from leftover meat from a whole chicken cooked the day before. Will make soup stock tomorrow with the bones in instant pot

-daughter made a triple batch of banana muffins with 1/2 priced spotty bananas I bought Thursday.

-finally figured out a way to keep an accurate grocery list. I'm terrible at remembering to bring my list to the store. I've found a free app called "Buy me a pie" and it's been working great for me for around 3 months now. (No I don't work for them - it was a random find)

Linda_Norway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8543 on: February 19, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
-made chicken wraps for dinner from leftover meat from a whole chicken cooked the day before. Will make soup stock tomorrow with the bones in instant pot

-daughter made a triple batch of banana muffins with 1/2 priced spotty bananas I bought Thursday.

-finally figured out a way to keep an accurate grocery list. I'm terrible at remembering to bring my list to the store. I've found a free app called "Buy me a pie" and it's been working great for me for around 3 months now. (No I don't work for them - it was a random find)

Can you share it with your family? My husband and I found an app called Wunderlist, that can be shared between iPhone and Android and we keep the shopping list on that. I find it a bit bothersome to have to type stuff on my phone while cooking, but it is very practical when shopping.

Today we filled the car with fuel on the cheapest day at a cheap petrol station, while we were driving past anyway.

And I ate some self picked mushrooms that I found in the freezer.

rebecca527

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8544 on: February 19, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
We went through our book and DVD collection and pulled out anything we don't think we'll ever read/watch again, and yesterday I sent the things that were eligible in to Amazon Trade-In to get a gift card we'll use on stuff we would have bought anyway, and took the rest to Goodwill, getting a receipt for a tax write-off.

Today we listed some stuff around the house we want to get rid of (shelving units we don't use, snow tires that don't fit our current car) for sale on a Facebook yard sale group, and they've already sold. I also did my grocery run and bought dried beans instead of canned and a head of romaine instead of pre-washed bagged salad greens, and noted down some more prices for the spreadsheet I'm building up of which items are cheapest at which stores.

Of course, I also bought some new houseplants for the kitchen, and ordered new valences for the kitchen windows off Etsy. I'm justifying this to myself based on the fact that we save a lot of money by cooking most of our meals at home, so it's worth making our kitchen a pleasant place to spend time.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8545 on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
Decided against the fancy kiinde breastfeeding system.I had gotten a starter pack for $6 shipping only. Sold it for $15.
The system still seems cool, but spendypants and wasteful.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8546 on: February 19, 2017, 05:34:56 PM »
Completed a supermarket survey to earn 50 loyalty points.

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8547 on: February 19, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
My work shoes were looking rough, so I brought them back to the store and they polished/reconditioned them.  Now they're looking quite sharp again and I don't need to replace them.

One of the great things about buying quality is that the brand stands behind them, polishing is free, and the shoes look great for years.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8548 on: February 19, 2017, 08:46:06 PM »
Linda Norway,
I haven't tried sharing the list with family members so I'm not sure! One thing I like is that it remembers my things as I type.

-made pancakes, bacon and hash browns for dinner even though I didn't want to cook.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8549 on: February 19, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »
Cooked instead of buying for a potluck.

Harvested lemons and eggs from the yard.

Collected .35 of recyclables from the roadside; the funds go to a Cub Scout recycling fundraiser.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture